Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Salsa Mukluk 2

So I've got the bug and wanted to pick up a Mukluk this season. But missed out on one at the LBS. Well now after speaking to the two Salsa dealers in my area, they each spoke of a Mukluk 2. Lighter is what they mostly said. Out in October of 2011. Anybody know anything about this?

No, that's not phonetic
    Well, V.1 had some damn porky parts on it to hit a certain price point (read as: cheap). V.2 they will probably swap out a few bits for lighter versions. I would be surprised if they saved weight off the frame.

Just get a Fatback now. There's still plenty of winter left. Believe me, I know.

mtbr member
    Fatbikes aren't just for winter.

Think of all the other soft riding conditions around, eg sand, gravel, because they excel on those too. They are also surprisingly capable on rocky technical stuff.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

PUG U!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    Fatbikes aren't just for winter.

Think of all the other soft riding conditions around, eg sand, gravel, because they excel on those too. They are also surprisingly capable on rocky technical stuff.

RIGHT ON!!!!

Peace

mtbr member
    Very interesting.

Ligter tubes and rims, perhaps?

I wonder if they'll change the rear brake cable routing. The reduction in length would save a few ounces, but could be a technical improvement too.

For selfish reasons, I hope V2 isn't TOO big of an improvement over my V1!

Please update us if you happen to hear more!
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ti

?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Check with your local Salsa dealer...There are three Mukluks set for next season. one is Ti. one will be more upscle with rolling D's. Most dealers have this info already.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think I would be dead interested in a Ti mukluk, but cant find any details on it yet ?!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by cozz
    I think I would be dead interested in a Ti mukluk, but cant find any details on it yet ?!
    Why not be dead interested in a Ti Fatback. Lots of details on it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB
    because I dont like the aesthetics of the frame with the top tube - Im not saying it does not make good sense, I just dont like the looks Im afraid

Caveman
    The Ti Fatbacks have a really gentle curve to the top tube, not the big bend that the AL frames have.

hispanic mechanic
    Wow, between all the Salsas, Fatbacks, not to mention others, how does Lynskey find time to build their own stuff?!?
    Pricing would probably be close, so unless you were getting a shop deal from Salsa, I'd also agree to support Speedway and Fatback.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

mtbr member
    Much more refined design, though... but I'm probably jaded...I do own two...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB
    OR Ti 907
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

hispanic mechanic
    Dang. Looks pretty sharp.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Image deleted due to copyright infringement

e.13 cranks, Rolling Darryl, X.9, only $500 bucks more... whoa...
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 03-27-2011 at 08:25 AM.

How much does it weigh?
    Wow, I know what I'm getting for the wife when it's time.

mtbr member
    Spoke with Salsa this afternoon....This Model will not be available to late fall 2011...Also mentioned the Cambria Bike link, and the guy said that it will be pulled. Bummer

Harmonius Wrench
    Link is still live as of this morning.

See that seat post?

Nice move to go ano on the aluminum frame. Interesting change to an Endo for the rear tire. Reflects what I see most guys using here.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    I like the color better on the new one. I've had too many blue bikes over the years. When will the Mukluk 2 be available?

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    Image deleted due to copyright infringement

e.13 cranks, Rolling Darryl, X.9, only $500 bucks more... whoa...

Are they still keeping that ridiculous rear brake cable routing, or is that just a half assed photoshop job to show the look of the new frame?
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 03-27-2011 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I like it. I wonder if the Ti. frame will actually happen or if it's just a rumor. I'll stay tuned.

mtbr member
    I would bet the Ti. frame is coming and probably sooner then the Anno. version, my guess picture a Ti. Fatback with a round down tube and a sloping instead of curved top tube.

The brake line is fine if you run a decent brake instead of the BB7.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo1
    I would bet the Ti. frame is coming and probably sooner then the Anno. version, my guess picture a Ti. Fatback with a round down tube and a sloping instead of curved top tube.

The brake line is fine if you run a decent brake instead of the BB7.

A decent brake other than Magura, most of Shimano and some Avid and Hayes hydros?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo1
    Which is to say the original Carver sourced Fatback.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak
    Which is to say the original Carver sourced Fatback.
    I've seen the proto. It was made by Lynskey.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    To cross-post a comment (Paid Spam: Jay Petervary's Ti 9:Zero:7 complete bike)...apparently the BB7 is good enough for Jay P. to set a new record to Nome, but not good enough otherwise.

just ride
    Hey guys -

I don't want to give anyone the impression that we are ignoring you, but in this case one of our dealers accidentally leaked our 2012 preview that we sent them, it was not meant to be public.

Due to this, you should feel lucky that you got a sneak peak, but we will not be answering any questions on this model at this time.

Why? Well, we send out previews to dealers so they can plan their shop accordingly for the coming year. But many of these items are still in the final stages of development, and the truth is that many of those answers do not even exist yet. To provide an answer this early would be disingenuous, as it may or may not change, and this could cause problems down the road.

The only thing I will say is to look for our 2012 models to be available much earlier this year than last, well before the snow flies even in Alaska.

TIm, Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ohhhh - i cant wait - would love a complete ti fat bike build !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I was just saying that rather than picture a ti Fatback but with a round downtube and sloping top tube you could go back to the original ti Fatback where you wouldn't have to imagine those attributes because that's how it was built. I wasn't commenting on who was going to be building the Mukluk.
    I second the earlier comment that Lynsky will be busy if they build Mukluks too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    The only thing I will say is to look for our 2012 models to be available much earlier this year than last, well before the snow flies even in Alaska.
    Where in Alaska?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate
    Where in Alaska?

He has no clue.

mtbr member

Production bikes will not be made by Lynsky at least for a few years.
    Why wait for an inferior design, buy a Fatback.
    Don't like the aesthetics of the top tube? Get a custom.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    if you're going to delete my image post, you should tell Cambria to take down their page that's still up:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=125481

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    and now the cambria link is down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Production bikes will not be made by Lynsky at least for a few years.
    Why wait for an inferior design, buy a Fatback.
    Don't like the aesthetics of the top tube? Get a custom.
    Why is a Fatback superior?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Don't get me wrong, love,love, love to ride my fatty's on snow. Just surprised more folks don't pick up on these things (whatever company is building them) as viable year round adventure bikes. When I'm in the mountains, I think of them as "self propelled jeeps"... when I'm in the dunes... "self propelled dune buggies". What I really love about FB's is that they allow me to do stuff previously reserved for motorized vehicles (or horse & foot traffic). And they do just fine regular trail riding as well w/ the right set-up... maybe a little different "mood", but it's a good mood none the less.

mtbr member
    Cable routing is better thought out for starters...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward
    Don't get me wrong, love,love, love to ride my fatty's on snow. Just surprised more folks don't pick up on these things (whatever company is building them) as viable year round adventure bikes.
    I second that, when I switched from FS to rigid singlespeed part of the appeal was that it made boring trails fun again. The Fatback makes pretty much any off-road surface fun. I'm having a blast just loading my bike up with food, drinks, tools, layers, camera, etc. and just riding as far as time allows. I'm riding areas that I had written off as "ruined" by motorcycle and ATV abuse, now those eroded climbs and 15' wide mud holes are just another obstacle for the fattie to conquer.

On another note, I was fully planning on building up a set of 29er wheels for my FB, but then I decided to try it out on some technical stuff and I was thoroughly impressed. Why build a set of wheels that I feel will be inferior on at least 75% of the terrain I ride. If I didn't already have a 29er it would be different, but I do.

bucking the fends
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    He has no clue.
    And you do? (not talking about snow in Alaska here...)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, I think he does- he probably has more miles on a snow bike than the rest of the posters on here combined, and more winter racing experience than all but 1 or 2 people-

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Wow, didn't know this thread was still kicking that I started back in February. I missed the sneak peek photo that was accidentally leaked. I guess I'll just keep riding my boring old 26 inch full suspension this summer in anticipation for some fatter tired bike (brand and model yet to be determined) this winter!

get down!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i wonder if the "undecided" salsa fork hints at maybe a salsa branded carbon one?
    i can't see 600$ worth of difference between the darryls, the e13 cranks and an x9 added here or there.

all full of anticipation!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Wow! That is a huge price increase over the current model, is it not? I'm not sure I could bring myself to spend that much. $1500 is a nice price point. Going to $2100 puts the bike into a different -- and less likely -- category.

Did the cost of parts really go up that much?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Wow! That is a huge price increase over the current model, is it not? I'm not sure I could bring myself to spend that much. $1500 is a nice price point. Going to $2100 puts the bike into a different -- and less likely -- category.

Did the cost of parts really go up that much?
    I work in a shop and price increases have been occuring across the board on all brands bikes. So, that has to be part of the price here with the Muk II. The other obvious thing is the upgraded parts from the original Mukluk. Darryl rims, E-13 crankset, etc.

That's supposedly Salsa's new carbon post on there too.

The fork will be different as well. Pretty sure of that. I've seen a proto they were testing.

The frame is also anodized, not powder coat. Not sure if that is more spendiferous or not.

All of that would easily boost the prices up. It's an improvement on the original, too. Can't see too much wrong with that price.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Can't see too much wrong with that price.
    It moves the bike from a price I'm willing to pay to a price point at which I'm probably going to get more bang for my buck from buying something completely different. These bikes took off in my area of the country this past season. I believe one reason they did so was the availability of completes at $1500.

Even if the extra parts are "worth it", I'm not so sure. A carbon seatpost? On a fat bike? Who cares? Give me a $20 post and the other $80 in my pocket. Are the Daryl rims really better than what's on the current model? Are they amazingly better? Or are they "diminishing returns" better?

Maybe I'll feel differently next spring, but right now I'm choking on a $500 increase.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I know that the folks from Chain Reaction (9:zero:7) in Anchorage were at Frostbike showing off their new carbon fork to the dudes at Salsa. It is built like the White Brothers fork with AL steerer, crown, and dropouts and then carbon legs. Perhaps the "undecided" fork will be some version of this new fork, though I would think that would take the price up higher.

mtbr member
    That Mukluk 2 is built just like mine i custom built last year. I can vouch for it's greatness.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast