mtbr member

from salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!

hi all thought id post some pics of the new rig i just built up and offer a little feed back on going back from full suspension to hard tail. i intially went to the bucksaw as it was going to be my do it all bike, something i could shred in the winter but have a hoot on in the summer. the bike was great but just couldn't compete in the summer with a regular 27.5 on the climbing ease and the super sharp handling i was use to from a regular tire bike. enter intense tracer and no need for multi season fat bike but still wanted to ride the bucksaw in the winter and see the benefits of the dw link on snow covered trails. i was quite happy with how the bike eliminated a lot of the rear wheel undampned rebound but i felt i suffered again on the peddling efficiency when climbing and on our snowy single track didn't find the rear suspension of huge significance when decending as i never reached speeds that i felt made it a must. then ibis released the transfat and had a change in my mind anyway and saw one at my local shop. i couldn't leave without the frame it was that beautiful! just finished building it up and hopefully will give a ride report in the next few days. the build is as follows,
    ibis transfat frame orange
    whisky no9 carbon rims with industry 9 hubs sapim race spokes and orange nipples
    rockshox bluto rct3 120mm
    full xtr m9000 11 speed drivetrain with xtr brakes 180mm rotor f/r
    race face next sl 170mm cranks
    headset cane creek 40
    handlebar chromag cutlass
    pedals chromag contact
    seat post whisky no7 carbon
    seat chromag trailmaster 2
    grips odi lock on tld grips
    stem chromag ranger 70mmfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2225.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2228.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2224.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2227.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2219.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2223.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2226.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2221.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2222.jpg
    Last edited by Calgarytrev; 01-21-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Day-um! Nice work

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Beautiful bike- I love the orange color. I have come to realize that my Bucksaw as a 27.5+ and my steel rigid fattie cover all the riding I ever do- on snow covered trails the Bucksaw is a bit overkill.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Beautiful bike- I love the orange color. I have come to realize that my Bucksaw as a 27.5+ and my steel rigid fattie cover all the riding I ever do- on snow covered trails the Bucksaw is a bit overkill.
    I actually considered going 27.5+ as well when my local bike shop suggested it. Only reason I went with the carbon tracer instead was I got to demo one and just fell in love with it for a summer ride and kind of lost interest in doing the Bucksaw swap but I haven't a bad thing to say about the Bucksaw on the fun factor scale it was an absolute riot and always put a smile on my face!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cool beer fridge!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Cool beer fridge!
    Lol that's an original 1952 kelvinator!

All fat, all the time.
    Great looking bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Great looking bike!
    Thanks bro!

mtbr member
    Great Build!

I love the orange bits that match the frame!

All fat, all the time.
    If they make a fat mojo my wallet will be lighter

WNC Native
    That's a sharp ride man, congrats!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgarytrev View Post
    the bike was great but just couldn't compete in the summer with a regular 27.5 on the climbing ease (...)
    Interesting. The first and lasting impression of my Bucksaw was that it climbed very well on technical climbs. This was compared to any of my old 26" FS bikes and my Pugsley. As long as I can provide the power, I'll get up whatever I point the bike at. The rear shock keeps the wheel on the ground, and the large tire deformes to provide traction over the small uneven stuff. This is of course mainly a summer feature.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice looking bike you got there, you should look at junking the Bluto and getting a Lauf, it's way lighter and far more practical for a snow only fatty.

I'm heading that way for my next fatty, but I'm looking at a Ventana El Gordo for the 170mm sliding drops.

I'm not surprised with your conclusion on the Bucksaw, it really isn't a great two quiver bike, it doesn't have enough travel and the geometry is not all that aggressive. Now a Foes Mutz, that's a totally different ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I'm not surprised with your conclusion on the Bucksaw, it really isn't a great two quiver bike, it doesn't have enough travel and the geometry is not all that aggressive. Now a Foes Mutz, that's a totally different ride
    Really? Apart from the longer travel, the geometry of the Mutz and the Bucksaw seem quite similar on paper. How is the Mutz "more aggressive"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farbar View Post
    Interesting. The first and lasting impression of my Bucksaw was that it climbed very well on technical climbs. This was compared to any of my old 26" FS bikes and my Pugsley. As long as I can provide the power, I'll get up whatever I point the bike at. The rear shock keeps the wheel on the ground, and the large tire deformes to provide traction over the small uneven stuff. This is of course mainly a summer feature.
    Totally agree with the bucksaw climbing capability and I loved the geometry I just feel that from an efficiency stand point when climbing I get much more out of a hardtail as with the rear suspension hugging the single track I just run low psi in rear and the deformity in the tire is enough. However again I'm talking soley for the winter and if I wasn't able to get the intense I would have still been happy riding the Bucksaw in the summer

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike you got there, you should look at junking the Bluto and getting a Lauf, it's way lighter and far more practical for a snow only fatty.

I'm heading that way for my next fatty, but I'm looking at a Ventana El Gordo for the 170mm sliding drops.

I can't get over how ugly the lauf is though so it's out. I'm sure after this year we will see some better options. I was going to go with wren but didn't like the weight and I also considered a fox 34 plus and boost the front but already had my hubs and didn't want the hassle thus the bluto which to be totally honest with the rct3 damper I don't mind at all especially in the winter at mostly slow speed

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This isn't exactly the thread for this discussion, but the OP did start his thread with a Bucksaw critique

Yeah, so the BS and Mutz are not even close, the Mutz has 140mm of rear suspension and run with a 150mm fork the HTA is ~ 65deg. Not to mention, the Mutz is far burlier and far stiffer than the BS, and it has an "active" suspension design.

If you rode a BS, then rode a Mutz, you would not have any questions over the difference.

The only bikes that compare to a Mutz are the now limited edition Turner KK and the Lenz Fatilac; of course the Fatilac is in it's own category due to having such short CS.

The BS is an XC Full Suspension Fatbike, nothing wrong with that, but don't try to make it something it's not.

from salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-20160105_224736_resized.jpg

Really? Apart from the longer travel, the geometry of the Mutz and the Bucksaw seem quite similar on paper. How is the Mutz "more aggressive"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, I get ya, the Lauf is funky looking like a Lefty, but having played with one I think it's the best option for adding lightweight suspension to a hard tail fatty.

That bike doesn't need a tanky fork on the front end, it'll just ruin the feel, and ultimately it really wouldn't add any benefit cuz your real "dirt bike" is a full suspension Tracer.

I can't get over how ugly the lauf is though so it's out. I'm sure after this year we will see some better options. I was going to go with wren but didn't like the weight and I also considered a fox 34 plus and boost the front but already had my hubs and didn't want the hassle thus the bluto which to be totally honest with the rct3 damper I don't mind at all especially in the winter at mostly slow speed

Your Best Friend
    One nit picky item. The Bucksaw does NOT use a DW link rear suspension. It does use a split pivot designed by Dave Weagle but the DW link is a completely different type.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    One nit picky item. The Bucksaw does NOT use a DW link rear suspension. It does use a split pivot designed by Dave Weagle but the DW link is a completely different type.
    Yup your right I always get mixed up with pivot and Devinci linkages

mtbr member
    Yeah, so the BS and Mutz are not even close, the Mutz has 140mm of rear suspension and run with a 150mm fork the HTA is ~ 65deg. Not to mention, the Mutz is far burlier and far stiffer than the BS, and it has an "active" suspension design.
    Right. It's listed as a 67 degree HTA on their website, while the BS is 67.7. Didn't seem like much of a difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Very interested to hear how it rides. Do you ride in WBC?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper1999 View Post
    Very interested to hear how it rides. Do you ride in WBC?
    Yup, I'm out there once a week and fish creek twice a week just super busy with work right now. Bought it from Calgary cycle. It was the only one I could find in Alberta. I'm excited to compare it to my buddies new salsa beargrease xo1 and see the different traits they both exhibit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm looking for a new fattie and the Beargrease is at the top of my list, but that might have just changed! A comparison between the two would be awesome.
    The conditions these year have just been fantastic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper1999 View Post
    I'm looking for a new fattie and the Beargrease is at the top of my list, but that might have just changed! A comparison between the two would be awesome.
    The conditions these year have just been fantastic!
    agreed, i cant believe the year we've been having and the condition of the trails. its just been fantastic!

mtbr member
    This isn't exactly the thread for this discussion, but the OP did start his thread with a Bucksaw critique

If you rode a BS, then rode a Mutz, you would not have any questions over the difference.

The only bikes that compare to a Mutz are the now limited edition Turner KK and the Lenz Fatilac; of course the Fatilac is in it's own category due to having such short CS.

The BS is an XC Full Suspension Fatbike, nothing wrong with that, but don't try to make it something it's not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160105_224736_resized.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	1044439
    Funny, the Mutz looks like a simple swing arm bike, that would mean the minute the brakes are hit, the rear suspension gets triangulated and stops working....I do not Call that an active suspension system. JMO
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    Funny, the Mutz looks like a simple swing arm bike, that would mean the minute the brakes are hit, the rear suspension gets triangulated and stops working....I do not Call that an active suspension system. JMO
    Yup, that's exactly what happens, you should stay away from Foes, they don't know anything about suspensions

For my hardtail fatty, I'm looking at the Ventana El Gordo, 170mm with alternator drops, it'll take 29+, 27+, and 26 ◊5. Might get some low bb with the smaller wheels, but it's nuce to have choices.

It's too bad Ibis didn't offer a 170 triangle, I could be interested otherwise, but I get that 190 is popular for 5" tire users.

mtbr member

It's too bad Ibis didn't offer a 170 triangle, I could be interested otherwise, but I get that 190 is popular for 5" tire users.
    The ibis rear is 12x177 it won't allow a 5" tire

mtbr member

Jealous

I LOVE that bike. When I heard Ibis was offering this I decided then and there my Yampa's days were numbered. (big ibis fan).

What's the weight??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpertCrasher View Post
    I LOVE that bike. When I heard Ibis was offering this I decided then and there my Yampa's days were numbered. (big ibis fan).

What's the weight??
    Thx brother! I'll weigh it for you tonight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Seriously? I could have swore it was 190mm... so maybe that's an option then; my buddy is an Ibis dealer

The ibis rear is 12x177 it won't allow a 5" tire

mtbr member
    Seriously? I could have swore it was 190mm... so maybe that's an option then; my buddy is an Ibis dealer
    Yup I wouldn't have bought it if it was a 190, and kind of like the option for belt drive on it as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpertCrasher View Post

What's the weight??
    so i weighed the bike,comes in at 26.2lb without pedals

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

The El Gordo is just a fantastic bike. Not sure what their secret sauce is, but the bikes just have that magic. In the winter you can jam the dropouts all the way forward, and when you slap on the 29+ (knard 3.0 for me) you have to move them way back. In 29+ form the bike is just amazing - as it is as a snowbike. Running 65mm nexties for winter and 40mm nexties for summer.

mtbr member
    well i finally got the ibis out for a good long ride and man it is everything and more than what i expected!! the bike simply shreds!!! the first thing i noticed was how light the front end felt, much sharper steering as well which is to be expected with the head angle over the bucksaw. i was looking for that more efficient pedal than the bucksaw and boy does the ibis deliver. i climbed and cleared a 300ft climb i always struggle with and have never made it up the first time today.the bike is so light and nimble it is such an easy trade off for the rear end dampening from the bucksaw its ridiculous. so nice to buy a bike and feel that it is worth absolutely every penny and more. i still will want to ride my buddies beagrease and give a comparison just for kicks. i always tell it how it is even if it is my stuff I'm reviewing and if its junk its junk but i just can't wait for my next ride, the ibis is a truly killer fat bike!from salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2308.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2307.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-img_2306.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    gorgeous bike...how much if you dont mind me asking?

beer thief
    Right. It's listed as a 67 degree HTA on their website, while the BS is 67.7. Didn't seem like much of a difference.
    I see Nurse Ben is still ejaculating all over his Mutz. Chainstay length on the Mutz is over a 1/2" longer than the Bucksaw so you need to want the tractor-trailer geometry to go that route. Putting a 150mm fork on a frame spec'd with a 120mm fork will of course slacken any frame. Good luck climbing with that set-up.

That Ibis looks like a sweet hard tail. Seems lame to steal Carver's name for the bike though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    hi all thought id post some pics of the new rig i just built up...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	1044215
    What's that attached to the top cap?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    What's that attached to the top cap?
    K-EDGE Stem Mount for Garmin Computers - Adjustable - K-EDGE Computer Mounts
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf6866 View Post
    gorgeous bike...how much if you dont mind me asking?
    Frame was 2400cnd and the rest of it I don't even want to ad up!

mtbr member
    well after another ride I'm still amazed at how razor sharp this bike handles and feel under me! the only thing I'm not sold on is the bluto rct3(i had an RL on my bucksaw). its ok but just doesn't dampen nearly as well as the fox on my intense. i know there isn't a lot of options out there so i decided to order a new orange i9 boost front hub and ordered the fox 34 plus factory fork in 120mm travel. I'm going to keep riding the bluto until all this crap gets here next week and then ill have a much better idea of how much different the two will be!

mtbr member
    well bikes in the shop. i was getting a bad creak that i thought was BB but its coming from the slot machine connection between the front and rear triangle that bolts together. almost like there is play when pedal stroke induces torque onto the frame. my mechanic is talking to ibis tomorrow about potential solutions so we will see what happens.

mtbr member
    so all is good the slot machine connection on the BB needed to slide in a bit and wasn't torqued properly! back to shredding!

mtbr member

fox 34 plus conversion!

so got the new fork today and wheel is being laced with i9 boost hub as we speak to the whisky wheel. here is a couple of pics of the fork that came today. fox 34 plus factory and i got the kabolt orange fox axle for a little bling!from salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-image1.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-image2.jpg

mtbr member
    so I'm finished the conversion with the boost front hub and fox 34 plus. what an awesome upgrade to an already awesome bike! sits a lot higher in the stroke and great small bump sensitivity. still playing with it but have been out on 3 rides and the difference was immediately noticeable. tire clearance with a studded d4 is about 7mm on each side so lots of clearance! sorry about the pics being sideways i can't rotate the bloody things

from salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-image4.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-image1.jpgfrom salsa bucksaw to ibis transfat!-image2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    so all is good the slot machine connection on the BB needed to slide in a bit and wasn't torqued properly! back to shredding!
    Fwiw, it may come back. My tranny has seen multiple riders with singlespeed and geared applications and occasionally creaked.

Thousands of miles later... Good to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    BTW, that's a sexy freaking bicycle!

mtbr member
    Thanks brother it rides amazing I'm excited for the 27.5plus I'm building for the summer as well, the bike is just fantastic so figured I'd invest In a summer hardtail wheelset as well

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What wheel set and tire size are you thinking for your 27.5plus? I'm assuming you are sticking with the trans-fat rear triangle? Just curious since I just ordered a frame and planning on starting a summer plus size build.
    Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Yup I stuck with the transfat rear triangle and just used 177mm hub instead of buying additional triangle. I went with derby 27.5 AM rims on orange hope pro 4 hubs but after 3 rides didn't care for the engagement of the hopes so I kept the front and currently have an onyx rear Hub on order. Tires I'm running are nobby nic 2.8. There decent but will switch to maxxis when there offerings hit the market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk