Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Salsa Carbon Beargrease First Ride

I swung a leg over one Tuesday, and then again Wednesday. Here's some first ride thoughts...

Salsa Carbon Beargrease First Ride-9819950856_a984ce8593_z.jpg

mtbr member
    It's going to be interesting watching fat bikes grow up. Talk to some people, and the only possible future for fatbikes is heavy steel adventure machines, talk to others and the future is lightweight trail bikes.

Personally, I don't know, hope there's room for both and some spots in between for folks like me who don't want to commit to either end of the spectrum.

After falling off a raised platform a couple weeks ago, I don't know if I'd want a carbon bike, but I gotta admit, it does look purty.

That cassette looks positively insane.

Nice write-up. I personally like your dollar bill example for the size of the downtube. Haven't seen that anywhere yet!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Nice write-up. I personally like your dollar bill example for the size of the downtube. Haven't seen that anywhere yet!
    Yeah, you know normally, I'd be using a Benjamin, but I'm tryin' to keep it real...

But seriously, I like to give an example that you can relate to. My hand is different from your hand, and saying that it's 3.XYS inches wide is abstract. Everyone can envision a dollar bill.

never summer
    As usual great write up.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I rode one about 10 miles - it's a damn big down tube. I'm glad that no one else attending the same demo that I did seemed visibly put off, because my bamboo frames of the future are going to have an enormous down tube also.

Good review, lawfarm. My two cents:

I agree, the bike is a rocket of a fat bike. Picking it up is an exercise in disbelief. The steering for summer riding - perfect. I got lucky that the M size fit me perfectly, I'm usually a fan of narrower alt bars but the cockpit worked awesome. The XX1 drivetrain muddied my opinions on drive trains (I hate derailleurs) as it worked really very well and was quiet.

That said, I'm used to my front suspended fat bike - I'll take the lighter weight, and acknowledge that suspension will never get me as feather light as this bike. But I'm not going rigid for summer use again any time soon. This thing only got up to speed a bit faster than usual and I kept having to yell at myself to brake earlier going into corners, not only because I'd accelerated faster but because the front tire would be comparably skipping around choppy corners.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Was that build right at 26 lbs (Test Ride: Salsa Carbon Fat Bike | Gear Review | Gear Junkie), or do you think it was lighter?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    Was that build right at 26 lbs (Test Ride: Salsa Carbon Fat Bike | Gear Review | Gear Junkie), or do you think it was lighter?
    Don't know about lawfarm, but I didn't see a scale handy. So, I cannot answer objectively.

Subjectively, it was WTF feeling. Like picking up an Appleman bike with fat tires on it.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Nice review But it seems my old Beargrease is now officially obsolete:

Lotto this week

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    It had to have been lighter. The Spearfish I rode was 23.6 pounds, and subjectively, the Beargrease felt lighter. I didn't throw the Beargrease on a scale (d'oh), but will do so in a couple weeks when I see mine show up.

mtbr member
    Gorgeous bike! Great review!
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

turtles make me hot
    I rode one last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it...
    Only thing was it was an XL and felt too small for me.
    I like turtles

Bad cat!
    Heading out to buy a lottery ticket right now... I feel a little choked up about Salsa, man they deserve to sell the beelzebub out of that bike, it's a beauty. Curse you for writing about it, I was trying to ignore it! Must keep head. in. Sand.

Bad cat!
    Hey, hold on a sec... 23.6 lb Spearfish? Dang that's an XC weapon...tell all on 29er thread?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    Hey, hold on a sec... 23.6 lb Spearfish? Dang that's an XC weapon...tell all on 29er thread?
    I haven't gotten to writing anything beyond the split pivot review for the Spearfish, but yeah. Bone stock, 23.6 pounds with XX1.

Bad cat!
    Ah yes, I see--I managed to scroll down past the beargrease centerfold pics...thanks for the write-ups!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm having a hard time understanding the article. There are a lot of references to a Mukluk or Pugsley. Is that what the author is comparing the carbon Beargrease with?

For example.. The weight between the alu. Beargrease and the carbon Beargrease is actually fairly close, but the article seems to say it is a revolutionary difference?

I think I'm missing something.

mtbr member

Salsa Carbon Beargrease First Ride

I asked my lbs to put the lower-spec carbon Beargrease on the scale. 28 lbs. I'm sure the XX1 version is lighter, but it's not a 4-pound difference.

Re: Salsa Carbon Beargrease First Ride

Yeah, the frame weight isn't drastically different either. Borealis takes the win on lightest fat bike at 21.9 lbs, that's with carbon rims.

mtbr member
    That's a beautiful review! I think it's ready to go paperback. Awesome use of photos.

Thanks. :-)

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anyone know what the geometry is on this bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Anyone know what the geometry is on this bike?
    2014 Beargrease XX1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks! Checked the website two days ago and couldn't find anything. I think I'm blind:-) or the website have been updated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I wonder if weight can be lost the same way the previous bear grease could lose weight. Example: lighter tubes, etc.

I'm more interested in ride quality and I think that thru axles are a great start.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not going to lie, but a bit sad its only got a 27.2 seat post i like using a dropper on my on one fatty makes it much more trail/chuckable on singletrack.
    still loverly though.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast