Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarma Shaman

mtbr member

Sarma Shaman

Anyone own a Shaman? It seems the Naran wheels get good reviews, but I haven't found any bike reviews. I am looking to go full carbon and they have a black Friday deal on a rolling chassis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Just got my Shaman delivered on cyber Monday.
    So impressed with the quality and overall value that I took advantage of their special pricing and ordered a second bike for my son. With their Black Friday/ cyber Monday pricing on the Shaman "set" ($1262 for frame, fork, handle bars, seat post, carbon wheels) my son will end up with a full carbon bike for well under $2000!
    I've found Dmitry (the owner) very responsive to emails. In fact, you may notice they now offer a GX build. This was in response to my request to have a lower price 1X11 drivetrain on the Shaman. I was also able to further customize mine with grip shift and mechanical brakes. Just had to ask.

Hope you pulled the trigger on cyber Monday.

mtbr member
    Nice, glad to hear. I waffled a few times and waited until Monday to order. By that time, mediums were in pre-order status, available December 15th.

I also ordered a spare set of hubs which arrived from Grand Rapids last night. The engagement on the rear hub is almost instant and the bearings are very smooth.

I have an xt 1x11 setup waiting to be installed, so I'm hoping to get the frameset before the snow flies!

blood in / blood out
    I am also waiting for my Shaman frame. I placed my order on Sunday night, now the wait begins. I'll be taking the parts of my Mukluk and moving them over to the Sarma. I can't wait to get the frame!
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by n8b5150 View Post

I also ordered a spare set of hubs which arrived from Grand Rapids last night. The engagement on the rear hub is almost instant and the bearings are very smooth.
    I too think the hubs are super quality, they're a bit noisy when free-wheeling though!
    I want to build up a second wheel set. Which rear hub did you order? It seems all the 170 rear hubs are "pre-order" status...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBRTS View Post
    I too think the hubs are super quality, they're a bit noisy when free-wheeling though!
    I want to build up a second wheel set. Which rear hub did you order? It seems all the 170 rear hubs are "pre-order" status...
    I messaged them through Facebook. Dmitry told me that they may have stock in Grand Rapids, confirmed the next day. I paid through paypal and the hubs arrived the following day (Grand Rapids, MI to Toledo, OH). I haven't decided on what rims to pair with them yet, or if I will just replace my existing hubs on my Moto Boris wheelset. I won't have time to build the wheels until Christmas break anyway.

mtbr member
    Awaiting my Shaman Build Kit that was purchased during the Black Friday deal....Messaged Dimitry and he reassured me that my purchase would be shipped out as soon as possible. It's been over a week though, so I`m a little excited/nervous about the whole thing...But I`m sure it will be worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I know what you mean about the nervous excitement. My bike took 7 days from order to shipping. No updates during that time, so I bugged Dmitry a few times and he assured me things were progressing. Part of that delay was due to the changes I requested.

Once shipped, you'll get a tracking number from EMS China.
    The tracking info will be mostly in Chinese, and the updates will be frustratingly infrequent.
    You can plug the tracking number into USPS tracking and it will actually give you updates in English.

Once the package leaves China, there may not be any updates until the package clears Customs in the US. This took about 7 days for my bike, with no news during that time. Once my bike cleared customs, USPS attempted delivery the next day.

Note you will need to sign for the bike at the time of delivery. If you're not there to sign, they won't leave it! I wasn't home the first time, so I had to wait over the weekend to retrieve it from the Post Office.

So basically two weeks from order placement/payment to delivery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Noisy hubs scare the bears away.

I got mine about a month ago and am loving it. A few minor issues... I bought the Bluto version and the spacers around the front hub are quite prone to falling off when mounting/unmounting the front wheel. I really hope I don't lose them.

Otherwise I'm pretty impressed with build quality and design. So far I've installed some Next SL cranks, a dropper post, and will throw on some studded tires as soon as they arrive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    [QUOTE=Vancity;12350417

Otherwise I'm pretty impressed with build quality and design. So far I've installed some Next SL cranks, a dropper post, and will throw on some studded tires as soon as they arrive.[/QUOTE]

Which dropper post did you go with , and did you route it internally?

blood in / blood out
    My Shaman frame comes this week. Can't wait to get the parts transferred over to it and put it thru it's paces. I hope you all get what you are waiting for from Sarma soon.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Which dropper post did you go with , and did you route it internally?
    X-Fusion Hilo 100, only because it was easy to source locally and quickly. The Shaman's 27.2 seatpost size is a little uncommon so the choices are limited.

Yes, I did run it internally, though I did have a lot of trouble removing one of the port covers on the Shaman. It was stuck in pretty good and I eventually got it to move by sticking a hex key through the cable port and wedging the cover off. I checked all the other ports and of course they were fine, it was just my luck that the only one I really needed was troublesome.

HES
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I too, am waiting for the rolling chassis I purchased on Black Friday. I am excited to build/ride it! Majack, I am curious what was the time frame from when you placed your order till it physically shipped?

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    I too, am waiting for the rolling chassis I purchased on Black Friday. I am excited to build/ride it! Majack, I am curious what was the time frame from when you placed your order till it physically shipped?
    I placed my order on Sunday night before cyber monday. And I just got an email stating the frame was shipped on this past Sunday. So all in all it has been a week for me.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    I finally got a reply today that stated "we shall send it soon. Sorry for the delay."

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I ordered a set of carbon Naran wheels on black Friday. Took a week to get shipped out. Just got notification they are in NY.
    I know it's hard to wait but your stuff will get here.

blood in / blood out
    My frame comes today. I'll be moving parts over tonight and trying to get out for a ride this weekend.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

HES
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    That's awesome Majack. Let us know your thoughts on overall quality and ride. Mine still has not shipped. Order was placed two weeks today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Got my wheels yesterday. Rode them last night and wow what a difference! Felt like a different bike. I really like them so far!
    Looking forward to a review of what you think about it.
    Last edited by PJohnston; 12-11-2015 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Addition

mtbr member
    I'm happy that people seem to be getting their orders but a little annoyed about my situation. I`m still waiting for a guestimate on when my frame and wheels might be shipped (other than "soon"). A tracking number would put my worries at ease or a simple "hey we're on backorder..." but I've only really heard "we shall send it soon. Very sorry for delay." on the 8th.

Hope it's all worth the wait! Anybody got some photos at least?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    After a positive experience with my first order, I'm in the same boat with my second order. Just hope it arrives in time for Christmas for my son.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yesterday during my 45 mile ride with the new Naran wheelset. Unusually warm here this time of year.

Last edited by PJohnston; 12-13-2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Addition

Addict
    I ordered a frameset/wheels etc and a Bluto with extra front wheel on cyber monday and was told right away that everything was backorder and expected to ship on 12/16/15. I just hope it is here and built by Xmas so that I can ride with my son's on the Fatboy 24's I ordered for them. Lots of new fat fun in my household this year.

blood in / blood out
    Sarma Shaman-s4022134.jpgSarma Shaman-s4022135.jpg

Well I got my Shaman built. The build went well with the transferring of the parts off my Salsa Mukluk. The only hang up was in the rear wheel. I have I9's with thru axles and that makes them 177mm wide. This was fine in my mukluk, but not in the Shaman. The Shaman is only 168mm per my measurements, so I had to spread the rear stays open to make the wheel fit. But the problem with that is I have no free space to move my brake caliper. The caliper was resting on the rotor tight with no more room to move it. So I took one of my other QR I9 adapters and put it in my drill press and drilled out the hole big enough to fit the thru axle for the Shaman. It is right at 170mm and I'm still 2mm over but I'm far better off then how it was when I started. The wheel slips into the frame much better and I feel better about how well the wheel is in the bike now.

Here is my build spec:

Frame: Sarma Shaman Medium
    Fork: Rock Shox Bluto 100mm
    Headset: CaneCreek 40
    Handlebar: Syntace Vector Carbon
    Stem: Syncros FL
    Grips: Ergon GA2
    Wheels: HED Big Deal w/ I9 Hubs
    Tires: 45NRTH Vanhelgas
    Brakes: Shimano XTR Trails
    Cranks: RaceFace Next SL w/ RF BB
    Bash ring: Straitline 32-34T
    Chainring: Absolute Black 32T Oval
    Pedals: Shimano XTR
    Chain: Wipermann Black Edition 10 spd
    Shifter: Shimano XT 10spd
    Rear der: Shimano XT Shadow 10spd w/ Wolf Tooth Goat Link
    Cassette: Shimano XT 10spd 11-36 w/ Wolf Tooth 40T GC and Wolf Tooth 16T cog
    Saddle: Fizik Tundra 2 Carbon rail
    Seatpost: Syntace P6 HiFlex
    Seatpost clamp: Box Flip
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

HES
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Nice Build Majack. Mine will be similar build but going rigid, with 80mm Naran's, 1 x 10 XO drivetrain, SLX brakes ,RF Turbine Crankset and Husker Du's. Should be a fun bike. Let us know how you like the ride.

Abbeytrails, I got shipping confirmation today. It looks like it shipped Priority Express International so with any luck I should see this week.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Gents, how is the rear for tire clearance? I'm on the fence about ordering one, but the aluminum frame will accommodate 4.fat tires, which is a requirement. I would be running 80mm rims.

Skeered to order the Shaman without knowing.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    4.7 tires (bulldozer) on 80mm rims no problem and still room for bigger, with 1X drivedrain.

Addict
    4.7 tires (bulldozer) on 80mm rims no problem and still room for bigger, with 1X drivedrain.
    I would like nothing more than to find out that my Shaman will fit Jumbo Jim 4.8's and Juggernaut Pro 4.5's on 80mm Naran rims for snow use. Right now I am planning for 4" tires until I can test for myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Love the new Sarma!!

Quote Originally Posted by n8b5150 View Post
    Anyone own a Shaman? It seems the Naran wheels get good reviews, but I haven't found any bike reviews. I am looking to go full carbon and they have a black Friday deal on a rolling chassis.

Nothing but good things to say about my new Sarma frame. Shipped out next day and to my door in Alberta in 2 weeks (minus the Canada Customs time). Frame was packed well and I was thrilled with the quality. Finally finished my build and now have a nice 23 lbs fatty. Had to dial in a Hope Fatsno rear hub to fit the 170 TA but other than that, easy enough build up. Super happy with how it turned out.

- China Carbon 80mm wheels
    - Hope Fatsno rear 170 TA hub
    - Fat Back carbon fork
    - Race Face Turbine Cinch cranks (28T)
    - Formula T1 brakes
    - X9 shifter
    - Race face NEXT bars/ post
    - Race Face saddle
    - One up 42t 1x10 cog expander
    -45 NRTH D4 with grip studs
    -Ergon grips

Sarma Shaman-sarma.jpg

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Gents, how is the rear for tire clearance? I'm on the fence about ordering one, but the aluminum frame will accommodate 4.fat tires, which is a requirement. I would be running 80mm rims.

Skeered to order the Shaman without knowing.
    I have Vanhelgas in mine on HED 85mm wheels and 4.0 is as large as it will take. Sarma says a 4.3 tire would fit, but I wouldn't want to run the risk of tire rub.

The Vortex Alum frame will take the big meats per the website.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Still waiting for an eta here. Do any of you have extra 10mm QR 135mm end caps for the front Sarma hub?
    Last edited by n8b5150; 12-15-2015 at 10:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Got my confirmation this morning that it was shipped out on the 12th....Odd but I`ll take it! Getting excited now....FWIW, I`ll be rolling some Vanhelgas on the Naran 80mm wheels along with some SLX goodness. Still deciding on a new crankset because I just can`t bring myself to put an X5 on there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MCohen View Post
    Nothing but good things to say about my new Sarma frame. Shipped out next day and to my door in Alberta in 2 weeks (minus the Canada Customs time). Frame was packed well and I was thrilled with the quality. Finally finished my build and now have a nice 23 lbs fatty. Had to dial in a Hope Fatsno rear hub to fit the 170 TA but other than that, easy enough build up. Super happy with how it turned out.

- China Carbon 80mm wheels

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sarma.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	1035619
    Nice bike.

Very curious about the details of the China Carbon wheels. I'm a roadie and I've had 3-4 wheelsets and I don't mind getting one for my fatty.

Care to share the specs + weight?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Can you post pix of the bike showing the clearance? I would be highly disappointed to not be able to use my Bud/Lou on 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by RENCRN8 View Post
    I would like nothing more than to find out that my Shaman will fit Jumbo Jim 4.8's and Juggernaut Pro 4.5's on 80mm Naran rims for snow use. Right now I am planning for 4" tires until I can test for myself.
    Keep us posted on your build! Anticipation... *tips the Heinz Ketchup bottle*

MCohen, that bike is lookin' sharp! Carry on...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Sure! Got them through a contact who deals with XMIPlay in China. 80mm/ 32 hole. 660g per rim. They use T700 Carbon. Got them for 500 bucks CAD for the pair. Not shabby. Pretty good bang for buck as far as I am concerned.

Addict
    Anyone gotten any more updates on shipping? The December 15 availability date has come and gone with no updates for me. I have emailed and FB messaged with no reply (which happened to be very fast before I paid). Still have my fingers crossed....

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Check out the pictures I posted on the Sarma Vortex page. MY HUBS CAME IN! Going to lace them up with Mulefut 80SLs at work tmr. I am getting excited for my build.

Sarma vortex

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I got an email response from Dmitry saying so sorry for delay. All will be shipped out this week.
    That was on Tuesday. No confirmation yet.

Addict
    I got an email response from Dmitry saying so sorry for delay. All will be shipped out this week.
    That was on Tuesday. No confirmation yet.
    What did you order? I haven't even gotten a response after multiple various attempts. Frustrating.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Ordered the Shaman "set" - frame,fork,wheels,handlebar,etc size Large.

mtbr member
    Mine just showed up...Box looked a little rough so I was worried. Opened it up and they did an excellent job packaging it up. Wish I had better mechanic skills because I`d be out riding it by now.

What is the best way to set these wheels up tubeless? My LBS Suggested a strip of Scotch Tough Clear Duct Tape instead of Gorilla Tape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Gorilla tape is fine. I found one layer was enough.
    Be prepared for a battle getting the tires on and off. They're really tight!
    Once on, mine were inflatable to 20psi with no sealant. Slowly deflated overnight so I then added some Stans.
    BTW I'm still waiting for shipping notification for my son's Christmas present bike ordered on Cyber Monday.

HES
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Received my frameset today which included 80mm carbon wheels. Mine came with tubeless rim strips and valves. Overall, impressed with initial quality for $$. Perfect bike for midwest trails.

mtbr member
    Received my frameset today which included 80mm carbon wheels. Mine came with tubeless rim strips and valves. Overall, impressed with initial quality for $$. Perfect bike for midwest trails.
    HES, where in the Midwest are you? I have a funny story if you're in Michigan, specifically the Detroit area!

As for the tubeless setup, I'm not looking forward to putting these tires on. It will be like me trying to put my jeans on after thanksgiving...

HES
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Abbeytrails, I am from the metro area. White Lake. Humor me please.

I am curious, what cranks are people installing on their Shaman? Options seem limited.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am curious, what cranks are people installing on their Shaman? Options seem limited.
    Limited how? I put on a Next SL crankset using the Race Face BSA30 BB.

mtbr member
    I have a Turbine Cinch crank waiting for the frameset. Between Race Face, Truvativ, Sram, and others, there are plenty of options for a 170mm spaced crank and threaded bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Abbeytrails, I am from the metro area. White Lake. Humor me please.

I sent you a personal message, but the morale of the story is that the person who dropped off your frame also dropped mine off. I guess when they were given the packages, all the delivery people had a bet as to what was in the boxes....Most of the people thought it was a children's tea set even though the paperwork on the box clearly stated it was bike related. Anyways, I thought it was pretty cool that someone only a few miles away was getting an awesome xmas gift just like me....even though I'm a horrible mechanic and can`t seem to figure out what cranks I want to put on my bike. Toying with having Sarma ship me one of their cranks. Seem super light and reasonable....thoughts?

Addict
    Glad to hear people are getting their stuff and things are looking good. Conversely, I haven't been this frustrated with post sale customer service since I flew Frontier Airlines. Before they got my money I got a response to all my questions almost immediately, since I sent money they have blatantly ignored many Facebook messages and emails with zero responses. It better be damn worth it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Keep in mind it is the holiday season. Allow for a little more delay in everything you buy this time of the year. If they are as small an operation as they portray themselves to be, they are probably swamped worth sales and clawing to find family time.

Your order may very well be delayed on transit. The entire world is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Glad to hear people are getting their stuff and things are looking good. Conversely, I haven't been this frustrated with post sale customer service since I flew Frontier Airlines. Before they got my money I got a response to all my questions almost immediately, since I sent money they have blatantly ignored many Facebook messages and emails with zero responses. It better be damn worth it....
    You're not alone out there in the world of Sarma "waiting on bike" I ordered the shaman kit on nov 27th and I still have nada. Got a reply from dimitry that kit would ship out the week of dec 7. It is of course dec 21 today. More later.... Hopefully.

mtbr member
    Bought the frame, fork etc set for my fiancé on black Friday and hoped with it shipping supposedly dec 15th, it would maybe, possibly get here in time to put it together for xmas. Being dec 21st, probably won't see it for xmas. I'll be putting a picture of it in a card I guess! Oh well, still a good deal. Still waiting on the cranks from another supplier anyway.
    CRAMBA Chairman

HES
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    It appears sarma has had 76 orders between Black Friday and 12\19 but does seem like a super small operation. Hopefully all is good with Dmitry.

Van city, I should of been more clear. A lack of cost efficient cranks. The Next SL cost more than I paid for frame and fork! I do like the weight of the SL's.

Abbey trail-funny stuff.. Yeah my carrier was told me there was another box from sarma out for delivery. Let's ride once bikes are built. I hope to have mine built this week.

mtbr member
    I have a quick build question, I noticed that one of the internal cable holes for the shifters is a different size than the other. I can put a cable end in one but not the other...thoughts? I was able to let the housing sit in there but that's about it. I left Sarma a message but in the meantime, figured I'd get some other opinions while I wait....

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeytrails View Post
    I have a quick build question, I noticed that one of the internal cable holes for the shifters is a different size than the other. I can put a cable end in one but not the other...thoughts? I was able to let the housing sit in there but that's about it. I left Sarma a message but in the meantime, figured I'd get some other opinions while I wait....
    Can you tell me which side of the bike? Is it the front der cable or the rear der cable? I have housing furrels on both ends of my rear der cable going into the frame and then coming back out of the frame. I'm running 1x so I don't have nothing going to the front der. But I went out and checked my frame, and that side takes the housing and furrels with no problems.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ordered the "set" on cyber Sunday. They sent me a tracking number on Dec. 14. According to USPS tracking it is still in China as of 12/23. The good thing is Dmitry has responded to emails and Facebook messages. I'll post again when I see it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    From my experience, Tracking likely won't give you any more updates til it clears customs at JFK.
    Once it does it'll be one or two days to your door.

mtbr member
    After a few struggles, the bike is finally together and ready for its maiden voyage. Comes in around 26.8lbs with SLX/X5 stuff on it. Just wondering if anybody could post a close-up photo of their drivetrain so I can compare?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So PBRTS was correct. The package cleared customs on the 27th and was delivered on the 29th. I hope to have it built by the weekend. My size large frame was 3 pounds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My PARTIAL shaman kit arrived yesterday the 29th. Got wheels and frame but no fork, seatpost or bars. No clue as to when the rest will arrive,argh! On the positive side the frame and wheels look to be of good quality. Noticed that the hubs on the Naran wheel set are not Sarma but Fatlabs. Reviews seem to be fairly good for these hubs but not sure if they are an uptick or down in comparison to Sarma hubs. Anyone else get a partial shipment?

Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by way2slow View Post
    My PARTIAL shaman kit arrived yesterday the 29th. Got wheels and frame but no fork, seatpost or bars. No clue as to when the rest will arrive,argh! On the positive side the frame and wheels look to be of good quality. Noticed that the hubs on the Naran wheel set are not Sarma but Fatlabs. Reviews seem to be fairly good for these hubs but not sure if they are an uptick or down in comparison to Sarma hubs. Anyone else get a partial shipment?
    Yes and I asked about it and was told that the rest would ship soon. Frustrating

mtbr member
    I received my shipping confirmation this morning. Hoping it's a full shipment...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ordered two complete bikes on the 07th of Dec. and they just arrived today. Very well wrapped and no damage, all the parts, just had to mount the Bluto shock, handlebar, seatpost and derailer. toughest part was mounting the tires on the rims (not much of a wheelwell to put the opposite side of the tire bead!) Now just waiting for some snow (hate the first ride being a muddy one with a new bike!!) They did arrive in two separate boxes. Hope that helps put some minds at ease!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Shaman "kit" with Shimano 1 x 11 XT bought from Bike-discount.de

Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytown View Post

How about some full pictures.

I'm a Target Too.
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    The only hang up was in the rear wheel. I have I9's with thru axles and that makes them 177mm wide. This was fine in my mukluk, but not in the Shaman. The Shaman is only 168mm per my measurements, so I had to spread the rear stays open to make the wheel fit.
    I9 has the proper end caps for your hub. I'm using I9s on my Sarma.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by cendres View Post
    I9 has the proper end caps for your hub. I'm using I9s on my Sarma.
    What end caps are you using? I have the thru axle end caps and those did not fit. So if you have a part number that would be great.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

I'm a Target Too.
    I don't see them listed specifically on their dealer site so you may just need to call/email them. I ordered mine with 170x12 spacing.

blood in / blood out
    I don't see them listed specifically on their dealer site so you may just need to call/email them. I ordered mine with 170x12 spacing.
    Thanks Chris, maybe I'll call them from the shop on Monday. But as it sits now, I have it all working and I'm just riding it as is.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

I'm a Target Too.
    Speak with Jon; he knows what you need.

blood in / blood out
    Speak with Jon; he knows what you need.
    I'll do that, thanks for the info and name of a contact.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

I'm a Target Too.
    So here's mine set up in 29+ mode. Weight as pictured is 24.03. I should have been patient and waited for a pair of carbon rims and lighter tires. I'll revisit that closer to spring because I'd like to have it under 23 pounds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sarma Shaman-sarma-29-plus.jpg  

Addict
    The pictures are really getting me excited to get home and get mine built up and ride it. That looks sweet with 29+ wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    That is an awesome weight

woukd you mind sharing what the rest of the build is to get you to 22 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytown View Post

mtbr member
    May 2007
    XX1 crank with a Wolftooth 34t
    XT 11 speed drivetrain 11-40t cassette
    SLX brakes
    SDG Ti fly saddle
    Ritchey Carbon stem
    Kenda Jauggernaut Pro tires
    Sarma Carbon seatpost (190g) and Sarma Carbon bar (160g)

This is my only bike so the lighter the better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Super nice

Thanks for the info!

Addict
    Got home today to a big black box awaiting my arrival. Unpacking and inspecting now. Will post some pictures with actual weights of individual parts if anyone is interested.

blood in / blood out
    Got home today to a big black box awaiting my arrival. Unpacking and inspecting now. Will post some pictures with actual weights of individual parts if anyone is interested.
    Glad to see you got the parts. Hope your build goes well. And of course, post some pics.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Ah thats good news! I'm still waiting on bars, seatpost and fork but maybe they will arrive soon now. I ordered the Shaman "kit" on November 27th!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I too am awaiting bars,seatpost and fork, ordered as "kit" on 11/30.
    Dmitry says they're on the way in separate package.
    Right now I have a very dysfunctional unicycle on the stand...
    My son is losing his patience as he sees me ride mine. Had expected to have the whole holiday break to ride with him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Given the pricing on these I'm really considering pulling the trigger, however as this will be my first fat bike and I will mainly ride it in the snow am wondering if I need to go with something that allows for fatter tires i.e. 5 inchers. Would love to hear some thoughts from anyone who has ridden one of these in the winter. Thanks

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbrookie View Post
    Given the pricing on these I'm really considering pulling the trigger, however as this will be my first fat bike and I will mainly ride it in the snow am wondering if I need to go with something that allows for fatter tires i.e. 5 inchers. Would love to hear some thoughts from anyone who has ridden one of these in the winter. Thanks
    I'm on my first winter with mine and so far it is great to ride. I bought it knowing that all I wanted and need is a bike that can take a 4" tire on the back.

If you want the bigger tires, look at the Vortek from Sarma. It is the Alum frame but can take the big meats.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    I received all but the fork yesterday. The Narans setup tubeless with 120tpi Nate's without any problems after wrestling them on the rims. I set the beads with my floor pump yesterday and added 4oz orange seal to each this morning and they are holding 15lbs.

The wheels came with Fatlab hubs. That freehub will alert anyone within a mile of your presence.

Dmitry sent me tracking on the fork, so I am waiting patiently on that. I'll take pics when I finish assembly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Tracking info from Dimitry shows my sarma remaining items to be in .........wait for it.......Moscow in pre shipment mode! Hope you're not on the same boat as me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by way2slow View Post
    Tracking info from Dimitry shows my sarma remaining items to be in .........wait for it.......Moscow in pre shipment mode! Hope you're not on the same boat as me.
    Mine at least says processed, but yeah, in Moscow. The main shipment didn't show any movement until the day it was delivered. It took me by surprise.

blood in / blood out
    Sarma Shaman-s4022144.jpgSarma Shaman-s4022145.jpgSarma Shaman-s4022148.jpgSarma Shaman-s4022147.jpgWell I made some changes to my Shaman. I went to Shimano XTR 1 x 11 and I replaced the front VanHelga with a Flowbeist. The VH was working just fine but I like to have a larger tire up front. The bike weigh's 26 pounds 9 oz with the way I have it built. Here are some updated pics.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks majack for your input. I'm curious about the frame quality and graphics, are they painted or decals?

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbrookie View Post
    Thanks majack for your input. I'm curious about the frame quality and graphics, are they painted or decals?
    The frame is of great quality and I'm very happy with the bike. As for the graphics, some are paint like the grey area's and the red Sarma is a decal.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Addict
    My carbon fork and extra front wheel showed up today so hopefully everyone waiting will have their stuff soon. Now I just need to get time to finish the build. Work getting in the way of fun, that's why it would have been nice to have it while I was on vacation almost the entire month of December. First world problems.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The frame is of great quality and I'm very happy with the bike. As for the graphics, some are paint like the grey area's and the red Sarma is a decal.
    No one will every ask you what brand of bike it is. Between the frame and the fork it says Sarma 11 different places. Plus it's all over the wheels as well.

Addict
    Not an exact final weight but it won't get any heavier as all I have left to do is trim cables, hoses, and steerer. Can't wait to ride this thing.

y

blood in / blood out
    Looking good Ren, nice weight on the bike. Get some rides in on that thing and tell us what you think.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Addict
    Looking good Ren, nice weight on the bike. Get some rides in on that thing and tell us what you think.
    I will report back this weekend!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Helium in the tubes? That's a crazy weight

Is that with sealant in the tires no pedals

Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    Helium in the tubes? That's a crazy weight

Is that with sealant in the tires no pedals
    4oz of Orange sealant front and rear. Crank brothers egg beaters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Double wow
    That weight is unbelievable

Enjoy the ride
    Looking forward to reading a ride report

Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    Double wow
    That weight is unbelievable

Enjoy the ride
    Looking forward to reading a ride report
    What will be unbelievable is it being under 24 lbs with the Bluto hopefully. The fork is the only difference plus a slightly wider hub. Fork is around 3 lbs. Crazy.

HES
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Can you share build? I just built mine. I bought the rolling chassis too. I have 4.0 Juggernauts, 1x10 XO, SLX brakes with magura SL rotors, a light ti saddle and sarma cranks which are light. Now, I'm curious to weigh! I am looking forward to racing it this weekend.

Addict
    Can you share build? I just built mine. I bought the rolling chassis too. I have 4.0 Juggernauts, 1x10 XO, SLX brakes with magura SL rotors, a light ti saddle and sarma cranks which are light. Now, I'm curious to weigh! I am looking forward to racing it this weekend.
    XX1 full drive train
    RF next SL crankset
    M9000 XTR race brakes
    Niner RDO stem
    Fizik Tundra 2 carbon saddle
    Kenda juggernaut pro 4.0
    Orange tubeless tape and sealant
    Ashima Ai2 160mm rotors
    Crank brothers egg beaters pedals
    Sarma carbon handlebars
    Sarma carbon seatpost
    SRAM foam locking grips(may change to ESI chunkies once I know everything is how I want it)

Honestly I was shocked when I weighed it. I actually went and got my other bike to double check the scale. I thought about sending a note to Lamere(joking) who claims the lightest fat bike for their $5900 build. I have far less than that in this bike. I am so happy I ordered a vortex build kit this week from Dmitry. It will have an almost identical build but with the 4.5 Juggernaut pros. Will be interesting to see how light an aluminum 190mm bike with bluto can be for an aluminum.

mtbr member
    Awesome Ren! I am still patiently waiting for my fork. Seeing this makes me want to finish this build so badly. My wheels are still sitting here holding air and the frame is built up, just need the fork to finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast