Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here's mine.

Full XT 180 mm ICe TEch Rotors with e13 Cranks, Hope Hubs, ENVE Bar, Thomson Stem/post, Ergon Grips, Marge Lites with Supercomp spokes
    Downhill Tubes, Tune Speedneedle Saddle, 45North Pedals

27 Lbs 10 OZ with everything ready to ride - size Large
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Beargrease-image.jpg  

Fat & Single
    Nice Morrisond, youve got a few nice bits lightening it up there too.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Yukon Rider

Chasing Shadows

Put this together last night and this morning with the help of my 14 year old son Zakary! Conditions were perfect for the BEAR and the ride was a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by Derek.Endress; 02-13-2013 at 12:01 PM.

2015 Salsa BearGrease Aluminum w/carbon fork

mtbr member

Salsa Beargrease

OK, so this is, admittedly, a weight weenie build. New wheels, tubes and cassette have dropped significant weight. This will be my gravel grinder/summer set up. 25lbs 1oz.

Wheels do reduce tire volume quite a bit, but should roll nice on hardpack/gravel (majority of my riding)

Schlick 47mm rims with Hope hubs/skewers
    SRAM XX 11-36 cassette
    Q tubes light
    Formula R1 Racing brakes
    Ashima rotors (160/140)
    Easton EC90 zero seatpost
    EastonEC70 CX wide flat bar
    Syntace F109 stem
    ESI chunky grips
    120tpi HuDus
    Egg beater 2ti with short Ti spindles
    Garmin mount on stem
    SRAM X9 shifters
    KCNC seatpost collar

Salsa Beargrease-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360986397.058151.jpg
    Salsa Beargrease-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360986413.095286.jpg
    Salsa Beargrease-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360986428.627960.jpg

wms
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Morrisond (or others with similar experience), how did you remove the decals (or paint?) from your frame and did it have any negative effect on the anodizing? I tried heating with a blowdryer followed by an application of goo gone with absolutely no success. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Lots of Acetone and cotton cloths - came right off - no effect on anno- if your shy with the Acetone you may be left with Ghosting- try it on the graphic under BB-DT first to practise

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
    Lots of Acetone and cotton cloths - came right off - no effect on anno- if your shy with the Acetone you may be left with Ghosting- try it on the graphic under BB-DT first to practise
    a fairly hot chemical for most applications but if the anno can handle it cool.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    At last, my new to me 19" Beargrease. You have probably seen this frame earlier (with orange parts)

The wheelset comprises of Hope hubs, DT Comps and Marge Lites. Schwalbe 13F tubes, DIY rim strips and 120 tpi Knards. I chose 65 mm rims as I already have a Pug with 82 mm rims and Alfine (for crappy weather/winter, barhopping etc) and the rounder/narrower profile would be nicer when riding single track, for example. Originally I thought of using HuDus or Escalators, but they were not available from LBS, and in any case, the internet says that they wear faster than Knards. In any case, I'm satisfied with the Knards (although they are a little porkier that UL HuDus): the ride feels nice and they seem to roll well (at least when compared with Larry, Endo or Nate).

Brakes are Avid Elixir 9's with 180/160 mm brake discs. Perhaps there would have been lighter/better alternatives, but I found this particular set from a nice discount and I had used Avid brakes earlier and had been satisfied with them.

The drivetrain is quite basic (except for those beautiful Middleburn crankset): a Shimano XT 9 speed cassette, Shimano chain, Sram X7 shifter & derailleur and a Paul chain keeper. The pedals are Superstar Components' Mag/Ti WW thingies. So far everything is working well enough.

The cockpit is Ritchey C260, Ritchey WCS Trail Carbon bar (720 mm w/9 degrees backsweep which seems to be good for my wrists) and Procraft foam grips.

As for the seating: SDG I-beam seatpost and SDG Formula FX saddle. Not the lightest or flashiest there is, but reliable and very comfortable.

Other things: with liberal use of acetone, I have removed most of the decals. Now considering whether I should keep the frame as it is, or kill it entirely

All in all, I like this bike very much, it feels fast and stable. Maybe the bottom bracket could be a little higher, but I think I can live with it - and in any case, it's much easier to bunnyhop with this bike than with my Pugs

The bike weighs in at 11,86 kg/26,15 lbs.

EDIT: After ditching the chain keeper and shortening the brake hoses, at the LBS's scale: 11,76 kg/25,93 lbs. As soon the Ai2 brake discs arrive, the weight should drop to 11,69 kg/25,77 lbs, after which I'm hopefully done.
    Last edited by kyttyra; 06-10-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 3