Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanpierce View Post
    170mm Turbine is 202mm, 190mm Turbine is 222mm, and I believe OD is 212mm.
    Thanks for the info, what I'm hearing so far is I'm not going to decrease my Q factor since I'm already running the OD crank and the 170 turbine doesn't fit the frame

I'll deal with it, not going backwards from lou on hundies for winter
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    I picked up a medium DS today. This bike is great. The geometry is more to my liking than my Boris. Hops soooo much easier and feels more like a big BMX than I expected it to.

The Lous roll a bit heavy on the pavement to the trails but float pretty nice on the sand in the barrens.

Besides, the green really is flipping awesome and I wanted a fatty that fits the big rims/ tires with the short stays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My latest upgrade to the Blackborow Nextie Snow Leopards, I9 hubs, Vee Bulldozers setup tubeless. All I can say is WOW, the difference in weight compared to the original setup of clownshoes and lou's is night and day especially when riding. I wish I had a scale, but I can say just picking up one wheel with tires and rotor and comparing the other is noticeable.

I put 30 miles on it on canal path, mix of pavement and gravel, nothing challenging. Even still, I can tell/feel a significant difference in accelerating, climbing, maintaining speed, and top speed. This is a great 3 seasons wheelset.

I can't wait to get out tomorrow for another ride. Thanks again Mendoncyclesmith for putting it all together for me!

Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_20150425_172007.jpgSalsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_20150425_171946.jpg

aka bOb
    Sweet setup!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Sweet setup!!
    Thanks! Hows your single speed coming along?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    Thanks! Hows your single speed coming along?
    Kinda got pushed aside for a moment for summer plastic bike I'm working on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    I am having a problem with my front thru-axle. It seems there's always a litlle bit of play. I went to my LBS this morning, they told me it looks like the axle don't have enough tread. So when it's thighten to the max, there's still a small play between fork and hub. My axle is a Rock-Shox. They will check with QBP if they encoutered the same problem on other bike and how to fix it. They told me it's safe to ride the bike like this for now...

Anobody had the same problem?
    If someone experience the same problem... After some discussion with QBP, tech guy at my LBS tried to sand the fork a bit cause the thru-axle wasn't in contact with all the surface as it is supposed to be (from pictures of the fork they ask me to take). It help but still some play. So QBP sent a new fork and everything is fine now. Good service at my LBS and with QBP. While they were installing my new fork, I was able to drag my GF in the store to try some bikes and we left with a Giant XTC with great specs for her(SLX, Deore, recond fork, etc)
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    If someone experience the same problem... After some discussion with QBP, tech guy at my LBS tried to sand the fork a bit cause the thru-axle wasn't in contact with all the surface as it is supposed to be (from pictures of the fork they ask me to take). It help but still some play. So QBP sent a new fork and everything is fine now. Good service at my LBS and with QBP. While they were installing my new fork, I was able to drag my GF in the store to try some bikes and we left with a Giant XTC with great specs for her(SLX, Deore, recond fork, etc)
    You know what, now that I read this I think I have the same issue. There seems to be just a little bit of play up there, never thought too much of it until I read this post.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post
    You know what, now that I read this I think I have the same issue. There seems to be just a little bit of play up there, never thought too much of it until I read this post.
    was out riding with a guy this am on a rocky mtn blizzard with bluto. lots of play and not the headset, rotor, or caliper. will pass this info along.

Last edited by newmarketrog; 05-08-2015 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine is a stock salsa fork though, no bluto here...yet.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post
    Mine is a stock salsa fork though, no bluto here...yet.
    a thru axle issue. imagine that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Before
    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_20150510_132055.jpg
    After
    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_20150511_190024.jpg

Ditched the two chainrings and derailleur for a 1x10 setup. 28t Wolftooth chainring.

Took it for a quick spin up the street. Feels good, I didn't notice much loss on the low range, and feels like a better use of the high range. Whereas the last two or three cogs on the cassette when using the 36t chainring were hardly ever used, gearing was too high/tall.

A 30t might have been even better setup with a 42t low range added onto the cassette. Not a big deal though, I can't wait to do more riding on this setup.

mtbr member
    Quick question for those using Race Face turbine cinch. I have the 190mm version with ICT spacer kit. There's 6 spacers x 2.5mm each. There's also 2 big spacers provided with the cranks ( I don't know if I need to use them...)

From previous post, I would need 11.5mm NDS and 4mm DS? (I've also seen 10-5). So 4 spacers NDS and 2 on DS with the ICT kit?

I also just found out that I need a special tool to mount my NW ring ...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

aka bOb
    Don't use the big spacers, I have 3 small ones from the ict kit on each side and it seems about perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any chance you can throw a caliper on the gap between both crank arms and CS, bOb? Curious to know what your number is with three per side. Also wondering what the Q is on that config too...

mtbr member
    Don't use the big spacers, I have 3 small ones from the ict kit on each side and it seems about perfect.
    Ok Thanks! Just have to wait for btt-22 from park tool to install my RF-NW (my lbs should have one tomorow). It took 24 hours to receive the crankset and 1 week for ict spacers just to find out that I'm not ready to do the job!!!
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Do you know what difference it makes between your setup and what RF and Salsa are suggesting (2x 1.5 and 11.5 so basically 2spacers and 4 spacers from ict kit)
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    Any chance you can throw a caliper on the gap between both crank arms and CS, bOb? Curious to know what your number is with three per side. Also wondering what the Q is on that config too...
    16mm on each side right on the nuts where the pedal spindle comes in. I can check q later but it should be the same as the stock 190 configuration.
    Do you know what difference it makes between your setup and what RF and Salsa are suggesting (2x 1.5 and 11.5 so basically 2spacers and 4 spacers from ict kit)
    Don't know, mine seems to be centered good but I am single speed so I just set the rear cog to match but like I said it seems centered with the hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the measuring.

Now throw up some pics of this shapely new singlesTeed already...

aka bOb

It's nothin pretty just my winter salt townie duty bike. Didn't even lighten the rims at all, got sidetracked with building my summer rig.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Oh I get it, you don't want anyone making fun of your basket and streamers. ; P

It's all good, I don't judge.

aka bOb
    Oh I get it, you don't want anyone making fun of your basket and streamers. ; P

It's all good, I don't judge.
    It's the lack of that worries me with this crowd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anyone put a bluto on the BB yet?

aka bOb

Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-17470305798_d2e4ea8be8_b.jpg

See nuttin special

Harmonius Wrench
    I've seen plenty of that here and on the Blackborow Facebook page. I have one myself to go on my Blackie DS but I am still gathering parts for the Summer build.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

banned
    Sep 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17470305798_d2e4ea8be8_b.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	485.2 KB 
ID:	988452
    What happened? They dint have the next size up?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    What happened? They dint have the next size up?
    What do you mean?

banned
    Sep 2008
    What do you mean?
    The way you have it set up makes it look like you tried to take a medium and make it a large.

aka bOb
    The way you have it set up makes it look like you tried to take a medium and make it a large.
    I'm only 5'8 and it is a medium.

Long legs, short torso, and wide wingspan

I just went and sat on it and the saddle is about 10mm to high right now so it will only give me about 260mm of seatpost sticking out which isn't to bad for me anyways. It only has a 90mm stem on it which is slammed down so it's actually only about an 80mm (all I had laying around)

banned
    Sep 2008
    I'm only 5'8 and it is a medium.

Long legs short torso and wide wingspan
    Yowza. You ever try a large with a 60/70mm stem and a non offset post with saddle centered?

aka bOb
    Yowza. You ever try a large with a 60/70mm stem and a non offset post with saddle centered?
    We joke about this all the time, I am the tallest short person you will ever meet. There isn't a bike fit chart on the planet that would put my height on a large but i know I could get away with it pretty easy but they just don't feel as playful to throw around. I can get away with a 70mm stem on some mediums if I run about 780mm bars but my BB only has 710's on it.

aka bOb
    Mine doesn't really look that much different than Trailcrawlers shown right above mine.

banned
    Sep 2008
    We joke about this all the time, I am the tallest short person you will ever meet. There isn't a bike fit chart on the planet that would put my height on a large but i know I could get away with it pretty easy but they just don't feel as playful to throw around. I can get away with a 70mm stem on some mediums if I run about 780mm bars but my BB only has 710's on it.
    Rite on mang. I want a bb. Still

mtbr member
    I'm feeling like an idiot right now but can you tell me what bb you guys are using to run RF turbine cinch crankset?? Never ask myself if it would fit my actual bb... Eh! That spindle is huge!!

My first 1x conversion went a lot smoothier!
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

aka bOb
    I'm feeling like an idiot right now but can you tell me what bb you guys are using to run RF turbine cinch crankset?? Never ask myself if it would fit my actual bb... Eh! That spindle is huge!!

My first 1x conversion went a lot smoothier!
    Just a raceface cinch (30mm) pf92 bb with ict spindle spacer kit.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your help... Guess I'll run my BB 2x for a while
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    this?
    Race Face
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-dscn1775r.jpg

Switched the cogs so I can run it 30/22 and leave it there for now. Spins out a bit on the pavement but I can climb and keep up with a group without trouble. First single speed bigger than a BMX cruiser for me. Love it and I don't miss the sound of sand grinding on those thin 10 speed cogs. 4.8 Knards are kicking ass and roll real nice. Nexties next.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    Had the shop put it on when I bought my BB in December. Didn't need suspension over the winter but now looking forward to summer riding with new wheels, Mulefut 50s and Chupacabras.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robert.jones View Post
    Had the shop put it on when I bought my BB in December. Didn't need suspension over the winter but now looking forward to summer riding with new wheels, Mulefut 50s and Chupacabras.
    Would be cool to see some pics...

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OddTrickStar View Post

Name:	DSCN1775r.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	988830

Switched the cogs so I can run it 30/22 and leave it there for now. Spins out a bit on the pavement but I can climb and keep up with a group without trouble. First single speed bigger than a BMX cruiser for me. Love it and I don't miss the sound of sand grinding on those thin 10 speed cogs. 4.8 Knards are kicking ass and roll real nice. Nexties next.
    dAmn you i want a ds. If you think 4.8 knards on hundos are kick ass. Try some 3.8's on 65's. Quiver of one. Nice that the group takes mercy on you on the road/flats. Run 30-18 get stronger and drop the group anywhere

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Would be cool to see some pics...
    Wheels should arrive by end of month. I'll mount them and post some pics.

mtbr member
    dAmn you i want a ds. If you think 4.8 knards on hundos are kick ass. Try some 3.8's on 65's. Quiver of one. Nice that the group takes mercy on you on the road/flats. Run 30-18 get stronger and drop the group anywhere
    We ride in deep sand, lots of it. The big tires work well especially as dry as it is right now. I do want to build a set of 65's now that I have the fat fats.

Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-dscn0837r.jpg

Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-dscn1493r.jpg

The 30/18 was a bit tough on my knees. I'll get there. Spinning on the smooth flats can be annoying but a year ago I found myself in the worst shape of my life. I quit smoking right then after 29 years of it and got back on my bike after too many years off. I'm not holding anybody up at this point.

banned
    Sep 2008
    We ride in deep sand, lots of it. The big tires work well especially as dry as it is right now. I do want to build a set of 65's now that I have the fat fats.

Name:	DSCN0837r.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	988857

Name:	DSCN1493r.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	988858

The 30/18 was a bit tough on my knees. I'll get there. Spinning on the smooth flats can be annoying but a year ago I found myself in the worst shape of my life. I quit smoking right then after 29 years of it and got back on my bike after too many years off. I'm not holding anybody up at this point.
    Rite on.

Where's that second pic from? Looks like a bunch of trail i rode on the vinyard today. Similar woods, but the understory was a bit greener.

Build up to the bigger gear. A gear that will force you to ride outta the saddle more which will help strengthen your back, abs, and hamstrings, 3 areas that get completely neglected by sitting and spinning lighter gears thru life. Once you start standing, your knees will more than likely bother you a whole lot less or not at all. And you'll go faster fer sure everywhere.

mtbr member
    Wharton Forest in South Jersey for the second pic. I go hours without seeing or hearing anybody else.

I totally agree with what you say about getting out of the saddle. Old beat up BMXer here.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Ha my last name! Gonna hafta go ride there

Momma wouldnt let me race bmx as a kid as i played ice hockey year round.

Try 30x19. 1 tooth makes a pretty noticeable difference.

mtbr member
    Set mine up tubeless this last weekend with clown shoes and 4.8
    knards, went surprisingly easy. Not sure if I can tell a huge difference in ride quality.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Couple upgrades. Thomson post, Phenom saddle, 23T cog, and maybe my favorite mod, a Jandd front bag filled with peanut m&m's and Pringles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Does anyone have experience with a bluto on the bb? I'm considering a build of a sale of another one of my bikes goes through. I really like the extra squish

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    Does anyone have experience with a bluto on the bb? I'm considering a build of a sale of another one of my bikes goes through. I really like the extra squish
    have you ever ridden with a suspension fork on any of your bikes?

there's your answer

riveting stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Does your bb currently have a bluto?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Does your bb currently have a bluto?
    (rollseyes)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    In the same boat. I tried to look through the salsa face book page but still no dice. As the other member so politely stated, adding squish to your fatty feels like adding it to any other rigid. It does make the fatty your go to ride. I say go for it and post your experience.

banned
    Sep 2008
    get a white one if yer riding a ds. white roolz.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anyone know the weight of the stock wheelset? I'm trying to decide whether to get the new DT wheels or not.

I weighed the rear wheel at 4060g when it was tubed. The Lou tire is probably 1,400g? Tube is 400g. Two cogs and spacers are what, 180g? Rotor is 114g. So around 1,966g? If that is true, then DT would be substantial weight savings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    Anyone know the weight of the stock wheelset? I'm trying to decide whether to get the new DT wheels or not.

I weighed the rear wheel at 4060g when it was tubed. The Lou tire is probably 1,400g? Tube is 400g. Two cogs and spacers are what, 180g? Rotor is 114g. So around 1,966g? If that is true, then DT would be substantial weight savings.
    Just gone tubeless with Jumbo Jim and Clear duct tape. My front wheel with stock rotor and surly strip is 1683g. Back wheel with cassette and rotor 2260g. My Lou with a little bit of dirt were 1530g and 1565g... (Park Tool scale)

Hope this will help you make a decision
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks LewisQC. So looks like probably 1,900g or so. Seems like a worthwhile upgrade especially considering I'd like to go Jumbo Jim's and lose even more g's. I'll keep the stock wheelset and Lou's for winter time.

I was considering 29+ set up as well, but I'm leaning towards staying fat.

mtbr member
    My jumbo Jim are 1277 and 1246g so you should save 1 pound

mtbr member
    I did a few changes on my bike lately:
    Shorter stem (Stylo 75mm)
    Race Face Turbine Cinch
    (Needed a new BB to fit the crank)
    RF NW chainring 26
    Tubeless conversion with Scotch Tough transparent duct tape and 4 ounces of stan per wheel
    Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.8

I was able to lose 3 pounds so my XL is now 32 pounds. Not bad!

Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-photo-1-1.jpg
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Is it possible to put a dingle on a regular freewheel body like the single surly rings go on with the spacers? The dingle has those threads. Or maybe can you instead space out two individual Surly rings?
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    FWIW the dinglespeed Blackborow is built with stainless cogs and spacers on the Salsa 190 freehub.

Dingle cog was developed for those fixed gear hubs with not enough threading for two cogs. You wouldn't want it even if they came splined anyway. Just get two separate cogs, which gives you more flexibility (for gearing).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Dingle cog was developed for those fixed gear hubs with not enough threading for two cogs. You wouldn't want it even if they came splined anyway. Just get two separate cogs, which gives you more flexibility (for gearing).
    Would the Surly singlespeed kit work? It is meant for 1 cog but I presume you'd just take out one of the spacers and replace it with a second cog. Which one? Each spacer seems to be a different size.

That will work, or any others on the market, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/HUB-OR8-SINGLE.../dp/B002PTSD62

I've even used 1.25" PVC pipe in the past with no issues.

You probably need something like a 1.5-3mm spacer between the cogs. Just measure the chainline for your chainrings, then just match it up to the cogs in the back. Pretty easy to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

3-Season Tires

Today I swapped OEM wheels with a pair of Chupacabras on Mulefut 50s laced onto DT Swiss Big Ride hubs.

The Clownshoes and Lous weigh 17.8 lbs, the Mulefuts and Chupas weigh 11.2 lbs tubeless including 5oz each of Orange sealant.

The Chupas are 770mm in diameter and exactly 3 inches wide at 20 psi, and there is 2.5mm clearance between highest tire knob and Bluto fork crown.

They look great and feel great and now it's time to ride!

Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-dsc_0487.jpgSalsa expansion.    Blackborow-dsc_0493.jpg

aka bOb
    It looks very sad you removed its meat

mtbr member
    The Chupas are 770mm in diameter and exactly 3 inches wide at 20 psi, and there is 2.5mm clearance between highest tire knob and Bluto fork crown.
    The 3.0 29+ Knards are 772/773mm diameter so they will just barely fit in a Bluto, maybe need to shave off some tread on a new tire pumped up full. How do Chupas compare to Knards ride-wise?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just returned from my favorite gravel ride. It was rediculus!

On the hills where I needed the 36 tooth sprocket to crawl up and over with Lous, I didn't break a sweat with the 28 and Chupas. What a difference in weight and rolling resistance! After riding wide fat year-round for 4 years I feel like I'm on a new and completely different bike.

Tomorrow I'm headed to the beach at low tide and will play with tire pressure, compare before/after rides.

mtbr member
    Just for fun, ride your fattie through sand for a few days, then jump on a track bike and do a few velodrome laps.

mtbr member

Bb 2016

What do you guys think of 2016 BB? No DS???

Salsa Cycles
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    I like that they are releasing an obvious trail oriented model. If I didn't have the Bucksaw, my BB would have a Bluto, Knards, 1x10, and a dropper. I love this bike!
    Surly Krampus
    Salsa Bucksaw1 4"/B+

mtbr member
    Yeah thats what I tought. I went 1x10 with turbine cinch and jj 4.8 tubeless on mine,So not so far from there built.

I'm curious how much a difference the new carbon fork Will do in weight/performance.
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    On the hills where I needed the 36 tooth sprocket to crawl up and over with Lous, I didn't break a sweat with the 28 and Chupas. What a difference in weight and rolling resistance! After riding wide fat year-round for 4 years I feel like I'm on a new and completely different bike.
    Yup. The magic of 29+. Enjoy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Yeah thats what I tought. I went 1x10 with turbine cinch and jj 4.8 tubeless on mine,So not so far from there built.

I'm curious how much a difference the new carbon fork Will do in weight/performance.
    I'm inclined to keep my aluminum fork with a metal steerer. Still haven't warmed up to carbon steerers.

I've also gone back and forth between 29+ and fat lite, and I'll be staying fat. Full fat is just too much fun compared to my 29+ bike, even on a long 80 mile ride with 12k climbing. The DTS wheels + JJ should do the trick.

mtbr member
    I'm inclined to keep my aluminum fork with a metal steerer. Still haven't warmed up to carbon steerers.

I've also gone back and forth between 29+ and fat lite, and I'll be staying fat. Full fat is just too much fun compared to my 29+ bike, even on a long 80 mile ride with 12k climbing. The DTS wheels + JJ should do the trick.
    I think the steerer is aluminium...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    FYI the new Blackborow GX does not use a carbon steerer.
    "Salsa Bearpaw 150 Carbon fork with aluminum steerer"

Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    What do you guys think of 2016 BB? No DS???

Salsa Cycles
    Glad I picked up a DS already. Still loving it. I'm back to the stock gearing now that my legs got a bit stronger.

I'm wondering if the low gear would get me through the snow when winter gets here.

Glad I picked up a DS already. Still loving it. I'm back to the stock gearing now that my legs got a bit stronger.

I'm wondering if the low gear would get me through the snow when winter gets here.
    Low gear does just fine in the snow. Got me up a 3 mile trail with ~1,400 gain with not many issues. Have fun.

Also, thanks for the info on the carbon fork/alu steerer. Still think my money would be better spent elsewhere, but good to know.

mtbr member
    Low gear does just fine in the snow. Got me up a 3 mile trail with ~1,400 gain with not many issues. Have fun.

Also, thanks for the info on the carbon fork/alu steerer. Still think my money would be better spent elsewhere, but good to know.
    Thanks, good to know. My snow riding was cut short with busted ribs last winter. Researching 5" fatbikes while healing up is what led me to the Bb DS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Salsa expansion.    Blackborow-img_20150811_173505.jpg

Got a pair of Snowshoe 2XL's mounted up, they clear! I have a bunch of clearance pics uploaded to this thread on pages 8 and 9: 26x5.05 XXL

Just an fyi my drivetrain is 1x10. I think chain clearance will be an issue for 2x10 and possibly DS, you guys with those drivetrains are on your own!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Blackborow | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

I still can't get past the graphics. Come on, Salsa!

I loved the Mamasita colors. Remember that? With the Scandium frame - the red that blended into black. That was cool. This is terrible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver View Post
    Blackborow | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

I still can't get past the graphics. Come on, Salsa!

I loved the Mamasita colors. Remember that? With the Scandium frame - the red that blended into black. That was cool. This is terrible.
    2016 colours -----> Salsa Cycles
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    2016 colours -----> Salsa Cycles
    Still with those weird graphics on the top tube. You spend a lot of $$$$ on a bike, and you want it to look cool (even if it rides great).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver View Post
    Still with those weird graphics on the top tube. You spend a lot of $$$$ on a bike, and you want it to look cool (even if it rides great).
    I'd happily pay for and ride either of those graphic schemes.

You can't make everybody happy with a handful of graphic options.

$15 of custom decals would hide the TT graphics if they bug you.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post

Just an fyi my drivetrain is 1x10. I think chain clearance will be an issue for 2x10 and possibly DS, you guys with those drivetrains are on your own!
    Regarding the DS: High gearing will not be an issue. Low gearing should also be fine. Chainline is ~96mm.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Anyone else experience fork flex and the resulting brake rotor rub?

it's only when I'm really ripping it downhill into corners but it's a freaky sound when it happens

I'm surprised that a rigid aluminum fork with a thru axle would have this issue, but not really, I'm well into clydesdale territory and 5" tires have so much grip

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post

it's only when I'm really ripping it downhill into corners but it's a freaky sound when it happens

I'm surprised that a rigid aluminum fork with a thru axle would have this issue, but not really, I'm well into clydesdale territory and 5" tires have so much grip
    Yeah I get a very loud pop out of the fork/axle/hub interface causing the same rub, I think the fork is just a pos!! I can get it to do it while off the bike and just torquing on the handlebars some, it does get a little better when I torque the axle down excessively but still does it. The fork is also to wide for the hub making it a bear to line up when putting the wheel on, crap fork I say!!

Yeah I get a very loud pop out of the fork/axle/hub interface
    Ok, thought mine was defective. Seems like a crap fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

I have the same issue on my FatBoy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I get the same thing when I ride my wife's BB. The front end is very flexy...

Lord Thunderbottom
    Yeah I get a very loud pop out of the fork/axle/hub interface causing the same rub, I think the fork is just a pos!! I can get it to do it while off the bike and just torquing on the handlebars some, it does get a little better when I torque the axle down excessively but still does it. The fork is also to wide for the hub making it a bear to line up when putting the wheel on, crap fork I say!!
    I haven't experienced the pop or the extra wide dropout on mine, but it does flex to the point of needing to re-tighten everything including the headset from time to time

Lord Thunderbottom
    I've heard similar flex issues about the bluto, anyone care to weigh in on that?

Ambassador of Chub
    I haven't experienced the pop or the extra wide dropout on mine, but it does flex to the point of needing to re-tighten everything including the headset from time to time
    Same issue with the headset. I susped the CC 10 is a little under-spec'd as far as a headset for the Bb.

Anyone running an aftermarket fork on their Bb? If so, what?
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Looking at buying this bike but can only find the DS in my size. Some friends are telling me that I will hate single speed and they may be right. Is it a 4 speed? and can I change gears by loosening the dropouts and not removing the wheel all together?
    The other thing I am wondering is can I easily convert a DS to a 10 speed without changing the rear hub and or cranks?

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Looking at buying this bike but can only find the DS in my size. Some friends are telling me that I will hate single speed and they may be right. Is it a 4 speed? and can I change gears by loosening the dropouts and not removing the wheel all together?
    The other thing I am wondering is can I easily convert a DS to a 10 speed without changing the rear hub and or cranks?
    it is actually a 2 speed, you cannot cross chain and retain chainline or proper tension

it's easier to remove the wheel than loosen and re-align the dropouts

here's the list of parts you need for the conversion, if going to 2x10

shifters, derailers, cable/housing, cassette, outer OD chainring (surly SS ring is too wide for 10 speed chain), inner ring if you don't want to run the 26, right side alternator dropout with derailer mounting hole, and the problem solvers front derailer mount for moonlander

FWIW I really enjoyed the dinglespeed setup, but it made group rides a hassle at times, I had plenty of gearing for crawling thru anything but hit some rock solid frozen beach and the guys with gears blew me out no way to pedal fast enough for those fast conditions

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

A friend went dingle speed and then 1x8 or 1x9 with spare parts. He just bought the alternator dropout with the derailer mount. He already had a rear shifter and derailer in the parts bin.

mtbr member
    I'm looking at 2 bikes on sale BB DS $1699 or RM Blizzard with Bluto $1899. I'm leaning hard toward the BB even though the RM has 10 speed with XT, hydraulic brakes and a Bluto fork for only $200 more.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I'm looking at 2 bikes on sale BB DS $1699 or RM Blizzard with Bluto $1899. I'm leaning hard toward the BB even though the RM has 10 speed with XT, hydraulic brakes and a Bluto fork for only $200 more.
    downside of the blizzard is that even though it's 150/190 spaced it does not take 5" tires on 100mm rims

mtbr member
    Exactly! Thats what's heavily swaying me towards the BlackBorow.
    The only reason I'm even looking at the RM is my obsession with Bang for the Buck.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast