Flying Sasquatch

Serious question: Should I consider a Bucksaw

I weigh 265 with gear and I like to send it on my hardtail. The only reason to buy a FS bike would be to send it bigger and do drops (on to a landing, not flat). In my mind the Bucksaw isn't made for that, and I should get a Mutz, Fattilac, or Farley EX 8.
    Should I consider the bucksaw?

All fat, all the time.
    I wouldn't consider the bucksaw or the Farley for that riding at your weight.
    My bucksaw cracked and I'm 165, and do not jump.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, the only frame that has a history of breaking is a Bucksaw, so yeah I'd probably think twice there, as well, if you want to get agro then I'd look at a frame that's burly.

The Mutz is a bomber frame, I rode mine hard, built three, I'll attest that it's a beast.

No issues that I know of with the Farley, looks tough, I'm sure it's at least as burley as the other Trek FS frames.

The Fatillac is killer, but it comes at a price. I ride one, it's my first choice.

The Farley can be had for less, but you need to buy a complete. The Mutz and Fatillac can be purchased built or as a frame only.

The Mutz and Fatillac have 5-6" of travel, the Farley has 5" of travel.

The Mutz and Farley have long chainstays, the Fatillac has short chainstays.

The base price for a Mutz frame and shock is the same as a base price for the Fatillac with a shock.

I'd get an ebike

Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    I weigh 265 with gear and I like to send it on my hardtail. The only reason to buy a FS bike would be to send it bigger and do drops (on to a landing, not flat). In my mind the Bucksaw isn't made for that, and I should get a Mutz, Fattilac, or Farley EX 8.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sorry to thread hijack, but never heard of issues with Bucksaws cracking. Where is this claiming coming from? Is it that specific frame, or a salsa thing. Just curious if I need to unload any of my gear before it cracks :$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Mine had a hairline crack right above the weld where the seat tube meets the bottom bracket (mine was shy of 2 years old). Salsa only warranteed the front triangle and I had to pay the shop to swap everything.
    I heard another rider had a similar crack.

The is also a post that shows a rider with a cracked seat stay that resulted in a bad crash.Serious question: Should I consider a Bucksaw-img_20160720_201048919-1600x900.jpg

bigger than you.

I weighed as much as 278 (I'm currently at 248) and have ridden my alloy bucksaw hard in typical East Coast Rocks conditions. I typically ride in areas with 2' logs, up to 3' huck to flats and drops, rollers , gaps and rock gardens and have had zero issues. It's set up 90% of the time as a 27.5+ bike, so even more is being transmitted to the frame instead of getting absorbed by the tires. I've put about 2000 miles on the bike, so ymmv

since 4/10/2009
    The only reason to buy a FS bike would be to send it bigger and do drops (on to a landing, not flat).
    It's not the only reason to buy a full suspension.

But true, the Bucksaw is a less burly bike than some of the other options so riding it hard and aggressively by a big rider might be a bit much.

I'm probably around 200lbs all suited up and have had mine since the first ship window bikes were in "the wild". I have over 2,000mi on mine, and some of that has been on some pretty rugged conditions with jumps and drops and whatnot. Mine has held up, but I'm not punishing it like that every time I take it out. Mine's in the shop right now getting some TLC and having a broken spoke nipple fixed.

I will say this - with the way you want to ride, do not buy anything with a Bluto fork. It's the most limiting component on the Bucksaw. I have a Wren fork on mine (after riding the Bluto for a bit over a year). The Bluto is an XC fork and that's all it will ever be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would not think the bucksaw is a good choice for heaver riders, I am 245 or so and I broke 2 rear chain stays on a bucksaw with no jumping only trail riding. I love my Mutz I have now, but think I would like to try a Fatillac because of the shorter chain stays.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Serious question: Should I consider a Bucksaw-20160604_134227.jpg  

Serious question: Should I consider a Bucksaw-20160604_134203.jpg  

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    I would not think the bucksaw is a good choice for heaver riders, I am 245 or so and I broke 2 rear chain stays on a bucksaw with no jumping only trail riding. I love my Mutz I have now, but think I would like to try a Fatillac because of the shorter chain stays.

Good god.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Just riding along......

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pretty much I am sure it was cracked before I started heading back down. I was cruising back down at a fair clip and the back felt like a flat or something then it mushed down and all he'll broke loose.

Gimme free stuff
    Hope you fared better than that bike
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just make sure to always set the sag right and monitor travel usage. Err on the side of caution to prevent bottoming the rear shock so maybe set it at 25%-20%. Check for cracks frequently; replacement chain stay/ seat stay are <$200 apiece.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Serious Answer: No

Quote Originally Posted by rcracer2 View Post
    Just make sure to always set the sag right and monitor travel usage. Err on the side of caution to prevent bottoming the rear shock so maybe set it at 25%-20%. Check for cracks frequently; replacement chain stay/ seat stay are <$200 apiece.

This is in no way an acceptable strategy. If you have to set sag so high that you lose small bump sensitivity, you've bought the wrong bike. If you can't use full travel regularly, you've bought the wrong bike. If you break the bike through no fault of your own, and the manufacturer charges you to fix what they failed to properly design, you've bought the wrong bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I gotta agree with Mike, I'm no lightweight, I ride hard and don't break frames. I have broken other things and when I do it is almost always due to product design flaws.

Seriously, you buy a mountain bike with full suspension and it breaks while being used as a mountain bike, WTF. Unless you were doing crazy arse enduro on a budget xc bike or Red Bull Rampage, the bike should not break.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    ...Seriously, you buy a mountain bike with full suspension and it breaks while being used as a mountain bike, WTF. Unless you were doing crazy arse enduro on a budget xc bike or Red Bull Rampage, the bike should not break.
    Show me a major manufacturer who have never had frames crack or break. I am a lightweight and have broken Treks and Rocky Mountain full suspension bikes "just riding along", WTF. Gigantic is a gigantic dude, read his post. I have beat the shit out of my Bucksaw. If you pound on any aluminum frame long enough it will develop cracks, there is a fatigue limit.

Mike C has issues with Salsa as evidenced by many of his posts. You have been anti-Bucksaw for a couple years based on a couple of rides on an ill-fitted bike. Get over it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Show me a major manufacturer who have never had frames crack or break. I am a lightweight and have broken Treks and Rocky Mountain full suspension bikes "just riding along", WTF. Gigantic is a gigantic dude, read his post. I have beat the shit out of my Bucksaw. If you pound on any aluminum frame long enough it will develop cracks, there is a fatigue limit.

Mike C has issues with Salsa as evidenced by many of his posts. You have been anti-Bucksaw for a couple years based on a couple of rides on an ill-fitted bike. Get over it.
    And mass production along with heat treat/ aging issues of aluminum in the manufacturing process were never an ingredient in survivability of an aluminum frame from any manufacturer. Pfft!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Salsa did a good thing for fat biking by working with SRAM to build the Bluto, sadly neither company had the foresight to see the potential for full suspension fat bikes to become more mainstream for all mountain riding.

This is not a blemish on Salsa or SRAM, though I do think they dropped the ball in terms of improving their products once the writing was on the wall. All this is water under the bridge, we now have other fork and frame options these days.

Neal is asking a very valid question about the Bucksaw. The dude is 265# and rides big. No one in the right mind is going to recommend that he buy a Bucksaw. If Neal gets a Bucksaw, he will break it, then he'll be on MTBR complaining about it, that's not good for anyone.

beer thief
    ...Neal is asking a very valid question about the Bucksaw. The dude is 265# and rides big. No one in the right mind is going to recommend that he buy a Bucksaw. If Neal gets a Bucksaw, he will break it, then he'll be on MTBR complaining about it, that's not good for anyone.
    I'm not suggesting it's an appropriate bike for someone 265#, I'm suggesting that you STFU with your constant anti-BS spew. The bike has been amazing for me & thousands of other people. Yes, a very small percentage developed cracks likely due to manufacturing tolerances, which IME Salsa took care of at no charge.

Mike C has issues with Salsa as evidenced by many of his posts.

My issues with Salsa stem from situations similar to this, where an under-engineered part is deemed to be "fine", and even after multiple failures happen they don't take ownership of it. They are hardly the only ones doing this, but it's been their MO with frames, forks, and rims dating back to the early 2000's.

mtbr member
    I'm sure it has nothing to do with one of their sponsored rider

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dude, I think you need to go for a ride, the personal attacks are unnecessary and counterproductive.

Anyone who can read will understand what I'm saying, in the same way that they will understand what you're saying.

We don't have to agree, but disrespecting me says more about you.

So I tell ya what, I'll block you and you block me, then you won't have to worry about reading things that upset you.

Neal has been rather silent through all this so I suspect he got the message

[QUOTE=radair;13375635]I'm not suggesting it's an appropriate bike for someone 265#, I'm suggesting that you STFU with your constant anti

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey guy the reason I posted this is I truly believe there is a problem with this bike for heavier rides. Not to start a fight. But you can make those decisions for yourself. Also this bike was less than a year old and it was somewhat warranted. But after my lbs was heavily involved and quite a bit of back and forth. I was disappointed how it was handled, I expected better.
    Cheers and have fun whatever bike you ride!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Im 6' 2" 285 and purchased a NOS 2016 Bucksaw a few months ago. I ride pretty hard on the trail and in the city. I treat my bike like a bmx, riding steps, jumps to flat, a few crashes on concrete. I'm all the time jumping over benches, bumping smaller obstacles to get on larger ones. On the trail, I'm a pretty clumsy rider. I don't choose lines, I go straight. Ill try just about any trail feature. I love riding over logs, roots, rocks. They just built a pump track, so I'm going to start riding that when it opens. Not really worried that my bike is going to break under me. If it happens, so be it, I know Im a fata$$. I can break a sweat if i turn around too fast.

I keep looking at the Fatillac as a potential next bike, but it just doesn't do it for me aesthetically. Same with Foes, it is visually unappealing to me. hopefully some more options come to the market when I'm ready to buy again. I absolutely love the 11nine hemicyon. I don't know if it's even being built anymore though.

Long term plans for my Bucksaw: 120 Mastodon and 27.5x3.8 wheelset.

All fat, all the time.
    and it was somewhat warranted. But after my lbs was heavily involved and quite a bit of back and forth. I was disappointed how it was handled, I expected better.
    Similar to my warranty claim. They tried to deny it because I had a lefty on it. Shop had to show them with pics and a tape measure that the a2c was the same as a bluto.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Similar to my warranty claim. They tried to deny it because I had a lefty on it. Shop had to show them with pics and a tape measure that the a2c was the same as a bluto.

And this for a crack at the BB! Super classy, Salsa...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I used to drink the Salsa Kool aid but not any longer. I've heard a couple of stories from some local guys that have had issues with cracked frames and getting static when trying to make a warranty claim. I am down to two Salsas and both are not ridden hard.

Regarding the Bucksaw, Salsa has been "giving" them away for quite a while now. Use whatever inventory is left to satisfy warranty claims..."buck" up and make the customers happy. Seems like they are trying to grow sales with all of the REI business they are doing at the expense of the small dealer. Not sure what to make of the company at this point...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Also this bike was less than a year old and it was somewhat warranted.
    That's a pretty bad failure, I'd be pretty angry if it happened to my bike.

Honest question. What do you mean by "somewhat warranted". Were you the original purchaser and they gave you grief about replacing the stuff that broke when the frame failed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This thread has really gone places

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This thread has really gone places
    Every thread is a party when Nurse Ben hits the dance floor
    https://tenor.com/view/retard-der-gif-8226421

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sluglike View Post
    That's a pretty bad failure, I'd be pretty angry if it happened to my bike.

Honest question. What do you mean by "somewhat warranted". Were you the original purchaser and they gave you grief about replacing the stuff that broke when the frame failed?
    Yeah it was kinda worth case, going at a pretty good pace and it let go. Then I got rag dolled down the hill and got to pack my bike out 15 or 16 miles down a single track in my fancy bike shoes back to my truck. I didnít want anything but put back whole. My altitude was Sh1t happens. The good part was I had no long lasting effects, just scrapes and bruises. I was unimpressed by the back and forth with Salsa and how they dug their heals in about all the damage parts, as you can see I spent a fair amount on them. So they did give me a few hundred over the cost of the frame and I keep all the part off the frame which I used some of them on my new build. This took weeks to get a check so I was glad I was in a position to build a different bike in the meantime. Before that I was a Salsa fan and had owned a couple Salsas, but canít say I would be in a hurry to own another one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear it wasnít worse, it certainly could have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    And this for a crack at the BB! Super classy, Salsa...
    Exactly.
    I realize these things happen, but when they argue, then only agree to send out a front triangle, leaving me to foot the labor for the shop to pull everything and move it over.... Yeah, won't be a repeat customer!

As a comparison, I had a 6 year old trek (bought new, lifetime warranty on frame). I even lost my receipt. Shop had a new frame for me in under a week. No questions asked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Every thread is a party when Nurse Ben hits the dance floor
    https://tenor.com/view/retard-der-gif-8226421
    I'm pretty sure this thread went South without me, but you're the professional...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    For the oP, i have about 250 rough miles on my bucksaw (mostly in b+) including an enduro style event where I went balls to the wall in some pretty techy sections. Ive had 2 rough wrecks on it as well and its been sturdy as hell and still as smooth as the day I bought it. Mine is a 2016 carbon x01. Im 195 though, so not quite apples to apples. But just saying that its been beast mode.

Lookong at some of these stay failures it appears to be 2015s as well.