mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Salsa vs. Lemere

Holy moly I'm just mind boggled, I would just like to get some input on a Salsa Beargrease 1 vs. LeMere fatty (Currently on a Mukluk w Bluto and I dig it but want to shed lbs!!!) I would like to throw 29er plus wheels on in the summer. I mainly ride technical single track and these are the same trails I ride in the winter after I groom them with snowshoes and XC skis. Look forward to your input!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Never seen a used lamere for sale

Take that for what it's worth

I've never owned a lamere but have spoken with Jp a few times

I will soon enough

Elitest thrill junkie
    I own and ride one. Like it a lot. I've done lots of races on it (including today). I have a summer set of 29er wheels built for it too. I even saw another one at the race today (which is rare for AK, most bikes are 907s, Fatbacks or mass-produced stuff).Salsa vs. Lemere-01a687f22ef37ebe94fc85ab61f8eead789da216a2.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Pippy no spell so good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've been on a LeMere all season, and have raced it 4 times. I love it, and I can say the experience working with JP was great. The bike has held up perfectly without any issues, including the LaMere carbon wheels.

I also just recently raced a borrowed Salsa Beargrease while on a trip. It worked great!

Here is what I think between the two bikes: If you set me up with the same frame size, wheels, TIRES, drive train, & cockpit, I don't think I could tell the difference in a "blind riding test" (no, I don't mean blindfolded, but good luck hiding that Salsa paint job).

In my opinion, the least noticeable difference (especially on snow), once you are talking about light weight, high end fat bikes is probably the frame itself. Most noticeable would be tires, and everything else shakes out somewhere in between...
    Salsa vs. Lemere-img_0330.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    "LaMere's" are awesome bikes. Not real sure bout LeMere's though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Chinese knock-off, typical issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Ya, you'd a thunk I coulda spelled it rite, especially when I posted a picture with the name on the down tube. But then again, I chose to spend a significant amount of money on a super light high tech bike frame and components to which I attached ridiculously bulbous looking heavy tires with which I spend an inordinate amount of time riding at about 7mph when I am not falling off the trail.
    Spelling is the least of my problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Chinese knock-off, typical issues.
    Funny, I did a race a few weeks ago sponsored by a well known fat bike "manufacturer" whose carbon bike lineage would have a pretty tough time competing with LaMere in a "who's the Chinese knock-off debate". I'm not even sure what that means...

What I do know is that I had three phone conversations with JP, several emails, walked into his shop on Dupont Ave in Mpls, shook his hand and walked out with a bike. I have had zero issues after 2+ months of riding, and I did not find any on the forums when I did my research, as Pippy is doing now.

BTW, what are the "typical issues" that I need to be aware of on my LaMere so I can prepare myself for it's demise, as I plan to race it this weekend? Should I bring a spare frame, wheels, bar or seatpost? I would plan on maybe using one of the demo bikes from the Race's title sponsor as back up, but dang- looks like they may be some of them Chinese Knock-offs...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, one issue I had yesterday was I won a race on it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cfta View Post
    Funny, I did a race a few weeks ago sponsored by a well known fat bike "manufacturer" whose carbon bike lineage would have a pretty tough time competing with LaMere in a "who's the Chinese knock-off debate". I'm not even sure what that means...

What I do know is that I had three phone conversations with JP, several emails, walked into his shop on Dupont Ave in Mpls, shook his hand and walked out with a bike. I have had zero issues after 2+ months of riding, and I did not find any on the forums when I did my research, as Pippy is doing now.

BTW, what are the "typical issues" that I need to be aware of on my LaMere so I can prepare myself for it's demise, as I plan to race it this weekend? Should I bring a spare frame, wheels, bar or seatpost? I would plan on maybe using one of the demo bikes from the Race's title sponsor as back up, but dang- looks like they may be some of them Chinese Knock-offs...
    I think the main issue with this particular knock off is not catching on to the joke

mtbr member

whhhhoooossssssshhhhhhhh
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think I've been grammar Nazi'd... I appreciate the feed back on the LAMERE... I'm curious to the typical Chinese knock off issues? Most carbon frames that are mass produced are coming from Asia and are open molds...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I think the main issue with this particular knock off is not catching on to the joke
    Crap. Can't spell, humor goes right over my head. Guess I'll go back to drinking beer. I think I am still good at that...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Crap. Can't spell, humor goes right over my head. Guess I'll go back to drinking beer. I think I am still good at that...
    Ride first. All is cured by ride and beer.

::thumbs up::

mtbr member
    They're both nice frames, both are stiff and are nice build qualities

There are 2 bigger differences that I see.
    The Lamere can take a 4.8 in the rear and the Beargrease can't
    The Lamere fork doesn't have the dropouts catches likes most forks do, it makes it a pain to reinstall the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for sharing, I like the comparison, I feel the stand over would be a little tight on the LaMere. May I ask your height?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippy187 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I like the comparison, I feel the stand over would be a little tight on the LaMere. May I ask your height?
    I'm 5'10" The Beargrease is a medium and I believe the Lamere is a large

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippy187 View Post
    It is. The LaMere is orientated a little more towards racing, so it shaves grams in a few places, doesn't have rack mounts, etc. For this, it weighs as little as 2.8lbs (size small) which is impressive for a fatbike and makes for a light bike overall. I wouldn't say it's weak either, it's held up for me for a few seasons of racing, but it's no AM bike obviously too. It is really easy to be fast on, at least for me.

Originally, they started with the 170mm rear end to make it as light as possible, in line with the above goals. They introduced a 190mm version though, still with the goal of making it as light as possible, but this should help with running something other than 1x and give a little more tire clearance. With the 170mm frame, I'm able to run Dillinger 5s on carbon 90mm rims. I feel that with tubes this may not be as possible, because the clearance is close and I've noticed more tire-carcass-warpage on the rim when using tubes, but tubeless, it's magic, works great. Since I can fit my dream-tire on there, which works during the entire winter, I'm happy and I don't want for anything more. Unless you are really really concerned with racing and think you'll never need any more clearance, might as well go with the 190mm frame.

There's a little trap-door on the BB to help you route the cables through the bike. Derailleur isn't too bad if you follow their instructions, nothing crazy. Rear brake can be a PITA, I cheated and had the LBS do it. This is like most internally routed frames these days though.

One of the highlights was the fork, at least to me. Previously, I had a Carver carbon fork, but the LaMere version was just way beefier, way bigger in every dimension and I swear it felt more solid out on the trail. The Carver had "bladed" fork legs/blades that were very narrow. The LaMere fork seems to make a lot more of the material and the end result is a stiffer fork. I think most of the forks coming on carbon frames are now like this, but the design of the Carver left a little to be desired. Also (the Carver) had some funky brake mount retaining bolts if I remember correctly.

Otherwise, it's usually just a dream to ride, pedals up stuff great, floats through snow nice, I feel the large was a great choice for my 5'11" build, gets me nice and stretched without making it too goofy or unmaneuverable. You don't realize what a toll accelerating a heavy bike takes on you during a long ride, constantly lifting it, accelerating it sideways, what the wheels do, etc. Now if I go ride a 38lb metal fatbike, it feels like I'm dragging a 50lb anchor behind me while trying to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I purchased a fatbike from JP Aug 2014, after looking at everything available on the market. JP was very easy to get along with, very informative and overall it was a great
    buying experience. I bought the bike to ride in the winter, but I enjoy it so much I am using it year round. I have 6 bikes in total, so riding my Lamere Fatbike in the spring and summer takes away from enjoying my other bikes, that must say something!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Salsa vs. Lemere

Quote Originally Posted by wwfatty View Post
    I purchased a fatbike from JP Aug 2014, after looking at everything available on the market. JP was very easy to get along with, very informative and overall it was a great
    buying experience. I bought the bike to ride in the winter, but I enjoy it so much I am using it year round. I have 6 bikes in total, so riding my Lamere Fatbike in the spring and summer takes away from enjoying my other bikes, that must say something!
    +1

I bought my fat bike, with a Lauf fork, from JP a year ago and it's become my primary bike (out of 5 really nice bikes). VERY happy with the bike and JP! I'm adding some JP's 29+ carbon wheels for XC racing this summer. Should be light and fast.