Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Cycle haven weighed their XL, 29 lbs.

I'm sure they will be getting a medium soon.
    Thats pretty good then. The Med will be in the ballpark hopefully.

Is the 29lb with pedals ?
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Thats pretty good then. The Med will be in the ballpark hopefully.

Is the 29lb with pedals ?
    No pedals if I recall from reading their Facebook page correctly.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Sell '12 Muk 2 for '13 BG?

I thought long and hard about that. I rode the BG this summer. Is it AWESOME--loved it for single track fun. I also rode the Spearfish and others at the same time. If you are looking for a do-it-most bike for trail and snow, the BG is pretty sweet.

I tried to figure the $$$ I would need to pony up when selling the Muk2 and buying the BG. It was pretty close to $1000. Maybe more, maybe less, depending on the deals you can swing and your buyer.

In the end I decided not to go for it. The BG is really cool; if I didn't have a fat-bike I'd buy it over the MUK2.

Of course, I also like the cheaper Surly offerings for nearly half the dough...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Cycle haven weighed their XL, 29 lbs.

I'm sure they will be getting a medium soon.
    I bought one of the mediums from Derrick at Cycle Haven. Adding a couple of personal touches to it. Probably pick it up next week some time. I'll let you know the true weight set up tubeless.

He has a couple more mediums if anyone wants one...a small & a couple of XLs too!
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Carbon 1

2009 Cannondale Super Six Red

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MadTony View Post
    I'm planning on buying mine next week when they arrive at my shop. It will be my first fatty...I was thinking about the mukluk 2, and am planning on making a final decision when I can ride them side by side, but dang the bg looks sweet. (muk looks like it can run bud and lou, bg would be bud/nate for when speed is not the objective, but that seems like the only think pointing towards the muk. I'll probably end up with the beargrease!
    Rode the bg yesterday. Amazing looking bike, and I loved how it felt. Deposit placed. I pick it up tomorrow! That's something to be thankful for!

Big "T"
    Nov 2004

Beargrease frameset Large
    XTR deraileurs, shifters brake levers & calipers
    XT cassette, chain and rotors
    eThirteen double (from fatbikes.com.. this is the old style crank arm & bb)
    Hope Hubs
    Schlick rims 47mm (wheelset was built by Schlick in Milwaukee)
    Cane Creek headset (40 upper, 110 lower)
    Salsa Pro Moto stem (110)
    Salsa Pro Moto carbon bar
    Salsa skewers
    Salsa seat collar
    Thomson elite post
    Flite Ti saddle
    Crank Bros 3 pedals

This bike weighs just barely over 27lbs with pedals and everything you see in the picture.

The two reasons I didn't buy a stock Beargrease was that I don't like Sram 10sp and I didn't want the heavy wheelset that comes stock.

I'm using a Larry and Endo tire combo with tubes. Still waiting for the new batch of 45Nrth tires, which I will run tubeless. I'm also going to swap out the stem for a Thomson and replace the saddle with an SLR.

This bike could be a lot lighter. I decided to save a few dollars on rotors, cassette and chain and use XT. That meant a heavier cassette. But this bike will see a lot of gravel roads this winter and plenty of wet riding. I knew I'd thrash the cassette and chain, so the prospect of ruining $400 worth of drivechain in under 16wks made me err on the side of value instead of weight. For my neck of the woods I could also get away with a 1x10 and save half a pound at least. But I plan to do all of the Great Lakes Fat Bike Series races as well as some fun riding in the northcountry this winter and I know I'll need a granny to get through it. I had originally purchased a Carver O'Beast fork. Its 200grams lighter than the Beargrease fork. But after riding a Beargrease Demo bike I decided against using the Carver. There are also lighter bits and pieces out there.. like carbon posts and ti pedals. However, I've long been riding a combo of Thomson/Salsa parts and stainless steel pedals. I think it's the best combination of value/durability/weight.

On single track this bike handles an awful lot like my Mamasita hardtail (which has the same drivetrain & brakes). Handling is like a hardtail mountain bike and much different from the Stock 2011 Mukluk 3 I was riding last winter. The Schlick rims, even with heavy wire bead tires and tubes make the wheels feel amazingly light. They also narrow the contact patch a lot, which makes for better rolling on gravel roads. The Beargrease fork is amazingly stiff. Stiffer than any of the carbon fat forks available and lighter than all but one of them. The tapered headtube and steerer are a big part of that. I've used many rigid forks on my 29ers over the years, everything from a Niner to White Bros to several custom steel ones. This fork is the best rigid one I've ever had. The Beargrease frame is also amazingly stiff. The drawn tubing and wide bb and headtube make this bike feel like riding a high end MTB. Compared to all the steel frames (stock & custom) and even last year's Muks this thing is hands down the best fatbike I've ever pedalled.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottytheoneandonly View Post

Hope Hubs
    Salsa skewers
    Salsa seat collar
    Thomson elite post
    Flite Ti saddle
    Crank Bros 3 pedals

This bike weighs just barely over 27lbs with pedals and everything you see in the picture.

The two reasons I didn't buy a stock Beargrease was that I don't like Sram 10sp and I didn't want the heavy wheelset that comes stock.

I'm using a Larry and Endo tire combo with tubes. Still waiting for the new batch of 45Nrth tires, which I will run tubeless. I'm also going to swap out the stem for a Thomson and replace the saddle with an SLR.

This bike could be a lot lighter. I decided to save a few dollars on rotors, cassette and chain and use XT. That meant a heavier cassette. But this bike will see a lot of gravel roads this winter and plenty of wet riding. I knew I'd thrash the cassette and chain, so the prospect of ruining $400 worth of drivechain in under 16wks made me err on the side of value instead of weight. For my neck of the woods I could also get away with a 1x10 and save half a pound at least. But I plan to do all of the Great Lakes Fat Bike Series races as well as some fun riding in the northcountry this winter and I know I'll need a granny to get through it. I had originally purchased a Carver O'Beast fork. Its 200grams lighter than the Beargrease fork. But after riding a Beargrease Demo bike I decided against using the Carver. There are also lighter bits and pieces out there.. like carbon posts and ti pedals. However, I've long been riding a combo of Thomson/Salsa parts and stainless steel pedals. I think it's the best combination of value/durability/weight.

On single track this bike handles an awful lot like my Mamasita hardtail (which has the same drivetrain & brakes). Handling is like a hardtail mountain bike and much different from the Stock 2011 Mukluk 3 I was riding last winter. The Schlick rims, even with heavy wire bead tires and tubes make the wheels feel amazingly light. They also narrow the contact patch a lot, which makes for better rolling on gravel roads. The Beargrease fork is amazingly stiff. Stiffer than any of the carbon fat forks available and lighter than all but one of them. The tapered headtube and steerer are a big part of that. I've used many rigid forks on my 29ers over the years, everything from a Niner to White Bros to several custom steel ones. This fork is the best rigid one I've ever had. The Beargrease frame is also amazingly stiff. The drawn tubing and wide bb and headtube make this bike feel like riding a high end MTB. Compared to all the steel frames (stock & custom) and even last year's Muks this thing is hands down the best fatbike I've ever pedalled.
    Awesome build and super light, great job. I can't blame you for doing a custom build, I don't think the stock version is a good bang for the buck.
    And I love beer!!

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

large

Great build. I am getting ready to buy a beargrease if i can get my hands on one. I have found a size Large but was looking for an XL. Just curious, what is your saddle height in this picture? Measured from the center of BB to top of saddle. Enjoy that new bike.

Hope Hubs
    Salsa skewers
    Salsa seat collar
    Thomson elite post
    Flite Ti saddle
    Crank Bros 3 pedals

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Great build. I am getting ready to buy a beargrease if i can get my hands on one. I have found a size Large but was looking for an XL. Just curious, what is your saddle height in this picture? Measured from the center of BB to top of saddle. Enjoy that new bike.
    I run 30.25" measured that way. I'm 6'1" tall. That's a 410mm Thomson setback post. Not sure how many MM are in the frame, but there's plenty left. My wife rides a medium frame and runs a 410mm post set 31" above the bb spindle.

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

ok

Thanks, that helps. I run 32" center of BB to top of saddle.

I run 30.25" measured that way. I'm 6'1" tall. That's a 410mm Thomson setback post. Not sure how many MM are in the frame, but there's plenty left. My wife rides a medium frame and runs a 410mm post set 31" above the bb spindle.

Fat & Single
    Very nice !! Congrats on the custom build.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Scotty, very nice build, thanks for posting the pictures. I'll be fun to get some time on snow with our BG's

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Got my new beargrease out for a ride today on dry Denver area singletrack. (16.5 mi, 1300 feet of climbing, lots of fast descending and twisty gravel-over-hardpack. I love the traction and predictable break-away of the tires. The gearing was great. I did take note that it was less jumpy and more pumpy than my stumpjumper, and much harder to accelerate, but it was a blast to ride! This will be my new social ride bike, and I can't wait to get it on snow!

mtbr member
    Very soon...

Photo

Was too big to put here...

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Paid Spam is sold - deleting message
    Last edited by bikedrd; 11-30-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    FYI I just got my large Beargrease last night. Had preplanned a little and swapped tubes for Qtubes ultralight 3" ers and my specialized toupe saddle. Borrowed saddle and $20 in tubes for a weight of 28.1 lbs. not bad huh. Glad I didn't go another route and spend my self to death just to get "close". Now I can put some into a bar, lighter cassette and maybe lighter rims and hubs/wheel set and get into serious territory. Meanwhile it's freakin amazing as is. Rolls up way better than the twenty2 bully and surly versions I've ridden. Now for some snow.............

And that's without pedals.
    Last edited by Brogrease; 11-28-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Missing stats

Yukon Rider

First ride of the year at -32c on my new BG

Looks like we might have different weather here. My first ride today on my new Bear was at -32c. A quick loop on our local river trail was enuf to get a great feel for this awesome bike! WOW...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Beargrease-yukon-river.jpg  

Last edited by Derek.Endress; 11-29-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: adding pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I recommend the Medium...I am 5'5" and ride the small, with the seatpost jacked up as high as it safely should go. It fits great, but with those extra 3" you should go medium.

mtbr member
    Here's mine. Only mod so far was swapping out the blue hoops and setting up the black ones tubeless. Gonna roll it Saturday for the first boogie session
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Beargrease-image.jpg  

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554 View Post
    Here's mine. Only mod so far was swapping out the blue hoops and setting up the black ones tubeless. Gonna roll it Saturday for the first boogie session
    That looks much much better with the black rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by custardninja View Post
    naaaaa no way, blk is well blk and meh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm loving these reviews. I ride a Mukluk 2 and LOVE IT!! If anyone has ridden both and can compare it would be great. My Mukluk 2 weighs in at 34 pounds, sounds like the Beargrease could be brought in under 30 pounds rather easily. I'm glad my LBS doesn't have one in stock or I would own two fatbikes right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    Looks like we might have different weather here. My first ride today on my new Bear was at -32c. A quick loop on our local river trail was enuf to get a great feel for this awesome bike! WOW...
    that reeks freekin COLD and that's all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by custardninja View Post
    Thanks Custard, I'm lovin' the look so far. I have a few more goodies on order but nothing to "blingy"

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    I'm loving these reviews. I ride a Mukluk 2 and LOVE IT!! If anyone has ridden both and can compare it would be great. My Mukluk 2 weighs in at 34 pounds, sounds like the Beargrease could be brought in under 30 pounds rather easily. I'm glad my LBS doesn't have one in stock or I would own two fatbikes right now.
    A med frame is 28 pounds out of the box.

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast