Thread: "Sando's"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

"Sando's"

Here's some pic's of Endo's and Larry's that I've trimmed the tread on to improve performance on sand. "Performance" in this case meaning reduced resistance/drag, improved floatation, less "signature"... There is a trade off- less traction. There are certain instances when I'll miss the traction, but they are few in soft (or hard) sand. "Touching" the sand as light as possible and disturbing it as little as possible keeps you on top and moving. Traction may help you move forward, but creates drag as you build momentum. Trimming helps cancel the drag and "frees" them up to carry momentum easier. On a longer sand ride, they make a noticeable difference.

I've left the edge tread for cornering grip as well as the first row of lugs on each side of the Larry's. On the Endo's, I left every other "paddle" or "cross rib" on the rear tire for forward traction. By removing every other paddle, I've doubled the areas of continuous lug-less casing that is touching the sand uninterrupted and helping keeping the bike afloat.

S1490010

S1490020

S1490018

S1490027

S1490029

S1490021

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Makes sense if you don't need full traction all the time. Let us know how it goes over time.

Al
    It seemed like a good idea!...... at the time......

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    or just go and buy other peoples worn out tires

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flobukki View Post
    or just go and buy other peoples worn out tires
    I think a worn out vee 8 would be awesome for what the OP is after.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    I'm working on the same concept Ward, but I'd doing it by just riding my Endos until I have worn the center tread away!

Sand is very grippy anyways. Other than sharp turns we don't need no stinking tread!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Right on Vik! The effect is like waxing your skis. I had the Ft. tire finished for the NW FBer's ride a couple weekends ago... I didn't take time to document it though it might show up in the vid or folk's pic's somewhere, but the track your leaving behind tells the story. Riding along side of my buddy w/ the Moonlander and Bud/Lou, the difference is HUGE! I'm leaving barely a mark and his looked like a roto-tiller came through. My track will be gone when a breeze comes through and his may be there for a while. When it was time to lay down some miles, I could settle into a cadence & carry some momentum, and he would eventually back off the throttle and fall back in a lower gear to keep 'em turning- wet or dry sand. By the same token, on Sunday we went out and played around at slow speed, trials riding around and he was able to hold a line along the top of the steep "fore dune" where my tires would slip around. All that said, we had just about every type of tire on the ride, including V-8's, and everybody did fine and had a blast. Basically, I've just "waxed 'em up" for covering ground on the sand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the show of your efforts Ward; good pics.

You mention a loss of traction, one idea that I have, (have not done anything) is to use a split tube coated with a very course sandpaper like surface, and slip that over an existing tire. My thinking (if it would stay in place) is that traction would be increased due to the increased surface area. It would be fast rolling and not disturb the sand below the tire much. If it does increase the traction, maybe center or side ribs would not be as important for steering or side hill control?

Not a snow person myself, but have heard that truck drivers who drive in snow, if the snow is sticking to the tires, you then have the best traction available.

Anyone notice this effect when fat biking in the snow? If so, then that is what my idea is about...only with sand.
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't see myself going much further than trimming tread... except to trim some BFL's or ? when I get a set-up that will take the bigger rubber. With these, I can still air up & ride a pavement section, which is often part of a beach ride.