Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarma Shaman

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Sarma Shaman-sarma.jpg
    Ride report: It rides very nice. I am a happy customer, nice job Sarma! I ordered frameset, wheelset, and Bluto combo.

Built it up and have gone on a few rides with it. I tried a 45mm stem but felt a little short confirmed my bike was a large and then installed a 70mm stem much better for 6' me. Initially ran with Vanhelga in front and husker du in rear. Husker du works well on my FS fatty but just wasn't working well for me on climbs which is true for any hardtail. Bought a flowbeist and temporarily mounted in rear and confirmed it has enough clearance with the 80mm rims at 20psi. So will probably get a dunderbeist eventually- 45 north literature and have seen field reports 109mm width so should fit.
    My large with flowbeist/ vanhelga is 27lbs 1oz. That 20 lb build is a sick weight weenie machine. Built mine up with: 34t Next sl crankset, Canfield crampons, 1x10 x9 w/ hope 40t , tubeless w/ 7oz of orange seal and one wrap of provided gorilla tape, wtb Silverado saddle, formula RO brakes, hope stem and quick release seat collar.
    Trails are really great out near Lyons, Colorado - everything is packed quite nicely. It is so nice riding a fatbike this light. Accelerates quickly- new for me on a fatbike. Great riding bike everything feels tight but the feel of carbon frame running over the trail was just right compared to my previous Al on-one fatty. Shorter chainstay is nice- makes tight switchbacks no prob making tight turns my 18" CS bike won't do. Geometry is great overall but will probably bump up Bluto travel and get a dropper post. 80mm is not enough travel and never hurts to slacken it up a bit.
    Super impressed with naran 80 wheelset. Set up tubeless super easy contrasting some reviews I've seen. I have no misgivings of doing tire changes before a ride now.

Pros- great value, great frame and wheelset, good frame geometry, light

Cons- derailleur hanger screw was sent slightly bent and design could be improved. During wheel changes I fear I may strip the derailleur hanger screw. I may glue this assembly in place to stop it from flopping around when the thru axle is removed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sarma Shaman-363e777c-758c-451e-bb2b-ec13bcf9de264c28bff2-772c-4dcb-9351-ed295c4f7e6d.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Has anyone set up a Shaman with full thru cables for rear Derailleur and brake? It feels like there is a stop in the front port for the rear derailleur at least
    \

Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mnswamp View Post
    Has anyone set up a Shaman with full thru cables for rear Derailleur and brake? It feels like there is a stop in the front port for the rear derailleur at least
    \
    In order to run full housing cables would require drilling out the cable stops where the cables enter the frame on the top tube. I thought about it but decided against it. I can always do it later but can't undo it.

As far as brakes go you can run full housing without any modifications? Are you using mechanical brakes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Common sense got the best of me...

Quote Originally Posted by RENCRN8 View Post
    In order to run full housing cables would require drilling out the cable stops where the cables enter the frame on the top tube. I thought about it but decided against it. I can always do it later but can't undo it.

>> I did the same thing - decided it wasn't worth the risk of damaging the frame. I'll do it on aluminum, but without a really sharp (and long) bit, meh...

As far as brakes go you can run full housing without any modifications? Are you using mechanical brakes?
    >> Yep, no restrictions on brakes. I pulled compressionless housing, which should help with feel (BB7s)

Progress pic - tires went on with a limited amount of pain, which considering I've never installed tubeless before...
    Tomorrow, install chain, decide how much stack height I want, install disks and connect brakes. Maybe go for ride?
    Sarma Shaman-img_20160114_224320059.jpg

Addict
    Well I didn't get to ride it in anger, but I did get to ride with my sons so it is more than a fair trade.

First thoughts, holy cow this thing is light. It climbs and accelerates like nothing I have ever ridden in the woods before.

Weight as a manufacturer would weigh it(without pedals) for comparisons sake. Yowzers

Weight ready to ride with pedals. Amazing

I can't wait to get a chance to ride it in anger. I think I am really going to like this

And a few gratuitous shots of my sons on their new fatboy 24's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I shed a tear when I saw that weight
    I'm so regretting not pulling the trigger when they were running the cyber Monday sale

That weight is spectacular

Ride it well, and ride it with your kids
    That's awesome
    I can't wait to get my kids there!

Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    I shed a tear when I saw that weight
    I'm so regretting not pulling the trigger when they were running the cyber Monday sale

That weight is spectacular

Ride it well, and ride it with your kids
    That's awesome
    I can't wait to get my kids there!
    This is my kids first week on an MTB, I am so freaking excited.

As far as the weight goes, I am still shocked honestly. I didn't really aim for it to be a weight weenie build, I just like having top shelf stuff. It could be even lighter for someone who was really counting grams. Sarma hit a home run with this one. Now I can't wait to get the Vortex built up and see how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'll be keeping an eye out for your vortex posts

That's awesome about the kids
    I plan to go cooker kids fatty in the spring

Addict
    I'll be keeping an eye out for your vortex posts

That's awesome about the kids
    I plan to go cooker kids fatty in the spring
    If you get a chance to compare the Cooker and the mini fatboy do it. You will be amazed at the quality difference and weight. Since the Fatboy MSRP has dropped I don't even think it is a close comparison. I don't regret going with the big S even though I paid more than the current MSRP. Good luck whatever you choose, there really is not a price tag I can put on the fun we are having.

mtbr member
    Another satisfied customer here. Mine built up just a tick shy of 25lbs with the usual Naran rims, carbon bits and a 1x11 XT setup. Having ridden a Pugsley before, I don't think I need to go broke and make it any lighter. Ride is amazing, just wish we had some more snow (and not ice) in Michigan so I could enjoy it. Happy Trails!

Sarma Shaman-91fca0e9-a33e-4dc3-af3e-fe0fd9603262.jpg

HES
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Abbeytrails, in your pic, is that the tunnel that goes under Teggerdine road at plra? I rode through there this evening. I fell through the ice trying to cross the Huron river just west of there! I too, am loving my Shaman. My complete build came in at 22lbs 2oz with pedals, cages and garmin mount. I'm going to race Addison Oaks this weekend. If I don't do well, I can't blame the bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I see the SHAMAN X9 CARBON FATBIKE is $2600. If I was to build this myself with close to the same specs would there be any savings? I have not built a bike before and I am looking for a light weight racing machine. They are saying it weights 24 lbs.

Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-OH View Post
    I see the SHAMAN X9 CARBON FATBIKE is $2600. If I was to build this myself with close to the same specs would there be any savings? I have not built a bike before and I am looking for a light weight racing machine. They are saying it weights 24 lbs.
    That's tough to answer. Depends on what price you can get parts for. I have a little more in my bike than what you can buy a complete XX1 bike for but I prefer to pick my own parts and build it myself. Plus I have both carbon Hoboy and Bluto fork with front wheels for both forks fully setup for easy swap. I don't think you can go wrong either way but unless you have parts sitting around already I don't think it will be a big difference in price either way. I bought Shaman and Vortex both as frame build kits so that I could finish them with my choice of parts some of which I already had. Whatever you decided I highly recommend Sarma, I am highly pleased with my experiences.

Rocking on a Rocky
    You could start with a build kit

Sarma Shaman Build Kit | Sarma - siberian born fat bikes
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    Abbeytrails, in your pic, is that the tunnel that goes under Teggerdine road at plra? I rode through there this evening. I fell through the ice trying to cross the Huron river just west of there! I too, am loving my Shaman. My complete build came in at 22lbs 2oz with pedals, cages and garmin mount. I'm going to race Addison Oaks this weekend. If I don't do well, I can't blame the bike!
    Good Luck at Addison. Yes, that`s the tunnel! 22.2lbs? Give us all a build spec! I need something to shoot for

Addict
    Vortex coming together nicely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Why did you go bluto on the vortex? And not the shaman

Addict
    Why did you go bluto on the vortex? And not the shaman
    I have a Bluto for the Shaman also. I will be buying a carbon fork for the Vortex when Sarma releases a 150x15mm capable fork so I don't have to have a spare front wheel like the Shaman.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Very cool! You are all in on the sarma!

blood in / blood out
    Vortex coming together nicely.
    So Ren, how's the aluminum frame look? Are the welds nice and clean? It looks like the shaman but in aluminum.

That Vortex of yours is looking good so far. What sneakers are you going to put on those wheels?
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Addict
    The frame is very nice. No visible welds left, if you didn't touch it it could be confused for carbon (almost).

This bike will be the big brother of the Shaman and will be wearing the Kenda Juggernaut Pro 4.5's, they are beastly compared to the Little brother.

Addict
    Unfortunately we just got missed by the major snow storm so lately I have been doing more wrenching than riding. I will be taking the Shaman out for a quick trashing this afternoon before football begins, for now back to taping wheels ugh.

Addict
    Not surprisingly this thing is a bit of a porker when compared to its little brother. Admittedly 3 pounds are in the tires and 3 pounds are in the fork approximately. It will shed about a pound when the tubes that are seating the tape come out. Still very happy with the outcome. Especially coming from my full rigid Aluminum Fatback which was just shy of 27 lbs. I'll take a little extra weight for front suspension and considerably bigger tires.

Addict
    And yes for the skeptics, there is no cassette or chain in the pictures (Sarma shipped it with wrong driver, asked for XD). The tubes each are 555 grams and cassette/chain together are 517 grams. Net lose of around 1 pound when fully assembled. And for comparisons sake with 4.0 Juggernauts and carbon fork remove around 2500 grams total or approximately 6 lbs. Setup exactly like the Shaman it will weigh somewhere around 21 lbs. Very nice.

mtbr member
    Got a surprise from Mr. Postman tonight. Should be able to start building tomorrow.

Sarma Shaman-20160130_172304_resized.jpg

Sarma Shaman-20160130_184110_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Not surprisingly this thing is a bit of a porker when compared to its little brother. Admittedly 3 pounds are in the tires and 3 pounds are in the fork approximately. It will shed about a pound when the tubes that are seating the tape come out. Still very happy with the outcome. Especially coming from my full rigid Aluminum Fatback which was just shy of 27 lbs. I'll take a little extra weight for front suspension and considerably bigger tires.

I'm looking at the Vortx and have a couple of question for you. First, wondering what size frame you have, what width of carbon rims did you go with? After riding yours, how do you feel about the BB height? That's my one complaint with my Mukluk is the pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MCohen View Post
    Nothing but good things to say about my new Sarma frame. Shipped out next day and to my door in Alberta in 2 weeks (minus the Canada Customs time). Frame was packed well and I was thrilled with the quality. Finally finished my build and now have a nice 23 lbs fatty. Had to dial in a Hope Fatsno rear hub to fit the 170 TA but other than that, easy enough build up. Super happy with how it turned out.

- China Carbon 80mm wheels
    - Hope Fatsno rear 170 TA hub
    - Fat Back carbon fork
    - Race Face Turbine Cinch cranks (28T)
    - Formula T1 brakes
    - X9 shifter
    - Race face NEXT bars/ post
    - Race Face saddle
    - One up 42t 1x10 cog expander
    -45 NRTH D4 with grip studs
    -Ergon grips

Attachment 1035619
    Mcohen- could I ask what you had to do to make the 170mm hub fit in the rear dropouts? I saw in another post that Majack drilled out his QR end caps to make it fit (which sounded like it worked ok if you have the capability). One of my wheelsets has a 170mm Salsa Conversion hub that I'd like to use if I buy this frame. I'm a bit apprehensive to get this frame if my hub won't fit, of if I have to do too many mods to make it fit. Anybody else have experience with this frame and non-sarma hubs?

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by versplatch View Post
    Mcohen- could I ask what you had to do to make the 170mm hub fit in the rear dropouts? I saw in another post that Majack drilled out his QR end caps to make it fit (which sounded like it worked ok if you have the capability). One of my wheelsets has a 170mm Salsa Conversion hub that I'd like to use if I buy this frame. I'm a bit apprehensive to get this frame if my hub won't fit, of if I have to do too many mods to make it fit. Anybody else have experience with this frame and non-sarma hubs?
    I did drill out my end caps, but another poster on here told me that I9 made the end caps I needed. So I ordered them and installed them and have not looked back. It looks like you rear wheel should fit. Straight from Sarma ( 170 x 12 mm T/A (Frame)" ) Their frame does not go to 177 when used with a thru axle, it stays 170.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Now that we're "thawing out" from winter, has anybody experienced broken spokes on their Naran rims? I took my front wheel in because I had one busted spoke and when they checked, three more popped off right there, like toothpicks. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I didn't get north of 50 miles on that bike over the winter...

And of course....two emails in two weeks to Sarma have gone without any sort of acknowledgement. Hope you're all having better luck than me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    I did drill out my end caps, but another poster on here told me that I9 made the end caps I needed. So I ordered them and installed them and have not looked back. It looks like you rear wheel should fit. Straight from Sarma ( 170 x 12 mm T/A (Frame)" ) Their frame does not go to 177 when used with a thru axle, it stays 170.
    Thanks majack. Do you know if Salsa makes 170x12 end caps like I9? Currently my hub is 170x10 qr, and it's my understanding that the conversion to 12mm TA will make it 177, which won't fit this frame. Unfortunately, I don't have a drillpress to do your original trick and it looks like this frame only works with TA, not QR. Why couldn't they have just made this frame 177x12 or 170 QR like everything else...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Is everyone still happy with these bikes? I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the gx built bike.

blood in / blood out
    Is everyone still happy with these bikes? I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the gx built bike.
    I have been loving mine. The bike is all I hoped it would be. Just make sure you are happy with the 4" tire size in the back. If you want more tire, then this is not the bike for you. The aluminum Vortex from Sarma will take the big tires front and back.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Everything is possible.

I have been loving mine. The bike is all I hoped it would be. Just make sure you are happy with the 4" tire size in the back. If you want more tire, then this is not the bike for you. The aluminum Vortex from Sarma will take the big tires front and back.
    4,8" in the front and back!

And with 4,0" - it's also awesome!

Amazing weight!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks guys that is crazy light.

blood in / blood out
    Well I made the switch from my Bluto to the Wren. The Wren is a nice looking fork and looks to be more stout than the Bluto. I got the 110mm travel model to get the geo on the bike close to what I had with the Bluto. I'm just waiting for the rain to go away and the ground to dry up so I can put some miles on this fork. Here are some pics:

Sarma Shaman-wren220160810_192944_resized-%5B556067%5D.jpgSarma Shaman-wren320160810_192735_resized-%5B556062%5D.jpg Sarma Shaman-wren20160810_192925-%5B544958%5D.jpg
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Sukhov View Post
    4,8" in the front and back!

And with 4,0" - it's also awesome!

Amazing weight!

I'd like some info on how you got the 4.8 in tires to fit. Looks like there isn't enough room to me, but you did it! Please inform us.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by F@Tom View Post
    I'd like some info on how you got the 4.8 in tires to fit. Looks like there isn't enough room to me, but you did it! Please inform us.
    I too would like to know what size rim you are using. I have Hed carbon wheels at 85mm and there is no way a 4.8 will be able to run in the back. So some info is needed. Nice bike otherwise.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Well I am loving my new bike. It is all ready for this weekends race. Installed two water bottle cages and bike computer.

Sarma Shaman-sarma-weight.jpg

Sarma Shaman-sarma.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I too would like to know what size rim you are using. I have Hed carbon wheels at 85mm and there is no way a 4.8 will be able to run in the back. So some info is needed. Nice bike otherwise.

I use 65 mm carbon rims. On 80 mm - no chance!

The rear tyre in the frame is pretty tight...

Please, also notice that I use here not a standard crankset but another one (RACE FACE NEXT SL for OLD170/177 mm) - it has a bit bigger chainline: 68,5 instead of 66,5 mm... so - no issues with rubbing the chain on the granny-gear...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Has anyone cut there bars shorter? I have a race this weekend and some of the trees are to close to take at high speeds unless I cut the bars. I am thinking about 2 inches off each side. If you have done this what process did you use to cut them?

Thanks,

Keith

blood in / blood out
    Keith,

When I cut bars for myself and others, I start with 1/4" on each side. You don't want to get the bars to short, then you don't have the leverage to move that big front tire out of ruts and you loose some of the control on the fatbike. I try not to go any lower than 700mm with my fatbike. As for cutting, I use my hacksaw with a new blade. You can put some tape around the bar where you want to cut, then mark your line for cutting on the tape and cut. The tape will help in the carbon not wanting to fray or come apart. I have a guide that I use for cutting to keep the cut straight. Hope this helps.

Has anyone cut there bars shorter? I have a race this weekend and some of the trees are to close to take at high speeds unless I cut the bars. I am thinking about 2 inches off each side. If you have done this what process did you use to cut them?

Thanks,

Keith
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks Majack.

Addict
    If anyone is interested in adding a Bluto to the front of their Shaman let me know. I sold my Shaman to Keith-OH and he did not want the Bluto with front wheel/tire.

Unused brand new

Bluto 80mm front fork
    Sarma Naran 80mm carbon TR front wheel
    Kenda juggernaut pro 4.0 tire

7.25" steerer with expansion plug and crown race installed

Sold the bike I originally purchased this for.

Located in Loveland, OH.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    PMed.

blood in / blood out
    If anyone is interested in adding a Bluto to the front of their Shaman let me know. I sold my Shaman to Keith-OH and he did not want the Bluto with front wheel/tire.

Unused brand new

Bluto 80mm front fork
    Sarma Naran 80mm carbon TR front wheel
    Kenda juggernaut pro 4.0 tire

7.25" steerer with expansion plug and crown race installed

Sold the bike I originally purchased this for.

Located in Loveland, OH.
    Why did you sell the Shaman? Are you moving onto a different fatty? How is the aluminum sarma treating you, if you still have that one?
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Addict
    I sold the Shaman because it just seemed to sit and not get ridden much. I seem to prefer the Vortex for some reason. I loved the Shaman, it was definitely badass, I just gravitated towards the fatter sister. Plus we just bought a new house and I am liquidating a bunch of assets that aren't being used. I still have the Vortex and will continue to ride it.

blood in / blood out
    I sold the Shaman because it just seemed to sit and not get ridden much. I seem to prefer the Vortex for some reason. I loved the Shaman, it was definitely badass, I just gravitated towards the fatter sister. Plus we just bought a new house and I am liquidating a bunch of assets that aren't being used. I still have the Vortex and will continue to ride it.
    Glad to hear you still have the fatter sister of the bunch. I'm the same way, if I'm not riding it enough, pass it on to someone that will ride it. Congrats on the house.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    It got good use again this weekend. I used it in my first ever cx race. I had to start in back since I did not pre-register since I found out about the race the night before. Here is the video of the race.

https://youtu.be/J1BG0GEn7vY

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Will Dillinger 5 fit the back of these bikes?

I'm a Target Too.
    Will Dillinger 5 fit the back of these bikes?
    Nope.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast