N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Running 26 x 2" semi slicks on 80mm fatbike rims

I recently have acquired the desire to do some touring on my fat bike but don't like the idea of destroying my expensive knobby fat tires on long stretches of pavement that connect the off road sections, so I decided to try mounting a set of 26x2" semi slicks on the 80mm rims of my fat bike with 2.4-2.7" Qtubes. Same tubes will work for the fat tires and semi slicks so no need to carry different tubes. The Idea is to carry the tires in my pack, and then throw them on when I hit long stretches of pavement. Tires I used are Serfas Drifter's, Schwalbe Big Apples would work awesome too I suspect.

I was skeptical of it even working, but to my surprise it is actually pretty awesome. The beads seat nice and firmly and at around 30 psi or so they roll very nice on the road, pretty fast, and super comfortable ride due to the high volume from the 80mm rim. I tried mounting them on 100 mm rims, but it won't work, bead won't seat. 80mm is about max width for a 2" tire, 65mm would work awesome too but not look as cool IMO.

I just went on a long ride with them, and I can't ever remember having this much fun on the road with a bike. Feels like being on a supermoto without the motor.

I should note that my frame is custom built by me with a 14" high BB running fat tires, so with these semi slicks, the BB is right at 12.5" which is normal BB height. I love the 14" BB off road so it's cool it worked out this way. A production fat bike frame would have a pretty low BB running these tires, something close to 11" so just don't pedal around fast corners.

If anyone has a set of 2" or wider slicks, like Big Apples lying around, I highly recommend throwing them on your fat bike and take it out for a spin.
    ( Please excuse the ugly stem and high bars, it's a necessary evil for my comfort while riding)

mtbr member
    That's awesome! Way to think outside the box!

Kinda looks like a 4x4 truck with 22's... Defeats the intended purpose of the vehicle but at least in this case makes it more useful in other ways!

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. Being an avid 4x4er, I've always thought it ridiculous seeing 4x4's with those huge rims and lower profile tires. It made no sense to me from a point of use perspective. But, seeing as it only takes a few minutes to swap bike tires, running road tires on a fat bike makes sense to me to increase is use capability.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Are those the new Schwalbe Jumbo Shrimp tires?

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    One note to add, I'm a little leery of running over 25 psi with the rim cuttouts without further reinforcement, so I'm going to run a strip of wide Gorilla tape as rim strip for extra support.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    For anyone trying this, I found it easiest to inflate the tube enough to be as small a diameter as possible but still be round and hold it's shape, then put tube inside the slick tire first, then put both on the rim together. The tube will be a little bigger diameter than the slick tire, but just get it inside and even it out the best you can. Center the tire and tube in the middle of the rim and start pumping. It will look impossible for the tire to spread wide enough to fit the rim but just keep pumping and the tube will force the tire beads out. Watch to make sure the bead is evenly seated all the way around, if it isn't deflate and start over. Some times it takes a couple tries to get the tire to seat nice and round without any wobbles, this is true even for the fat tires.

mtbr member
    When i first got my pugs with the original LM wheels I rolled continental mountain king 2.4 tires and then worked great. I never even thought about trying a sub 3 in her on an 80mm rim. Good info here.

mtbr member
    What about self steer? Shouldn't it be pretty bad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. Being an avid 4x4er, I've always thought it ridiculous seeing 4x4's with those huge rims and lower profile tires. It made no sense to me from a point of use perspective.
    In all fairness, most 4x4's don't have enough suspension throw to warrant use beyond poorly maintained gravel roads. The 4x4 is for all intents and purposes relegated to provinding better traction in snow.

What I actually CAN'T understand is why shops let owners put those things on their SUV's, as the only outcome is loss of cornering traction. Large, heavy vehicles that experience sizeable camber changes during cornering need a footprint that remains planted. Huge wheels with super short and stiff sidewall tires are great on Corvettes and Ferrari's, but are a disaster during an emergency maneuver in an SUV. At least they go out in style, right?
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    What about self steer? Shouldn't it be pretty bad?
    Absolutely no self steer at all, at least with the Serfas Drifter's I used. Infact, this is the best handling road bicycle I've ever ridden, which really surprised me, seeing as I was just hoping it would ride well enough to get me from point A to B on the tarmac until I could throw my knobbies back on. I'm sure it's a combination of the 16.5" chainstay's and wide stable tires. It's very confidence inspiring. As long as the tire keeps a nice round profile there shouldn't be any self steer.

mtbr member
    Looks like your pedals are really close to the ground! I guess as long as your not pedaling in the corners or over obstacles, it wouldn't be an issue.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    Looks like your pedals are really close to the ground! I guess as long as your not pedaling in the corners or over obstacles, it wouldn't be an issue.
    They're not that close, just looks like it because of the way the pedal and crank are rotated. With the slicks, the BB is 12.5" which is the same as a normal fat bike with fat tires. My frame is custom with a 14" BB running fats so running slicks makes the BB perfect on the road.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    This is such a cool idea! I wish I'd have thought of this or seen this thread before I bought my cheap Framed 29x2 set.

Still might do this anyway. Thanks!

mtbr member
    i am running 2.5 Kenda Hookworms on 100mm rims on my cruiser. it can be done, but purely for the street. i am going back to Black Floyds though for the cush.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    i am running 2.5 Kenda Hookworms on 100mm rims on my cruiser. it can be done, but purely for the street. i am going back to Black Floyds though for the cush.
    Would LOVE to see a pic of the Hookworms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just mounted Maxxis Hookworm 2.5s on my Origin 8 Crawler. Love the look and love the ROLL. I'm 6'4" and 375lbs. Riding for weight loss and general fitness. Love this bike. Thanks for the idea from this OP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nicholas Carman (Gypsy By Trade) rode 2.35 Big Apples from Anchorage AK, to Calgary, BC, and then swapped tires for the Tour Divide to Mexico. Dude gets around (like all over the world), and his blog is a great resource.

Cheers
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbbob View Post
    Nicholas Carman (Gypsy By Trade) rode 2.35 Big Apples from Anchorage AK, to Calgary, BC, and then swapped tires for the Tour Divide to Mexico. Dude gets around (like all over the world), and his blog is a great resource.

Cheers
    Kevin
    His blog is utterly amazing. Just the adventures he goes on, the pictures he takes, the way he describes it all is so beautiful. He was pretty much the reason I got a fatbike and a 29+ and is my inspiration. His blog has a ton of useful, real life advice in terms of fatbikes. Also he ran the big apples on large marges on a pugs (:

Bedwards Of The West
    Maaaaan, my used and laying-around Serfas Drifters and Big Apples are of the 29" variety. This looks fun.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

since 4/10/2009
    My fat, tubeless setup is too much of a PITA to mess with any more frequent tire changes than I absolutely have to do. Which, barring any flats, I am doing twice a year between cold/wet/snowy season and warm/dry season.

I have seen hookworms installed on a fatty for pavement use before.

I have a steel touring/commuter bike, so for transportation or fitness riding on pavement, I use it. If I did a lot of urban rides on my fatbike, I'd probably do either hookworms or maybe some Larry's or something with a LITTLE tread. I know some guys running Black Floyds and it sounds like they're kinda on the thin side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've seen several examples of 26's mounted on fat rims. On a Pug, that drops the BB about an inch to the level of a LHT. What I'm interested in is what happens if you put a 29'er tire on?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    do you have pictures? thanx

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Do you use a 2.0 MTB tube or fatbike tube for this experiment ? I like the "Supermoto" look.

mtbr member
    I used 2.25 tubes with Maxxis Hookworks on 80mm rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes road sheep View Post
    Do you use a 2.0 MTB tube or fatbike tube for this experiment ? I like the "Supermoto" look.
    I'm sure a 2" mtb tube would work, but I used Qtubes 2.4-2.7" tubes.

mtbr member
    |
    |
    v
    Last edited by FatBike&SlenderWoman; 04-03-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    Sounds like I should have another try at fitting my old set of 26x2.35 Super Motos on my Voodoo Wazoo's 80mm rims!

I had a tentative attempt at this on the front wheel last weekend, using a 26x2.1 tube (which is where I probably went very wrong), trying to inflate the tyre by conventional means (fit tyre and tube while uninflated, use track pump to inflate). I got to ~5PSI or so and the beads were still at least 5mm away from the rim bead, so fear of losing my ears got the better of me and I aborted the experiment!

Maybe I should try this again, using a fat tube?

Besides the 2x Super Motos, I've also got a pair of 2.35 Crazy Bobs sitting in the garage, which aren't going to give the weight savings of the Moto but both might be better "sacrificial lambs" for the tarmac commuting that will be starting in the next week or so...

Rather than killing my newly ordered 4.0 snakeskin Jumbo Jims.

mtbr member
    Running Vee Speedster 26x3.5 on 100mm CS. There is a little oversteer when hard cornering on pavement that would probably go away with an 80mm rim but they sure roll fast on street, gravel and beach sand. The diameter is 1.5" smaller than the Surly 26x4.8's so I converted to a triple ring & front derailleur to get a 42T 'overdrive' ring for street use. If I could find a 27.5x4 or a 29x3 semi slick to match the wheel diameter of my winter rubber, I would probably need a set of aerobars.

Running 26 x 2" semi slicks on 80mm fatbike rims-img_6769.jpg

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    Speedsters have such a strange tread, that honeycomb is supposed to be a nightmare over small stone surfaces, where bits get jammed into the mosiac and cause punctures.

Do they behave ok on roads (unless you travel over shards of glass etc.)?

Specialized Fatboy
    Welp, time to revive this thread...

Would 26x2.50 Hookworms work on a 90mm rim? I have a Specialized Fatboy and want to run road tires. I saw that 26 x 2 is max for 80mm above.

Thanks in advanced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide View Post
    Speedsters have such a strange tread, that honeycomb is supposed to be a nightmare over small stone surfaces, where bits get jammed into the mosiac and cause punctures.
    Yes, they do pickup small pieces of aggregate but it does not cause any problems. They tend to fly out and are easily removed while pressure washing the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide View Post
    Do they behave ok on roads (unless you travel over shards of glass etc.)?
    On a 99mm Clown Shoe rim, there is quite a bit of self steer at lower tire pressures. Because these tires are smaller than Bud & Lou, I have since repurposed the 26" Speedsters to a fair weather wheelset on a Mukluk that utilizes Dillinger 4's as the winter wheelset. The self steer is pretty much a non issue on a 59mm Marge Lite rim.
    I then laced up a 29+ wheelset tubeless with 2.8 Speedsters. Much lighter, faster with no self-steer.
    Click on link below for gory details.
    Notubes Hugo 52mm Rim