Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Seems to be a great bike. I would like to see the following as stock items on the bike for 2016.

Clownshoes
    Bud and Lou
    Remote lockout for the front and rear suspension

29er
    Apr 2010
    Did u read the thread ?

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    Did u read the thread ?
    "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

since 4/10/2009
    Obviously not. A bike that fits clownshoes and bud/lou would be a different bike, not the Bucksaw.

A remote lockout might be nice, but I never lock out the suspension on my FS now, so I doubt I'd use one even if I had it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I understood that it wouldn't work, just hoping for a change. Never had a full suspension before, just a hardtail. Could live with a Blackborow and add a Bluto.

since 4/10/2009

Re: Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by impalapower View Post
    I understood that it wouldn't work, just hoping for a change. Never had a full suspension before, just a hardtail. Could live with a Blackborow and add a Bluto.
    It isn't just that it wouldn't work. Salsa DESIGNED the bike to be exactly what it is. Read salsa's articles about it and they explain why.

What you want is a different bike that currently only exists as a custom bike. The Bucksaw is awesome as it is and sounds like it does what it is designed to do very well. Maybe someone will develop the bike you want as a production bike. Otherwise go custom.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Otherwise go custom.
    Yeah I went custom and I guarantee it won't be outdated for another month and a half, I hope

banned
    Sep 2008
    getting warmer.......

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I understood the writeups, I should have said "build a bike like the Bucksaw with 100 mm and 5" with lockouts." I explained wrongly, no big deal. Waited this long for A fatbike, longer won't kill me. Besides, its too hot outside to ride.

29er
    Apr 2010
    Read the mtbr review, there is a very good reason why it doesn't have 5" tires

Sup
    now I have to read
    life is too hard sometimes
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    LBS will have a demo Bucksaw tomorrow... I will have to miss work due to my fat bike fever (FBF)!

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    Read the mtbr review, there is a very good reason why it doesn't have 5" tires
    I'm sure they are re-tuning the suspension as we speak! Full suspension for every one by next year no matter what size tire you run!

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Lefty Max Alloy 26er 140? or Lefty Max Carbon 29er 130 with bonded clamps removed? ...at least until we get some new supermax fat clamps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    This is great to see some actual geometry details.... Looks like the lefty max is going to fit it pretty nicely...

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    I'm sure they are re-tuning the suspension as we speak! Full suspension for every one by next year no matter what size tire you run!
    They will make it, cuz ppl will buy it
    But I do think 4" is better for a trail bike

All fat, all the time.
    Just lefty max 140 spv, nothing new fancy with bonded clamps...

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyP View Post
    Lefty Max Alloy 26er 140? or Lefty Max Carbon 29er 130 with bonded clamps removed? ...at least until we get some new supermax fat clamps

mtbr member
    Just saw these. Didn't see them mentioned anywhere else. Apologies if repost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlAneDVtVUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKfoY5Sh2sc

Loser
    Notice in the first video they say something along the lines of "this is a mountain bike, not a snow or sand bike", interesting.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Notice in the first video they say something along the lines of "this is a mountain bike, not a snow or sand bike", interesting.
    I take that to mean that this bike is good for a wide variety of conditions, not just snow or sand. AND, that because there are upper limits on tire/rim size, that other bikes are better if a snow/sand bike is primarily what is desired.

I'm ordering one of these because it's a mountain bike that happens to take fatter tires. It will be replacing an aging FS mtb as my primary mtb. Those fatter tires will give me a little bit more flexibility for winter riding and rocky trails where I want more traction. Snow conditions where I live very rarely warrant an actual snow bike.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    I know someone who did that exact same thing and his wife never realized it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I bet if I painted it the same color as a previous bike she would never know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    "this is no mumbo-jumbo, this is real stuff."

Lol. Love it!

mtbr member
    Did I see a spoke protector on the orange bucksaw in the first video?

mtbr member
    After getting a demo ride on a Bucksaw today I will concur with Dirt Rags review. The bike was well balanced and the Split Pivot is a great match for the Bluto fork. It simply felt like a good MTB that provided plenty of traction. The only drawback was the extra energy needed to move those tires.

The Bucksaw is the first "fat" bike I have enjoyed riding fast. To be fair, all other examples of "fat" I have ridden previously were rigid bikes shod with 80mm rims. I think the narrower rims are essential to make this bike work well for trail riding. So on what types of trail do I think the Bucksaw would shine? Places that have a mix of rock and loose sand in the trails.

Overall I am impressed with the Bucksaw but I cannot say I would rather ride this than my current FS bike in the Western US. If I really needed the big wheels and FS, I would be all over it.

PS: I also got to ride a Mukluk with the Bluto fork up front. For a low maintenance rig to be ridden in adverse conditions it could potentially fit into the quiver.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah it sure is comfy (on many levels) going fast isn't it. I have the Nates on another bike and haven't been able to fall in love with them so I think that's where you and I get the feeling of working too hard on this bike. Some easier rolling rubber and it should absolutely shine.

For it to be the quiver killer for me the only difference is it needs to be able to go closer to 5" tires because I love winter riding and we have hundreds of miles of open to bikes beaches within a few hours drive of home. I've been buzzing ever since I rode it...

since 4/10/2009
    I have ridden Nates on other bikes, and agree that they are beasts in smooth stuff. They do shine when the terrain requires more bite, though. Which is why I'll ride them in the cold season, but will find some lighter, faster rubber for next summer.

mtbr member

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike

I rode the XX1 BuckSaw at Tahoe XC Salsa demo on Monday. I own a 2013 mukluk 3 which is my only steed by choice. So weight-wise it felt identical @~33 lbs. I was very impressed with split-pivot design, I couldn't make it "bob" sitting or hammering. I didn't get a chance to ride it over gnar but hope that's where it will shine. After riding full rigid for 18 months now, it just feels real inefficient to be on anything with suspension anymore. The recommended tire pressure for buck is 10 to 12 psi and that really changes the whole fat "feel" for me since I ride 6 to 8 psi during the summer. I do "get" why Salsa wants you to run that psi since the suspension now soaks up the little stuff. Overall, as an exclusive year-round fat rider, I give it a B+. I can't get pass the fact that my $1700 muk3 tubeless and holed out, weighs the same as the $5000 bucksaw.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmattcor View Post
    I can't get pass the fact that my $1700 muk3 tubeless and holed out, weighs the same as the $5000 bucksaw.
    thats suss for ya. i considered the event but work wouldn't allow me any fun time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I see the Bucksaw as the missing link in the fat bike family. I love my Fatback, fully rigid, for riding on the snow. Even our most rugged trails in the Northeast smooth out pretty nicely with a foot of snowpack. In the summer I ride my Krampus with front suspension, but any hardtail takes a beating on the rocks and roots of our more technical trails. That's where the Bucksaw will come in, so I'm eagerly awaiting the first shipment. I turn 50 in September, there's my bday present. I miss my Ibis Mojo, but tiny tires don't have any appeal to me anymore.

I plan on having a hardtail with a few different wheelsets, and the Bucksaw. That should get me through all four seasons here in NY, and I can live happily for a year or two. With the Spearfish and Horsethief going to full carbon frames for 2015, you know the Bucksaw isn't far behind.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Skinny wheels, yeah. Same here. Was out riding around on one of the latest greatest 650b 140 travel 'wonder' bikes with all the right angles and just couldn't take the bike seriously while I stared down at a 2.3 inch tire.

If I go any bit of suss I'm goin all the way with full suss. Bucksaw.

rog

mtbr member

So the recommended Bucksaw tire is 10 to 12. I ride ST on my Moonlander at 5psi. I like the way BFL's contour to the trail. Why wouldn't you want lower pressure in a Bucksaw for the same reason?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    So the recommended Bucksaw tire is 10 to 12. I ride ST on my Moonlander at 5psi. I like the way BFL's contour to the trail. Why wouldn't you want lower pressure in a Bucksaw for the same reason?
    autosteer at speed, and the general axiom that narrower tires/rims get higher pressures. When I get mine, I fully intend to play around with tire pressure to find the right balance between predictable handling and traction for me.
    Last edited by Harold; 08-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.

aka bOb
    It has suspension so why not let it use it, trust me it does a much better job at it than tires do.

bigger than you.
    For me, riding & racing at speed, 12-15 psi is my happy place. i get a little more beaten up, but the upshot is increased lateral stability from the tires while cornering. Anything below 12 psi and i don't feel as confident cornering, as i can feel the sidewalls deforming and the tires squirming. Riding in the snow is a different matter, when speeds are lower and traction is all that matters, but on dirt, i've found that a higher pressure is preferable.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Point your fatty down hill at those pressures and you'll have your answer. No point in suspension if the tires are going to override the suspension's job. That'd be my guess anyway
    you's a pretty schmart feller i rekon.

All fat, all the time.
    The tires will contour the trail with suspension.
    No need to go that low if you have squish, or you just turned it into a marshmallow

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    The tires will contour the trail with suspension.
    No need to go that low if you have squish, or you just turned it into a marshmallow
    one can make smores then.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    one can make smores then.
    Never could get the taste for em, like graham, like marshmallows, and really love chocolate but put em all together and big time ucky!!

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen what inner tubes the BS will be delivered with? The 3.0"-4.0" Surly "light" tubes are over 400g per wheel, so if it's these there's quite a bit of weight to save by going tubeless (or switching tubes). What do the other Salsa fat bikes come equipped with?

banned
    Sep 2008
    i believe the surly lites are more like 310 grams each and the regular surlys over 400 grams.

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Old Spokes Home in Burlington VT has pix of my Bucksaw posted today on their facebook page. Ships to me next week- I'm looking forward to it, of coarse! My Fatboy got shipped up to Haines AK to enjoy life in its element.

mtbr member
    Loving it so far! The Nates have a ton of grip and the suspension keeps the tires planted. Was planning to mount Husker Du's but with snow already on the ground that will have to wait until spring.

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-p1020928.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Where are the bucksaws? Did they actually start shipping to dealers November 10? Seems like they should be at dealers by now. What sort of allotments are shops seeing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For you frameset buyers, I was informed by shop who contacted Rep that the Salsa Split Pivot Top Cap Dropout Tool is in fact NOT included with the frameset. Misprint on their website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Framesets have started showing up. My LBS got one in (not mine, the LBS owner) - he put his order in two weeks before I did so he made the first shipment. Mine is Dec or Jan but given the first lot was scheduled for late Oct early Nov I am betting on Feb. :-)

mtbr member
    Just picked mine up! Only thing that sucks is that I live in Chicago, and I don't want to mess it up by riding it here. Good news is that I'm moving to Austin, Tx soon and I can start riding it there not too long from now.

When you buy a Salsa here they give you some chips and Salsa... lol
    Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw02.jpg

Quality of the pictures best I could do with my cell phone!

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw01.jpgSalsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw04.jpgSalsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw05.jpgSalsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-bucksaw06.jpg
    Ridley Helium // Ribble Sportive Racing // Giant STP 1 // Wraith Paycheck // Wraith Hustle // Salsa Bucksaw

since 4/10/2009

Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Where are the bucksaws? Did they actually start shipping to dealers November 10? Seems like they should be at dealers by now. What sort of allotments are shops seeing?
    A few are showing up. It seems europeans got theirs a few days sooner. Assuming mine is still on the first shipment, it will probably be at the tail end since I purchased mine with ep pricing.

The fat bike group on facebook has more pics than we have seen here. There is a sweet blue/pink/polished alu one on there.

There is no allotment really. Just whatever a shop managed to order. Some banked on this bike and got floor stock. Others are only getting a couple special order bikes. Some shops only have bikes coming on the next two shipments in the next several months. Many probably won't see one at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New question here.

Anyone have pictures of Velocity Duallys or Stans Hugo rims on a Bucksaw yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hugecgar View Post
    Anyone have pictures of Velocity Duallys or Stans Hugo rims on a Bucksaw yet?
    I may be in the minority, but since buying my Ibis Mojo in 2008, and realizing the magic that Dave Weagle builds into his suspension design, I have to comment on the folks wanting to try different size rims, different size tires, etc. I made the mistake of buying a different FS design, rode it for a year and sold it, swearing that I would never ride anything without the DW name on it.

Because of that, and because I know Dave put careful attention into the wheel rim size, the tire pressure, the tire profile, I for one will only run the 65mm rims with 4" tires. This isn't a snow bike, it's not a XC racer...it's an all mountain fat bike. It's a new breed, Dave and Salsa worked hard on it, and from what I'm hearing from my buddy riding his, they NAILED it. It ain't broke, so don't try and fix it, just hope you're lucky enough to get one and go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
    I may be in the minority, but since buying my Ibis Mojo in 2008, and realizing the magic that Dave Weagle builds into his suspension design, I have to comment on the folks wanting to try different size rims, different size tires, etc. I made the mistake of buying a different FS design, rode it for a year and sold it, swearing that I would never ride anything without the DW name on it.

Because of that, and because I know Dave put careful attention into the wheel rim size, the tire pressure, the tire profile, I for one will only run the 65mm rims with 4" tires. This isn't a snow bike, it's not a XC racer...it's an all mountain fat bike. It's a new breed, Dave and Salsa worked hard on it, and from what I'm hearing from my buddy riding his, they NAILED it. It ain't broke, so don't try and fix it, just hope you're lucky enough to get one and go ride it.

I appreciate your input on this - feedback is exactly what I'm looking for. I already have a Bucksaw 1 frame that purchased a couple weeks ago. Once I have it set up I will be sure to post how it rides and the wheel width i chose. Much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-img_2610.jpg  

All fat, all the time.
    ^^
    A couple weeks!?!.....get on it! Finish that bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyB View Post

With no disrespect to you whatsover, hugecgar, I ^^^Totally agree with this. When I was thinking about building one up, I went to a Salsa demo event that came through town and when I said I intended to use 80mm rims, I was STRONGLY encouraged to reconsider, because the 65mm width was pretty integral to the overall intended performance/behavior of the bike. I ended up buying a complete BS, so I got 65's by default, and at this point I want to put a lot of time on these wheels, and this bike, so that I can learn about and get used to this "new breed" before I start deviating too much from what I consider to be a fairly critical design parameter.

YMMV and probably will, which is great, since creativity and invention is the heart of fatbike evolution. In contrast, some serious development effort has been put into the BS, which I also respect. So there's that . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I will be running 47mm TrialTech trials rims on my BS with Salsa hubs. Wheels are built, but my frame is not in yet... That said, I already have plans to build a set of Nextie/i9 wheels either in the fall or early next year. That way I can run two sets of tires/rims for different trail conditions. :-) With all the $$ required to build up a BS, I went with the cheap set of wheels first. I will probably make the 47mm rims dry condition/bike path wheels - with some V8 or similar low rolling resistance tires and have the Nextie set for normal trails with H-Billie/snowshoe or Nate/H-billie combo.

:-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spovegas View Post
    With no disrespect to you whatsover, hugecgar, I ^^^Totally agree with this. When I was thinking about building one up, I went to a Salsa demo event that came through town and when I said I intended to use 80mm rims, I was STRONGLY encouraged to reconsider, because the 65mm width was pretty integral to the overall intended performance/behavior of the bike. I ended up buying a complete BS, so I got 65's by default, and at this point I want to put a lot of time on these wheels, and this bike, so that I can learn about and get used to this "new breed" before I start deviating too much from what I consider to be a fairly critical design parameter.

YMMV and probably will, which is great, since creativity and invention is the heart of fatbike evolution. In contrast, some serious development effort has been put into the BS, which I also respect. So there's that . . .

"To mitigate auto-steer in Bucksaw, the formula was simple: Use the narrowest and smallest fatbike tire size to keep the tire profile as round as possible, and at as high a pressure as possible, while still maintaining the benefits and feel of the fatbike concept. We find this sweet spot to be a 4” tire mounted on a 50 to 82mm-width rim." Source - Digging deeper into Bucksaw -> Salsa Cycles

From experience I can say my Krampus rides much better with Duallys than it did with the stock Rabbit Holes - Just like most people say in the forums "its like a while new bike". How can you see much value in the Nexties? - I can pick up a set of stans or Duallys for less than what it costs to get one nextie wheel (also very similar in weight, and probably more durable). Its hard not to consider especially the Hugo 52mm as a option when it falls directly in Salsas "sweet spot" for the BS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    "To mitigate auto-steer in Bucksaw, the formula was simple: Use the narrowest and smallest fatbike tire size to keep the tire profile as round as possible, and at as high a pressure as possible, while still maintaining the benefits and feel of the fatbike concept. We find this sweet spot to be a 4” tire mounted on a 50 to 82mm-width rim." Source - Digging deeper into Bucksaw -> Salsa Cycles

From experience I can say my Krampus rides much better with Duallys than it did with the stock Rabbit Holes - Just like most people say in the forums "its like a while new bike". How can you see much value in the Nexties? - I can pick up a set of stans or Duallys for less than what it costs to get one nextie wheel (also very similar in weight, and probably more durable). Its hard not to consider especially the Hugo 52mm as a option when it falls directly in Salsas "sweet spot" for the BS.
    My Trial-Tech rims were only $100 with shipping for the pair, and they came in the anodized red I wanted. Given I built up two other bikes this fall then bought the Bucksaw frame I had to cut some costs. Like the cranks, I am not thrilled with the RF Ride cranks, but for the $85 they cost I will make due.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    My Trial-Tech rims were only $100 with shipping for the pair, and they came in the anodized red I wanted. Given I built up two other bikes this fall then bought the Bucksaw frame I had to cut some costs. Like the cranks, I am not thrilled with the RF Ride cranks, but for the $85 they cost I will make due.

Sorry but rims with cutouts are out for me - IMO, its just more to buy and maintain. after riding cut outs with rim strips for a year then switching to a dually, i can say that i see no benefit to running a wheel with cut outs and rim strips. More weight and more things that can fail. I know ur on a budget but that is probably the last rim I would consider, it's out of Salsa spec and it has cutouts, plus putting a 50 dollar rim on a 5k bike just does not seem right. I really appreciate ur feed back though, thanks for sharing your experience and setup! If you have a picture of the tire profile with the 47 I would LOVE to see it - Also a pic of the tire clearance on each side of the BS frame would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New question here.

Back to the original question - Anyone have pictures of Velocity Duallys or Stans Hugo rims on a Bucksaw yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sorry but rims with cutouts are out for me - IMO, its just more to buy and maintain. after riding cut outs with rim strips for a year then switching to a dually, i can say that i see no benefit to running a wheel with cut outs and rim strips. More weight and more things that can fail. I know ur on a budget but that is probably the last rim I would consider, it's out of Salsa spec and it has cutouts, plus putting a 50 dollar rim on a 5k bike just does not seem right. I really appreciate ur feed back though, thanks for sharing your experience and setup! If you have a picture of the tire profile with the 47 I would LOVE to see it - Also a pic of the tire clearance on each side of the BS frame would be awesome.
    Ah, I like the cutouts - I am a fan of custom rim strips (not the heavy stock Surly strips). I doubt you can tell the difference looking at or riding a 47mm rim vs the 52mm Hugo rims. The dually rims are only 45mm, so mine are right between the two in size. The TrialTech rims also only weigh 565g each, so they are lighter than the Hugo or Dually and are cheaper (and proven strong by tons of Trials experience). My goal with this build was to build a bike with a better spec than a BS2 while being cheaper. I am only about $100 over the cost of a BS2 while having a bike that is close to a BS1 spec, and lighter than either of the factory builds (I am using carbon bars and seatpost, lighter rims, ti railed saddle). Should be a fun bike, but I do plan on eventually upgrading the cranks (Next SL?) and the rims. Possibly adding a dropper post, but where I ride (Midwest flatness) there really isn't much of a need. I probably could have stayed on budget if I didn't have to get two sets of ODI grips to get the grip/lock ring colors I wanted and the vanity of the Jagwire colored shifter/brake cables/hoses. My bike will be a 3 season bike as I already have a Bluto equipped 5" bike with Bud/Lou for winter running 2x10. Need that granny gear for the snow.

since 4/10/2009

I went Nextie 65's for a couple of reasons. 1 was ease of tubeless setup. When I bought mine, the Hugos were not quite available yet, and I wanted a little wider, besides. Yes, the BS has an optimal range of 50-82mm, but 65 is square in the middle of that, and what the bike comes with. I wanted to be as close to that as possible and I wasn't going to wait for the rumored wider Hugo. Secondary was the weight savings of the Nexties compared to most of the available alu options. no, the Nexties aren't as light as the HED rims, but they're also about half the cost. so there's that.

as for the original question about using Duallys or Hugos with the Bucksaw, I think you need to look outside simply Bucksaw riders for input. The slightly narrower rim will round out the tire profile a bit more than a 65. That will help with cornering, but may mean you'll need to run a little higher pressure to avoid tire squirm. I would look at any fat bike rider who used wheels with Dually or Hugo rims with 4" tires. I have a friend who rode a wheelset with Duallys on his Mukluk for a summer wheelset this past year. He didn't detail why, but he said he didn't like it. He uses the stock wheels (Darryls) as a winter wheelset. He's thinking about building a 65mm set, possibly Nexties, for summer wheels for the next year, esp after seeing mine.

mtbr member
    My 65mm nexties shipped this week. Tune Fat-King/Kong hubs coming next month.

Rear wheel will fit my Mukluk until carbon bucksaw is delivered somewhere in May ...

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTVdevil View Post

Rear wheel will fit my Mukluk until carbon bucksaw is delivered somewhere in May ...
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTVdevil View Post

Let me know what the order date was and when you receive them, thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I'm curious too. Just placed a rim order today, hoping to get it in before their holiday slowdown.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Would anyone be up for measuring the bb height of their bucksaw?

Ground to center of crank spindle, with bike vertical. State your rims and tires since these obviously affect the height.

Thanks!

rmb
    mtbr member
    It looks to be right at 13.5 inches with stock rims and Vanhelgas (no sag.)

Rohloff
    13.5 with stock Marge Lite w/ Nates.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Cool thanks.

mtbr member

I'm curious, TNT website already gives an expected delivery-date for the 26th. (Did a check and their hub is here Belgium... Convenient

Sent from my SM-T905 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HDTVdevil; 01-24-2015 at 03:15 PM.

bikeboatbrewski
    Looks like the maxle lite axle on my bluto is fakd, taking it back to the shop to fix it.

Went to mount up my Dillingers and can not get the front wheel off, glad I did not have a flat in the middle of nowhere.

mtbr member

Ordered on thre19th and received confirmation they would go in production the next day.
    Shipped on the 21th (they first ship ChinaPost to HK, then TNT-Express from HK) and arrived/left TNT on the 23rd.
    Delivered on 26th.

So 1 week.

mtbr member
    Unpacked them today. They look nice. Can't wait for the hubs to arrive si i can lace them abd put the vanhelgas tubeless on them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Bucksaw 1 Build - Stans Hugo - Surly Knard - Hope Fatsno
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-rsz_fullsizerender-2_-_version_2.jpg  

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-rsz_img_2763.jpg  

Salsa Cycles BUCKSAW FS Fat Bike-rsz_img_2758.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone have experience with sizing between L and XL on the Bucksaw yet? Website says 6'3" and over for XL. I'm 6'2", 34 inseam, longish arms. Almost every bike I have had has been XL - recently mostly various Santa Cruz models. I intend to have this bike in a quiver and use it for rocky, sandy, snowy trail riding and some lift served park riding. It looks like the top tube lengths of the other bikes I own are all around 25". The L Bucksaw is 24.8" and the XL is 25.6". I guess my gut would be to go smaller on the basis of the intended use being a bit more on the aggressive side? Any experience or thoughts would be appreciated!

since 4/10/2009
    Fitters are paying more attention to reach and stack measurements on bike frames these days.

As for me, I found the Salsa sizing chart to run small. Way small. Salsa's chart suggested I was on the edge between small/med. On some bikes, I am comfortable riding larges, though that doesn't give me much room for tossing the bike around. For example, I rode a large Mukluk and felt good on it if all I was doing was seated riding.

In the end, I chose a medium, which is the same size I tend to choose for all my mtb's. Big enough that I don't feel cramped, but small enough that I can move around above the bike in technical terrain.

mtbr member
    Do you guys think with the popularity of the B+ bikes the Bucksaw is becoming a little obsolete?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Do you guys think with the popularity of the B+ bikes the Bucksaw is becoming a little obsolete?
    No, because it can be run B+, B-fat and 26" fat and it rocks in all modes. The Mastodon was a game changer for sure.

mtbr member
    I just pulled the trigger and bought one of these, its an amazing bike! I got a great deal on a 2016 XO build for 2200 bucks, I wanted the carbon but it was way out of my budget.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Maybe a little dated, but not due to tire size so much as insufficient travel; 100mm is not enough for anything but an XC race bike or an entry level mountain bike.

Maybe once they clear out the old stock they'll redesign the frame, bump the travel, adjust the STA/HTA, and shorten the chainstays.

I'd buy a BS for the DW Link suspension, but only if it was at least 120mm; 130mm would be perfect with a 140mm Mastodon.

The Bucksaw is three years old, how time flies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Maybe a little dated, but not due to tire size so much as insufficient travel; 100mm is not enough for anything but an XC race bike or an entry level mountain bike. ... only if it was at least 120mm; 130mm.
    I don't know ... have you actually spent much time on one?

I have and totally don't agree with the statement. 130 or 140mm travel with 26x4 tires would be one hell of a plush bike. Certainly fun for some types of riding but there is no free lunch and it would be harder to make climb well, harder to make other things work (reasonable rear geometry, etc)...

The 26x4 tire is roughly 1.5" (radius; 3" diam) extra "air" over a more standard width tire. This feels roughly (per reviews, and also per my experience) a _lot_ like that much (30mm++) more suspension. Now, it's obviously undamped suspension; but just like a bluto takes most of the "bounce" out of a rigid fat bike, the damped full suspension does so for that 1.5-inches of extra air.

Every bike has different geometry, but from my riding the bucksaw is much, MUCH closer to an all-mountain feel than xc. (granted definitions continue to change; all mtn/enduro can be had in 7" travel now)

I didn't originally intend to buy one, but got a steal of a price on a year old model (new) so "why not". I do like to climb as well, but in the direction of gravity I like to push myself.

All fat, all the time.
    Just got back from a week long trip in the sawtooths. I ride everything with my bucksaw that the skinny tire guys with 150mm suspension rode.
    27.5+ here now in summer mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post

I have and totally don't agree with the statement. 130 or 140mm travel with 26x4 tires would be one hell of a plush bike. Certainly fun for some types of riding but there is no free lunch and it would be harder to make climb well, harder to make other things work (reasonable rear geometry, etc)...

The 26x4 tire is roughly 1.5" (radius; 3" diam) extra "air" over a more standard width tire. This feels roughly (per reviews, and also per my experience) a _lot_ like that much (30mm++) more suspension. Now, it's obviously undamped suspension; but just like a bluto takes most of the "bounce" out of a rigid fat bike, the damped full suspension does so for that 1.5-inches of extra air.

Every bike has different geometry, but from my riding the bucksaw is much, MUCH closer to an all-mountain feel than xc. (granted definitions continue to change; all mtn/enduro can be had in 7" travel now)

I didn't originally intend to buy one, but got a steal of a price on a year old model (new) so "why not". I do like to climb as well, but in the direction of gravity I like to push myself.
    Yeah this bike feels every bit as plush to me as my Hightower. So far two rides in and all I can do is grin when I ride it. Finding that sweet spot with the air pressure is going to take some time. I would run anywhere from 25 to 29 with the Hightower is 29 mode 14-17 with the plus tires so im guessing to try 8-12 with 4" tires?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post

No, I've never even seen one in person... I'm actually a twelve year old posting from Uzbekistan

If you like gravity, then we both know that 100mm of travel is not a lot unless we're talking DJ; no one rides a DJ outside of a bike park.

A trail bike needs travel, big hits, fast riding, short travel is not your friend. Can it be done? Sure, you can ride full rigid too, but we're not taking about that kind of bike.

If you ever have the opportunity to ride a long travel fat bike, it's an eye opener to what is possible on big wheels.

As I write, my Fatillac is being powder coated, CC IL Coil is on order, 150mm travel rear, Mastodon Pro 150mm travel in the bull pen, just in time for the high Sierra melt out.

Face it, three years is a long time, even Trek offers more suspension travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    we both know that 100mm of travel is not a lot
    You don't have the like the bike, BUT you should try to compare apples-to-apples if you're going to spend your time on it.

Tires compress between the rim/ground in the same way as the air-spring in your fork does. if you define travel as the fork only, but then compare two bikes with 30mm+ _different_ total compression distance when landed upon, your not making a meaningful comparison.

It's entirely up to you if it's a meaningful comparison you're actually after.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    8-12 with 4" tires?
    8-12 is what seems to be the recommended amount. I am tall and 200lb, and have been riding 29ers for the last couple years, so right now I pump them firmer, ~15~17. I have had some goatheads, though, and finished rides pushing 10psi. It feels softer, but not necessarily in a bad way and I've had no significant rim strikes. On sandy uphills, the lower pressure is very noticeably higher-traction (this above an already very sticky feeling of the 4" at any reasonable pressure)

I'm not sure if 4" tires would show the same trend as these road tires, but regarding efficiency of lower pressures and wider tires, it's not always simple. This objective road test showed that less-pressured (road) had pretty similar rolling resistance, and wider tires (again, in road-widths) had slightly LESS rolling resistance. Some models were extremely close, others were different by only ~5%. Resistance is futile: How tire pressure and width affect rolling resistance | VeloNews.com. As far as it applies to my use cases, the traction and ride comfort would far outweigh the costs.

"if a wider tire is made of the same materials in the same thickness as a narrower one, it will roll faster, because (1) the internal friction and hysteresis within the tire’s materials will be lower, and (2) because the surface imperfections in the road will be absorbed into the tire more easily"
    Unfortunately i can't find the article (it's more relevant to our bikes than the road article above), but before I bought the bucksaw I read a writeup from an enduro racer comparing both rolling resistance and his trail performance on 29 standard versus 27.5+ ... It was pretty objective, with the test repeated several times. The wider, lower-pressure tire did NOT lose. IIR it was mixed, with very close results. (post the link if anyone finds it!)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Owned a BS for a year, sold it to buy a Fatillac.

BS is an incredibly harsh, short travel sort of bike. It was done by design. Bearing in mind that it was "the first" FS fattie, had they come out with a marshmallow of a bike, there would be a host of whiners talking about loss of efficiency, so they erred on the side of firm ride quality to sell more units, cause hey, it's all about crushing last years sales numbers if you want to keep your parent company happy.

I couldn't ever get the ride I wanted out of the BS, I want to feel the travel I bought, not *think my suspension worked*.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    200lbs rider, 11psi rear, 8psi front Jumbo Jim tubeless lightskins, CC DB IL rear shock, Wren 110 fork.
    With the DB rear shock I can barely feel the small to medium roots anymore and the overall ride is more plush lively and controlled. The DB allows very fine adjustments to get the rear suspension just right. The Wren up front is also a nice improvement over the Bluto, but I will get a Mastodon since it can be custom valved.

Rohloff
    I think that's true for some. I ride in central Texas. No snow. A little sand and mud. Lots and lots of loose rock. I find my 29ers to be a bit sketchy at times. I find the BS to be rock solid but a bit too wide at times. B+ seems to be the Goldilocks bike to me. That said, I don't think the BS is obsolete. It's the ideal bike for a XC/Trail rider that frequently encounters snow, sand, mud, etc.

mtbr member
    Well ive had several rides on this bike and I absolutely love it!!! The Hightower just sit there now...lol Im kinda wishing I went with the carbon but no big deal. I like everything about this bike except the grips, which is an easy and cheap fix.

It really does make a great trail bike, I cant believe how agile it feel on the trails, I have been setting PR's like crazy and even got a 4th overall on a section of trail.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Owned a BS for a year, sold it to buy a Fatillac.

BS is an incredibly harsh, short travel sort of bike. It was done by design. Bearing in mind that it was "the first" FS fattie, had they come out with a marshmallow of a bike, there would be a host of whiners talking about loss of efficiency, so they erred on the side of firm ride quality to sell more units, cause hey, it's all about crushing last years sales numbers if you want to keep your parent company happy.

I couldn't ever get the ride I wanted out of the BS, I want to feel the travel I bought, not *think my suspension worked*.....
    The harsh ride is probably the crappy tune of the shock and less the suspension design. Did you get it tuned or try a coil?

All fat, all the time.
    I installed the debonair can, it seemed to help the rear perform better.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Dumb question, but does the Bluto/Monarch already have oil in it when you receive the bike? I'm guessing no since it comes with syringes. I am setting up my Bucksaw for the first time and want to make sure I do everything correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbo View Post
    Dumb question, but does the Bluto/Monarch already have oil in it when you receive the bike? I'm guessing no since it comes with syringes. I am setting up my Bucksaw for the first time and want to make sure I do everything correctly.
    Yes it does, the syringes are for bleeding the brakes,when needed.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thank you! First bike for me with suspension of any kind. I'm ecstatic to say the least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbo View Post
    Thank you! First bike for me with suspension of any kind. I'm ecstatic to say the least.
    You will need to add air though, so make sure you buy a shock pump, do NOT use a tire pump or air compressor
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Done. Bleeding the dropper now. Trying to sneak a quick ride in before midnite. Or after...I guess it doesn't really matter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123