Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    All fat, all the time.
    ^^
    A couple weeks!?!.....get on it! Finish that bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    I may be in the minority, but since buying my Ibis Mojo in 2008, and realizing the magic that Dave Weagle builds into his suspension design, I have to comment on the folks wanting to try different size rims, different size tires, etc. I made the mistake of buying a different FS design, rode it for a year and sold it, swearing that I would never ride anything without the DW name on it.

Because of that, and because I know Dave put careful attention into the wheel rim size, the tire pressure, the tire profile, I for one will only run the 65mm rims with 4" tires. This isn't a snow bike, it's not a XC racer...it's an all mountain fat bike. It's a new breed, Dave and Salsa worked hard on it, and from what I'm hearing from my buddy riding his, they NAILED it. It ain't broke, so don't try and fix it, just hope you're lucky enough to get one and go ride it.
    With no disrespect to you whatsover, hugecgar, I ^^^Totally agree with this. When I was thinking about building one up, I went to a Salsa demo event that came through town and when I said I intended to use 80mm rims, I was STRONGLY encouraged to reconsider, because the 65mm width was pretty integral to the overall intended performance/behavior of the bike. I ended up buying a complete BS, so I got 65's by default, and at this point I want to put a lot of time on these wheels, and this bike, so that I can learn about and get used to this "new breed" before I start deviating too much from what I consider to be a fairly critical design parameter.

YMMV and probably will, which is great, since creativity and invention is the heart of fatbike evolution. In contrast, some serious development effort has been put into the BS, which I also respect. So there's that . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I will be running 47mm TrialTech trials rims on my BS with Salsa hubs. Wheels are built, but my frame is not in yet... That said, I already have plans to build a set of Nextie/i9 wheels either in the fall or early next year. That way I can run two sets of tires/rims for different trail conditions. :-) With all the $$ required to build up a BS, I went with the cheap set of wheels first. I will probably make the 47mm rims dry condition/bike path wheels - with some V8 or similar low rolling resistance tires and have the Nextie set for normal trails with H-Billie/snowshoe or Nate/H-billie combo.

:-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spovegas View Post
    With no disrespect to you whatsover, hugecgar, I ^^^Totally agree with this. When I was thinking about building one up, I went to a Salsa demo event that came through town and when I said I intended to use 80mm rims, I was STRONGLY encouraged to reconsider, because the 65mm width was pretty integral to the overall intended performance/behavior of the bike. I ended up buying a complete BS, so I got 65's by default, and at this point I want to put a lot of time on these wheels, and this bike, so that I can learn about and get used to this "new breed" before I start deviating too much from what I consider to be a fairly critical design parameter.

YMMV and probably will, which is great, since creativity and invention is the heart of fatbike evolution. In contrast, some serious development effort has been put into the BS, which I also respect. So there's that . . .

"To mitigate auto-steer in Bucksaw, the formula was simple: Use the narrowest and smallest fatbike tire size to keep the tire profile as round as possible, and at as high a pressure as possible, while still maintaining the benefits and feel of the fatbike concept. We find this sweet spot to be a 4” tire mounted on a 50 to 82mm-width rim." Source - Digging deeper into Bucksaw -> Salsa Cycles

From experience I can say my Krampus rides much better with Duallys than it did with the stock Rabbit Holes - Just like most people say in the forums "its like a while new bike". How can you see much value in the Nexties? - I can pick up a set of stans or Duallys for less than what it costs to get one nextie wheel (also very similar in weight, and probably more durable). Its hard not to consider especially the Hugo 52mm as a option when it falls directly in Salsas "sweet spot" for the BS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hugecgar View Post
    "To mitigate auto-steer in Bucksaw, the formula was simple: Use the narrowest and smallest fatbike tire size to keep the tire profile as round as possible, and at as high a pressure as possible, while still maintaining the benefits and feel of the fatbike concept. We find this sweet spot to be a 4” tire mounted on a 50 to 82mm-width rim." Source - Digging deeper into Bucksaw -> Salsa Cycles

From experience I can say my Krampus rides much better with Duallys than it did with the stock Rabbit Holes - Just like most people say in the forums "its like a while new bike". How can you see much value in the Nexties? - I can pick up a set of stans or Duallys for less than what it costs to get one nextie wheel (also very similar in weight, and probably more durable). Its hard not to consider especially the Hugo 52mm as a option when it falls directly in Salsas "sweet spot" for the BS.
    My Trial-Tech rims were only $100 with shipping for the pair, and they came in the anodized red I wanted. Given I built up two other bikes this fall then bought the Bucksaw frame I had to cut some costs. Like the cranks, I am not thrilled with the RF Ride cranks, but for the $85 they cost I will make due.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    My Trial-Tech rims were only $100 with shipping for the pair, and they came in the anodized red I wanted. Given I built up two other bikes this fall then bought the Bucksaw frame I had to cut some costs. Like the cranks, I am not thrilled with the RF Ride cranks, but for the $85 they cost I will make due.

Sorry but rims with cutouts are out for me - IMO, its just more to buy and maintain. after riding cut outs with rim strips for a year then switching to a dually, i can say that i see no benefit to running a wheel with cut outs and rim strips. More weight and more things that can fail. I know ur on a budget but that is probably the last rim I would consider, it's out of Salsa spec and it has cutouts, plus putting a 50 dollar rim on a 5k bike just does not seem right. I really appreciate ur feed back though, thanks for sharing your experience and setup! If you have a picture of the tire profile with the 47 I would LOVE to see it - Also a pic of the tire clearance on each side of the BS frame would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New question here.

Back to the original question - Anyone have pictures of Velocity Duallys or Stans Hugo rims on a Bucksaw yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sorry but rims with cutouts are out for me - IMO, its just more to buy and maintain. after riding cut outs with rim strips for a year then switching to a dually, i can say that i see no benefit to running a wheel with cut outs and rim strips. More weight and more things that can fail. I know ur on a budget but that is probably the last rim I would consider, it's out of Salsa spec and it has cutouts, plus putting a 50 dollar rim on a 5k bike just does not seem right. I really appreciate ur feed back though, thanks for sharing your experience and setup! If you have a picture of the tire profile with the 47 I would LOVE to see it - Also a pic of the tire clearance on each side of the BS frame would be awesome.
    Ah, I like the cutouts - I am a fan of custom rim strips (not the heavy stock Surly strips). I doubt you can tell the difference looking at or riding a 47mm rim vs the 52mm Hugo rims. The dually rims are only 45mm, so mine are right between the two in size. The TrialTech rims also only weigh 565g each, so they are lighter than the Hugo or Dually and are cheaper (and proven strong by tons of Trials experience). My goal with this build was to build a bike with a better spec than a BS2 while being cheaper. I am only about $100 over the cost of a BS2 while having a bike that is close to a BS1 spec, and lighter than either of the factory builds (I am using carbon bars and seatpost, lighter rims, ti railed saddle). Should be a fun bike, but I do plan on eventually upgrading the cranks (Next SL?) and the rims. Possibly adding a dropper post, but where I ride (Midwest flatness) there really isn't much of a need. I probably could have stayed on budget if I didn't have to get two sets of ODI grips to get the grip/lock ring colors I wanted and the vanity of the Jagwire colored shifter/brake cables/hoses. My bike will be a 3 season bike as I already have a Bluto equipped 5" bike with Bud/Lou for winter running 2x10. Need that granny gear for the snow.

since 4/10/2009

I went Nextie 65's for a couple of reasons. 1 was ease of tubeless setup. When I bought mine, the Hugos were not quite available yet, and I wanted a little wider, besides. Yes, the BS has an optimal range of 50-82mm, but 65 is square in the middle of that, and what the bike comes with. I wanted to be as close to that as possible and I wasn't going to wait for the rumored wider Hugo. Secondary was the weight savings of the Nexties compared to most of the available alu options. no, the Nexties aren't as light as the HED rims, but they're also about half the cost. so there's that.

as for the original question about using Duallys or Hugos with the Bucksaw, I think you need to look outside simply Bucksaw riders for input. The slightly narrower rim will round out the tire profile a bit more than a 65. That will help with cornering, but may mean you'll need to run a little higher pressure to avoid tire squirm. I would look at any fat bike rider who used wheels with Dually or Hugo rims with 4" tires. I have a friend who rode a wheelset with Duallys on his Mukluk for a summer wheelset this past year. He didn't detail why, but he said he didn't like it. He uses the stock wheels (Darryls) as a winter wheelset. He's thinking about building a 65mm set, possibly Nexties, for summer wheels for the next year, esp after seeing mine.

mtbr member
    My 65mm nexties shipped this week. Tune Fat-King/Kong hubs coming next month.

Rear wheel will fit my Mukluk until carbon bucksaw is delivered somewhere in May ...

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTVdevil View Post

Rear wheel will fit my Mukluk until carbon bucksaw is delivered somewhere in May ...
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTVdevil View Post

Let me know what the order date was and when you receive them, thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

I'm curious too. Just placed a rim order today, hoping to get it in before their holiday slowdown.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Would anyone be up for measuring the bb height of their bucksaw?

Ground to center of crank spindle, with bike vertical. State your rims and tires since these obviously affect the height.

Thanks!

rmb
    mtbr member
    It looks to be right at 13.5 inches with stock rims and Vanhelgas (no sag.)

Rohloff
    13.5 with stock Marge Lite w/ Nates.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Cool thanks.

mtbr member

Re: Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

I'm curious, TNT website already gives an expected delivery-date for the 26th. (Did a check and their hub is here Belgium... Convenient

Sent from my SM-T905 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HDTVdevil; 01-24-2015 at 02:15 PM.

bikeboatbrewski
    Looks like the maxle lite axle on my bluto is fakd, taking it back to the shop to fix it.

Went to mount up my Dillingers and can not get the front wheel off, glad I did not have a flat in the middle of nowhere.

mtbr member

Re: Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

Ordered on thre19th and received confirmation they would go in production the next day.
    Shipped on the 21th (they first ship ChinaPost to HK, then TNT-Express from HK) and arrived/left TNT on the 23rd.
    Delivered on 26th.

So 1 week.

mtbr member
    Unpacked them today. They look nice. Can't wait for the hubs to arrive si i can lace them abd put the vanhelgas tubeless on them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Bucksaw 1 Build - Stans Hugo - Surly Knard - Hope Fatsno
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-rsz_fullsizerender-2_-_version_2.jpg  

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-rsz_img_2763.jpg  

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-rsz_img_2758.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone have experience with sizing between L and XL on the Bucksaw yet? Website says 6'3" and over for XL. I'm 6'2", 34 inseam, longish arms. Almost every bike I have had has been XL - recently mostly various Santa Cruz models. I intend to have this bike in a quiver and use it for rocky, sandy, snowy trail riding and some lift served park riding. It looks like the top tube lengths of the other bikes I own are all around 25". The L Bucksaw is 24.8" and the XL is 25.6". I guess my gut would be to go smaller on the basis of the intended use being a bit more on the aggressive side? Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated!

since 4/10/2009
    Fitters are paying more attention to reach and stack measurements on bike frames these days.

As for me, I found the Salsa sizing chart to run small. Way small. Salsa's chart suggested I was on the edge between small/med. On some bikes, I am comfortable riding larges, though that doesn't give me much room for tossing the bike around. For example, I rode a large Mukluk and felt good on it if all I was doing was seated riding.

In the end, I chose a medium, which is the same size I tend to choose for all my mtb's. Big enough that I don't feel cramped, but small enough that I can move around above the bike in technical terrain.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456