Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

I ride a Canfield N9 and would like to build an SS fatty with similar geometry for dry single track shredding.

Similar geometry, steel, slider/rocker dropouts. I plan on running 65mm Rims.

Any frames that meet this criteria?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nuts
    I know Schlick is making something similar but without knowing the actual numbers you are looking for it's kinda tough to say.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Durango Bike Company Hooey
    singular Puffin
    Schlick aPe

These are the production models I'm aware of. The hooey has the slackest head angle at 67* with suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

I've been looking at the Schlick aPe but I haven't been able to find any reviews. They also state it's built extra beefy for jumping which makes me think it's probably heavy.

Nuts
    Give the boys at Schlick a call I'm sure they will tell you what they weigh. So many of these bikes are somewhat rare so reviews are not common and if you do find one how much faith do you put in it?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Should we assume you're ruling out custom? There are a lot available if you aren't.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Should we assume you're ruling out custom? There are a lot available if you aren't.
    Wouldn't rule it out but I'd prefer a mass produced frame to keep cost down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Get a pugs ss, slam rear wheel all the way forward and lean back til yer head tube angle is slack nuff fer ya. Easy.

rog

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Get a pugs ss, slam rear wheel all the way forward and lean back til yer head tube angle is slack nuff fer ya. Easy.

rog
    17.6" is not that short and the rest just doesn't make sense.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    oh it makes perfect sense.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How short are you going to get with a fatbike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

I'm looking for the same thing. I have a Canfield yelli screamy. Been looking for a fatty with similar Geo. The mukluk/beargrease is very close. Although I have not looked at the puffin. Checked out schlick but not enough info. The new surly ice cream truck will be even closer to your requirements but it's going to weigh 35 lbs complete.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    How short are you going to get with a fatbike?
    Mine is 17.5 and that fits the bigs at around 17.8 so I'd imagine 17-17.25 should be possible with 4.0 but the op didn't give a lot of specifics. Maybe Senior Smudge will chime back in and tell us how short is short I believe he is down in the 16" range with his? It would've been easier in the first place if the OP would have gave his actual number geo requirements.

The Farley is 17.3 but not really ss. and the APe is 16.9".
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Mine is 17.5 and that fits the bigs at around 17.8 so I'd imagine 17-17.25 should be possible with 4.0 but the op didn't give a lot of specifics. Maybe Senior Smudge will chime back in and tell us how short is short I believe he is down in the 16" range with his? It would've been easier in the first place if the OP would have gave his actual number geo requirements.

The Farley is 17.3 but not really ss. and the APe is 16.9".
    I'm looking for 16.25-16.9.

mtbr member
    Has the soma battle axe numbers been revealed yet?

That may be a contender, but it's still in the prototype stage now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    I'm looking for the same thing. I have a Canfield yelli screamy. Been looking for a fatty with similar Geo. The mukluk/beargrease is very close. Although I have not looked at the puffin. Checked out schlick but not enough info. The new surly ice cream truck will be even closer to your requirements but it's going to weigh 35 lbs complete.
    wouldn't be too tough to get the ICT down closer to 30lbs.

rog

29er
    Apr 2010

29er
    Apr 2010
    I would kill for a vertigo. I had a n9, the mukluk is surprisingly agile and playful

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I have the first fat bike that Smudge built from 2+ years ago, and it has 16.3" chainstays. The largest tire I've tried fitting in there is a Nate mounted to a Surly Marge Lite, slammed all the way forward. It's nice because there is still breathing room in there.

As BDundee mentioned, Smudge's own (2-month old) fatty is even shorter (16"?), and can fit the Nates on HED Big Deal rims. Ask him about his opinion on having chainstays that short.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

29er
    Apr 2010
    Second link doesn't work

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Doh! It was just a link to this picture of his bike:
    Getting FAT! Any TRIALS riders riding fatties?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

wouldn't be too tough to get the ICT down closer to 30lbs.

rog
    Hmmmmm. That would put it back on the list for me. Question is how heavy will it be with a bluto? I know light and fat bike don't go together. But my next fat bike will be my only bike with 2 wheel sets. Like the OP I'm being really picky about Geo and wheel/tire fit. So far the mukluk/beargrease meet all my requirements.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    Hmmmmm. That would put it back on the list for me. Question is how heavy will it be with a bluto? I know light and fat bike don't go together. But my next fat bike will be my only bike with 2 wheel sets. Like the OP I'm being really picky about Geo and wheel/tire fit. So far the mukluk/beargrease meet all my requirements.
    focus on tires, lite toobz or toobless, wheels, and go 1x10 or singlespeed. i went 1x10 with a non clutch rear der, a nw ring and dropped a pound off of my charge. dropped another 2 pounds with tires/toobz. another 1/2 pound with pedals/handlebar. i needed new pedals anyway and prefer a carbon bar. next is wheels. then i'll be at 30 lbs. a carbon fork would drop a bunch more but i LOVE the ride of my steel frame/fork combo.

i like the look of the ICT

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

focus on tires, lite toobz or toobless, wheels, and go 1x10 or singlespeed. i went 1x10 with a non clutch rear der, a nw ring and dropped a pound off of my charge. dropped another 2 pounds with tires/toobz. another 1/2 pound with pedals/handlebar. i needed new pedals anyway and prefer a carbon bar. next is wheels. then i'll be at 30 lbs. a carbon fork would drop a bunch more but i LOVE the ride of my steel frame/fork combo.

i like the look of the ICT

rog
    I also have the charge maxi. Like it a lot. But I want my next bike to be able to fit 5" tires, 29er plus, have a symmetrical rear end, and bluto compatible. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a mukluk is bc I love the feel of steel. My other bike is a canfield yelli screamy. To be honest I don't like the way aluminum frames ride. Too harsh. My brother built a kona honzo (steel frame) same time I built my screamy. It's a much smoother enjoyable bike.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    I have the first fat bike that Smudge built from 2+ years ago, and it has 16.3" chainstays. The largest tire I've tried fitting in there is a Nate mounted to a Surly Marge Lite, slammed all the way forward. It's nice because there is still breathing room in there.

As BDundee mentioned, Smudge's own (2-month old) fatty is even shorter (16"?), and can fit the Nates on HED Big Deal rims. Ask him about his opinion on having chainstays that short.
    CS length is 410. I thought they were too short on the first two rides, but I've adapted. Now it might just be my favorite bike ever.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast