mtbr member
    Dec 2004

SeaOtter 2016 - What do people hope to see there fat bike related?

I would love to see a greater selection of Fat Forks from all manufacturers.

I would also love to see more trail tires (4.0 and 4.25) as more and more fat bikes are used on dirt as much as snow... especially if they can lower the weights to around 1000grams.

beer thief
    I think you nailed it.

Another FS fatty or two would be interesting too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Since Trek and Specialized both came to market with hardtail fat bikes, I would love to see Giant and Liv come to market with a FS Maestro fat bike, 2 levels of kit, I think they would have a good value product.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I think you nailed it.

Another FS fatty or two would be interesting too.
    Yeah, it would be nice to see more FS fattys, a Specialized or Trek would really bring the heat. I want this not just because I ride one, but to open up the options for non believers.

I find it interesting that folks who ride full suspension on dirt would be so reluctant to ride full suspension on snow.

Granted, there's no need for suspension in all situations; just like gravel burners run rigid which is akin to riding groomed XC trails on a bike, but where the snow is old and rough (how common, right?), how can folks not see the advantage of suspension?

We do need more forks, Fox, Sram, Manitou, X Fusion.

I just wonder why the Pike couldn't be made wider, this would be so simple, and then all the Pike internals could cross over. So how much does a new fork crown casting cost?

I for one could give a hoot about hardtail fatty's, there is nothing new there other than colors.

In terms of components other than forks, pretty much everything we have now is good stuff, there are lots of solid shifting and braking options, tons of rims, some decent hubs, and the tire variety has really expanded.

bigger than you.
    I'd like to see a fox fat fork, more 27.5 x 4" tires, beyond that, seems like we're close to full saturation, although more tires and lower prices for them would be good.

aka bOb
    Show me a Fat Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt with a Fox Fat 34 and I know I couldn't resist. Maybe even spec it with 24" wheels

mtbr member
    How about more 27.5 fat tires!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not that I could afford it, but a carbon FS trail bike that can take a 5+ inch tire just to see how crazy a fatbike can get.

Or rims that have all external spokes like Cobalt wheelsets or the latest BMW R1200GS.

since 4/10/2009
    I agree, I'd not care to see anymore new fat hardtails. Yawn.

A new fat FS bike would be interesting if it was different from what is already out there. A less expensive pricepoint, maybe, or a production fat downhill bike (coupled with sponsorship of a high-profile pro rider who would race it), etc.

Definitely with fat suspension forks. Maybe with a 150x20mm thru axle to stiffen them up.

I would like to see a hub manufacturer specifically make an attempt to redesign fat rear hubs to substantially cut down on bearing failures that big/strong riders especially seem to have trouble with. Bonus points if those improvements can be made to QR hubs so folks with QR frames can see improvements in rear hub durability.

More tubeless-ready tires at competitive prices.

mtbr member
    I think there is room in the market for a true AM hardtail from a major player. I'd still prolly have to go custom for what I'd ideally want ATM.

Some more cheap hubs and heavier hubs that won't sploderize would be great.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    ...Some more cheap hubs and heavier hubs that won't sploderize would be great.
    Reminds me of the first suspension forks... the idea is there, durability isn't.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Not interested in seeing more tech, that's mainly only relevant for bikes that stick to the trails.

Just give me fatter tyres.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Tire options. LOL. Where have you people been? There are SOOO many tire options now. We used to have a couple from Surly and that was it. And by a couple I literally mean 2. Every company under the sun makes fat tires now and you want more options?
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Tire options. LOL. Where have you people been? There are SOOO many tire options now. We used to have a couple from Surly and that was it. And by a couple I literally mean 2. Every company under the sun makes fat tires now and you want more options?
    I'm actually okay with the options for tread. I've found some that work for me. What I want are more of those tires to come with a tubeless ready bead and casing, at least as an option. I would also like to see general pricing shift a little lower. Sure, fat tires will never be as inexpensive as skinnier ones. But the least expensive fat options should be in the $40 range for most tread patterns, IMO. A good lightweight, tubeless ready tire should maybe be in the $100-$120 range (sub-$100 without tubeless ready and lower tpi), and sub-$200 options for studs.

Ambassador of Fatness
    More tubeless-ready options.

A good winter riding boot that doesn't cost $300.00

Other than that, I have all the fat gear I need and I'm happy. Love my Blackborow and the way I have it set up at this point. Super versatile rig.

Less spending money = more money in the bank = more free time to enjoy my bikes.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Still waiting for carbon cable ferrules.

mtbr member
    A proper fat bike from Giant, not that Rocker POS.

Something like the Pivot Les Fat , Borealis Crestone or the top end Farley 9.8, just a lot cheaper
    Last edited by Swerny; 02-11-2016 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    More competitive tire prices, more competitive suspension fork offerings, and FatHubs actually worth the Fat Tax.

Most importantly I'd like manufactures to actually use low temperature oil's and greases in their products. Nothing annoys me more then having to degrease a brand new part to apply proper winter lube/grease. You can't half-ass the job and charge a Fat Tax.

mtbr member
    I'm going to 2nd Smithhammers post above... The cost of winter bike boots is borderline criminal... Someone has to be able to produce a quality boot for a decent price.

The Dog.
    Shimano Fat Cranks.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Since we've had a first and a second, I'll add a comment to the winter bike boot discussion. I don't mind the price if it's the best boot in the world and can't be any better.
    Heck, the $300 that Smithhammer mentions isn't even a reality. The new 45NRTH boot is north of $400. I bought a pair but I'm not impressed. It's too heavy, the cool looking carbon fiber on the bottom of the boot causes the boot to slip off of the pedals, the boot is too high, the top is uncomfortable, and since they came out so late in the winter I haven't been able to test them in real cold yet.

Someone above mentioned carbon fiber ferules. I'll second that.

The Dog.
    We already know the Lake MXZ400 is coming. What more could you want?

My MXZ303's have been perfect. They are the type of gear that never crosses my mind. I never think about them. They just work. Excellent fit. Boa system is flawless. They are very warm. Not psycho warm, but very warm.

It seems like their only shortcomings will be addressed by the MXZ 400. Warmer and taller.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I don't understand the taller part of the MXZ400. Why did they need to be taller?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    ...Most importantly I'd like manufactures to actually use low temperature oil's and greases in their products. Nothing annoys me more then having to degrease a brand new part to apply proper winter lube/grease. You can't half-ass the job and charge a Fat Tax.
    Or at least fit grease nipples to the hubs, BB, and head*. When you consider that a fatbike may spend a lot of its time in very hostile environments, making maintenance easier has to be worthwhile.

*My 1930s bike has oil ports, so why not now?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

LCW
    mtbr member
    a fat Fox fork would be pretty sweet

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I don't understand the taller part of the MXZ400. Why did they need to be taller?
    I get snow packing in the top of my 303's all the time. They do not currently have an option for gaiter attachment, so you're pretty much SOL. Personally, I would rather run a taller boot than a gaiter.

In essence, they are taller for the same reason that snow boots are taller.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    A heated pedal / crank to reduce the buildup that makes it difficult to clip in when starting from deep snow

just saying

Ambassador of Fatness
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    A heated pedal / crank to reduce the buildup that makes it difficult to clip in when starting from deep snow
    Or, you could get a decent pair of flat pedals and never think about it again...
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    I get snow packing in the top of my 303's all the time. They do not currently have an option for gaiter attachment, so you're pretty much SOL. Personally, I would rather run a taller boot than a gaiter.

In essence, they are taller for the same reason that snow boots are taller.
    I ride where gaiters are almost mandatory and are so used to wearing them that I don't give it a second thought. By the way, a special gaiter attachment point isn't a must to use gaiters.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post

To tuck your junk in to.

I think it's theoretically to keep your feet dry. But if it's warm enough for liquid water, why do you need those boots? Anytime you add waterproofing to something you compromise other aspects.

My Swrve softshell pants cover the tops of my boots so nothing can get down the top Maybe it's for the shorts crew.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Yes, I forgot about those who wear shorts.

Trail Ninja
    Winter fat bike park-specific offerings. Might as well add TPMS to the rims too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Or, you could get a decent pair of flat pedals and never think about it again...
    And by extension, not be forced into buying comically overpriced and poorly designed boots from 45NRTH, and just rock $80 Sorels.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    We already know the Lake MXZ400 is coming. What more could you want?
    It to not cost $400.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Exactly. You have the choice of endo or Larry. Have a good day.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    To tuck your junk in to.

I think it's theoretically to keep your feet dry.
    Everyone around here uses gaiters, which do a couple things, they boost the heat for your lower legs, they tuck in any extraneous things, and of course provide that much-needed protection when you step into a deep snow-hole (like stepping off the bike). Not every ride involves the deep snow right off the trail, but some do, and on every other ride they are still working in those other areas.

In almost no-case do you want to tuck stuff into a boot, otherwise, the boot has to be like 2 feet tall IMO, because a "baggy" section will be created at the top, unless you are running something like stretchy xc skiing pants, in which case you don't need to tuck anything in anyways.

SeaOtter 2016 - What do people hope to see there fat bike related?-gaiter.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    But in any case, I don't think Sea Otter is the venue where we will see ANY of the things discussed in this thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think we'll see a lot more plus stuff than fat, although, I did see a FS Fatbike proto on the local trails from a manufacturer near by
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member

studded 29+

Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post
    I would love to see a greater selection of Fat Forks from all manufacturers.

I would also love to see more trail tires (4.0 and 4.25) as more and more fat bikes are used on dirt as much as snow... especially if they can lower the weights to around 1000grams.

A studded 29+ tire option.
    Please!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You cant drop a hint like that without saying you signed a non disclosure agreement, or letting us know a bit more info...

Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    I think we'll see a lot more plus stuff than fat, although, I did see a FS Fatbike proto on the local trails from a manufacturer near by

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    But in any case, I don't think Sea Otter is the venue where we will see ANY of the things discussed in this thread
    All the big manufacturers are there, both bike and component, there may be some tires at a tent, more fat cranks, a frame or two, definitely wheels... there is a good chance of new products debuting there... especially if the manufacturer has items non snow related, like the Specialized Ground Control 26x4.0.... it would be smart to show it at Sea Otter...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    All the big manufacturers are there, both bike and component, there may be some tires at a tent, more fat cranks, a frame or two, definitely wheels... there is a good chance of new products debuting there... especially if the manufacturer has items non snow related, like the Specialized Ground Control 26x4.0.... it would be smart to show it at Sea Otter...

Something tells me Frostbike will have more easter eggs for fatbikers that Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a prediction rather than a request.

10 new fatbike items will be displayed.
    -4 will be meh, we've got enough of them from other manufacturers
    -1 will be interesting and available in 3 months
    -4 will be interesting, said to be available in 6 months, (1 will show in 8 months, 1 will show in 10 months, 1 will always still be in "testing" and "released any day now", 1 we will never hear from again.)
    -1 will be off the wall nobody's going to buy that congrats on spending the tooling to make yourself 50 copies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The special-ed 4.0 ground controls and fastraks be Juggernaut Pro light and actually be released.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    You cant drop a hint like that without saying you signed a non disclosure agreement, or letting us know a bit more info...
    He's from Madison, WI. That likely means Trek.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I have a prediction rather than a request.

10 new fatbike items will be displayed.
    -4 will be meh, we've got enough of them from other manufacturers
    -1 will be interesting and available in 3 months
    -4 will be interesting, said to be available in 6 months, (1 will show in 8 months, 1 will show in 10 months, 1 will always still be in "testing" and "released any day now", 1 we will never hear from again.)
    -1 will be off the wall nobody's going to buy that congrats on spending the tooling to make yourself 50 copies.
    LOVE IT, you are spot on, on all products, not just fat bikes...

The worst is I am always in love the product that is never heard of again....

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    A FatFuel would be cool.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

move on up...
    Indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    A FatFuel would be cool.

sluice box
    Or Pacific Bikes out of the Madlands (Huffy, Mongoose, Schwinn, GT, Roadmaster, Ironhorse and Cannondale) or any other bikes you can find at fine stores like *****, Kmart or Toys R Us.

Funny you can not type D!(k$ sporting goods.
    ptarmigan hardcore

sluice box
    Am I the only one hoping to see a fat eTrike with a springer fork.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Am I the only one hoping to see a fat eTrike with a springer fork.
    I think there's one or two others - check with Nurse Ben...he'll know.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I think there's one or two others - check with Nurse Ben...he'll know.
    I knew it. It is a slippery slope going from Munis to fat tandems and such.

I'm not being an internet bully to NB, we are tight with our ntn love from the mitch's 8itches days.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm hoping for more suspension forks. My fatbike is pretty happy now a days. Now NX was announced i might be able to afford 29+ wheels AND 11 speed this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Still waiting for carbon cable ferrules.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Tubeless Alu rims

Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    How about some lightweight, tubeless, next gen aluminum rim options in widths other than 80mm? Use the same tech as vaporware Other Brother Darryl but in 65mm, 100mm, 29+, etc. Available in complete wheel builds around 177/150 and 197/150 hubs.

Studded snowshoe 2xl / 3xl alternatives and bikes that can run them.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    How about some lightweight, tubeless, next gen aluminum rim options in widths other than 80mm? Use the same tech as vaporware Other Brother Darryl but in 65mm, 100mm, 29+, etc. Available in complete wheel builds around 177/150 and 197/150 hubs.

HED has aluminum rims now.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    A tubeless rim and tire setup that doesn't require juice of any sort and just plain works easily. Rims should be ~90mm and tire(s) in a 4" and 4.8-5". Keep it simple, keep it affordable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So much water under that bridge it's like Venice in the year 2116; assuming the artic ice continues to make smoothies.

Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    I knew it. It is a slippery slope going from Munis to fat tandems and such.

I'm not being an internet bully to NB, we are tight with our ntn love from the mitch's 8itches days.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    A tubeless rim and tire setup that doesn't require juice of any sort and just plain works easily. Rims should be ~90mm and tire(s) in a 4" and 4.8-5". Keep it simple, keep it affordable.
    so you want fat UST? you have no concept of how heavy a fat UST tire would be, do you?

I ran UST rubber about a decade ago. Sure, it worked well, but didn't really address the biggest reason people run tubeless. A ton go tubeless BECAUSE of the sealant and the puncture protection provided. Not sure if it works this way for all tires, but I switched from the UST casing to the Tubeless Ready casing of the same tire, and I felt like the Tubeless Ready tire rode better. UST casings can be quite harsh riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Fat-tires made specifically for SAND. I'm talking beach sand, dunes. High floatation, low tread, pliable tires that are designed specifically for creating a resistance to shear.

mtbr member
    Rockshox Pike fat forks in 135mm & 150mm hub spacing, travel 100mm & 120mm. No torque caps please.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    They do and they intrigue me. But they're the same width class as other brother Darryl, halfway between skinny and fat. Aluminum hed 60s or 100s would be awesome!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    That doesn't inspire much confidence given how much trouble people have had with the HEDs and dillingers...

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That doesn't inspire much confidence given how much trouble people have had with the HEDs and dillingers...
    Dilly's have trouble on most rims. My guess is the new version will be TLR like the other 45nrth tires. That is if they are making a new D4 and D5.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You can do this with current tech, just glue the tire to the rim.

^ much lighter than a UST combo.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Pike spec fat bike fork with proper mud clearance for 29+ tires on 45-50mm rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This:

This....

And THIS!!!

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Real Stan's fat bike wheel sets with real fat bike hub spacing. None of this 52 mm rim with 100/135 hub spacing crap. Basically I would like the Arch EX for fat bikes please.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Frostbike and Taipei had some cool stuff, but still hopeful for some more fat tidbits and maybe some more plus options. The Maxxis HRII in 2.8 is a definite possibility for a plus wheelset for my Mutz.

bigger than you.
    I've pretty much given up hope of anything cool coming out for fat bikes. Mike See's Lenz is as good as we'll get. From here on out, there's nothing to see, folks, move along...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Real Stan's fat bike wheel sets.
    Stans is infamous for using thinner aluminum than everyone else and ending up with far less durable wheels. Not sure why anyone would want Stan to make more of these, unless you are just asking for better tubeless rims, due to the very limited aluminum options. In that case, I'd just hope someone other than Stan does it.

mtbr member
    1. More and better tubeless 90+mm rim and tire options that work well together.

2. More good and lightweight pogie options

3. Lower prices all around, esp. for carbon
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've pretty much given up hope of anything cool coming out for fat bikes. Mike See's Lenz is as good as we'll get. From here on out, there's nothing to see, folks, move along...
    More FS Fat Bikes like Lenz, Foes, etc....

If there's enough momentum, more fat fork options could emerge.

I like my Wren far better than a Bluto, but I worry that it won't be enough of a market option to get the big three to build an FS Fatty.

move on up...
    Farley full suspension with a FAT Fox 34......

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A fat Reign with a Wren fork stock, GX, and Guide would be an awesome trail/park FS fatty.