All fat, all the time.

Shark has a Fatillac!

Well, it's not "new", but it's new to me! Fellow forum member gave me a great deal I couldn't pass up, so the Bucksaw will be the dedicated winter bike with 4.6+4.8's, and the new Fatillac will be the summer steed (likely 27.5+, but may try the 26x3.8's for fun as well)

Yes it will have a lefty max on it

Have a handful of parts on the way so it should be rideable next week.

Anyone know offhand what size rear shock DU bushings it takes?Shark has a Fatillac!-img_20170831_114128032-2672x1503.jpgShark has a Fatillac!-img_20170831_114051380-2672x1503.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    RWC says 21.85mm SHOCK CHART for older Lenz frames. Not sure if they've changed the specs of the linkage/mount though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Purty

Skip the 26 x 4, the height to width ratio is not as good. 27.5 x 3.8 is the ticket, I like my Minions, but it's worth grabbing some Hodag.

50mm rims are fine, could get by with 40mm but the profile would be tall and maybe not as stable.

If you get the itch for a coil spring, I am loving my CC Coil IL.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Noice! Build that thing up already!!!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    RWC says 21.85mm SHOCK CHART for older Lenz frames. Not sure if they've changed the specs of the linkage/mount though.
    Thanks for that.
    I had an old rockshox one I measured, then went & measured the Lenz frame, yep, 8mmx21.8mm hardware should work just fine. Funny the RS ones are 1/2 price of the Cane creek bushings....

Pretty sure it's going to stay 3" tires for the summer. They are just so dang fast on the dirt!

Flying Sasquatch
    Congrats !

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I hear you on the 3" tires, they are way faster, BUT, fat tires are fun too

Think about the coil shock, it is so amazing, words cannot describe the feeling.

beer thief
    I'll be interested to hear your review after all your time on the BS. Still loving mine after 2.6 years

All fat, all the time.
    FYI, reply from Lenz regarding rear bushing.

It's the cane Creek 22.2mmx8mm.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    FYI, reply from Lenz regarding rear bushing.

It's the cane Creek 22.2mmx8mm.

22.2 and 21.8 can both work just fine.

Congrats on the score. 99% sure he had ridden B Fat Hodag's in that frame. IMO that's the best overall feel, but I don't live where you do. Let us know how it goes!

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I'll be interested to hear your review after all your time on the BS. Still loving mine after 2.6 years
    Yeah, I have logged approx 5000 miles on the bucksaw, it really is a great bike. Going to the B+ this summer really made it fast!
    I'm hoping the Lenz will be even a step above.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    22.2 and 21.8 can both work just fine.

Congrats on the score. 99% sure he had ridden B Fat Hodag's in that frame. IMO that's the best overall feel, but I don't live where you do. Let us know how it goes!
    I wondered about that, 21.8mm vs 22.2mm such a tiny difference, I ordered the correct ones after the first set was already in the mail....probably just keep the 21.8's as a backup. One of those oddball pieces that you usually can't find locally if you need one quickly (kind of like Hope brake pads, good luck lol, always keep spares!)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wait till you go to manual off a drop, it's effortless, also dig on the tight wheelbase when working through hairpins.

I got some short cranks and B+ tires mounted last night, heading to Mammoth this weekend.

A 2.8 Minion looks like a road tire in that Mastodon, but it's only obvious from the front

Yeah, I have logged approx 5000 miles on the bucksaw, it really is a great bike. Going to the B+ this summer really made it fast!
    I'm hoping the Lenz will be even a step above.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Wait till you go to manual off a drop, it's effortless...
    Ben, you are not helping my finances with posts like this...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Help, oh you want help, well then, the Fatillac is the worst bike I've ever owned and if I could I'd sell it in a minute.

Devin said he has some unfinished frames in stock, just waiting for an order... color choices and finish options.

Better?

I'm hitting the park this weekend, so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    Ben, you are not helping my finances with posts like this...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    ...the Fatillac is the worst bike I've ever owned and if I could I'd sell it in a minute.
    whew! almost made a huge mistake! thanks for looking out brother!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Shark, any updates? Where you at with your build?

All fat, all the time.
    Shock bushings, bash guard etc should all be delivered today.

2 things held me up from even riding the past 2 days.... forest fire smoke (air quality right now is listed as "hazardous" can't see 1/2 mile it's so bad.....and we got a new great dane puppy Saturday, ball of cuteness, but needs to go out every 2 hours.

I'm hoping if the smoke clears up, I will get a nice after work ride on the new steed on Thursday.

All fat, all the time.
    Dropper installed, bash guard on, rear derailleur on, and rear shock bolted up. By the time the smoke clears, should be ready to ride.

Shark has a Fatillac!-img_20170905_202630694-1503x2672.jpgShark has a Fatillac!-img_20170905_202607208-1503x2672.jpgShark has a Fatillac!-img_20170905_201149851-1503x2672.jpg

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Dropper installed, bash guard on, rear derailleur on, and rear shock bolted up. By the time the smoke clears, should be ready to ride.
    cool, good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    dang dude, good for you.

the smoke is sucking, i have one more multi day river trip on the salmon. supposed to put in saturday. I don't think i want to camp in this for a week. deq says we are smoke bound until a season changing event takes place.

airnow.gov

All fat, all the time.
    Shark has a Fatillac!-img_20170907_204215553-1202x2137.jpgShark has a Fatillac!-img_20170907_204149760-2137x1202.jpgShark has a Fatillac!-img_20170907_204248981-1202x2137.jpg

Almost rideable! Got brakes on, Lefty, Rd and shifter, bars stem....
    Toss on a seat, cranks, and grips, should be good tomorrow.

Still waiting for the smoke to clear.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    with the lefty, that is one unique bike.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Looking good! Dig the purple, nice choice.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

All fat, all the time.
    Thanks, yeah this is my first black/silver bike so the color bits help for sure. My wife said I should have gone with orange hubs, but I'm really liking the purple

So far the build is:
    Lenz frame (large)
    Cane Creek DB CS rear shock
    Lefty max with MCS clamps
    Cane Creek Forty headset
    RF BB
    Blackspire Bruiser taco bash
    RF Next G4 cranks
    Xpedo spry pedals
    X0 10 speed grip shift
    GX 11 speed RD
    Sunrace 11-42 cassette
    KMC chain
    BrandX dropper
    Fizik Gobi M3 saddle
    Easton EC70 bars (soon to be Easton Haven carbon 35 bars once delivered)
    Loaded stem (soon to be Easton Haven 35 stem)
    Ritchey WCS foam grips
    Hope E4/X2 brakes
    Nextie 27.5x42mm rims, Hope fatsno rear, P321 front lefty hub.

Flying Sasquatch
    I'm a bash guard noob. Do they mount to the frame with bolts or is the BB cup holding it on?

All fat, all the time.
    This one mounts behind the threaded BB cup since the Lenz frame doesn't have ISGC-05 tabs (like my Bucksaw does).

I'm not a "slamming into rocks all the time" type rider, just want to protect the chainring & chain from the occasional poor line choice.

Bucksaw with ISCG-05 tabs
    Shark has a Fatillac!-img_20141122_161711_260.jpg

Same bash only the BB mounted version.
    Shark has a Fatillac!-img_20170905_202607208-1503x2672.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Fatillac has great ground clearance, you probably don't need a bash guard unless you're running a big chainring... in case you want to save a little weight.

So I got some new tires, but actually an older tire design: Specialized Purgatory Grid.

I ran these in the pre-Grid formulation a while back, really liked them but they were a tad flimsy and leaked fluid through the side walls. My wife's been riding the Purg Grid on her Levo and she said it made her feel like a superhero, so I grabbed a set to replace my Minion 2.8; the 2.8 Minion is an undersized tired that feels skittish at all pressures.

First ride on the Purg Grid last night, felt incredible, like a a lighter weight and slightly narrower version of my Minion 3.8's, really confidence inspiring even at higher pressures (14psi) which I run until I get them broken in. They feel more substantial than the non Grid Purgs, easily as robust as my Minions.

At $60 a pop, it's hard to beat. I'd love to see these in a B Fat.

As a B Plus, the Fatillac is a ripper!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This one mounts behind the threaded BB cup since the Lenz frame doesn't have ISGC-05 tabs (like my Bucksaw does).

I'm not a "slamming into rocks all the time" type rider, just want to protect the chainring & chain from the occasional poor line choice.

Bucksaw with ISCG-05 tabs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141122_161711_260.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	1156767

Same bash only the BB mounted version.

Name:	IMG_20170905_202607208-1503x2672.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	1156768
    Interested to see how that guard works out for you.
    I have tried them in the past. When you whack them, they rotate and sometimes loosen your b/b

All fat, all the time.
    Yeah I'm curious about that too. Before the direct mount 1x setup, I used to use a bash guard mounted in place of the big ring. Then the bucksaw had the iscg tabs. Hopefully this one works well and doesn't booger the bb

All fat, all the time.
    Maiden voyage today, smoke cleared enough finally.
    This bike freakin rips! Wow, it is fast on the dh, seems to launch out of bermed corners. Very impressed overall.
    I haven't weighed it but seems probably 2 pounds heavier than the bucksaw. Will look at the Garmin later to see faster or slower.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I did twenty miles on the Tahoe Rim Trail today, ended on the Tyrolean Downhill off Diamond Peak, very fast riding, big airs, blind rund off some very committed drops and boulders. Amazing bike, does what the Mutz did, but with more agility and no brake jacking.

Love this bike.

Running 27.5 x 3 Purgatory for longer days, great tire, good compliment to the Minion B Fats.

I know you love your Lefty, but you just gotta try the Mastodon.

All fat, all the time.
    Shark has a Fatillac!-img_20170910_131351893-1503x2672.jpgShark has a Fatillac!-img_20170910_124530828-2672x1503.jpgShark has a Fatillac!-img_20170910_120248801-1503x2672.jpgShark has a Fatillac!-img_20170910_123644024-1503x2672.jpg

Great ride today, no smoke

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's a big tree, where did you ride?

All fat, all the time.
    Beauty bay 257 trails, East side of lake CDA, Idaho. 21 miles, 4400' of climbing. Nobody in my way on the down. Good stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I did twenty miles on the Tahoe Rim Trail today, ended on the Tyrolean Downhill off Diamond Peak, very fast riding, big airs, blind rund off some very committed drops and boulders. Amazing bike, does what the Mutz did, but with more agility and no brake jacking.

Love this bike.

Running 27.5 x 3 Purgatory for longer days, great tire, good compliment to the Minion B Fats.

I know you love your Lefty, but you just gotta try the Mastodon.
    The Mutz jacked? If anything, it would squat, unless Foes was doing some kind of floating brake adapter like they used to. Looking at the numbers, it does indeed squat. It looks like the higher pivot of the Foes produces more squat as far as braking, looking at the numbers. The Lenz still squats, it's a single pivot after all and not a split-pivot, but a reasonable amount of squat is a good thing IME, the last thing you want is to be pitched forward on a steep downhill (very low to no squat). Too much and the rear feels like a jackhammer under braking and in rough terrain of course. This, the curnut shock and wacky leverage rate was probably the reason it felt like it was trying to snap in half any time I took it over rough terrain.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Brake jacking is squating, impaired suspension travel when braking hard when suspension is actively engaged. I rode the Mutz on some pretty serious downhill, the brake jacking was enough to make me uncomfortable at speeds if I had to work the brakes hard while negotiating tech terrain at speed.

The Lenz does not have that problem to the same degree. I rode very serious downhill this past weekend, big air, super tech, lots of hard hits and abrupt braking while slamming through the travel, and I didn't notice significant loss of travel or wierd suspension issues.

If I had a 150mm travel DW fat bike to compare... but I can only dream.

Realistically, I always want more, but as a multipurpose bike, the Fatillac marks all the boxes. I still wish I had insertion for a 150mm dropper, but I'm adapting...

[QUOTE=Jayem;13331305]The Mutz jacked? If anything, it would squat, unless Foes was doing some kind of floating brake adapter like they used to. Looking at the numbers, it does indeed squat. It looks like the higher pivot of the Foes produces more squat as far as braking, looking at the numbers. The Lenz still squats, it's a single pivot after all and not a split

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    [QUOTE=Nurse Ben;13332227]Brake jacking is squating, impaired suspension travel when braking hard when suspension is actively engaged. I rode the Mutz on some pretty serious downhill, the brake jacking was enough to make me uncomfortable at speeds if I had to work the brakes hard while negotiating tech terrain at speed.

The Lenz does not have that problem to the same degree. I rode very serious downhill this past weekend, big air, super tech, lots of hard hits and abrupt braking while slamming through the travel, and I didn't notice significant loss of travel or wierd suspension issues.

Realistically, I always want more, but as a multipurpose bike, the Fatillac marks all the boxes. I still wish I had insertion for a 150mm dropper, but I'm adapting...

Brake jacking raises the rear suspension when the brakes are applied, brake squat lowers it. The Mutz squats, which , depending on your preferences, is desirable as it applies more downward force to your rear tire under braking maximizing your braking power, especially with a fat tire. Jacking would be undesirable as lifting the rear would shift weight to the front.
    Ideally you want to apply your rear brake first, sink the rear end then apply the front hard, on downhills anyway. Trailbraking is another ball of wax........

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay, I see what you're saying.

In the case of the Mutz, it was "jamming", so wherever the suspension was in it's travel when I braked hard, it stay there until the brake is released. At times it was low, at times it was high, so maybe a better description would be suspension jamming.

^This was a big deal, it really made the bike hard to control at times.

The Lenz doesn't do it, that's my point.

[QUOTE=SAM313;13332401]
    Brake jacking is squating, impaired suspension travel when braking hard when suspension is actively engaged. I rode the Mutz on some pretty serious downhill, the brake jacking was enough to make me uncomfortable at speeds if I had to work the brakes hard while negotiating tech terrain at speed.

Brake jacking raises the rear suspension when the brakes are applied, brake squat lowers it. The Mutz squats, which , depending on your preferences, is desirable as it applies more downward force to your rear tire under braking maximizing your braking power, especially with a fat tire. Jacking would be undesirable as lifting the rear would shift weight to the front.
    Ideally you want to apply your rear brake first, sink the rear end then apply the front hard, on downhills anyway. Trailbraking is another ball of wax........

Elitest thrill junkie
    Brake jack is just that, when the rear end jacks up, brake squat is squat, when the rear end squats. Many Horst link bikes use to have terrible jack, pitching you forward on steep descents under braking. This is almost impossible on single pivots without a floating setup. Brake squat and jack cause stiffening of the suspension, jack keeping it artificially extended and squat keeping it artificially compressed. The difference though between those bikes isn't huge in this respect and most likely more due to shock tune/rate and some geometry differences, but it's the end result that matters, if you feel the suspension stays more compliant and gives you more control, that is definitely a win.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All fat, all the time.
    Rode some chunk today, cleared a line or two that normally was hike a bike. Also dropped the tire off the trail edge and almost rolled off a cliff lol. Fun stuff.

All fat, all the time.
    Shark has a Fatillac!-img_20171105_124008282-1503x2672.jpg

Played in the snow today, she climbs very well!
    I'd ride this all winter but the bucksaw will fit a larger tire in the rear....

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006

Name:	IMG_20171105_124008282-1503x2672.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	1165859
    cool! no snow with mine yet...