Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    RIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    You might be in luck, I think the only model that's not going to change is the Hoggar . It will get a somewhat different spec sheet though (and be more expensive). So if you want a 2012 spec & price, better drop them a line soon. The other models will arrive early spring.
    Hey Caminoloco, please let us know about the new upgrades on hubs, forks, tires, We all know your knowledge on those SANDMAN bikes, I have now on mine XTR triggers, FD, RD, SRAM XX cassette, and Truvativ and Carbon Ti Chainrings, husker du tires converted to tubeless, and even on the Chihuahuas desert ( from Coahuila to Chihuahua, we began our ride in Nuevo Leon) which is know for all those types of cacti and thorns I got 4 flats, and got repaired immediately by the white fluid inside the tire!! I only stopped to clean and lubricate the chain! there was 2 days of strong wind, sand, rocks, railroad crossings, but very happy to get into 4 cienegas federal reserve!! on my sand man, my friends were in s-works epics...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoL View Post
    Hey Caminoloco, please let us know about the new upgrades on hubs, forks, tires, We all know your knowledge on those SANDMAN bikes, I have now on mine XTR triggers, FD, RD, SRAM XX cassette, and Truvativ and Carbon Ti Chainrings, husker du tires converted to tubeless, and even on the Chihuahuas desert ( from Coahuila to Chihuahua, we began our ride in Nuevo Leon) which is know for all those types of cacti and thorns I got 4 flats, and got repaired immediately by the white fluid inside the tire!! I only stopped to clean and lubricate the chain! there was 2 days of strong wind, sand, rocks, railroad crossings, but very happy to get into 4 cienegas federal reserve!! on my sand man, my friends were in s-works epics...
    Nice pictures MarcoL, makes me want to go visit your country again (I've been in two places in Mexico and those happen to be the ones you mention: I've been canyoneering in Nuevo Leon close to Monterrey and been biking in the barrancos del Cobre in Chihuahua - that was before I had a fatbike, alas...). I'll post a review of the prototype of the new Javelina fork pretty soon, I haven't been able to ride it yet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Amazing video !!!

RIDE...
    Nice pictures MarcoL, makes me want to go visit your country again (I've been in two places in Mexico and those happen to be the ones you mention: I've been canyoneering in Nuevo Leon close to Monterrey and been biking in the barrancos del Cobre in Chihuahua - that was before I had a fatbike, alas...). I'll post a review of the prototype of the new Javelina fork pretty soon, I haven't been able to ride it yet.
    I live in Monterrey!
    this is the complete album of pictures
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1213810&type=1

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoL View Post
    I live in Monterrey!
    this is the complete album of pictures
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1213810&type=1
    That looks like a really neat trip, I love biking in the mountains but just as well in such wide open spaces - gives me energy.
    Here are a few (wildly off topic..) pics taken near your home in Monterrey, the first one is of the Chipitin canyon (that's me dangling off that rope) and the second is the Matacanes canyon which becomes a cave a few times along its course.
    As an excuse to post these pics, I've got a little project that involves both, canyoneering and fatbiking!

This one is from the Copper Canyon, good memories...

And to get this somehow back on fat topic: all of us fat bikers owe this guy big time. It's Ray Molina, the guy who made the very first fat tire (the Surly Endomorph is basically copy of it) and 80mm rim. Both were made in Mexico ! Ray's equally at home on the Copper canyon singletrack maze as when cooking lasagna in a dutch oven - if you need a guide in that region, he's your man .

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here's my old Wildfire fatbike (the first production fatbike, as far as I know), sporting Ray's Remolino 80mm rims and 3.5" tires.
    Last edited by francois; 01-28-2013 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What s the difference between a trail bike and a snow bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
    What s the difference between a trail bike and a snow bike?
    Good question... you see my current bike and the bike it replaced (that Marin was voted all-mountainbike of the year twice in a row in the UK). The Sandman can do everything (much) better, apart from smooth climbs & hardpack. Not my favourite terrain anyway . That Marin is for sale .

There are a few people here who I think own both a "snowbike" and a Sandman, maybe they can explain the difference better ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

How much does it weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing's impossible View Post
    Not an ordinary 29'er either!
    I thought something was "off" about that photo, video confirmed.

Amazing riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    I thought something was "off" about that photo, video confirmed.

Amazing riding!
    Thanks, you are a good observer!
    I think you are the first one to notice I got rid of my rigth crank!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    part 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Really impressed with designs and the mindset from sandman.
    Wish I could actually ride one, or even see one in person prior to
    pulling the trigger on such a large purchase. sigh.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Come to WV and try mine...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    Come to WV and try mine...

Kinda far, but thanks for the offer!

RIDE...
    Caminoloco,

Nice to know you have been in my city, I usually train in that area on summer, the elevation gain from monterrey to Los Lirios (very close to Matacanes and chipitin, and maybe you know a place named el salto) it is about 3600 mts up and down up and down, Next year will try to climb in the fat..

now on winter we are planning to go on a route from Saltillos to Torreon, in 2 days about 300 kms, there is a place full of dinosaur fossils, and is perfectly flat, excellent for the SANDMAN,

As you have see, there is to many opinions in Mexico about the Fat bikes...

Saludos!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Awesome riding

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing's impossible View Post
    Thanks, you are a good observer!
    I think you are the first one to notice I got rid of my rigth crank!
    I am a ski coach working with adaptive athletes who are training for the Paralympics in Sochi. They are the most inspiring athletes I've worked with over my 18-year career (and 12 kids I've coached have gone to the NorAm/ US Ski Team level). I know several that will lust for a fatbike after they see your video. Nice work and please post some more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well, that's pretty cool!

Let them have a blast on a fatbike!

There are plenty of movies on my channel!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well, that's pretty cool stockli!

Let them have a blast on a fatbike!

There are already plenty of movies on my channel!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockli Boy View Post
    I am a ski coach working with adaptive athletes who are training for the Paralympics in Sochi. They are the most inspiring athletes I've worked with over my 18-year career (and 12 kids I've coached have gone to the NorAm/ US Ski Team level). I know several that will lust for a fatbike after they see your video. Nice work and please post some more.
    Nothing's Impossible's nick is aptly chosen: Transalp race, Santiago de Compestela by bike... pretty incredible from my point of view .

Him and Glenn from the UK should get together someday, now that would be a team ! Sandman Photo Album - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Him and Glenn from the UK should get together someday, now that would be a team ! Sandman Photo Album - Pinkbike
    Do we have a sponsor??

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nothing's impossible,
    could you give the size and standover height of your sandman hoggar?
    any sizing advice?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Charles, I have a size L, and the lowest point of the top tube is around 79 cm

For the size, have a look at the sandman website!

I was between M and L, I 've tested the L for quite a while and the M for a short ride, The L is a bit more stable, the m a bit nimbler, but both fitted nicely!
    I got the L, but the M would ve been fine as well!
    On a 29'er I tend to go for a L, maybe to accentuate the added stability, on 26'ers I used to get M, back than I believed I was faster with a nimble bike!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi guys

I'm the lad from the Uk with the Sandman Hoggar. I've had my bike since April (2012) this year and have to say I've hardly ridden any of my other bikes, the Sandman is just so much fun and it's a real "do it all" ride.

I'm not a pro- rider, nope I'm just a guy who likes to get out and have some fun, experimenting on new trails and sharing my biking experiences on the likes of Youtube or my blog. kotz68.blogspot.co.uk

Size wise I contacted Sandman who were every so kind, even getting in touch with Arnout who offered to help me decide whether to go for a L or a M by taking me for a ride on his bike and a loaner from Sandman. Unfortunately as I'm in the UK and I couldn't take Sandman/Arnout up on the offer I went with Sandman's advice and got myself a size L.

I'm around 6 feet or 182.88cm's tall I find the L bike very stable. I did notice I was stretching just that little bit, but it was a quick fix just got myself a shorter stem.

I would recommend a size Large for stability and a size Medium for something a little more nimbler. I know if I had the spare cash (maybe a lottery win) I would definitely purchase another Sandman, maybe this time trying a size Medium.

When people ask "why get a fat bike compared to any other bike?" I would answer just ride one to see what all the fuss is about, they really are that much fun
    Ibis Mojo SL
    NS Analog
    Sandman Hoggar Ti

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Glenn, what about the Koen's idea?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast