mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Salsa 2016 bike lineup, when?

Anyone here got info on when the 2016 Salsa bikes will hit the stores?
    Emailed the guys at Salsa recently just to get no reply at all

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMe View Post
    Anyone here got info on when the 2016 Salsa bikes will hit the stores?
    Emailed the guys at Salsa recently just to get no reply at all
    Depends on the bike. Go to your LBS and ask about a specific bike. If it's not there now (some are in shops now), there should be an ETA on the model you're asking about. It also depends on which ship window a shop got in on when they submitted their 2016 pre-orders. So different shops will have different bikes in stock.

Human Test Subject
    Some have been released for months.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The 2016 bikes are available and they have tons in stock at the distributor. The 2015 Ti Mukluk and Beargrease are on close out too...

The 2017 bikes are usually announced at Saddledrive in July. With so many 2016s in stock though, I'd be surprised if anything new came out this year fat bike wise. But you never know. Salsa is quite good at keeping secrets!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have been waiting for a Mukluk GX1 since November, much longer and I might say forget it and see what 2017 has to offer. I have seen the Mukluk X7 for a couple months.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post
    I have been waiting for a Mukluk GX1 since November, much longer and I might say forget it and see what 2017 has to offer. I have seen the Mukluk X7 for a couple months.
    Yep, like I said, depends on the bike. I ordered a 2015 Bucksaw the week they started taking pre-orders. Sometime midsummer 2014, IIRC. I got into the first ship window, and those bikes got delivered in November of 2014. Only a few made it onto shop sales floors, and the selection didn't start improving until after the new year after the bikes in the second ship window arrived. But you were at the mercy of the shop in question, and what they chose to stock. There was a third ship window that came sometime in March. I don't think you could walk into the shop and special order one (for timely delivery) until well into spring of 2015. If you didn't pre-order one, you had your work cut out for you to find the specific size/model you wanted somewhere in stock, and then you had to find a way to get it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I didn't want to pre-order until I knew the price. There were 2015 mukluk bikes in stock all last winter with no shortage, I didn't expect this winter to be any different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    heard last night that salsa is gonna bring something out kinda like the stache, and it will have a carbon option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    heard last night that salsa is gonna bring something out kinda like the stache, and it will have a carbon option.
    So it'll cost twice as much and be half as cool? Pass.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    Hope this is true, maybe Salsa's creation won't be flexy and will be able to be ran SS without issues.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I heard they're discontinuing the Blackborrow, making the Mukluk a 197 rear, new frame-only color options for BG, and beginning to sell at REI. Also they're going to have a $1000 offering for a fatbike - probably for the influx of the REI shoppers.
    Fatbikes tho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    HAHA, nice, TREK has to be the lamest and the most greedy brand in the bike world.

Salsa rocks and is 100's the brand TREK will ever be.

LOL! I didn't want to like Trek, but after buying a Farley, I am impressed. I think most reasonable people would enjoy riding a nice Trek.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by beluga_ciabatta View Post
    I heard they're discontinuing the Blackborrow, making the Mukluk a 197 rear, new frame-only color options for BG, and beginning to sell at REI. Also they're going to have a $1000 offering for a fatbike - probably for the influx of the REI shoppers.
    Disclaimer: Everything I'm about to say is wild speculation not based on any fact whatsoever and does not reflect on any information I may or may not have about Salsa.

$1K REI bike is a plus-bike, didn't you hear that fat bikes are dead?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxfixed View Post
    $1K REI bike is a plus-bike
    That's not my understanding of things at all.

Human Test Subject
    I heard a Frankenstein lives there!
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    That's not my understanding of things at all.
    Well let's just revisit this in late July and see what your understanding is like then.

since 4/10/2009
    Well let's just revisit this in late July and see what your understanding is like then.
    I work for a Salsa dealer, and our rep paid a visit yesterday where much was discussed.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Sounds like not enough was discussed or someone has some bad info about what's coming down the pipe. The least expensive fat bike that some unknown brand is coming out with is $600 more than that same unknown brands $1000 hardtail 27+/29 bike.

since 4/10/2009
    Sounds like not enough was discussed or someone has some bad info about what's coming down the pipe. The least expensive fat bike that some unknown brand is coming out with is $600 more than that same unknown brands $1000 hardtail 27+/29 bike.
    I didn't say that Salsa wouldn't be offering a $1k bike. I distinctly recall a number of bikes at that price point.