mtbr member
    May 2010

sell road bike for fatty?

I've got a few bikes in my stable and have been thinking about adding a fat bike and maybe losing the Road Bike. what I have now:

1: full squish 6" Turner Six Pack
    2: cheap Trek 4300 hardtail setup with smooth tires for the road
    3. Giant Defy Carbon Road Bike

I bought the Turner to start riding with some friends who are very good technical all mountain riders. I have only riden this bike minimally so far due to long recovery from knee reconstruction.

While recovering I bought the Giant to rehab the knee and do short road rides as I live in a very hilly area. I really don't like riding the road much, but it's easy to do after work.

The Trek is my main all around bike and mostly serves the purpose of daily dog walks with my pit mix via "walky dog" attachment.

The trek actually get's pretty much daily use so that is what it will stay designated to.

I'm thinking about letting the Giant go since I really am not a roadie and it gets ridden very little. I'm thinking about letting her go and replacing her with a fatty, which I could see getting used more.

if I want to ride the road I would sitll have the trek 4300 with smooth tires, which is fine for me as I use it only for training purposes and don't care about keeping up with anyone or doing very long rides.

the problem is my budget is only about $1200-1500 which probably puts me in a rigid bike, or a low end bluto equipped bike.

Any suggestions are appreciated

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For your first fat bike, you don't really need a Bluto- it's nice to have, but good tires and components are more important. $1500 buys a pretty good fat bike, and you can upgrade to a Bluto later.

Rocking on a Rocky
    LBS here salsa Mukluk 3 2014 for 1500 Canadian. The difference in the dollar would probably pay for the shipping.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sell the bike you use least!

FWIW, my fat bike is the least used, although i know ppl who ride them more then their other bikes.

The road biking is easiest for me since i just head right out the door after work. It's kept me in very good shape (the constant cadence of pedaling road is more beneficial then mountain biking which requires lots of coasting.) And the adventure of big-city riding is pretty entertaining for me. I have an unlimited amount of paved path and not-so-busy side streets to explore. On weekends Downtown is dead and its fun to bike through and look around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katoom400 View Post
    I'm thinking about letting the Giant go since I really am not a roadie and it gets ridden very little. I'm thinking about letting her go and replacing her with a fatty, which I could see getting used more.

if I want to ride the road I would sitll have the trek 4300 with smooth tires, which is fine for me as I use it only for training purposes and don't care about keeping up with anyone or doing very long rides.
    I think you just answered your own question?

I mean, if you're not a roadie and speed is not that important, and you just want an all-around bike to complement those that you have, then I say go for it.

A few weeks down the line, and you find yourself enjoying the fatty more and more, you might think of selling the other ones too?

cheers!

mtbr member
    I just want to say that riding on the road is way more fun in a group. Before you give up on your road bike you should try to find if there is a weekly road ride in your area and go on a couple.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The least redundancy would be to sell your trek and pick up an extra wheelset for the fatbike, such as the cheap on-one one. Then you have an AM bike, a fatbike, a regular mountain bike (when the fatbike has regular wheels) and a road bike. Whether you plan on using all may be a different story though.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    I just want to say that riding on the road is way more fun in a group. Before you give up on your road bike you should try to find if there is a weekly road ride in your area and go on a couple.

+1, the roadie will keep you in MTB riding shape simply because of the sustained pace on flats and longer climbs when you encounter them(if this matters)

A Surly Maverick
    Have both

The "Frankenfat" No Ordinary Bike | On - One

This + fat wheels
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode