Flucod

Salsa Beargrease Plasti Dipped!

The whole shop bought carbon Beargrease's but one of us could not deal with the pink front. SO plasti dip away and this is the result!

Salsa Beargrease Plasti Dipped!-img_2093.jpg

Laramie, Wyoming
    For someone who doesn't need pedals, it might be a good thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    The whole shop bought carbon Beargrease's but one of us could not deal with the pink front. SO plasti dip away and this is the result!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2093.jpg 
Views:	963 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	1048182
    Awesome. Have been thinking about doing this with my carbon matte bike. Did you do it? How was your experience? I see there's a little design where the colors meet - did you tape it up to get that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bigger than you.
    insecure about your sexuality, much?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Plasti dip and fat bikes, brings back memories of one of the all time great train wreck threads ever.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I was nervous first when I ordered my pink frame, but it really grew on me. My daughters think I have the coolest girls bike in the neighborhood! I ended up swapping out the front pink fork for a black one, which I really like.Salsa Beargrease Plasti Dipped!-pinky-%40-ski-resort.jpgSalsa Beargrease Plasti Dipped!-image.jpg

Your Best Friend
    Hey, I love you guys and I mean this in the most positive way...those bikes look like sh!t.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ugh, plastidip. I had to stop reading car forums when that crap came out. Now it's on fatbikes?

Fwiw, it doesn't look any better than the pink.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Salsa's pink / orange fade is awesome, especially with the black logos. I know it's a matter of taste, but I'm honestly confused as to why some people don't like the stock paint scheme.

In contrast, the black/orange looks awful. Sorry to dis, but who would take a brand new quality frame and ruin it with a ghetto rattle can finish? At least you can probably peel that crap off. Pastidip never looks good on anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Has nothing to do with insecurities, that pink/orange color scheme is just fugly.

The black does not look any better, sorry man.
    Just enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    should have just bought a Giro d'Italia jersey to wear when riding it

any chance he did a before and after weighing to see how much weight the plastidip added?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Utahbikemike View Post
    Ugh, plastidip. I had to stop reading car forums when that crap came out. Now it's on fatbikes?

Fwiw, it doesn't look any better than the pink.
    What's next, spray on bed liner?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What's wrong with plastidip exactly besides "old schoolers" being opposed to "noobies" and their fads. It's a rubber based spray paint that is reversible if you mess up. Personally, I think it's pretty handy..and yea, spay on bed liners are pretty clever too...guess we should just get rid of spray paint too and safety razors since real men paint cars with brushes and shave with machetes...heh...anyway though, this probably isn't the thread for a flaming war.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by josephjosephson View Post
    What's wrong with plastidip exactly besides "old schoolers" being opposed to "noobies" and their fads. It's a rubber based spray paint that is reversible if you mess up. Personally, I think it's pretty handy..and yea, spay on bed liners are pretty clever too...
    Don't stereotype. Has nothing to do with old vs. noob.

The stuff is protective and peels off whenever you want. What's not to like? Otherwise it's personal preference and the only one that matters is the owner's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What's wrong with plastidip exactly besides "old schoolers" being opposed to "noobies" and their fads. It's a rubber based spray paint that is reversible if you mess up. Personally, I think it's pretty handy..and yea, spay on bed liners are pretty clever too...guess we should just get rid of spray paint too and safety razors since real men paint cars with brushes and shave with machetes...heh...anyway though, this probably isn't the thread for a flaming war.

Whoa... "flaming war"? Sorry, my comment was meant to invoke laughter, not hurt anyone's feelings. Let me spell it out: I was referring to the trucks you occasionally see that have been coated completely with bed liner (except for glass) on the exterior. And yes, I get the point about the "reversible if you mess up".
    So here I go again, but please picture the smile on my face as I jokingly offer my humble opinion:
    That's good a good thing, because I think you messed up. I liked the pink better.

mtbr member
    Diversity is good. People are really getting upset? Get out and ride your bikes haha

Monkey Wrangler
    Doesn't that void the warranty on the frame???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Well this is a stupid comment.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Embrace the paint scheme! It stands out and definitely looks awesome. HED big deals with Industry 9 matching hubs and stickers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Beargrease Plasti Dipped!-fullsizerender.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's rad

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just trying to figure out why people don't like it because I can see the disgust with plastidip starting to show. I don't see what's wrong with it, and honestly I'd like to know if there are legitimate criticisms, even if I was a bit dismissive about it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Stock Salsa is not nearly as bad as this IMO:
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just trying to figure out why people don't like it because I can see the disgust with plastidip starting to show. I don't see what's wrong with it, and honestly I'd like to know if there are legitimate criticisms, even if I was a bit dismissive about it.
    I'm actually incredibly glad for this post, I've been wanting to paint my bike with a silver frame black and now I have an easy and easily reversible way to do it. Thanks for posting this Flucod.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Well, two things.

First off, I seem to be surrounded by a bunch of kids who were born in the mid 90's when this sort of thing was typical (and they don't like their bikes to look like Mom and Dad's outdoor gear of old).

Second, any color scheme that takes us far, FAR away from the aggro, Monster chugging, duderific, motocross, flat brim visual assault of "Kawasaki green on anything that ain't white" that the industry seems to be still so infatuated with, is a step in the right direction if you ask me.

And, three, I guess, kudos for DIY anything around here lately!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I actually like that!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you bought a case of this, you could choose new color(s) every time you ride. Salsa Beargrease Plasti Dipped!-image.jpeg
    And if you take a can or two along, you could leave some artistry along the way.
    Just stay out of the rain and don't crash on snow.

Quote Originally Posted by cfta View Post
    don't crash on snow.
    You kidding me? Crashing on snow would be a whole new level of artistry and ethereal "installations"! Love it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I dunno, I dig that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cfta View Post
    If you bought a case of this, you could choose new color(s) every time you ride. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	204 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	1048561
    And if you take a can or two along, you could leave some artistry along the way.
    Just stay out of the rain and don't crash on snow.
    Pretty soon your clothes would look all 80's and then that crash in the snow would really be impressive.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I did some pretty elaborate dazzle camo plasti-dip graphic work on my old car. Not trim pieces, but designs over the paint itself. It went on alright except for being hard to cleanly remove tape after multiple coats.

It's getting it off that becomes an issue. It might be fine on new paint, but my car had a bunch of chips and stuff that the plasti-dip would absolutely not come off of. I found that PB Blaster helped the 'dip come off, but there were some areas that just never budged.

That, and the 'Blaster stained the white 'dip pretty badly, so I would be nervous about getting wayward chain lube or grease near the non-black 'dip. I'd also be nervous about rock chips and leaning-the-bike-against-a-tree rub spots. Then again, touchups are easy.

I think the orange/pink looks pretty cool. But if you want to sorta-reversibly change the color of the "paint", plasti-dip is probably the best way to do so. Just don't get it in any crevices or non-smooth paint areas, because it won't come off easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    Pedal-powered tractor!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Goat View Post
    Doesn't that void the warranty on the frame???
    I wouldn't think so as you can just peel it off with your hand.

mtbr member
    The beargrease would actually look quite a bit better IMO if it was just entirely pink. The orange/pink combo just doesn't work. The black/orange isn't bad if you are an Oregon Sate or Oklahoma State fan.

How much weight does Plastidip add to a carbon frame? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a metal frame that you think looks good to start with?
    Last edited by 29ger; 02-15-2016 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Taylor Swift would approve of the Beargrease paint scheme, so you've got that going for you.

Salsa Beargrease Plasti Dipped!-grammys-2016-taylor-swift-02.jpg
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Pretty sure the difference in weight of a little plastidip is less than the difference between carbon and alloy. Arbor also rides better.

I love the orange and pink but can clearly understand why many people don't and don't blame them for wanting to change it. If we all liked the same color, car models would all come in 1 color. But they don't because people have preferences. It is a color, no one is right and no one is wrong. Just different preferences.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Well, two things.

First off, I seem to be surrounded by a bunch of kids who were born in the mid 90's when this sort of thing was typical (and they don't like their bikes to look like Mom and Dad's outdoor gear of old).

Second, any color scheme that takes us far, FAR away from the aggro, Monster chugging, duderific, motocross, flat brim visual assault of "Kawasaki green on anything that ain't white" that the industry seems to be still so infatuated with, is a step in the right direction if you ask me.

And, three, I guess, kudos for DIY anything around here lately!
    This is a great diatribe! As a car guy as well, I am so sick of the "flat brim" crowd that think they know everything about everything!

Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    that think they know everything about everything!
    Thanks.

Now get off my lawn, damn kids these days....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Why not just get the x1 and buy a bluto? The red/black is very nice.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Taylor Swift would approve of the Beargrease paint scheme, so you've got that going for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grammys-2016-taylor-swift-02.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	1050405

That's a much better visual that what comes to mind for me.
    Name:  Doug_Henning.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  59.9 KB