Dudette

Salsa Snow Isis?

For those of you with the 2013 Salsa Mukluks 3, how do you like the Salsa Snow Isis crankset? Are there any issues with chain rub, and what is the largest tire you're riding? I know I've been checking out the Muk 2 and Fatback, but aside from saving weight (and I'm not racing) why shouldn't I also consider the less expensive option? I haven't been able to find any reviews of their crankset online.

Pick a wheel size...
    I just swapped the stock crankset for a Surly Mr. Whirly 22/36/BG combo.

Why?

I wanted the smaller granny.

I wanted a bash guard.

I wanted 170mm arms - 180mm were stock and I was bashing my pedals everywhere.

I wanted to use my King external BB that was all lonely on the shelf.

It wasn't that I was unhappy with the stock set, other than the length of the arms, I just needed a better fit for me and how I ride. Also, this was my first experience with an ISIS BB (showing my age)...nothing wrong with it at all, I just prefer external BB as that what I have on all my bikes, and it's what I know.

No issues with chainrub in any gear combination, so you shouldn't need to worry about that with the stock Nate.

I'm nowhere near concerned about weight on my fat bike so I'm the wrong guy to help you there.

My only advice would be - save $ and get the Muk 3, pull the parts that don't fit your style, sell 'em, and customize it the way you like it.

Harmonius Wrench
    I work in a shop that sells Salsa bikes, and I have seen this crank set up close. For all intents and purposes it is identical to the former Origin 8 Sub Compact crankset, which I have been using on my bike for over a year now.

The crank works fine, but it is heavy. The tire set up I have is Rolling Darryls with BFLs. I run a 9spd 11-36T cassette and there is no rub with my chain on the tire. Using any 3.8"ers would be okay with Rolling Daryls. Going with the Clownshoes, (if I had them), would necessitate cassette modification to clear in the lowest combo with most any tire. I'm pretty sure a Lou would rub the frame with RD's, so there is no point in going there.

My frame is a 2011, so if I had a 2013, I might buy a little frame clearance with the Alternator run all the way back, but you'd still be rubbing the chain without modding the cassette with the bigger tires or 100mm rims & 3.8"ers, me thinks. BFL's on RD's being the exception there.

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post

I wanted a bash guard.

My only advice would be - save $ and get the Muk 3, pull the parts that don't fit your style, sell 'em, and customize it the way you like it.
    Jim, last comment = sage advice.

Petey, I have the Muk 3 with Snow ISIS. No rubbing issues...very clean chainline...yep, likely heavy like the rest of the bike and there are no flats for mounting bash, but here's what I did for all of $0.25:

How-to: Add a Bashguard to a 2013 Mukluk 3

Dudette
    Very helpful - thanks for the replies! Like Jim replied above, I'm used to the external bb's and prefer them, but to save a bit of $, I can deal with the stock bb/cransket for a while, and make some weight-saving upgrades eventually.