mtbr member

Shimano 173mm Skewers?

I'm not happy with the Salsa rear skewer on my Mukluk 2, as it keeps coming loose regardless of how much I tighten it. I'd love something like a Shimano internal cam skewer and came across a number of listings for Shimano 173mmm skewers (eg: Y-3SP 98020), but I'm starting to wonder if this is really 173mm measuring the length of the whole thing, not that it can clamp down on to something 173mm long.

Have any of you looked into these skewers and given them a go? At $30 I'm a bit hesitant to just blindly buy one if it might really be more standard 135mm skewer...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    That is for a 135mm rear hub, methinks:
    Product
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    That is for a 135mm rear hub, methinks:
    Product
    I think so as well, but I'm confused as to why they are listed as 173mm. Some of the hubs also offer a 168mm (???) option. I can't help but wonder if it's for bikes with really thick dropouts or something?

mtbr member
    I'm going to combine a pit lock extra long skewer with the lever end of a DT rws and see how that works out...

Oh- and as for the shimonoseki that's the total length of the skewer not the OLD ... Prolly 130 and 135mm OLD

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It would be great if Shimano made some, but the 170mm Hope Skewers I have are really nice.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    It would be great if Shimano made some, but the 170mm Hope Skewers I have are really nice.
    Because they are the same design as Salsa I'm really hesitant to spend the money to try them...

Dirt Huffer
    Check out the Old Man Mountain Skewers. They make a long-ass one. You can cut it to size and put whatever handle and end cap on it you want. And the steel axle holds up fine. These $40 skewers are a friggin joke. Costs them a few doll hairs to make.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I agree the Salsa skewers don't hold but I did have very good luck with the Hopes holding. That being said I like AC/BC's idea!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Bontrager skewers are very decent for the price, there are a couple of different ones available including a Ti one. Any Trek store should have some or can get them quick, all of the ABP mountain bikes take a long skewer, there are two sizes that I know of, something like 190mm and 210mm. By far the best bank for the buck. Thats all I have used besides through axel's.

Steven

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm with shoo. I didn't want to buy fat bike specific skewers so I went to my Trek dealer and picked up a rear skewer for $10. It holds the wheel fine...can't see myself spending $50 for a threaded rod....

Harrumph
    Difference between the Hope and Salsa QRs is that the Hopes use a brass bushing for the eccentric, not a hunk of rubber. Eleventeen times awesomer, and cost the same depending on where you get them from. I would happily buy 135F/170R Shimano QRs
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, after posting this thread I took the suggestion of a local friend and tried lubing the Salsa QRs. His thought (which he'd experienced in the past) is that the skewers were stiff enough that they felt as if they were getting snugged down, but they really were just binding.

I cleaned them, lubed them with some TriFlow (dissolved PTFE), tightened them up, and marked their location as seen here: https://nuxx.net/blog/2013/12/12/tro...-salsa-skewer/

It's been about a month and, thanks to deep snow, I haven't been riding the bike as hard as I would be on dry trails, nothing has moved. The wheel has stayed tight, the QR lever is still snug, and all seems good. So, I figure that was it... The cam needed some lube.

I'll keep checking on it through spring and when I get a chance to ride rough trails again, but for now I'm satisfied.