Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Seems to be a great bike. I would like to see the following as stock items on the bike for 2016.

Clownshoes
    Bud and Lou
    Remote lockout for the front and rear suspension

29er
    Apr 2010
    Did u read the thread ?

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    Did u read the thread ?
    "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

since 4/10/2009
    Obviously not. A bike that fits clownshoes and bud/lou would be a different bike, not the Bucksaw.

A remote lockout might be nice, but I never lock out the suspension on my FS now, so I doubt I'd use one even if I had it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I understood that it wouldn't work, just hoping for a change. Never had a full suspension before, just a hardtail. Could live with a Blackborow and add a Bluto.

since 4/10/2009

Re: Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by impalapower View Post
    I understood that it wouldn't work, just hoping for a change. Never had a full suspension before, just a hardtail. Could live with a Blackborow and add a Bluto.
    It isn't just that it wouldn't work. Salsa DESIGNED the bike to be exactly what it is. Read salsa's articles about it and they explain why.

What you want is a different bike that currently only exists as a custom bike. The Bucksaw is awesome as it is and sounds like it does what it is designed to do very well. Maybe someone will develop the bike you want as a production bike. Otherwise go custom.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Otherwise go custom.
    Yeah I went custom and I guarantee it won't be outdated for another month and a half, I hope

banned
    Sep 2008
    getting warmer.......

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I understood the writeups, I should have said "build a bike like the Bucksaw with 100 mm and 5" with lockouts." I explained wrongly, no big deal. Waited this long for A fatbike, longer won't kill me. Besides, its too hot outside to ride.

29er
    Apr 2010
    Read the mtbr review, there is a very good reason why it doesn't have 5" tires

Sup
    now I have to read
    life is too hard sometimes
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    LBS will have a demo Bucksaw tomorrow... I will have to miss work due to my fat bike fever (FBF)!

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    Read the mtbr review, there is a very good reason why it doesn't have 5" tires
    I'm sure they are re-tuning the suspension as we speak! Full suspension for every one by next year no matter what size tire you run!

PCT
    Enthusiast
    Jun 2009
    Lefty Max Alloy 26er 140? or Lefty Max Carbon 29er 130 with bonded clamps removed? ...at least until we get some new supermax fat clamps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    This is great to see some actual geometry details.... Looks like the lefty max is going to fit it pretty nicely...

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    I'm sure they are re-tuning the suspension as we speak! Full suspension for every one by next year no matter what size tire you run!
    They will make it, cuz ppl will buy it
    But I do think 4" is better for a trail bike

All fat, all the time.
    Just lefty max 140 spv, nothing new fancy with bonded clamps...

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyP View Post
    Lefty Max Alloy 26er 140? or Lefty Max Carbon 29er 130 with bonded clamps removed? ...at least until we get some new supermax fat clamps

mtbr member
    Just saw these. Didn't see them mentioned anywhere else. Apologies if repost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlAneDVtVUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKfoY5Sh2sc

Loser
    Notice in the first video they say something along the lines of "this is a mountain bike, not a snow or sand bike", interesting.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Notice in the first video they say something along the lines of "this is a mountain bike, not a snow or sand bike", interesting.
    I take that to mean that this bike is good for a wide variety of conditions, not just snow or sand. AND, that because there are upper limits on tire/rim size, that other bikes are better if a snow/sand bike is primarily what is desired.

I'm ordering one of these because it's a mountain bike that happens to take fatter tires. It will be replacing an aging FS mtb as my primary mtb. Those fatter tires will give me a little bit more flexibility for winter riding and rocky trails where I want more traction. Snow conditions where I live very rarely warrant an actual snow bike.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    I know someone who did that exact same thing and his wife never realized it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I bet if I painted it the same color as a previous bike she would never know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    "this is no mumbo-jumbo, this is real stuff."

Lol. Love it!

mtbr member
    Did I see a spoke protector on the orange bucksaw in the first video?

mtbr member
    After getting a demo ride on a Bucksaw today I will concur with Dirt Rags review. The bike was well balanced and the Split Pivot is a great match for the Bluto fork. It simply felt like a good MTB that provided plenty of traction. The only drawback was the extra energy needed to move those tires.

The Bucksaw is the first "fat" bike I have enjoyed riding fast. To be fair, all other examples of "fat" I have ridden previously were rigid bikes shod with 80mm rims. I think the narrower rims are essential to make this bike work well for trail riding. So on what types of trail do I think the Bucksaw would shine? Places that have a mix of rock and loose sand in the trails.

Overall I am impressed with the Bucksaw but I cannot say I would rather ride this than my current FS bike in the Western US. If I really needed the big wheels and FS, I would be all over it.

PS: I also got to ride a Mukluk with the Bluto fork up front. For a low maintenance rig to be ridden in adverse conditions it could potentially fit into the quiver.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah it sure is comfy (on many levels) going fast isn't it. I have the Nates on another bike and haven't been able to fall in love with them so I think that's where you and I get the feeling of working too hard on this bike. Some easier rolling rubber and it should absolutely shine.

For it to be the quiver killer for me the only difference is it needs to be able to go closer to 5" tires because I love winter riding and we have hundreds of miles of open to bikes beaches within a few hours drive of home. I've been buzzing ever since I rode it...

since 4/10/2009
    I have ridden Nates on other bikes, and agree that they are beasts in smooth stuff. They do shine when the terrain requires more bite, though. Which is why I'll ride them in the cold season, but will find some lighter, faster rubber for next summer.

mtbr member

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

I rode the XX1 BuckSaw at Tahoe XC Salsa demo on Monday. I own a 2013 mukluk 3 which is my only steed by choice. So weight-wise it felt identical @~33 lbs. I was very impressed with split-pivot design, I couldn't make it "bob" sitting or hammering. I didn't get a chance to ride it over gnar but hope that's where it will shine. After riding full rigid for 18 months now, it just feels real inefficient to be on anything with suspension anymore. The recommended tire pressure for buck is 10 to 12 psi and that really changes the whole fat "feel" for me since I ride 6 to 8 psi during the summer. I do "get" why Salsa wants you to run that psi since the suspension now soaks up the little stuff. Overall, as an exclusive year-round fat rider, I give it a B+. I can't get pass the fact that my $1700 muk3 tubeless and holed out, weighs the same as the $5000 bucksaw.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmattcor View Post
    I can't get pass the fact that my $1700 muk3 tubeless and holed out, weighs the same as the $5000 bucksaw.
    thats suss for ya. i considered the event but work wouldn't allow me any fun time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I see the Bucksaw as the missing link in the fat bike family. I love my Fatback, fully rigid, for riding on the snow. Even our most rugged trails in the Northeast smooth out pretty nicely with a foot of snowpack. In the summer I ride my Krampus with front suspension, but any hardtail takes a beating on the rocks and roots of our more technical trails. That's where the Bucksaw will come in, so I'm eagerly awaiting the first shipment. I turn 50 in September, there's my bday present. I miss my Ibis Mojo, but tiny tires don't have any appeal to me anymore.

I plan on having a hardtail with a few different wheelsets, and the Bucksaw. That should get me through all four seasons here in NY, and I can live happily for a year or two. With the Spearfish and Horsethief going to full carbon frames for 2015, you know the Bucksaw isn't far behind.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Skinny wheels, yeah. Same here. Was out riding around on one of the latest greatest 650b 140 travel 'wonder' bikes with all the right angles and just couldn't take the bike seriously while I stared down at a 2.3 inch tire.

If I go any bit of suss I'm goin all the way with full suss. Bucksaw.

rog

mtbr member

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

So the recommended Bucksaw tire is 10 to 12. I ride ST on my Moonlander at 5psi. I like the way BFL's contour to the trail. Why wouldn't you want lower pressure in a Bucksaw for the same reason?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    So the recommended Bucksaw tire is 10 to 12. I ride ST on my Moonlander at 5psi. I like the way BFL's contour to the trail. Why wouldn't you want lower pressure in a Bucksaw for the same reason?
    autosteer at speed, and the general axiom that narrower tires/rims get higher pressures. When I get mine, I fully intend to play around with tire pressure to find the right balance between predictable handling and traction for me.
    Last edited by Harold; 08-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.

aka bOb
    It has suspension so why not let it use it, trust me it does a much better job at it than tires do.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    For me, riding & racing at speed, 12-15 psi is my happy place. i get a little more beaten up, but the upshot is increased lateral stability from the tires while cornering. Anything below 12 psi and i don't feel as confident cornering, as i can feel the sidewalls deforming and the tires squirming. Riding in the snow is a different matter, when speeds are lower and traction is all that matters, but on dirt, i've found that a higher pressure is preferable.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Point your fatty down hill at those pressures and you'll have your answer. No point in suspension if the tires are going to override the suspension's job. That'd be my guess anyway
    you's a pretty schmart feller i rekon.

All fat, all the time.
    The tires will contour the trail with suspension.
    No need to go that low if you have squish, or you just turned it into a marshmallow

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    The tires will contour the trail with suspension.
    No need to go that low if you have squish, or you just turned it into a marshmallow
    one can make smores then.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    one can make smores then.
    Never could get the taste for em, like graham, like marshmallows, and really love chocolate but put em all together and big time ucky!!

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen what inner tubes the BS will be delivered with? The 3.0"-4.0" Surly "light" tubes are over 400g per wheel, so if it's these there's quite a bit of weight to save by going tubeless (or switching tubes). What do the other Salsa fat bikes come equipped with?

banned
    Sep 2008
    i believe the surly lites are more like 310 grams each and the regular surlys over 400 grams.

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Old Spokes Home in Burlington VT has pix of my Bucksaw posted today on their facebook page. Ships to me next week- I'm looking forward to it, of coarse! My Fatboy got shipped up to Haines AK to enjoy life in its element.

mtbr member
    Loving it so far! The Nates have a ton of grip and the suspension keeps the tires planted. Was planning to mount Husker Du's but with snow already on the ground that will have to wait until spring.

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-p1020928.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Where are the bucksaws? Did they actually start shipping to dealers November 10? Seems like they should be at dealers by now. What sort of allotments are shops seeing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For you frameset buyers, I was informed by shop who contacted Rep that the Salsa Split Pivot Top Cap Dropout Tool is in fact NOT included with the frameset. Misprint on their website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Framesets have started showing up. My LBS got one in (not mine, the LBS owner) - he put his order in two weeks before I did so he made the first shipment. Mine is Dec or Jan but given the first lot was scheduled for late Oct early Nov I am betting on Feb. :-)

mtbr member
    Just picked mine up! Only thing that sucks is that I live in Chicago, and I don't want to mess it up by riding it here. Good news is that I'm moving to Austin, Tx soon and I can start riding it there not too long from now.

When you buy a Salsa here they give you some chips and Salsa... lol
    Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw02.jpg

Quality of the pictures best I could do with my cell phone!

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw01.jpgSalsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw04.jpgSalsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw05.jpgSalsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw06.jpg
    Ridley Helium // Ribble Sportive Racing // Giant STP 1 // Wraith Paycheck // Wraith Hustle // Salsa Bucksaw

since 4/10/2009

Re: Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Where are the bucksaws? Did they actually start shipping to dealers November 10? Seems like they should be at dealers by now. What sort of allotments are shops seeing?
    A few are showing up. It seems europeans got theirs a few days sooner. Assuming mine is still on the first shipment, it will probably be at the tail end since I purchased mine with ep pricing.

The fat bike group on facebook has more pics than we have seen here. There is a sweet blue/pink/polished alu one on there.

There is no allotment really. Just whatever a shop managed to order. Some banked on this bike and got floor stock. Others are only getting a couple special order bikes. Some shops only have bikes coming on the next two shipments in the next several months. Many probably won't see one at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New question here.

Anyone have pictures of Velocity Duallys or Stans Hugo rims on a Bucksaw yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hugecgar View Post
    Anyone have pictures of Velocity Duallys or Stans Hugo rims on a Bucksaw yet?
    I may be in the minority, but since buying my Ibis Mojo in 2008, and realizing the magic that Dave Weagle builds into his suspension design, I have to comment on the folks wanting to try different size rims, different size tires, etc. I made the mistake of buying a different FS design, rode it for a year and sold it, swearing that I would never ride anything without the DW name on it.

Because of that, and because I know Dave put careful attention into the wheel rim size, the tire pressure, the tire profile, I for one will only run the 65mm rims with 4" tires. This isn't a snow bike, it's not a XC racer...it's an all mountain fat bike. It's a new breed, Dave and Salsa worked hard on it, and from what I'm hearing from my buddy riding his, they NAILED it. It ain't broke, so don't try and fix it, just hope you're lucky enough to get one and go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    I may be in the minority, but since buying my Ibis Mojo in 2008, and realizing the magic that Dave Weagle builds into his suspension design, I have to comment on the folks wanting to try different size rims, different size tires, etc. I made the mistake of buying a different FS design, rode it for a year and sold it, swearing that I would never ride anything without the DW name on it.

Because of that, and because I know Dave put careful attention into the wheel rim size, the tire pressure, the tire profile, I for one will only run the 65mm rims with 4" tires. This isn't a snow bike, it's not a XC racer...it's an all mountain fat bike. It's a new breed, Dave and Salsa worked hard on it, and from what I'm hearing from my buddy riding his, they NAILED it. It ain't broke, so don't try and fix it, just hope you're lucky enough to get one and go ride it.

I appreciate your input on this - feedback is exactly what I'm looking for. I already have a Bucksaw 1 frame that purchased a couple weeks ago. Once I have it set up I will be sure to post how it rides and the wheel width i chose. Much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-img_2610.jpg  

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast