mtbr member

Shimano XT 775 vs. 785-best choice for cold weather?

Cross post from the Brake forum, with apologies.

I'm a fan of XT brakes-been converting all my bikes over to them as I can afford to. I have on hand a set of 775 (last gen) brakes and a set of 785's (current gen), one of which will go on my fat bike for cold weather use. I know some shimano brakes have issues working in cold-leaky seals, slow piston and lever return. So my question is, would I have a better chance for good cold weather service from one generation over the other? That is, has Shimano addressed the cold weather issues with the 785 generation, or are they both equally prone to trouble.

Thanks!

Nuts
    People will swear the differently but I have had troubles with a set of 775's in the extreme cold. Trying to remember the temp but I know it was a ways south of -10f and I was out for several hours. The brakes where never the same after that, it messed with something in the caliper.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A lot of people think the mineral oil is the issue with using shimano brakes in the cold, and it may very well be part of the problem.

From what I remember, its the materials that brake calipers/levers are made from that are the issue. They expand and contract at different rates which causes issues with tolerance and seals failing.

Kinda like aluminum heads on cast iron blocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I blew the caliper seals on two 775's in sub zero C temperatures. Not sure if they've fixed this or not with the new design. I'll never know, I'm fine with cable brakes in the winter.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys-I went ahead and put the 775's on there. They were the obvious choice when I thought about it, because the lever length is better for gripshift/winter glove use in my experience. I don't usually ride more than an hour or two and not often below 20 f, so hopefully they'll be okay. If not, well, back to cable-pulled or some DOT-fluid based units. Kinda like the looks of the new trail-series brakes from Avid, actually...