Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    564

    Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

    I ride a Canfield N9 and would like to build an SS fatty with similar geometry for dry single track shredding.

    Similar geometry, steel, slider/rocker dropouts. I plan on running 65mm Rims.

    Any frames that meet this criteria?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,704
    I know Schlick is making something similar but without knowing the actual numbers you are looking for it's kinda tough to say.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    333
    Durango Bike Company Hooey
    singular Puffin
    Schlick aPe

    These are the production models I'm aware of. The hooey has the slackest head angle at 67* with suspension fork.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    564

    Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

    I've been looking at the Schlick aPe but I haven't been able to find any reviews. They also state it's built extra beefy for jumping which makes me think it's probably heavy.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,704
    Give the boys at Schlick a call I'm sure they will tell you what they weigh. So many of these bikes are somewhat rare so reviews are not common and if you do find one how much faith do you put in it?

  6. #6
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    Should we assume you're ruling out custom? There are a lot available if you aren't.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    564

    Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Should we assume you're ruling out custom? There are a lot available if you aren't.
    Wouldn't rule it out but I'd prefer a mass produced frame to keep cost down.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Get a pugs ss, slam rear wheel all the way forward and lean back til yer head tube angle is slack nuff fer ya. Easy.

    rog

  9. #9
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Get a pugs ss, slam rear wheel all the way forward and lean back til yer head tube angle is slack nuff fer ya. Easy.

    rog
    17.6" is not that short and the rest just doesn't make sense.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    17.6" is not that short and the rest just doesn't make sense.
    oh it makes perfect sense.

    rog

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    17.6" is not that short and the rest just doesn't make sense.
    How short are you going to get with a fatbike?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    179

    Re: Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

    I'm looking for the same thing. I have a Canfield yelli screamy. Been looking for a fatty with similar Geo. The mukluk/beargrease is very close. Although I have not looked at the puffin. Checked out schlick but not enough info. The new surly ice cream truck will be even closer to your requirements but it's going to weigh 35 lbs complete.

  13. #13
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    How short are you going to get with a fatbike?
    Mine is 17.5 and that fits the bigs at around 17.8 so I'd imagine 17-17.25 should be possible with 4.0 but the op didn't give a lot of specifics. Maybe Senior Smudge will chime back in and tell us how short is short I believe he is down in the 16" range with his? It would've been easier in the first place if the OP would have gave his actual number geo requirements.


    The Farley is 17.3 but not really ss. and the APe is 16.9".

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    564

    Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Mine is 17.5 and that fits the bigs at around 17.8 so I'd imagine 17-17.25 should be possible with 4.0 but the op didn't give a lot of specifics. Maybe Senior Smudge will chime back in and tell us how short is short I believe he is down in the 16" range with his? It would've been easier in the first place if the OP would have gave his actual number geo requirements.


    The Farley is 17.3 but not really ss. and the APe is 16.9".
    I'm looking for 16.25-16.9.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stopbreakindown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    703
    Has the soma battle axe numbers been revealed yet?

    That may be a contender, but it's still in the prototype stage now.

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    I'm looking for the same thing. I have a Canfield yelli screamy. Been looking for a fatty with similar Geo. The mukluk/beargrease is very close. Although I have not looked at the puffin. Checked out schlick but not enough info. The new surly ice cream truck will be even closer to your requirements but it's going to weigh 35 lbs complete.
    wouldn't be too tough to get the ICT down closer to 30lbs.

    rog

  17. #17
    29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    859

  18. #18
    29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    859
    I would kill for a vertigo. I had a n9, the mukluk is surprisingly agile and playful

  19. #19
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,840
    I have the first fat bike that Smudge built from 2+ years ago, and it has 16.3" chainstays. The largest tire I've tried fitting in there is a Nate mounted to a Surly Marge Lite, slammed all the way forward. It's nice because there is still breathing room in there.

    As BDundee mentioned, Smudge's own (2-month old) fatty is even shorter (16"?), and can fit the Nates on HED Big Deal rims. Ask him about his opinion on having chainstays that short.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

  20. #20
    29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    859
    Second link doesn't work

  21. #21
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,840
    Doh! It was just a link to this picture of his bike:
    Getting FAT! Any TRIALS riders riding fatties?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    179

    Re: Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    wouldn't be too tough to get the ICT down closer to 30lbs.

    rog
    Hmmmmm. That would put it back on the list for me. Question is how heavy will it be with a bluto? I know light and fat bike don't go together. But my next fat bike will be my only bike with 2 wheel sets. Like the OP I'm being really picky about Geo and wheel/tire fit. So far the mukluk/beargrease meet all my requirements.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    Hmmmmm. That would put it back on the list for me. Question is how heavy will it be with a bluto? I know light and fat bike don't go together. But my next fat bike will be my only bike with 2 wheel sets. Like the OP I'm being really picky about Geo and wheel/tire fit. So far the mukluk/beargrease meet all my requirements.
    focus on tires, lite toobz or toobless, wheels, and go 1x10 or singlespeed. i went 1x10 with a non clutch rear der, a nw ring and dropped a pound off of my charge. dropped another 2 pounds with tires/toobz. another 1/2 pound with pedals/handlebar. i needed new pedals anyway and prefer a carbon bar. next is wheels. then i'll be at 30 lbs. a carbon fork would drop a bunch more but i LOVE the ride of my steel frame/fork combo.

    i like the look of the ICT

    rog

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    179

    Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    focus on tires, lite toobz or toobless, wheels, and go 1x10 or singlespeed. i went 1x10 with a non clutch rear der, a nw ring and dropped a pound off of my charge. dropped another 2 pounds with tires/toobz. another 1/2 pound with pedals/handlebar. i needed new pedals anyway and prefer a carbon bar. next is wheels. then i'll be at 30 lbs. a carbon fork would drop a bunch more but i LOVE the ride of my steel frame/fork combo.

    i like the look of the ICT

    rog
    I also have the charge maxi. Like it a lot. But I want my next bike to be able to fit 5" tires, 29er plus, have a symmetrical rear end, and bluto compatible. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a mukluk is bc I love the feel of steel. My other bike is a canfield yelli screamy. To be honest I don't like the way aluminum frames ride. Too harsh. My brother built a kona honzo (steel frame) same time I built my screamy. It's a much smoother enjoyable bike.

  25. #25
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    I have the first fat bike that Smudge built from 2+ years ago, and it has 16.3" chainstays. The largest tire I've tried fitting in there is a Nate mounted to a Surly Marge Lite, slammed all the way forward. It's nice because there is still breathing room in there.

    As BDundee mentioned, Smudge's own (2-month old) fatty is even shorter (16"?), and can fit the Nates on HED Big Deal rims. Ask him about his opinion on having chainstays that short.
    CS length is 410. I thought they were too short on the first two rides, but I've adapted. Now it might just be my favorite bike ever.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Welnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    I also have the charge maxi. Like it a lot. But I want my next bike to be able to fit 5" tires, 29er plus, have a symmetrical rear end, and bluto compatible. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a mukluk is bc I love the feel of steel. My other bike is a canfield yelli screamy. To be honest I don't like the way aluminum frames ride. Too harsh. My brother built a kona honzo (steel frame) same time I built my screamy. It's a much smoother enjoyable bike.
    You don't have to settle for aluminum with a Mukluk. Titanium is like steel, just better.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    You don't have to settle for aluminum with a Mukluk. Titanium is like steel, just better.
    and 3 times as expensive. But I have been considering taking the plunge!!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Welnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    862
    On the other hand, if you know exactly what you want, you could have Smudge build a custom titanium fat bike that was perfect. I didn't feel that I knew enough about what I really wanted, so I went with a Mukluk Ti. Of the stock frames available in titanium that I was able to find it had the shortest chain stays and slackest head angle.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30
    I had to go custom to get what you describe. I didn't just want short CS, I also wanted to use a 4.8" tyre.
    Mine is 16.6" 423mm at the shortest setting on the paragon sliders. I've tried it at various lengths and 430mm seems to be the point at which it feels great, any longer and it starts feeling less nimble.
    It is absolutely superb :-)


    P1030107 by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr

  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    You don't have to settle for aluminum with a Mukluk. Titanium is like steel, just better.
    No it isn't. Maybe if built heavier stiffer. My indy fab ti 29er was light but not as snappy as my kona unit or charge. And ti is the only frame material that ive broken under my 165lb frame. Owned ti bikes for a total of 12 years. Over it. Steel is the $hit. Even cheap steel.

    Rog

  31. #31
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Steel is the $hit.
    Implementation is the sh!t.

    I will repeat this until I die.

    I've seen some broken steel frames.

    Implementation. Implementation. Implementation. A thousand times over.

    You could make a bike out of weed and epoxy if you damn well wanted to.

    Disclaimer: I'm not hating on steel. Hooked my brother up with a fat front Karate Monkey. The Karate Monkey is a well implemented steel frame.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

  32. #32
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    I am enjoying the pictures in this thread BTW, on both a personal and future professional level. People love short stay fatties. Good to know.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stopbreakindown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    703
    I am in the same boat as the OP. Have been riding a 2010 907 for 4 years, ready to take the next step. I want something that rides similar to my N9, would love a clone of what Virtue has but can't afford to go custom (@ virtue, that thing is rad)

  34. #34
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Implementation is the sh!t.

    I will repeat this until I die.

    I've seen some broken steel frames.

    Implementation. Implementation. Implementation. A thousand times over.

    You could make a bike out of weed and epoxy if you damn well wanted to.

    Disclaimer: I'm not hating on steel. Hooked my brother up with a fat front Karate Monkey. The Karate Monkey is a well implemented steel frame.
    Pretty much.

    Just about every material used to make bikes can be used to make a great bike. Compromises will always exist with each of those materials and there are always going to be unintended QC issues that will slip out into the world. There are also some people who will break EVERYTHING they ride, regardless of material. I know a few people like that. We don't need to be zealots about material, after all, we're just riding bikes for fun right?

    I sure have fun on my short stay fat bike.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Re: Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

    Quote Originally Posted by virtueminehonour View Post
    I had to go custom to get what you describe. I didn't just want short CS, I also wanted to use a 4.8" tyre.
    Mine is 16.6" 423mm at the shortest setting on the paragon sliders. I've tried it at various lengths and 430mm seems to be the point at which it feels great, any longer and it starts feeling less nimble.
    It is absolutely superb :-)


    P1030107 by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr
    That looks like a pretty high bottom bracket. How does it feel?

  36. #36
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    On the other hand, if you know exactly what you want, you could have Smudge build a custom titanium fat bike that was perfect. I didn't feel that I knew enough about what I really wanted, so I went with a Mukluk Ti. Of the stock frames available in titanium that I was able to find it had the shortest chain stays and slackest head angle.
    This is going to get a touch off topic but it's important so I'm going to mention it here in context.

    The biggest reason to go to a custom builder is to let them give you their interpretation of what you want. The way it's supposed to work is that we use our experience and expertise to come up with the design of the bike using the input we get from the customer.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Hey Sean, is there a thread on mtbr with more details on your bike? Wondering if that's a Jones fork, Blacksheep, or a fork you made. Also wondering what kind of head angle you were using and fork offset if it's a fork of your own making. Thanks.

  38. #38
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    smudge, I never noticed your signature before.

    Your bikes are dope.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

  39. #39
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Hey Sean, is there a thread on mtbr with more details on your bike? Wondering if that's a Jones fork, Blacksheep, or a fork you made. Also wondering what kind of head angle you were using and fork offset if it's a fork of your own making. Thanks.
    I haven't put much info out into the world about it. HTA is 68.5 and offset is 54mm. It's a fork I built just to see what all the hub-bub is about but I'm not going to make a habit of it. As far as I can tell, it attaches the front wheel to the stem just fine but otherwise doesn't do anything special.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    30
    That looks like a pretty high bottom bracket. How does it feel?
    It feels great, BB drop is 50mm so it's a bit higher than the usual 60mm drop and then the height of the Buds raise it a little more, especially at rest.

  41. #41
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    As far as I can tell, it attaches the front wheel to the stem just fine but otherwise doesn't do anything special.


    rog

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-07-2015, 07:09 AM
  2. short travel, slack, short chainstay FS
    By r1Gel in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-24-2013, 09:33 PM
  3. FTW Slack and Short Hardtail
    By Singletrack Pig in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
  4. Front derailleur for short chainstay 29" frames.
    By Ronnie in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
  5. New Frame - Front Hose Is 10 mm Short
    By Toff in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 06:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •