Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WNC Native

Sharing the Fat Bike Love, with my Mom!

Last night my mom rode my wife's Mukluk 3 on one of our normal weekly evening rides. Just as a background, she used to have a 2010 GF HIFI Pro and a 2009 GF Rig SS bike. Last fall we sold the HIFI Pro and built her up a light 1x10 HT with ultralight I9s(with a new 08 Rig Frame) to replace it.

Then out of curiosity she agreed to ride my wife's bike just to see what the fat tires was all about. Result was-

She LOVED IT!!! She was faster on almost every trail (climbing & descending). Some of her comments were-
    "you don't have to pick a line through roots, because it makes it feel like they aren't even there"
    "It's sooo stable"
    "It corners so darn well"
    "It looks like it would be so bulky and awkward to ride, but it's the opposite"
    and "this is the most fun I've had on a bike in years"

"I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That is awesome.

Holy crap... awesome mom! So I take it we know what she will be buying next?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good on her!

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Holy crap... awesome mom! So I take it we know what she will be buying next?
    There were several questions asked last night and she's been looking today.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mighty sailin' man
    fantastic

can't wait to see her new ride
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That is one kick ass mom you have!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for sharing NJ...

Should she get her own...if she doesn't want to join the forum...let her post under your name with her impressions...?

Again...thanks

mtbr member
    I love your mom. I wish my mom would ride with me haha

Moderator Moderator
    Tell Mom she's welcome to VT next winter if she wants to try some snow! For real!

mtbr member

Sharing the Fat Bike Love, with my Mom!

I gave a friend a similar epiphany tonight, she loved the fatty. It's a good feeling to spread the love. We rode things that she never has in the past, and she felt awesome because of it. What great things we ride.

Fat & Single
    Nice work NJ's Mom !!!! She is looking good on that green Muk.

You've got her chrissy present sorted anyway.

Awesome !
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

addicted to chunk
    My folks took mine for a spin around the neighborhood last year, all smiles! Fun stuff
    Riding.....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I'll bet it was tough on her, giving it back that is...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    That is pretty cool really, I couldn't imagine my mom riding a bike let alone going fat biking with me. Good for you! Good for both of you!

turtles make me hot
    My mom used to do some pretty cool rides in the past. She used to ride my brother's Mongoose Rockadile.
    That's very cool that your mom rides and that she enjoyed the Muk.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You know Mothers Day is coming up.

mtbr member
    My wife crashed her skinny bike last year and has since been terrified of riding. She loves the idea of riding and loves riding wjen she gets out. She has just been to scared to try and I dont blame her really. I dont want to push her to try again. She needs to want to. The other day at the park i brought my pug an he said, " I want to ride". Of course I dropped the saddle all the way and she hopped right on. He couldnt stop smiling, she exclaimed over and over how much fun it was. She said she felt far safer on the pug. I let her ride as long as she wanted. Now she wants a pug in her size. Snapped a few shots of her riding but I doubt if she'd want them up here. Maybe I'll ask.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Awesome...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

biking Mom

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Awesome...
    So, I am the Mom on the Fat Bike. ...OMG!! It was such a blast! I was hesitant to try this bike. After I rode it, I was really hesitant to take it back home. I am definitely looking for my own now!!

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara K. Whitmire View Post
    So, I am the Mom on the Fat Bike. ...OMG!! It was such a blast! I was hesitant to try this bike. After I rode it, I was really hesitant to take it back home. I am definitely looking for my own now!!
    Play the Mom card, and just take it. Your son probably needs a new one anyways.

Known to Bite
    Aug 2008
    AHEM..... just to clarify, the bike belongs to NJ's WIFE (that would be me) I encouraged her to take MY fat bike for a test ride and although I told my mother-in-law (who I love dearly) that she can BORROW my fat bike anytime she wants, she cannot HAVE it!! I LOVE MY fat bike!!
    It is a super fun bike. Actually right after I got it I told NJ I was gong to hurt myself on it because I was riding over much larger stumps and rocks just to see if I could. I love the stability, in corners I feel like the tires are Velcro. Climbing surprised me, I thought since the bike was heavier than anything I have ever owned, climbing was where I was going to really feel the extra weight. But that isn't the case at all. In fact I feel like I am climbing faster. And the handling on a fun swoopy downhill is something that has to be experienced because words will not do it justice.
    --. --- .. -. --. / - --- / -- .- -.- . / .. - / - --- / - .... . / - --- .--. / --- ..-. / - .... . / .... .. .-.. .-..

mtbr member

Re: Sharing the Fat Bike Love, with my Mom!

This thread just gets more and more awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Hope the fat bike

Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    My wife crashed her skinny bike last year and has since been terrified of riding. She loves the idea of riding and loves riding wjen she gets out. She has just been to scared to try and I dont blame her really. I dont want to push her to try again. She needs to want to. The other day at the park i brought my pug an he said, " I want to ride". Of course I dropped the saddle all the way and she hopped right on. He couldnt stop smiling, she exclaimed over and over how much fun it was. She said she felt far safer on the pug. I let her ride as long as she wanted. Now she wants a pug in her size. Snapped a few shots of her riding but I doubt if she'd want them up here. Maybe I'll ask.
    I can respect and understand your wife's feelings after crashing. I crashed a few years ago and after 2 surgeries and several month rehab was pretty reluctant to get back on a bike. Man, am I glad I did. I really think the fat bike and the stability it brings would be the ticket to getting comfortable on a bike again. And... they are great fun!!

mtbr member
    This thread is awesome. Nitrous, don't let your children ride fat bikes.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast