Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    I also have the charge maxi. Like it a lot. But I want my next bike to be able to fit 5" tires, 29er plus, have a symmetrical rear end, and bluto compatible. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a mukluk is bc I love the feel of steel. My other bike is a canfield yelli screamy. To be honest I don't like the way aluminum frames ride. Too harsh. My brother built a kona honzo (steel frame) same time I built my screamy. It's a much smoother enjoyable bike.
    You don't have to settle for aluminum with a Mukluk. Titanium is like steel, just better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    You don't have to settle for aluminum with a Mukluk. Titanium is like steel, just better.
    and 3 times as expensive. But I have been considering taking the plunge!!

mtbr member
    On the other hand, if you know exactly what you want, you could have Smudge build a custom titanium fat bike that was perfect. I didn't feel that I knew enough about what I really wanted, so I went with a Mukluk Ti. Of the stock frames available in titanium that I was able to find it had the shortest chain stays and slackest head angle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had to go custom to get what you describe. I didn't just want short CS, I also wanted to use a 4.8" tyre.
    Mine is 16.6" 423mm at the shortest setting on the paragon sliders. I've tried it at various lengths and 430mm seems to be the point at which it feels great, any longer and it starts feeling less nimble.
    It is absolutely superb :-)

P1030107 by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No it isn't. Maybe if built heavier stiffer. My indy fab ti 29er was light but not as snappy as my kona unit or charge. And ti is the only frame material that ive broken under my 165lb frame. Owned ti bikes for a total of 12 years. Over it. Steel is the $hit. Even cheap steel.

Rog

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Steel is the $hit.
    Implementation is the sh!t.

I will repeat this until I die.

I've seen some broken steel frames.

Implementation. Implementation. Implementation. A thousand times over.

You could make a bike out of weed and epoxy if you damn well wanted to.

Disclaimer: I'm not hating on steel. Hooked my brother up with a fat front Karate Monkey. The Karate Monkey is a well implemented steel frame.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I am enjoying the pictures in this thread BTW, on both a personal and future professional level. People love short stay fatties. Good to know.

mtbr member
    I am in the same boat as the OP. Have been riding a 2010 907 for 4 years, ready to take the next step. I want something that rides similar to my N9, would love a clone of what Virtue has but can't afford to go custom (@ virtue, that thing is rad)

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Implementation is the sh!t.

I will repeat this until I die.

I've seen some broken steel frames.

Implementation. Implementation. Implementation. A thousand times over.

You could make a bike out of weed and epoxy if you damn well wanted to.

Disclaimer: I'm not hating on steel. Hooked my brother up with a fat front Karate Monkey. The Karate Monkey is a well implemented steel frame.
    Pretty much.

Just about every material used to make bikes can be used to make a great bike. Compromises will always exist with each of those materials and there are always going to be unintended QC issues that will slip out into the world. There are also some people who will break EVERYTHING they ride, regardless of material. I know a few people like that. We don't need to be zealots about material, after all, we're just riding bikes for fun right?

I sure have fun on my short stay fat bike.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Short chainstay / Slack front / SS Fatty Frame?

Quote Originally Posted by virtueminehonour View Post
    I had to go custom to get what you describe. I didn't just want short CS, I also wanted to use a 4.8" tyre.
    Mine is 16.6" 423mm at the shortest setting on the paragon sliders. I've tried it at various lengths and 430mm seems to be the point at which it feels great, any longer and it starts feeling less nimble.
    It is absolutely superb :-)

P1030107 by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr
    That looks like a pretty high bottom bracket. How does it feel?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    On the other hand, if you know exactly what you want, you could have Smudge build a custom titanium fat bike that was perfect. I didn't feel that I knew enough about what I really wanted, so I went with a Mukluk Ti. Of the stock frames available in titanium that I was able to find it had the shortest chain stays and slackest head angle.
    This is going to get a touch off topic but it's important so I'm going to mention it here in context.

The biggest reason to go to a custom builder is to let them give you their interpretation of what you want. The way it's supposed to work is that we use our experience and expertise to come up with the design of the bike using the input we get from the customer.

mtbr member
    Hey Sean, is there a thread on mtbr with more details on your bike? Wondering if that's a Jones fork, Blacksheep, or a fork you made. Also wondering what kind of head angle you were using and fork offset if it's a fork of your own making. Thanks.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    smudge, I never noticed your signature before.

Your bikes are dope.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Hey Sean, is there a thread on mtbr with more details on your bike? Wondering if that's a Jones fork, Blacksheep, or a fork you made. Also wondering what kind of head angle you were using and fork offset if it's a fork of your own making. Thanks.
    I haven't put much info out into the world about it. HTA is 68.5 and offset is 54mm. It's a fork I built just to see what all the hub-bub is about but I'm not going to make a habit of it. As far as I can tell, it attaches the front wheel to the stem just fine but otherwise doesn't do anything special.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That looks like a pretty high bottom bracket. How does it feel?
    It feels great, BB drop is 50mm so it's a bit higher than the usual 60mm drop and then the height of the Buds raise it a little more, especially at rest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    As far as I can tell, it attaches the front wheel to the stem just fine but otherwise doesn't do anything special.

rog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2