not FAT free

shimano biopace chainrings on fat ?

Hi
    i ride flat pedals only and i think biopace chain rings could help a lot to keep steady push especially on climbs at those days when snow does not pack to good and traction is "fragile"
    unfortunately i can not test it in an easy way on my bike so here is my question: did any of You try to use old school shimano biopace chainrings or rotor q-rings ? if yes how did they perform on snow?
    any thoughts ?
    wake me up if i'm dreaming
    cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shimano biopace chainrings on fat ?-biopacemtb.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just put a 33t Rotor q ring on my fat bike which has the 3 position adjustment for best power stroke , my other ring is 26t ring which is a normal ring, its to early for me to say , but for me i like it so far giving me better endurance and efficiency .
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'd say test it out and see what you think. Especially if you already own them. You'll need the square taper bottom bracket. If you are only testing it and aren't sure about keeping it, go for the bb spindle from one of the chopper parts suppliers instead of the Phil Wood big bucks bb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    the 33t Q-ring is available separate and much cheaper than converting your bike with a 100mm phil wood square taper bb.
    the 34t single speed ring is more expensive, but good if you don't want to run a chain guide or derailleur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had the 33T Qring for 2 years. Last year was a 34T on the trailbike and 38-25 on the race bike. The push phase is longer so you have more control and traction.

Fat & Single
    Ran them on 2 bikes a few years back, had a 33t on my SS and 33/22? on my HT then dropped the 22t for 1 x 10. I swore by them at the start and thought i liked the easy "over the top" effect on my SS.

When you spend that much money on a chainring there's always that notion that it was a good idea and that it was worth the cash.

Yes i still feel there was a small deadspot help on my SingleSpeed, " feels like 30t rather than 33t.... got gears, change down to 30t and save the cash.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

This place needs an enema
    26t on mine, can't tell a difference either way.

How much does it weigh?
    Ridden many bikes working at shops that have had Bio-Pace rings, feels like a gimmick to me... Plus it makes wheelies feel awkward. Can't have awkward wheelies, that's terrible.

mtbr member
    It's been years since I looked at bio pace rings but aren't they in fact laid out opposite to the q rings?

mtbr member
    You can position them either way.

Dirt Huffer
    I made my own Bio-pace ring out of an old chainring that I had laying around. I was able to pinch two ends of the ring with heavy duty clamps and push them inwards with a large bench vice. I can't say I noticed a huge difference, but at low candence it felt like I had more power