mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Salsa Bucksaw Shock help

I am usually pretty good at using Google but this one has me confused. I have 2016 Salsa Carbon Bucksaw. I am not using all the 44mm travel and at 110 lbs am finding the rear a little to progressive. Talked with Salsa and they said the shock has two volume spacers installed. Ok, easy, let's see what happens when I remove one spacer. Search google on how to do this, but my Monarch RT3 looks nothing like the ones on SRAM or google. I am not even sure there can be volume spacers in this shock. I find no sleeve as described by SRAM. Maybe this is just some low volume air can that is a less expensive OEM can and Salsa gave me incorrect info. What do you guys think? Has anyone added volume spacers or taken them out of the stock Monarch RT3? I have attached pictures of the shock. I know I should just go with the Debonair but I am really trying to decide Debonair or DB Inline before I make a purchase. Thanks for all your help.Salsa Bucksaw Shock help-img_0166.jpgSalsa Bucksaw Shock help-img_0165.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Think I figured it out. This is just a regular air can and there are no spacers. Even though I told the guy at Salsa that it was a 2016 bike I think he gave me the info on the 2017 bike; it was Friday afternoon so I cut him some slack. I am going to go ahead and order the Debonair can and put that on. Any advice on how to get the pin out of the bottom for Debonair can install would be great.

Cheers, Jill

All fat, all the time.
    I'm not sure if they cheeked the newer model or not, but the first year bucksaw rear shock, at full travel the bottom of the air can does not go to the bottom of the shaft.
    Somewhere around 1/2"-3/4".
    Best to let all air out of shock, see where bottom of travel is, and use some black electrical tape to mark it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I'm not sure if they cheeked the newer model or not, but the first year bucksaw rear shock, at full travel the bottom of the air can does not go to the bottom of the shaft.
    Somewhere around 1/2"-3/4".
    Best to let all air out of shock, see where bottom of travel is, and use some black electrical tape to mark it.
    Yes, there was a thread about that a while back. For some reason they spec'd a longer shaft. Might have been to use a particular eye-eye length and available parts, don't remember exactly. The graduations on the shaft are correct for the stroke, but the air can stroke does not use up all the shaft as is typical. Seem to remember more like 1-1.25" shaft unused. Best to self measure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Yes, there was a thread about that a while back. For some reason they spec'd a longer shaft. Might have been to use a particular eye-eye length and available parts, don't remember exactly. The graduations on the shaft are correct for the stroke, but the air can stroke does not use up all the shaft as is typical. Seem to remember more like 1-1.25" shaft unused. Best to self measure.
    I have determined max travel by releasing all air pressure and compressing the suspension. Max travel is 44mm although the shaft extends another 3/4". I have ordered the debonair can. This should help me tune the shock to my weight.

Thanks, Jill

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Would appreciate you following up with side by side pics of the cans, your tune, and ride impressions.

For me (175lbs) it's a bit harsh for a ride or two then seems to sit pretty deep in the travel. Can't recall the PSI off hand. I've not found a happy medium that lasts. Maybe I need a refresh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Would appreciate you following up with side by side pics of the cans, your tune, and ride impressions.

For me (175lbs) it's a bit harsh for a ride or two then seems to sit pretty deep in the travel. Can't recall the PSI off hand. I've not found a happy medium that lasts. Maybe I need a refresh?
    What can are you running? If you are running the Debonair can it may be the negative is having too much of an influence on it, pulling it down to much and requiring more air pressure to hold it up. This results in too harsh of a ride in the upper part of the stroke. I found this to be what happened with the Fox Evol can. The way I solved it was to put my own o-ring spacers in the Negative chamber. That way I could tune how big the negative chamber was. Will do the same for the Debonair can.