mtbr member

Semi-fat bike rear wheel options

I'd really like to have a proper fat bike for snow riding, but can't buy a new complete bike at the moment. Probably not going to get new wheels either, but still, I'd like to know what would be the best way to make a semi-fat bike out of my Ragley Blue Pig.
    For the front, Surly Pugsley fork with Large Marge (or perhaps the new Rolling Darryl) and Larry tire would be the obvious solution. But what would be the best choice for the rear:

-24" Large Marge with 3" tire

- 26" Large Marge with 2.6" tire

I think both wheels might fit on the back of my bike.

is buachail foighneach me
    Christ they've got an annoying website. Just tried to look up the bike and couldn't find too much info about the tire clearance. Get some tire clearance measurements at 12-14" from the center of the dropouts on the chainstays. If at 13.5-14", you've got 3" or slightly more clearance, you could just go with a 26 x 3" tire.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    "Three Finger" chainstay bridge is exclusive to Ragley. Allows massive tyre clearance so you can fit up to 2.5in rubber" ,quoted from chain reaction cycles website.

I'm using Spank Stiffy rims on a Specialized Pitch. 40mm wide with built in bead locks. They're probably skinnier than you'd like, but if you want to run low pressure you don't have to worry about the tire sliding on the rim and tearing the valve stem off.

mtbr member
    24 x 3.0in fits in a Ragley Blue Pig.

mtbr member
    Didn't see a Brant design fatbike at the StrathPuffer 24 Hour at the weekend. Major disappointment...

And Dave got the TD-1 all mucky. (Great ride btw)

Any news of a Brant design fatbike?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Members who have read this thread: 0