Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Sandman fat suspension fork prototypes

Here are some shots of Sandman's fat suspension fork. These are prototypes made by German Answer (german:A. - lightweight bike engineering since 1995), and are a modified version of their "Flame" inverted suspension fork.

-105 mm between the fork legs
    -90 mm travel, can be dropped to 15 mm on the fly (climbing mode)
    -495 mm axle to crown
    -approximately 1900 grams

Andy
    Last edited by francois; 01-28-2013 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So glad the A to C is low. I don't need more lustworthy items in my life.

That is sweet though, pricing??
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Proper forks for proper bikes...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Stock Flame forks are 506 mm A to C. The Sandman versions were done at 495 mm to match the Maverick SC32, since Sandman frames are designed to use the Maverick.
    No word on price yet. The prototypes just arrived, and will be tested in the next few weeks. The first batch of forks will go on complete Sandman Gobi builds.
    Mendon, out of curiosity, what are you comparing to when you say the 495 A to C is low?
    Andy

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon
    Mendon, out of curiosity, what are you comparing to when you say the 495 A to C is low?
    Andy
    DUC32 @ 520. I just designed a frame around one, sourced a good condition used one, etc. Having a cool offering show up, now, so close to delivery, would make me do very ill considered things
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hebbe hebbe hebbe!!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Time to take on another side job... =)

This place needs an enema
    What hub standard? 20 x 110?

Nuts
    Interesting! For myself anyways I would rather have a lockout then a silly on the fly travel adj. Can't wait to see the price and what hub is used.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The stock Flame fork uses a 20 mm thru axle (I assume 110 spacing- their website doesn't say). The Sandman versions will also use a 20 mm axle, but will come with either a custom wide front hub or with spacers to run a standard 110 hub.
    A lockout is an option on the stock Flame forks, but I'm not sure if one will be offered on the Sandman version, and I don't know if the lockout internal parts from a standard version could be added.
    Andy

mtbr member
    How is the quality vs. a Maverick?

mtbr member

Very interested..

I am also interested in this fork, always good to have options..
    "To Name me, is to label me." -
    Michi or Dick Van Patton

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmonkey
    I am also interested in this fork, always good to have options..
    No many options around... the SC32 is discontinued and the DUC can't handle wide rims (it narrows down on top), this looks like the only option for 70-80mm rim combo's.

Reliability: time will tell, the Sandman test crew (including me :-)) will try to break these first 6 prototypes asap. If we succeed, I'll let you know. It's definitely a world of difference when you put them side by side: the SC32 looks like a twig compared to a Flame, the lower leg of a Flame is almost as wide as the upper of a SC32... and certified 1900 grams, I saw them hanging from a digital scale.

Stiff too: if you take the front wheel on an SC32 between your legs you can turn the handlebars almost 20-30 in either direction (pretty scary in fact if you do that). Not so with the Flame, only a little give.
    With a steel steering tube instead of the stock alu one, they're cleared for tandem use.
    The "countersteering under braking" effect is also gone, and the shortening of the forks' travel on the fly instead of a lockout is also cool for me. The lockout being pretty useless for what I do with my bike, I've been running an SC32 for two years now and I've only once locked it out: on a 30km asfalt stretch.

But I'll only be able to see what that gives on steep climbs and give it a serious test later this week or during the weekend, coupled to the new titanium frameset - I'll post a few pictures of both in action.

mtbr member
    so at 105mm width a 100mm rim might be a tight fit? what size rims will you use for your testing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yxan
    so at 105mm width a 100mm rim might be a tight fit? what size rims will you use for your testing?
    Me, I'll run 80mm rims. The other test riders will have 47mm rims. I don't think anyone will even try putting in 100's: this bike/suspension fork combo is made for fast & fun biking on rough terrain - not for slogging through soft & squishy stuff on a singlespeed or on the little ring (terrain and speeds where you don't need front suspension). And fast they are, one of the test crew finished 12th in the solo's men category of the BCBR last year on a Sandman Gobi/SC32 combo. You don't do that on a slug (and 100mm's).
    Those wide rims are great for area's where flotation is THE issue, where there's a thin line between biking and walking. No use to add a front sus there.

Anyway, on all fat bike rims with a Surly tire you already have about 2" of very sensitive bump absorption. Everything extra is for taking the hurt out of big hits and maintaining control at higher speeds - running my front sus fat bike over rough stuff or downhill continues to put a on my face.

mtbr member
    fair enough, I guess I know nothing about these bikes, but the tires seem heavy regardless on what rims you put them on

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Is the Sandman Gobi available in the US? If not, will it be?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco
    No many options around... the SC32 is discontinued...
    I hadn't encountered this info. Link?

mtbr member
    I got some nice east coast rocks I can bang these off of if need be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate
    I hadn't encountered this info. Link?

Straight from Maverick today: Thanks for the email and interest in Maverick forks. The discontinuation of the SC32 fork is a little bit misleading. The SC32 is going to go through a redesign and since we are small the fork it will be off the market for approximately a year before we have the new one ready. Our current focus is on our carbon DUC models in both 36mm stanchions and 32mm stanchions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    Straight from Maverick today: Thanks for the email and interest in Maverick forks. The discontinuation of the SC32 fork is a little bit misleading. The SC32 is going to go through a redesign and since we are small the fork it will be off the market for approximately a year before we have the new one ready. Our current focus is on our carbon DUC models in both 36mm stanchions and 32mm stanchions.
    That's about what I heard: "Maverick is putting all its fork eggs into a new double crown carbon fork, called a DUC36 and revised internals for its DUC32". Seems they dumped the old alu version of the DUC32 and go carbon for both models ?
    "Plans to restart production of the (slow selling) SC32 in 2012" - but given their record of keeping production dates... And let's face it, that fork needs more then a simple tune-up. It's from 2004 or 2005, things have progressed a bit suspensionwise since then. It's a decent fork and in my experience very reliable, but flexible as a noodle and a pain the b*tt to take the wheel in and out while keeping it in the same position vs the brake caliper. Seems like every time I take the wheel out I have to re-center my brake caliper...

So they'll probably do a complete redesign and come up with a brand lower-travel fork, hence my "the SC32 is discontinued".
    Last year the old DUC32 was out of stock and only a handful of SC32 left. I don't know if production of the new DUC forks has started - seems not because nobody carries them. And who knows when... there are some pretty dated threads about the announced DUC36 here in mtbr. If the new SC32 will take as long, we're looking at 2014...

I found a DUC32 on ebay a while ago, as an upgrade for my old SC32 but it could only handle Larry's on a 47mm rim - alas not my 70mm's...
    From the pictures I find of the DUC36 I don't think it can handle wider tires, it's got thicker upper legs so probably less. And current frame geometry would have to be changed, it seems pretty long (travel seems to wander between 160 and 200mm, depending on the source).

So if you need a suspension fork for your fatbike in a hurry, grab one of the remaining (?) SC32's, source one from ebay or wait 2 months for the German-A Flame "wide", I think Sandman will offer them as spare parts on their webshop.

mtbr member
    I would like to try the Flame but wonder how much it will cost in the US since our dollar is so weak.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco
    Me, I'll run 80mm rims. The other test riders will have 47mm rims. I don't think anyone will even try putting in 100's: this bike/suspension fork combo is made for fast & fun biking on rough terrain - not for slogging through soft & squishy stuff on a singlespeed or on the little ring (terrain and speeds where you don't need front suspension). And fast they are, one of the test crew finished 12th in the solo's men category of the BCBR last year on a Sandman Gobi/SC32 combo. You don't do that on a slug (and 100mm's).
    Those wide rims are great for area's where flotation is THE issue, where there's a thin line between biking and walking. No use to add a front sus there.

Anyway, on all fat bike rims with a Surly tire you already have about 2" of very sensitive bump absorption. Everything extra is for taking the hurt out of big hits and maintaining control at higher speeds - running my front sus fat bike over rough stuff or downhill continues to put a on my face.
    I disagree with some of this... since nobody's yet made a susp. fork that would fit a hunddie, seem's kinda silly to make statements about how one might work and since when has it been a question of "need"? I for one would love to find out what a 100mm would feel like on a suspension fork. And, by the way, I spend plenty of time in the middle (and occasionally in the big) chainring. And, even 100's could use suspension goin' fast over the wind packed ripple sections, driftwood,etc. Thing is, most of us, fat biker's that is, ride in widely varying conditions and don't have a van full of optional gear following us to change wheels & etc. every time we go from dirt to soft sand. Wish that crown could be just a little wider! Remember everybody, talk is cheap... lot's of people make lot's of statements, they're just opinions...

mtbr member
    Amen to that, I really don't see the massive performance difference between a 80mm and a 100mm rim, both will suck for dirt riding compared to a regular 29" inch rim. But certain terrain that is bouncy will make for a more pleasurable ride regardless of rim width. Seems silly to not design something that will take all fat bike rims into account, its niche enough as is, might as well include them all

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast