Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Decided to throw my BG on the scale tonight. Definitely a light fat bike (28lbs, 3oz), but I did think it was going to be lighter based on the upgrades I have made.

These are my changes from stock:

X9 Trigger shifters
    Formula R1 Racing brakes
    Ashima 160/140 rotors
    Easton EC90 Zero Seatpost
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Easton EC70 XC Wide Flat bar
    ESI Chunky Grips
    KCNC seatpost Collar
    Syntace F109 stem (75mm)
    Cane Creek 110 series headset

Pedals: Egg Beater 2ti with short titanium spindles
    Profile Designs Carbon Cage
    Garmin Mount on stem

I have ordered a set of Q-Tubes superlight presta tubes (should drop significant weight)
    ordered an arundel side loader for the seat tube
    Also will upgrade the cassette and throw on a new chain before Barry Roubaix (gravel road race) in March.

Admittedly, I am a bit of a weight weenie. Logically, I know that a losing few grams aren't going to increase my enjoyment of this bike...

Fat & Single
    Mnyquist, thats an impressive list of upgrades, i would have thought it would have been lighter that that too.
    Sounds like you need to try another set of scales ? What size is the bike ?

The Q's are just over 200g so will save you a good bit even over DH tubes.

I run Arundel Dave-O's on all bikes, never tried their side loaders, awesome cages !
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    ozzybmx, the frame is a medium. Not sure why it isn't lighter. I will weigh it again when I throw the Q-tubes in.

Fat & Single
    Im just surprised going on your upgrades, carbon seat/bars/post, formula R1's with ashimas, ti wife beaters ect.... somebody scales are telling porkies.

If you have surly tubes in there those babies weigh haffa kilo each, the q's will lose you about 600g, that drops you to 27lb (if you are running surlys), its just strange as you cant go much lighter except changing wheels and they are only 170g per wheel heavier than margeLites, 320g all up

I would have definately thought it would have been a good 1.5lb lighter than it is. As you said, it wont take anything away from the enjoyment, they are an awesome looking bike, get out and ride
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    I agree, ozzybmx. Have been getting 4-5 rides a week on this bike since I got it. Love the bike. Gravel, singletrack, snow.

I am still using the Surly tubes, so that should help.

Using a park digital scale to weigh it.

mtbr member
    Hi. How long brake hoses do your Beargreases have? I have ordered a large BG, and I'm wondering if 1500 mm rear brake hose will be long enough.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT hm, my 20" Pugs seems to have a 1500 mm rear brake hose, with enough length to do barspins. Sorry, stupid Q
    Last edited by kyttyra; 01-11-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    Mnyquist, remember that you weighed the pedals too. Most reported weights are sans pedals as they vary greatly and personal tastes differ. Switch tubes and subtract pedal weight and you're in line with what others are reporting....... Great job!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I also have a Beargrease (small) and my dealer put it on his scale as it came out of the box. It weighed 28Lbs 14 oz on his Park scale. That was with no pedals but with the wheel reflectors. I question some of the claimed weights I see in this thread or maybe mine is a porker.

Yukon Rider
    Wow! I am, as I write this, replacing both tubes with thinner DH ones and saving 145g per wheel. The Surly tubes the BG came with are 518g vs. the Axiom FreeRide, avg'd 373g per tube!! (between the 2; one was 372g and the other was 374g for the bean counters out there) Will ride tonight to make sure they set themselves properly yet right now all looks pretty good! 290g gone just like that for a 30 buck investment

2015 Salsa BearGrease Aluminum w/carbon fork

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    And the Qtubes super lights at $9.95 each are 208g apiece or mine were at least which would save ya 300+ more........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    Wow! I am, as I write this, replacing both tubes with thinner DH ones and saving 145g per wheel. The Surly tubes the BG came with are 518g vs. the Axiom FreeRide, avg'd 373g per tube!! (between the 2; one was 372g and the other was 374g for the bean counters out there) Will ride tonight to make sure they set themselves properly yet right now all looks pretty good! 290g gone just like that for a 30 buck investment
    Please try to weigh your ft. wheel when you can. I'm curious if my tubeless set up is lighter. I'm running the stock hub & rotor for now.
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Carbon 1

2009 Cannondale Super Six Red

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheatrock View Post
    I also have a Beargrease (small) and my dealer put it on his scale as it came out of the box. It weighed 28Lbs 14 oz on his Park scale. That was with no pedals but with the wheel reflectors. I question some of the claimed weights I see in this thread or maybe mine is a porker.
    yeah, you're wheels are a porker. As others have just stated, you can save nearly a pound with different tubes. The Salsa hubs are heavy, you can loose another pound there. I drilled out my Holy Rolling Daryll's further and lost 1/4th of a pound, but a lot of these guys are running the Marge Lights or even 40-50mm rim (which to my mind rules them out as true fat bikes, but whatever) and that's going to save pounds as well.

I don't have any doubt that someone with enough money could get a Beargrease down to 24 pounds even with 80mm rims and gears if they wanted to. Short of that, a lot of smaller, cheaper things can shave off a substantial amount.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554 View Post
    Please try to weigh your ft. wheel when you can. I'm curious if my tubeless set up is lighter.
    I did the math Q-Tubes UL are lighter than tubeless: Tubeless vs tubes??

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    Just weighed my front wheel for ya...
    6lb12oz(3061g) with the Qtubes superlight 2.4-2.7 and a wrap of pirate duct tape on the existing rim strip.stock skewer. So what's your tubeless front weigh GT554?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheatrock View Post
    That's more of a realistic weight. Mine is a medium and weighs 28.4lbs. That's with hope hubs and Schlick rims too. I. Sure 26lbs is possible but it costs.

mtbr member
    I weighed a stock medium with fairly light platform pedals, it was 30.3 lbs.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    I did the math Q-Tubes UL are lighter than tubeless: Tubeless vs tubes??
    I did it on 2 sets of wheels. Tubeless is lighter
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

gone walk about
    i'm lighter so
    plus+, plus+ = win:

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    I did it on 2 sets of wheels. Tubeless is lighter
    How did you set up your tubeless wheels specifically?

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    How did you set up your tubeless wheels specifically?
    I hope a whole thread is specific enough
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    New Beargrease with Marge Lites...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjkyhl View Post
    New Beargrease with Marge Lites...

Looks great! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My front

Quote Originally Posted by Brogrease View Post
    6lb12oz(3061g) with the Qtubes superlight 2.4-2.7 and a wrap of pirate duct tape on the existing rim strip.stock skewer. So what's your tubeless front weigh GT554?
    Just weighed my front wheel. 5.82 Lbs 2640G Ghetto tubeless with two scoops of Stans. 3/8 drilled out spoke holes, ti rotor bolts, stock rotor, with skewer.

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy View Post
    Just weighed my front wheel. 5.82 Lbs 2640G Ghetto tubeless with two scoops of Stans. 3/8 drilled out spoke holes, ti rotor bolts, stock rotor, with skewer.
    Mother effer! That's awesome..... Next project and love to see a picture of the drilled spoke holes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy View Post
    That's really light for a powder coated darryl, what are you scooping stans with a teaspoon?
    Last edited by GTR2ebike; 01-13-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Yukon Rider

BG ready for trippin'!

This will be my second and longest solo ride; the first on the BG with Scott Felter's Porcelain Rocket bags. I just recieved the TTbags Front and Rear, and the Framebag to complete the set. Just got back from a short ride to test the weight and performance of the bike and am pretty excited to say the least.

What a difference from the Muk3 loaded with panniers. Huge difference with a tighter feel with traction and responsiveness over all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Beargrease-dsc_0002.jpg  

Salsa Beargrease-dsc_0007.jpg  

Salsa Beargrease-dsc_0009.jpg  

Salsa Beargrease-dsc_0011.jpg  

Salsa Beargrease-dsc_0019.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have to bring it to my friend's shop. I don't keep a scale around, it's the most dangerous "tool" you can own.
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Carbon 1

2009 Cannondale Super Six Red

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Free weight savings

Mother effer! That's awesome..... Next project and love to see a picture of the drilled spoke holes.
    Anybody know how to upload a photo with an iPad? When I try to do it the four select file buttons are greed out.

all about the all about
    This will be my second and longest solo ride; the first on the BG with Scott Felter's Porcelain Rocket bags. I just recieved the TTbags Front and Rear, and the Framebag to complete the set. Just got back from a short ride to test the weight and performance of the bike and am pretty excited to say the least.

What a difference from the Muk3 loaded with panniers. Huge difference with a tighter feel with traction and responsiveness over all!
    Very nice! Where do you plan on keeping water?
    .. If I see this bike on display with those GT bars, I am bringing my hacksaw!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice set up Derek.

Yukon Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Om Flyer View Post
    Very nice! Where do you plan on keeping water?
    Thanks, here is a breakdown for gear, food and water
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Beargrease-screen-shot-2013-01-13-12.48.59-pm.jpg  

Fat & Single
    Looks awesome Derek ! You've got it well planned out too.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

all about the all about
    Thanks, here is a breakdown for gear, food and water
    That's a great set-up and Major geek points for the spreadsheet!
    I'm not sure of my percentage but handling is always best with as little weight on the bars as possible. Killer rig! Have fun!
    .. If I see this bike on display with those GT bars, I am bringing my hacksaw!!

mtbr member
    Interesting BG!
    So do you prefer the hanging bags to panniers? I haven't bought racks for my pugs yet and am contemplating the options for touring.

Yukon Rider

bags or panniers

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Interesting BG!
    So do you prefer the hanging bags to panniers? I haven't bought racks for my pugs yet and am contemplating the options for touring.
    Hands down to bike packing bags! Less to go wrong ie. racks breaking on difficult terrain, easy to load, and forces one to really pay attention to what one actually needs with them for self sufficient adventures! Had racks on my previous Muk3 and it was too easy to take a couple extras BG does not have much in the way of braze-ons to keep the weight down. I am pretty close to my winter packing goal for 3-4 day trip of 75lbs; including bike, bags, and backpack weighed before packing them

Do some snooping around and definitely check out MTBR forums for bikepacking as well as bikepacking.net to see other set ups.

Good luck NBT!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Do you attribute the tighter feel to the frame bags v. panniers?

Your setup looks great!
    Latitude 61

Yukon Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Do you attribute the tighter feel to the frame bags v. panniers?

Your setup looks great!
    Thanks, yes to put it simply with fatbikes traveling slower then touring bikes I am now realizing the pannier loads had more opportunity to be felt as one would get rack sway. Maybe I just noticed the bike wobble more with weight, yet with packs on BG everything feels more centered and part of the actual frame even with the handlebar and seat bag as they are pulled in to the bars, seat tube and frame snuggly.

The Muk with front and rear racks loaded for a 5 day adventure would start to get speed wobble esp. on bermed uphill/downhill (caused by snowmobiles accelerating up hill leaving consistent crests and troughs that can be quite short or long, shallow or deep, depending on snow accumulation, pitch and length of hill (and we have our fair share here). A pain to climb, esp. when standing, as weight gets transitioned side to side, (like trying to ride a windblown lake uphill) The crazy ride is when a loaded bike with weighted panniers is carrying inertia downhill on these with snow underfoot. Some descents have been hang on for life and see what kind of excitement, or carnage ensues!

So far the Bear feels solid underneath. Another critical component to stay on top of is air pressure which I am now quite cognizant of!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Image not working
    Last edited by DSTONGE; 01-14-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: image not working

mtbr member
    May 2005

Salsa Beargrease

Well, after resisting the fat bike urge for the past three seasons I finally broke. I test rode just about everything but a Carver and just kept coming back to the Beargrease. I've gotten about 6 good snow rides in the past 2 weeks and I'm hooked. What a great ride!

My size large weighed 29.15lbs with cheap platform pedals that they threw at the shop for the test ride. Only changes I've made so far are a Thomson post and stem, new saddle and a Revelate Tangle Bag. Have a set of QTubes to swap in but haven gotten around to it yet. I reversed the direction of the rear HUDU which made a noticeable difference in traction in the deep stuff.

Here are a few pics from earlier today. Sorry about the crappy iPhone shots.

Last edited by igere; 02-04-2013 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member

Beargrease list of parts

LIST OF PARTS ON 25 pound BEARGREASE
    Niner RDO bar uncut
    xo 2x10 grip shift
    chunky esi grips cut down
    hope fatsno hubs and marge lites
    specialized downhill tubes
    xo rear der
    xt cass 12-36
    xo front der
    master piece seatpost
    flite TT sadle
    xx disc brakes newer design 2012
    160/180 rotors and ti bolts everywere i could put them
    husker 120 tpi dus

Quote Originally Posted by besoft View Post
    with out pedals, 2x10 and downhill tubes
    ONCE YOU RIDE FAT U WONT GO BACK!

mtbr member
    It seems that I'll still have two months to wait, so my BG is still mostly on Excel sheet Question marks: weight of the crankset. I figured that Middleburns or Race Faces (with BB/cups) in single ring setup should not weigh more than 900 g. Hopefully the Air will not weigh more that 100 g

It seems that <12 kg is possible without blowing up the budget.
    Last edited by kyttyra; 02-03-2013 at 12:19 AM.

mtbr member
    I can weight Middleburns, when longer axle arrives and I change them from my wifes Mukluk to my Beargrease.

Jus a pic...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamusWave View Post
    I can weight Middleburns, when longer axle arrives and I change them from my wifes Mukluk to my Beargrease.

Jus a pic...

That is one SWEEEEEEEET ride you got there!!! I'm thinking about giving my Muk 2 to my son, and getting a BG next year....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here is my Beargrese.
    Regards from germany
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Beargrease-dscn3716.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Weighed my large today... 28.47lbs without the frame bag. Only changes from stock are the thomson post & stem, fizik antares saddle and xtr pedals. Should drop a bit more once I swap tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schnellerpfeil View Post
    Here is my Beargrese.
    Regards from germany
    Details please! If you're so inclined. I'm building my Beargrease now and am well aware of the clearance issues front and rear. Still, I've read of a successful 100mm rim on the back with full ten cog access.

Even going by the Salsa specs, I could put a 100mm rim and Bud 4.8" tire up front and run something skinnier in the back. Any advice?

We're getting a foot of snow in a few days so I'm thinking full float now instead of the light weight build I initially planned on.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FrY10cK View Post
    Details please! If you're so inclined. I'm building my Beargrease now and am well aware of the clearance issues front and rear. Still, I've read of a successful 100mm rim on the back with full ten cog access.

Even going by the Salsa specs, I could put a 100mm rim and Bud 4.8" tire up front and run something skinnier in the back. Any advice?

We're getting a foot of snow in a few days so I'm thinking full float now instead of the light weight build I initially planned on.
    Here are details...
    Frame: Beargrease XL
    Stem: Truvativ
    Handlebar: Truvativ Noir
    Brakes: Brakeforce one
    Shifter: Shimano XT
    Front derailleur: XT direkt mount
    Cassette: XT 11-34
    Rear derailleur: XTR
    Saddle: SLR TT
    Seatpost: Saso Carbon 400mm
    Rims: Clow Shoe
    Hubs: Hope Fatsno
    Tire: Nate
    Tubes: Conti FR
    Spokes: Sapim Laser/D-Light with Polyax Alu Nipples
    Crankset: MWOD with Moonlander Axle
    Pedal : Acros Flat SL

Weight : 13.3kg

i can shift all gears without chain rubbing. Only i have a small problem with the front derailleur. The Monnlander Axle is to long. The cage from the front derailleur did not rotate wide enougt. I mount the 2,5mm spacer on the left side. It works, but is not perfekt. I must mount the 1mm spacer between the crankarm and the Chainrings . The cage from front derailleur scratch at the crank arm. Sorry for my english!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schnellerpfeil View Post
    Crankset: MWOD with Moonlander Axle
    Weight : 13.3kg

i can shift all gears without chain rubbing. Only i have a small problem with the front derailleur. The Monnlander Axle is to long.
    Your English is excellent. Do you know how long your moonlander spindle is? I'm just curious as I plan to go with a 1 x 10 or 1 x11 drive train so I don't care about the front derailleur.

I'm almost ready to buy my Clown Shoe rims and Hope 130/170mm hubs. Haven't decided on spokes yet but many people say to avoid alloy nipples due to corrosion. I'm thinking about prepping with boiled linseed oil, then spritzing the nipples periodically with Amzoil HDMP (Heavy Duty Metal Protector). I love that suff.

Any experience to share from your Sapim Laser/D-Light with Polyax Alu Nipple build up? I love the look of the Clown Shoes and Nates. I've actually got your picture set as my desktop background.
    Last edited by FrY10cK; 02-10-2013 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So I just snagged up a BG frame all that was left was a small and Im hoping it fits...Im just a smidgen under 5'8" but I do have a super short inseam (29" flat footed) for almost all brands Im inbetween sizes but I figure with a 90-100 stem for flat bars it should be a decent fit? (I ride a 52 roadie and med 29ers with 70-80 stems)

Im also considering running drops on my BG so I figure the small will help...Im just hoping there won't be any toe overlap.

mtbr member

Salsa Beargrease

Will be swapping the stock wheels for a Schlick/Hope setup with Q-tubes and an XX Cassette for a gravel grinder in March. Anxious to see what it weighs. I am keeping the stock wheels for snow. I will run the HuDus on the Schlick wheels. Not sure what tires I should use on the 80mm rims...any suggestions?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast