mtbr member
    Dec 2012

is sandman still in business?

around march this year, i placed an order for a hoggar ti, and paid for it in full via paypal. in about a week they refunded my payment, saying that the parts that came in for my build they found inferior in quality, so they would rather refund my payment, and take another order in a few months time, when the components they have on hand meets their standard of quality. its been a couple of months, and my inquiries for a reorder have not been answered via emails. are they sitll in business? cos their website hasnt been updated recently either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    We are definitely still in business :-). We might have taken a bit "too much hay on our fork" designing new... everything this year. But it's all coming together, the new hubs for our current bike line, the new 2014 frames, the new suspension forks.

We'll do the official unveiling of the last two during the Megavalanche in France next week, where we'll be with testbikes. Anyone, very welcome to test a Sandman during this: MEGAVALANCHE 2013 - YouTube

Heck, if you pay us a beer you can even use one of our testbikes for the race if you want to. They're competitive, one of our racers qualified 5th last year amidst the pro's with their factory fullies (you should have seen some faces :-)). Simon flatted in the final but is back for revenge this year... and do the final tests & tweaks of the suspension fork before we put them on the market.

The new alu models will ship at the end of september, until then the current ones are still available along with our titanium flagship.

As for "old" orders, we'll get in touch and if you confirm your order we can ship right after the Megavalanche (wheels are being built now).

Sorry it took so long, but like usual we took our time testing our stuff - which I hope will be appreciated.

This is part of the result, the new (still unpainted) Atacama. I'll post a pic of the new Gobi tomorrow, it's being painted as we speak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nothing you said explains why you cannot answer a paying customers emails.

Promoting new product in this thread is kinda a kick in da nuts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Nothing you said explains why you cannot answer a paying customers emails.

Promoting new product in this thread is kinda a kick in da nuts.
    When placing your order you should have gotten a mail explaining why we couldn't/wouldn't take it in short order and that we'd let you know when we would be able to ship again. That this could take several months (re-sampling the sub-par parts, having them re-manufactured). If you didn't get such a mail, my profound excuses.

We're still not ready to ship, we'll be ready after the Megavalanche in a few weeks time and then you'll receive - as promised - a mail from us asking if you'd want to confirm your order. Or not. If you confirm, you'll have your Sandman within a week - no matter where you are on this planet.

We could have just taken all orders and sat on your/our customers money for a few months with one "delay" following the next one... We didn't do that, I hope that's appreciated...

And my message was not to promote, but as a response to your question here: to say that Sandman is still very much active.
    Me, I'm hardly active here any more because I'm now employed by Sandman and that takes up most of my time (and spare time...), one of the forum members tipped us on the thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    Me, I'm hardly active here any more ......
    Which is disappointing because you supplied lots of pictures and ride stoke from around the planet, not just sand and snow.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

On the thin face of it, it could all be interpreted as being over-sold. The balance to that is whether what has "been promised" is under or over delivered, and that remains to be seen. The background is that, unless you have tried to take something to the big time and experienced all of the difficulties in doing so - that largely have nothing to do with bikes themselves - you might do well and be fair enough to take it all in your stride and see were it ends up.

Good luck to all concerned. It always takes a bit of that.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Atacama was not originaly build in Steel??? On the picture the bike is an aluminium version. Is there no more steel bike in the Sandman bike line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalpine View Post
    The Atacama was not originaly build in Steel??? On the picture the bike is an aluminium version. Is there no more steel bike in the Sandman bike line.
    The Kalahari was/is the steel one, we can still make those but tailormade. The new Atacama (rigid fork) and the new Gobi (suspension fork) share the same Taiwan-made alu frame but with different graphics. The Hoggar ti continues as it is.

I'll try to make some time to send something to fat-bike.com next week, so not to get into trouble with a moderator here.

Trip reports: I'd love to and I have material from 3 really nice ones out of pretty wild & cool places, but to find the time... I can't even find the time to post something on our facebook or webpages...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    finally got an email saying the same thing. goodluck at the megavalanche to the sandman team. @caminolco-- i hope to be able to hold you up to the one week delivery promise upon confirmation after the you guys are done racing.