S&S coupled fat bike

Printable View

• 07-21-2011
    intheways
    S&S coupled fat bike
    Anyone have one? I've been thinking that it may be worth doing to minimize cost in shipping the bike for travel.

Thoughts?
  • 07-21-2011
    sryanak
    Billy at Arcticcycles.com had a ti 907 built with them if I remember right.
  • 07-21-2011
    byknuts
    when rody from groovy cycles dropped in to bounce ideas around that was mentioned and he said it made sense.
    isn't there a handmade bicycle show going on sometime soon?
    anyone got pics?
    bueller?
  • 07-21-2011
    G-reg
    The thing is even broken down there's a lot of frame to pack........ And that's not thinking about what to do with wheels. That's just me rambling though, I'd like to see how it works in reality.
  • 07-21-2011
    JimInSF
    I have a hard time believing you'd get fat tires and wheels in a regular (airline 62 linear inch standard) S&S case - you might get away with one of the extra wide units though.
  • 07-21-2011
    intheways
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimInSF View Post
    I have a hard time believing you'd get fat tires and wheels in a regular (airline 62 linear inch standard) S&S case - you might get away with one of the extra wide units though.

Even with Snowcats (44mm) and deflated tires?
  • 07-21-2011
    JimInSF
    Good question. I'll know more next week as I'm picking up my 29er at Black Sheep in Ft. Collins including a regulation size S&S case to stuff it in, but AFAIK, even a 29er in a regular case is a fairly tight squeeze - with rims twice as wide (though it would be 4x if rolling on 100s!) and tires at what, triple or quadruple the volume of 29er rubber, seems like a stretch to say the least. But so what - get the wider case and pay a little extra when you fly! Doesn't seem that big of a deal to me.

I'm actually thinking I may ship the 29er in the case rather than fly with it anyway since the airlines will only pay a tiny fraction of the cost if they "lose" it to a TSA agent's or baggage handler's garage...
  • 07-22-2011
    Val Garou
    Even two cases will likely be cheaper than the fee for a bike if you end up on anyone other than Southwest, Frontier, or Westjet.
  • 07-22-2011
    JimInSF
    Good point. A second regulation sized case may be easier to ship as well, not sure what the UPS package size restrictions/pricing are...
  • 07-23-2011
    arcticcycles
    2 Attachment(s)
    S&S Fat Bike
    The S&S Fat Bike is the best thing I have ever purchased! With the trips all over the state of Alaska for work or fun this bike is the ticket! I have had it in a Super Cub,180, 207, Beaver, etc... and I have taken to the lower 48. I have saved over $200 (on Delta) per trip. The wheels are in a second bag.

The real reason why I had this bike custom made was for the conditions when you cannot ride. In 2009 during my ride to Nome, Mother Nature threw us for a loop & I pushed my bike hundreds of miles...during this long stretch of postholing, I decided that I needed a bike that could break apart. As soon as I returned to Anchorage, I talked with the guys at AK Chain Reaction to see if they could custom build one for me. Chain Reaction contracted the first S&S Fat bike through Litespeed. I then designed my own custom sled & modified my snowshoes to complete the package. It's tested & proven & works great!

Billy Koitzsch
    Arctic Cycles
  • 07-24-2011
    intheways
    Quote:

Originally Posted by arcticcycles View Post
    The S&S Fat Bike is the best thing I have ever purchased! With the trips all over the state of Alaska for work or fun this bike is the ticket! I have had it in a Super Cub,180, 207, Beaver, etc... and I have taken to the lower 48. I have saved over $200 (on Delta) per trip. The wheels are in a second bag.

The real reason why I had this bike custom made was for the conditions when you cannot ride. In 2009 during my ride to Nome, Mother Nature threw us for a loop & I pushed my bike hundreds of miles...during this long stretch of postholing, I decided that I needed a bike that could break apart. As soon as I returned to Anchorage, I talked with the guys at AK Chain Reaction to see if they could custom build one for me. Chain Reaction contracted the first S&S Fat bike through Litespeed. I then designed my own custom sled & modified my snowshoes to complete the package. It's tested & proven & works great!

Billy Koitzsch
    Arctic Cycles

That setup is BRILLIANT! I never thought of using snowshoes for a rack.

Thanks for the pics
  • 07-24-2011
    Canoe
    And the poles keep the guy biking ahead of you moving?
    Or are those for bears?
  • 07-24-2011
    byknuts
    Billy: that's an awesome setup!! I love it! :thumbsup:

Canoe: "the guy in front of you" and "riding in alaska" are often mutually exclusive statements. ;) :D
  • 07-24-2011
    Canoe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    Canoe: "the guy in front of you" and "riding in alaska" are often mutually exclusive statements. ;) :D

I thought the standard advice for "bear country" was to always take someone with you who is slower than you... :smilewinkgrin:
  • 07-24-2011
    sryanak
    Mostly the bears are asleep when we are riding on snow.
  • 07-24-2011
    Canoe
    Around here, the ones that do wake up are a real b....
    Fortunately, only Black Bears.

Any Polar Bears ever wander down/over?
  • 01-19-2013
    Dusza
    Quote:

Billy Koitzsch
    Arctic Cycles

That's so cool I just had to bump it. Talk about multipurpose gear! :thumbsup:
  • 01-19-2013
    Coloradogoose
    I'm glad you buped it Dusza, I never would have found this thread otherwise and it is cool as hell. The use of snowshoes for racks is great. I'm always amazed at what people can come up with.
  • 01-19-2013
    bob_ostrom
    cases
    I have the same frame as Billy's. Made at the same time. I haven't set up the snowshoes/sled yet but have had it in a small plane to get home, the pilot was thankful...

About the cases, I have two SandS cases. I know that one set of wheels will fit into one case and that's about all that would fit in there. I hope the frame will fit into the other case with room for boots and gear. I haven't packed the frame into a case yet, but will be doing it this week to get to MN. If there is an issue it would be that one of the dimensions will be too long to fit in the case.

I think two cases will be the way to go. The vagaries of what the airline will charge for a bike have resulted in me paying over $400 to get a regular bike case on a small commuter airline once. That was my prompting to get the two SandS cases...
  • 01-19-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

What's the time to break down and reassemble the bike? :)
  • 01-20-2013
    29Again
    Total BS
    Slightly off topic, but I came across this a few weeks back. Travel discussion starts at 2:17 for about 20 seconds.

Black Sheep:
    NAHBS 2012 - Black Sheep Fat Bike - YouTube
  • 01-20-2013
    dRjOn
    i used to have an s+s bike. it was ace for travelling. admittedly it was a singlespeed and i ran cable brakes but i could pack or unpack it in 15 minutes...literally. i was dubious of the couplings ability to stay snug at first, but they were bomber.

if only i hadnt developed a ti habit soon after...i know you can get ti s+s couplers, but they cost the same as quite a few flights so the maths gets a bit more tricky.....

:-)~