mtbr member

Running a Fat Tire (3.8 etc) on a 47mm wide rim - should I have any worries??

If I were to run a Nate or Knard Fat Bike tire on a 47mm wide Tryall rim - should I have concerns about tire roll off?

Would I best be safe to stick with 2.7 or 3.0 DH type tires instead?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    47 will be fine

mtbr member
    no worries mount it up!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Do it, but watch your bead seating when you are inflating. Make sure to get that thing nice and round and very consistent at the bead.

You'll know very quickly if you did something wrong, tube flops out.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Do it, but watch your bead seating when you are inflating. Make sure to get that thing nice and round and very consistent at the bead.

You'll know very quickly if you did something wrong, tube flops out.
    So soap it up a little bit, and inflate it up to what PSI to get a good seat? Then slowly let air out to get to desired PSI? Yes?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    That might work, I didn't use soap, just inflated slow and moved things around a lot by hand. But yes, over inflate to give some indication that a rim strike won't give you a bad surprise, then let pressure back down.

My old 47mm wheel is still having a useful life on my brother's bike, works fine.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Fat & Single
    Theres a few of us here running 3.8" or 4" on 47mm rims. I have just replaced the rims with margelites as they didnt look fat anymore compared to my buds, but they work a treat. Nice fast wheels.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Theres a few of us here running 3.8" or 4" on 47mm rims. I have just replaced the rims with margelites as they didnt look fat anymore compared to my buds, but they work a treat. Nice fast wheels.
    Any advantages/disadvantages with the Marge Lites over the 47mm rims that you have noticed yet?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    marge lites arent much heaver, but do spread the tyre more as is was deigned to do

I also run bud/lou 4.8's on marge lites in winter without any probs

mtbr member
    My lightweight wheels for the last few years are 40mm rims.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Fat & Single
    I cant really notice much difference riding the bike but ive also spent the last 6 months riding Buds on my other set of Margelites as I loved the fatness.

The Trialtech SL are 610g and Margelites are 690g so there a bit of difference but not massive, the tubeless conversion on both sets made the biggest difference to weigh over running tubes.... but that has been discussed in great detail in other threads.

A good tubeless conversion using light rimstrips and 8898 strapping tape with a foam filled valley can save 200g a wheel easily. My other ML wheels are tubeless total on each wheel for 150g including 2 scoops of stans, the surly rimstrips alone if you have them fitted are touching 100g then you have whatever tube you are running. So no point worrying about going thin 47mm over 65mm when theres other ways to loose some rotating weight.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Biggest difference I found between Neon 47's and Marge Lites was not being able to run lower pressures on the 47's. At about 10 or so PSI, the beads would start to peel off, whereas M/L's could go down to 7 or so no problem.

mtbr member
    The 47 mm Trialtech rims have worked great on the summer trails. The inability to run really low pressures on them has never bothered me, since the summer trails need higher pressure anyway to avoid snakebites all the time.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    "At about 10 or so PSI, the beads would start to peel off"

This has not been my experience, I've been running HuDu's and a Nate on Neon 47 mm rims at about 7 psi for the last year and have not had any problems with the beads pulling off.

The good: The rims are incredibly light and inexpensive compared to Surly's offerings. I also like the more rounded tire profile.

The bad: Not a big deal but you lose about a half inch of tire width on a 47 mm rim compared to an 80 mm rim. My HuDu and Nate both measure about 4" on an 80 mm rim but closer to 3.5" on a 47 mm rim. I haven't noticed any difference in ride quality.

mtbr member
    Working great on the Sandman
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

mtbr member
    Yeah, if you're losing the bead at low pressures, you didn't seat them all the way. I always make sure to get to upwards of 30 psi to make sure it's popped all the way in. Then I let it sit and dry (if I had to soap) before I let the pressure down. I've ridden down to 3 psi without losing a bead.
    http://twofattires.com - Fat Bike community, forums and resource.