Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Chainring protection

I have had my beargrease a few weeks abd love it. I'm looking to protect my chainring from logs and rocks. Any one have any ideas what would work best for this bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamusWave View Post
    Brakes are 185mm
    What brake calipers are you using?

I have a Beargrease frame on order and I'm baffled by the fact that it has 51mm I.S. brake mounts while all the new high-end brakes seem to be post mount. I may even have to start a new thread about this.

Until then, can anyone recommend brakes for a light Beargrease build?

mtbr member
    I have Sram X0 -brakes

and posing pic from today...

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrY10cK View Post
    Until then, can anyone recommend brakes for a light Beargrease build?
    I am only installing the rear brake. I have seen a couple racers do this at the Triple-D in Dubuque. I figure the snow does a pretty good job of stopping me, and I only plan on riding it in the snow or sand (maybe). I will evaluate if it is sufficient for winter trail use.

@ShamusWave: I think that was the first time in my life that a photo made me wish it was colder and snowier outside!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The rear brake only thing sounds like it might work for racing a fat bike.

But I frequently go down steep rocky trails carrying a heavy load. I need good modulation both front and rear.
    Last edited by FrY10cK; 12-08-2012 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Best fat bike? Recommendations?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Best fat bike? I think it depends on what you want to do with it. Mukluks have rack mounts, Beargrease does not, but its a lighter bike.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Replacing a few parts on my BG soon. X7 shifters are being replaced with X9. Brakes are being dumped for some Formula R1 Racing brakes. Seatpost swapped for an Easton EC90 zero setback. I will also be swapping the saddle for a Selle Italia SLR kit Carbonio flow. Upgrades should be complete before Christmas.

mtbr member
    shamus, that looks like a nice build!
    1X
    hope hubs
    and middle burn cranks?
    that bad boy MUST be light....
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

Yukon Rider

upgrading hydraulic brakes on BG

Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    Replacing a few parts on my BG soon. X7 shifters are being replaced with X9. Brakes are being dumped for some Formula R1 Racing brakes. Seatpost swapped for an Easton EC90 zero setback. I will also be swapping the saddle for a Selle Italia SLR kit Carbonio flow. Upgrades should be complete before Christmas.
    Can you give feedback once you have the Formula's you are replacing as I am not happy with the Avids that were supplied with standard build on the BearGrease! I am planning on using the Bear for year round bikepacking/multi day trips and need a brake system I can rely on as out terrain is quite unforgiving. ie. some pretty steep descents with a load...

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight (regular tweaks)

mtbr member
    I will be sure to follow up with my opinion on the R1s. I have used them on a FS 29rr and a HT 29er and have found them to be powerful and reliable. A bit grabby. I am 145lbs and run . 160/140mm. Advice on this forum pointed to hope brakes, but I won an EBay auction on the formulas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just got my Beargrease Wednesday, first ride today @ New Fane trails in the Northern Kettles in WI.

Awesome

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was finally able to do a test ride of a beargrease at a salsa demo day; certainly has made me want to get a fat bike now!

mtbr member
    Salsa Beargrease-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355669853.378241.jpg
    Salsa Beargrease-imageuploadedbytapatalk1355669869.246856.jpg

New seatpost and saddle installed. X9 shifters and new headset next (had some issues with the stock one.) brakes are next!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    mnyquist,

What headset do you choose? My Beargrease frame set should be here this week and I'm looking to do a light weight build.

I can only afford the Formula RX brakes and I've been looking at light weight rotors. I've read about problems with the KCNC ones. I haven't decided on 180mm or 160mm.

mtbr member
    Cane creek 110, per my LBS recommendation.

I was looking at RX brakes, as well but went with R1 because I won an Ebay auction (R1 racing).

I have used Ashima rotors with formula brakes in the past with good results. My last HT 29er had R1 with Ashima 160/140. I have read that you should use sintered pads, however. I used the stock organic pads...they did make some noise, but power was good. I will be using 160/140 Ashima on my BG, as well.

Keep us posted on your build!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    Keep us posted on your build!
    Thank you for the info. I'm afraid I won't have much to report until spring as I buy a few part each month. I'll be ready for next winter though!

viva la v-brakes!
    I thought I would wait to post until I had a few miles on mine (and I was out on a daylight ride, man the days are short right now!).

Built this up from the frame. Comes in at 26.1 lbs as pictures. I have a Carver fork on order though so it should be sub-26 when its done. That's with the Rolling Daryll front and rear.

Turns out the Ti seatpost is a little to springy for use on this bike, I get some serious pedal bob. I think its amplifying the effect of the tire. So I'm switching that out. I'm also going to switch to a longer (130mm) stem. I like my weight forward on a snowbike for better rear wheel float.... but a small frame might be too small for me, stuck with it cause all the mediums are sold out!

So far, its proving a lot more capable than my old bike in today's 'extreme' conditions of 6-7" of heavy wet snow. Turning is difficult, but in a straight line or gentle turn it just plows right through the stuff.

My only complaint about the bike is the finish of the frame. Its too coarse, so mud sticks to it and its really hard to scrub off. A snow bike should be polished so you can wax it and keep snow (and/or mud) from building up in wet conditions. I tried to was the frame, but I don't think it worked very well. As you can see in the photo, I should have waxed the wheels!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Beargrease-snowbike2.jpg  

mtbr member
    What's that thing sticking out of your stem?
    Nice Bike!

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    What's that thing sticking out of your stem?
    Nice Bike!
    That would be every spare headset spacer I own. I can't wait for the Carver fork to get here!

all about the all about
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post

My only complaint about the bike is the finish of the frame. Its too coarse, so mud sticks to it and its really hard to scrub off. A snow bike should be polished so you can wax it and keep snow (and/or mud) from building up in wet conditions. I tried to was the frame, but I don't think it worked very well. As you can see in the photo, I should have waxed the wheels!
    You need to Grease that Bear...Try Pedros Bike Lust or good old Pam cooking spray...spray on, buff and ride. I would think snow and mud would not stand a chance.
    .. If I see this bike on display with those GT bars, I am bringing my hacksaw!!

Yukon Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    I thought I would wait to post until I had a few miles on mine (and I was out on a daylight ride, man the days are short right now!).

Built this up from the frame. Comes in at 26.1 lbs as pictures. I have a Carver fork on order though so it should be sub-26 when its done. That's with the Rolling Daryll front and rear.

Turns out the Ti seatpost is a little to springy for use on this bike, I get some serious pedal bob. I think its amplifying the effect of the tire. So I'm switching that out. I'm also going to switch to a longer (130mm) stem. I like my weight forward on a snowbike for better rear wheel float.... but a small frame might be too small for me, stuck with it cause all the mediums are sold out!

So far, its proving a lot more capable than my old bike in today's 'extreme' conditions of 6-7" of heavy wet snow. Turning is difficult, but in a straight line or gentle turn it just plows right through the stuff.

How much lighter is the Carver fork. My small is perfect although the Porcelain Rocket frame bag that is on its way may be a bit on the small side as there is not too much room there. Will have to try the wax on wheels

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight (regular tweaks)

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    How much lighter is the Carver fork.:
    Claimed weight for the Beargrease fork is 720g, mine weighted in at roughly 735. Claimed weight on the Carver fork (and measured by a bunch of people so I believe its pretty close) is 576 g. So 150-160 grams lighter, about 1/3rd pound! I've heard very good things about the ride quality of the Carver fork too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Om Flyer View Post
    Try Pedros Bike Lust or good old Pam cooking spray...spray on, buff and ride.
    Brilliant!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast