Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    aka bOb
    Ok now ya all got me thinking about it.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    How do you expect them to get 17" of chainstay length with 26" rims, 3.8" tires, and a suspension pivot in there?
    It can be done, there's room, I've taken measurements.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hopefully the CS is closer to 17.5", that's a lot better. It's still possible to get as short as 16.5" CS though on a fat full sus with a bent seat post and a 120 mm BB. Takes a little creativity with the CS/swing arm design but it can be done. I'm planning on making such a frame soon.

mtbr member
    I was all set to buy a Horesthief and now this happens. Not available until Sept? Oh, the horror!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sooo, in the evolution of bike ownership, would it be wrong to skip over ever owning a full suspension bike and skip right to a full squish fatty?

My Banshee PRIME literally just showed up at my front door. Maybe I will try to squeeze a dually and Dirt Wizard back there to curb my lust?

Now where the **** did I put that damn credit card?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Sooo, in the evolution of bike ownership, would it be wrong to skip over ever owning a full suspension bike and skip right to a full squish fatty?

My Banshee PRIME literally just showed up at my front door. Maybe I will try to squeeze a dually and Dirt Wizard back there to curb my lust?

Now where the **** did I put that damn credit card?
    In my opinion not wrong at all.I am pumped about this bike and what else it will inspire other manufacturers to develop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

gone walk about

I would have had they been avail 2yrs ago, however it's clear the time is now and what's to come.

mtbr member

I'd ride the Prime for 1 year and see what happens in the FS fatty world. This is a pretty novel product so significant refinements are likely.

If the Bluto sells well I expect a 34/35mm fat fork to hit the market for added stiffness.

A year of feedback from customers will give DW/Salsa some ideas for improvements to the fat SP implementation.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Pretty impressive for full suspension, right out of the box, size large, with pedals!

" I was however utterly baffled by the lack of heft. With pedals, my large test bike barely broke the thirty pound mark."

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    Wow, Bucksaw, Rock Shox Bluto and new SRAM brake review all in one, its like Christmas in April.

All fat, all the time.
    From the Salsa blog......

"Kid Riemer | April 22nd, 2014
    Shark - Frame Only MSRP for USA will be $1899. Frame Only will come with Rear Shock, Seat Collar, and Rear Maxle. -Kid"

Going to stop by the bike shop this week and see if I can get my name on one.....maybe sweet talk my way into a gold frame (frame only supposed to be blue)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    From the Salsa blog......

"Kid Riemer | April 22nd, 2014
    Shark - Frame Only MSRP for USA will be $1899. Frame Only will come with Rear Shock, Seat Collar, and Rear Maxle. -Kid"

Going to stop by the bike shop this week and see if I can get my name on one.....maybe sweet talk my way into a gold frame (frame only supposed to be blue)
    Nice. This is exactly what I'd want if I were to get one. Which I'm not. But I might. But I shouldn't.

Oh, F@#$ it, here's my credit card!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Part of me wants to put a deposit down to get one of the first ones.Another part of me wants to wait to see what other manufacturers do.I do imagine they have this dialed in nicely though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This stupid bike has me brainstorming the feasibility of purchasing one, even as I am about to close on a new house. It occurred to me that I could sell my Bandit 29, and my Pugsley with two wheelsets and Lefty, and I'd not have to outlay a ton of cash.

But then I wouldn't have a FS 140mm 29er and a hardtail fatbike. I would just have the one bike. Which might be cool sometimes, but other times not?
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    But then I wouldn't have a FS 140mm 29er and a hardtail fatbike. I would just have the one bike. Which might be cool sometimes, but other times not?
    Sell the Pugs and keep the Bandit...might have to wait a bit longer to buy the FS Fatty...but they are several months out aren't they?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Fatback and Krampus will both be going this fall to make room for the Bucksaw, I've read all I need to. In DW we trust...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    In DW we trust...
    +1 - he does good work.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

All fat, all the time.
    We waited a long time for you to make us a bunch....

Quote Originally Posted by Look Out Below View Post

gone walk about
    We waited a long time for you to make us a bunch....
    with baited nasty breath too

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Frame Only MSRP for USA will be $1899. Frame Only will come with Rear Shock, Seat Collar, and Rear Maxle.
    Other Salsa FS frames are $1699 with the same DW system. $200 fat tax :thumbdown:

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Other Salsa FS frames are $1699 with the same DW system. $200 fat tax :thumbdown:
    Just can't please some people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here's to hoping it bombs and I can get a closeout next year for $1399-1499.

All fat, all the time.
    This has got to be trolling.....

Should be happy that it's not +$2k. Salsa did their homework, put out what looks to be an amazing product at a price that the average rider can afford.

Their non fat frames probably sell 10x more then the fat.

mtbr member
    Here's to hoping it bombs and I can get a closeout next year for $1399-1499.
    Hopefully it sells like hotcakes bringing more competition into the market
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    +1 - so true! And it's not like the Buzz Saw is an uber niche product that will sell in far smaller quantities than Salsa's FS 29er MTBs resulting in higher per unit costs when you divide the fixed costs for putting out a new model by the anticipated sales volume!

What a SCAM!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's likely that the Bucksaw will sell out when available. There will be more buyers initially than bikes available, I'm betting on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think they'll sell out also but I am still going to try to put some cash down on one!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Of course it will sell out quickly.

I'm not trolling. I honestly don't like the price and will not buy at that point. My Mukluk with Lefty will have to do.
    I believe they will/could sell similar numbers of these as their other FS products. Maybe I'm misinformed but I don't believe that their other FS frames are moving in high volumes either.

It has the same tech as the 2014 products that came out last fall. Wider BB and stays don't amount to $200/frame. If I'm off about the frame tech they need to do a better job selling the features to me because I don't see it.
    Special tooling etc? Same main triangle frame jigs as the other FS models, just swap in different BB. Rear triangle is the same across the size run, again add a couple wider spacers to the jig.

mtbr member
    Of course it will sell out quickly.

I'm not trolling. I honestly don't like the price and will not buy at that point. My Mukluk with Lefty will have to do.
    I believe they will/could sell similar numbers of these as their other FS products. Maybe I'm misinformed but I don't believe that their other FS frames are moving in high volumes either.
    Trying to compare sales of some pretty normal 29er FS bikes and a fatty FS bike doesn't make sense.

There is no way they'll sell the same numbers.

Despite fat bikes growing in popularity they are a tiny segment of the overall mountain bike industry and a FS fatty is the rarest class of beast yet in this niche market segment.

I think coming within $200 of the cost of their standard FS MTB frames is awesome.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

move on up...
    "I think coming within $200 of the cost of their standard FS MTB frames is awesome."

couldn't agree more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Trying to compare sales of some pretty normal 29er FS bikes and a fatty FS bike doesn't make sense.

There is no way they'll sell the same numbers.

Despite fat bikes growing in popularity they are a tiny segment of the overall mountain bike industry and a FS fatty is the rarest class of beast yet in this niche market segment.

I think coming within $200 of the cost of their standard FS MTB frames is awesome.
    First, I don't really care about the extra $200. Surly/Salsa deserve to make as much cash now as possible as the early investers in fat.

But, I would also guess that Salsa would sell as many Bucksaw bikes as their other 29er fs. My reason for thinking this is Market shear. Salsa has a tiny little slice of the massive 29er fs market but (nearly) 100% of the fat fs market

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Bucksaw has carbon seat stays. Those are worth $137.50, so the "fat tax" is only $62.50.
    Also, complete bike pricing seems pretty fair when compared to their other models with similar builds.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Bucksaw has carbon seat stays. Those are worth $137.50, so the "fat tax" is only $62.50.
    Also, complete bike pricing seems pretty fair when compared to their other models with similar builds.
    Not to mention they include the 12mm rear thru axle. Go price one of those & there goes the $62.50 that was left

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbXCgeek View Post
    But, I would also guess that Salsa would sell as many Bucksaw bikes as their other 29er fs. My reason for thinking this is Market share. Salsa has a tiny little slice of the massive 29er fs market but
    That is my thinking too. Not that my experience is all encompassing, but I've yet to see one of their FS in the wild in the Mid-atlantic, in the 15 years I've been riding here. Saw one on craigslist once and another local guy was talking about getting one but was having trouble locating one to test. Not sure he ever got it. Big 3 dominate, Niner is quite popular and I've seen a decent number of Turner, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Ventana, Ellsworth. Never a Salsa. Unless they are booming in other markets I think their share is small to begin with and Buck Saw could easily compete in numbers.
    Carbon seat stays? Interesting. Not sure I follow why you'd need only them on a FS rig.
    But there's the price difference right there.
    Not to mention they include the 12mm rear thru axle. Go price one of those & there goes the $62.50 that was left
    They list their other bikes coming with seat collar and rear axle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Carbon seat stays? Interesting. Not sure I follow why you'd need only them on a FS rig.
    But there's the price difference right there.
    Salsa says "increased stiffness and lighter frame weight". But it may have something to do with achieving the proper shape to clear the tires and wrap around the seat tube to the shock mount.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    when is the last time a company released a frame that was cheaper than last years frame? I don't think it's ever happened. A small "fat tax" for a rare and low-selling frame doesn't seem too crazy. the molds for the carbon swingarm are going to be expensive, and if they worked with DW on it, then add some more cash into the mix.

Still sounds like a super fun bike, no matter how you slice it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm not trolling. I honestly don't like the price and will not buy at that point.
    You are trolling. It's always the guys who cannot afford the item, and in your case cannot utlize the item, that ***** about price and functionality.

Can't afford it...move on....and move on w/o being a douche if possible.

move on up...
    You are trolling. It's always the guys who cannot afford the item, and in your case cannot utlize the item, that ***** about price and functionality.

mtbr member

Maybe you could point it out, but unless just disagreeing and discussing upsets you enough to call someone a douchebag I missed something.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    Maybe you could point it out, but unless just disagreeing and discussing upsets you enough to call someone a douchebag I missed something.
    Even with a mark up of 200$ compared to the Horsethief frame the Bucksaw frame is still a lot cheaper then a Niner, Turner etc
    The rearwheel triangle is quite special with the use of carbon for the seatstays and the mold form can't be used for other models (You don't want that wide stays on a normal 29er).
    So i don't see a problem with the price, as a matter of fact i have told my LBS to get in line for a frame for me

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    You did miss something, and added another. I never called anyone a douchebag, don't put words in my mouth. Not upset, just observant.

mtbr member
    You did miss something, and added another. I never called anyone a douchebag, don't put words in my mouth. Not upset, just observant.
    Ok, so you were saying he was being completely reasonable in discussing why he thought the frame cost more than similar frames, not being a douche, but you thought it was up to you to tell him to get lost and just in case he decided to suddenly start acting like a douchebag out of nowhere, advise him against it? Got it.

All fat, all the time.
    Just in case lol.

Lets get back to the fact that the awesome folks at Salsa gave us a full suspension, production fatbike, with some carbon in the frame, a non inverted fork, for a pretty decent price considering the limited market.

Lets also not forget we now have a reason to build a new bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    want to frame/ fork only !
    - should fit the Krampus 29+ tires for the summer
    - should have more rear clearance
    - replaceable dropouts
    - adapter for Rohlof/Alfine

so it's not prime time yet. as a summer-fat bike only, and not fat enough for winter,
    it does not get full marks. :-(

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Why would you want a Rohloff in a bike with rear suspension?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Because some like both gearhubs and rear suspension.

Yeah, I know it's additional unsprung weight. The same can be said for fat tires and rear suspension.

Different strokes.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Salsa says "increased stiffness and lighter frame weight". But it may have something to do with achieving the proper shape to clear the tires and wrap around the seat tube to the shock mount.
    I'd assume that a general "they" can form nearly any shape from AL at this point. But maybe that stiffness came at a significant weight. Has a total weight been posted? At this point I must have surely missed it, but can't find it on their site either.

What do you mean by cannot utilize? I reread and can't piece together what this comes from.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast