Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 209
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    233

    Salsa Beargrease

    They've shipped and are arriving at LBS, the Salsa Beargrease! Here is a photo of mine being built at the shop. Post a photo of yours as well. I can't wait for snow!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nakedbabytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    858
    That is interesting that they ship with the RD rim. I would have thought Marge Lites would be stock on the Salsa fat bike racer.

    That'll be a good looking machine after it's finished! Updates are required!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    233
    The shop owner s building up a bike with Marge Lites, powder coated yellow, carbon bars, Hope brakes, it'll be a trick bike when complete. I'll post photos of mine, and his bike as well.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GT554's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    The shop owner s building up a bike with Marge Lites, powder coated yellow, carbon bars, Hope brakes, it'll be a trick bike when complete. I'll post photos of mine, and his bike as well.
    Sounds like he's shooting for a 25-26 pound fatty.
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Carbon 1

    2009 Cannondale Super Six Red

    2013 Salsa Beargrease

    2012 Surly Pugsley

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    233
    I'll weigh mine at the shop when I pick it up. I've not ridden a 'regular' fat bike, so I won't know the difference between the two.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    37
    I'm planning on buying mine next week when they arrive at my shop. It will be my first fatty...I was thinking about the mukluk 2, and am planning on making a final decision when I can ride them side by side, but dang the bg looks sweet. (muk looks like it can run bud and lou, bg would be bud/nate for when speed is not the objective, but that seems like the only think pointing towards the muk. I'll probably end up with the beargrease!

  7. #7
    ...big and slow
    Reputation: Chromehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    I'll weigh mine at the shop when I pick it up. I've not ridden a 'regular' fat bike, so I won't know the difference between the two.
    We need to get all the Wichita Fatbikes together for the Global Fatbike Day ride on the 1st. Where do we ride? Millers Meadow? The dried up Little Arkansas River? I doubt that Air Capital will be ready to ride yet. Some urban fatbiking?
    Chromey

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    168
    what kind of hopes?
    i just ordered some race evo for my MUK....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    128
    I've almost made the decision to order a frame set. Can anyone help me decide between medium or small?

    I'm 5'8, 160 lbs. with average proportions but I don't actually know my inseam. I plan to build it with Rolling Darryl's and Husker Du's for year-round riding.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28
    The Mukluk's run quite big. I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam and quite average arm and leg length. I have a medium 2012 Mukluk 2 with a 100mm stem and feel quite stretched out. But the 2012 has the Salsa bend 2 11 degree bar which bends forward and then back keepong it closer to a straight or 5 degree bar. Could probably go to a 90mm stem. You may be between sizes or closer to a small. It would really be good if you could find one to ride. If you like to ride with a short stem, you could probably go with the medium.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NOBBY605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnymac View Post
    what kind of hopes?
    i just ordered some race evo for my MUK....
    Yu keeping that thing??? or getting a Beargrease??

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    233
    I'm 5'11, 160 lbs, 32" inseam, bought a medium complete build and fits fine, after 1 ride.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    168
    i'm waiting to hear back from you?
    i guess i am going to keep the MUK unless i can sell it for a good price....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ShamusWave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    273
    Waiting my frame to arrive!

    Will be build up with Sram X0, Rolling Darryls (orange), Hope hubs, Husker Dus, 3T carbon bar and seatpost, Selle Italia Flite, Middleburn cranks...

  15. #15
    Yukon Rider
    Reputation: Derek.Endress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    171
    Just found out my BG is on its way to the Yukon, shipping today.
    No radical changes as of yet to bike.

    Will start with:
    Full loop aluminum Jones bar

    Helva pedals
    45NRTH

    Full set of frame, seat and handlebar bike bags in Ballistic white material
    Custom Bicycle Bags from Porcelain Rocket

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by fat alberto View Post
    If you like to ride with a short stem, you could probably go with the medium.
    My road bike setup is a very compact frame with a long stem and it's just right for me so I think I'll go with the small Beargrease frame.

    How does a long stem affect handling on single track vs. a short stem?

    Edit: Just found a fitting chart here: Salsa Unveils 2013 Lineup – New Fatbikes, Travel Bikes, Gravel Racers & More - Bike Rumor

    I fall just below the recommended height range for a medium frame set. So my plan is to go with a small frame set, carbon setback seat post, and stem length of 90-110 mm or so.
    Last edited by FrY10cK; 11-20-2012 at 07:17 AM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,948
    Quote Originally Posted by FrY10cK View Post
    My road bike setup is a very compact frame with a long stem and it's just right for me so I think I'll go with the small Beargrease frame.

    How does a long stem affect handling on single track vs. a short stem?
    I cannot quantify this from a physics standpoint, however in real time the longer stem = slower and shorter = quicker.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28
    Can anybody give a ride report yet on their BG? Would love to hear about improvement in climbing efficiency of the BG versus a heavier fatbike.

    I have a BG on order, but still on the fence on whether the 3.5 pounds difference is worth the cost of the upgrade and the loss I will take on selling my Mukluk 2. I'm figuring that the BG will be 29.5 stock with pedals. My ML is currently 33 with pedals.

    The Mukluk 2 will never be able to ovecome the pound in the fork and the pound in the frame that the BG sheds, but I just read that a lighter cassette and chain netted someone a half pound reduction in their Mukluk. Maybe it is possible to get it down to a 2 pound difference.

  19. #19
    Big "T"
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    369
    all my parts have arrived. Large Beargrease frameset. XTR shifters, brakes, deraileurs, eThirteen double crank, hope hubs, Schlick 47mm rims, thomson post, salsa promoto bar and stem....

  20. #20
    Bad cat!
    Reputation: montana_ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    286
    have a BG on order, but still on the fence on whether the 3.5 pounds difference is worth the cost of the upgrade and the loss I will take on selling my Mukluk 2. I'm figuring that the BG will be 29.5 stock with pedals. My ML is currently 33 with pedals.
    Would never try to dissuade anyone from buying such a cool new toy, but you do have options with your (2012?) Muk 2 that will get you to Beargrease weights. None of the options are cheap, unfortunately. Mainly you can drop a pound plus in the fork getting a Carver carbon, and if you build a wheelset along the lines of Marge Lite/hope hubs/dt comps and put HuDu's or UL nates on you could lose 2-3lbs in rotation weight. Change the cassette, put a light bar and seat on, and you'd be there.

    The plus side is that you can set up the bike porky for the winter, and switch to the summer dress and presto, like having a brand new bike. The downside is it's not a brand new bike. The geo, however, is basically identical between '12 Muk and '13 BG according to Salsa...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottytheoneandonly View Post
    all my parts have arrived. Large Beargrease frameset. XTR shifters, brakes, deraileurs, eThirteen double crank, hope hubs, Schlick 47mm rims, thomson post, salsa promoto bar and stem....
    thats gonna be light

    awaiting pics and specs once done !!!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    Would never try to dissuade anyone from buying such a cool new toy, but you do have options with your (2012?) Muk 2 that will get you to Beargrease weights. None of the options are cheap, unfortunately. Mainly you can drop a pound plus in the fork getting a Carver carbon, and if you build a wheelset along the lines of Marge Lite/hope hubs/dt comps and put HuDu's or UL nates on you could lose 2-3lbs in rotation weight. Change the cassette, put a light bar and seat on, and you'd be there.
    Thanks Montana for thr suggestion on the fork. Hadn't known about the carbon Carver. I see that it is lighter than the BG fork, fits on the 2012 Muk 2 and is really not that expensive. Feel a lot better now about the potentail for getting my Muk's weight down.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    802
    What's the MSRP on the Beargrease?
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

  24. #24
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,686
    A lot of the hype around this bike was the weight, can anyone confirm the stock Meds are actually 28lb ?

    I reckon they look awesome, those blue wheels are sensational !
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTR2ebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    A lot of the hype around this bike was the weight, can anyone confirm the stock Meds are actually 28lb ?

    I reckon they look awesome, those blue wheels are sensational !
    Cycle haven weighed their XL, 29 lbs.

    I'm sure they will be getting a medium soon.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •