Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Fat tastic bike! It does bug me that these guys produce such innovative and well thought out bikes, yet limit the dang thing to 3.8" tires. what's so hard about going with a full 4" tire spec on an innovative new release like this bucksaw!!!! 4" is so much better for the broadest riding conditions, yet would still allow one to run skinner tires if desired. I just don't get it... Still, I want one!

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalBikeman View Post
    Fat tastic bike! It does bug me that these guys produce such innovative and well thought out bikes, yet limit the dang thing to 3.8" tires. what's so hard about going with a full 4" tire spec on an innovative new release like this bucksaw!!!! 4" is so much better for the broadest riding conditions, yet would still allow one to run skinner tires if desired. I just don't get it... Still, I want one!
    Dude if it will fit a Nate 3.8 it will fit any 4.0 tire out right now.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalBikeman View Post
    3.8" is 4". It's just labeling. Unless you are referring to the 5" tires such as Bud and Lou, which don't make sense at all for a full suspension bike, being even slower than the already pretty slow 4" tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    (Edit: Oops! Wrong thread! Didn't plan to resurrect this one :P)

Interesting thread! I've ordered a stock Bucksaw 1, and although weight saving isn't critical, I've seen two quick wins. First off I'll replace the saddle with a lighter (and prettier) Selle Italia SLR XC I've got stashed away. Second, I plan to try to convert the stock wheels to tubeless using this technique:

I'm thinking about switching out the Nate tyres as well, since I find the rubber compound in these to be too hard for wet roots and rock, both of which we have in plenty supply here in Norway. Vee Rubber's fat tyres with silicone rubber are clear candidates. Possibly the 4.25" marked H-Billie, depending on actual rear tyre clearance on the Bucksaw: H-Billie | VEE Tire Co.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    New details on the Salsa blog! Including geometry.

Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Right on! Thanks, asollie.

Loser
    That is a masterful piece of marketing right there. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. Prior to reading this I was thinking, eh FS fatty who needs it. After reading it, wow it sounds like I NEED that bike, what am I missing by not having that bike in my quiver!?!?!
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    That is a masterful piece of marketing right there. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. Prior to reading this I was thinking, eh FS fatty who needs it. After reading it, wow it sounds like I NEED that bike, what am I missing by not having that bike in my quiver!?!?!
    Once can never have to many Bikes in his quiver..
    Trek Equinox 9.9 TTL, Trek Madone 6.9 Project One, Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Fuel 9.0, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9,BGXX1

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Got to see the Bucksaw in action yesterday at Snowbasin. The Valhelga tires are amazing! The QBP and 45nrth guys were super cool. Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-20140720_103014.jpg  

mtbr member
    I think this is a great advancement for the fat cause. Let me know when this thing grows up into a full fat bike. I already have a full suspension mnt bike with semi fat tires that will rip that thing a new one. Don't get me wrong, I do think it's way cool but I'm in it for the fat stuff. Biggest tire, biggest rim! I'm sure the production model will show up by next year. I ride mostly rock gardens at speed on my 9-0-7, Lefty, Bud/GC or Lou on Shoes. It's great but I need a little help in the back. Going down to a 3.8 tire on 80mm rims is too much like my 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    I think this is a great advancement for the fat cause. Let me know when this thing grows up into a full fat bike. I already have a full suspension mnt bike with semi fat tires that will rip that thing a new one. Don't get me wrong, I do think it's way cool but I'm in it for the fat stuff. Biggest tire, biggest rim! I'm sure the production model will show up by next year. I ride mostly rock gardens at speed on my 9-0-7, Lefty, Bud/GC or Lou on Shoes. It's great but I need a little help in the back. Going down to a 3.8 tire on 80mm rims is too much like my 29er.
    If your semi fat will rip a bucksaw a new one, it will rip a 5" tire version an even bigger new one. As mentioned in the bucksaw literature Salsa has put out, there is a reason they designed it around 4"/65mm. It's a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    If your semi fat will rip a bucksaw a new one, it will rip a 5" tire version an even bigger new one.
    You missed my point! Maybe I did a poor job of stating it. I already have a very fast full suspension bike with nobby tires. I don't need or want another. I am interested in obtaining a full fat full suspension bike.
    No doubt this bike is great but It's not different enough from my other full suspension bike to count.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You missed my point! Maybe I did a poor job of stating it. I already have a very fast full suspension bike with nobby tires. I don't need or want another. I am interested in obtaining a full fat full suspension bike.
    No doubt this bike is great but It's not different enough from my other full suspension bike to count.
    The bucksaw sounds like a purpose built machine and you're looking for more of a novelty.

mtbr member
    No, same purpose, fast trail riding. I just like it on big tires and rims. There is no right or wrong here. I'm just saying that's what I prefer and I hope they will build one soon.
    Don't forget, I said I like the bike!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well, the bluto is 5"/100mm compatible, so you could have your big tire up front at least. And 4"/82mm out back isn't exactly skinny now, especially when under an FS frame. You wouldnt be too far off from what you're looking for. A big, gnarly tire up front coupled with a lighter and faster rolling tire out back has been a very popular trend for fast trail bikes in the past, so you may be pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Well, the bluto is 5"/100mm compatible, so you could have your big tire up front at least. And 4"/82mm out back isn't exactly skinny now, especially when under an FS frame. You wouldnt be too far off from what you're looking for. A big, gnarly tire up front coupled with a lighter and faster rolling tire out back has been a very popular trend for fast trail bikes in the past, so you may be pleasantly surprised.
    Right now the only offering is the Carver Trans Fat. It's not production. You have to order a frame and they make it with any dimensions you want. It can take Lou on a Shoe. I wouldn't need the bluto cause I love my Lefty. The draw back is the frame and shock is $3000.

Sorry! Got off topic there. Carry on!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was riding some pretty rocky trails at 9mile the other day on my 9zero7 (rigid w/ hudu & Knard on RD...sooo last year, I know!!) and was really thinking a bucksaw would be such a awesome bike to have on terrain I was riding. But I still had a blast on my old school rigid.

I don't see any reason that a fully fatty couldn't be a 'one-bike-solution'. The only thing I would be nervous about is having a backup bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I don't see any reason that a fully fatty couldn't be a 'one-bike-solution'. The only thing I would be nervous about is having a backup bike.
    Have you seen my garage? No worries!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry Trekmogul. All I remember is pvc and lefties.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Sorry Trekmogul. All I remember is pvc and lefties.
    Your secret is out!
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

ouch....
    This is great to see some actual geometry details.... Looks like the lefty max is going to fit it pretty nicely...
    Riding.....

After seeing the geometries and talking to the fitter at my shop, I'm going to stick with a medium. Salsa thinks I'd be between a small and a medium based on my height, but there's no way in hell that's gonna happen. Not with my gorilla arms. On just about every other mtb out there, I'm between a medium and a large. I just wish I could find a geometry chart for the old mtb I currently ride for comparison purposes. Finding geometry charts for 11yr old bikes is tough.

Loved reading about the design considerations and the logic they used for some of the decisions they made for this bike. Definitely a "one bike to do it all" sort of thing, which works well for me. I'm thinking I'm going to turn my old FS into a steel HT as a 2nd bike. Frame age is really what's convincing me to buy something new at this point. So I'm thinking I'll just strip the old FS frame and sell it off, then keep the parts to put on a HT frame. It'll give me a second bike to use in case the Bucksaw is out of commission for service.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    watching........

rog

Hooligan
    I Don't trust carbon stays.
    this is what happened the last time i road a bike with carbon stays:

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-jamis.jpg

I hope they come out with a cheaper version with AL everything further down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Buy used, be happy with what you got, ride more.

ouch....
    Let me guess, just riding along.......*bam crack!*

That is what frame warranty is for. The only FS rear triangle I've cracked was a '03 trek liquid, the aluminum chainstay cracked......funny the carbon seatstay held up just fine. Trek sent me a shiny '10 replacement.

Looks like MTBR has some more info:
    First Look: Salsa Bucksaw full suspension fat bike | Mountain Bike Review
    Riding.....

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast