Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 283
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    71
    Yes, the 80mm is ideal with only 0.5 degree slacker head angle.
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

  2. #102
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    Yes, the 80mm is ideal with only 0.5 degree slacker head angle.
    Wouldn't it be about the same as the stock fork after sag? Of coarse that's if you are not including the stack height of a external lower cup.

    511 c-r @ 100mm
    491 c-r @ 80mm
    20mm sag 471mm
    And I love beer!!

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    71
    Yes, except the Bluto has a 51mm offset
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

  4. #104
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    Yes, except the Bluto has a 51mm offset
    But fork rake or trail does not affect the actual head angle.
    And I love beer!!

  5. #105
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,312

    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    But fork rake or trail does not affect the actual head angle.
    But changing the fork offset changes the trail.

    The real question is whether the fork crown will clear the down tube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    71
    Sure it does
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

  7. #107
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    Sure it does
    Here we go again
    And I love beer!!

  8. #108
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    But changing the fork offset changes the trail.
    This I know because you teached it to me
    and the trail does not affect the head tube angle because you teached me that as well.
    And I love beer!!

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    71
    Think of it this way: every frame design includes the dimension of a specific fork, regardless of the brand. Our 29ers, for example, are designed with the dimensions of a FOX 34 Float 130mm and of course we take into account sag and headset lower cup. Any deviations from that might potentially change the geometry even ever so slightly. If you use 110mm fork, it will steepen the HA and lower the BBH. If you use 150mm, it will slacken the HA and raise the BBH. Also, the FOX 34 we use has 51mm offset, if you use another fork or the same with a different offset, example 46mm, this will steepen your HA.
    This is the same thing here with our Mayor, the fork is rigid 468mm A to C and 45mm offset. You are right, The Bluto, with 20% sag, sits at 471mm, but it's the offset that causes the 0.5 degree slacker. And yes, the fork crown clears the down tube.
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

  10. #110
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    521
    Got my eyes on The Mayor last weekend nice looking bike.

  11. #111
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    Think of it this way: every frame design includes the dimension of a specific fork, regardless of the brand. Our 29ers, for example, are designed with the dimensions of a FOX 34 Float 130mm and of course we take into account sag and headset lower cup. Any deviations from that might potentially change the geometry even ever so slightly. If you use 110mm fork, it will steepen the HA and lower the BBH. If you use 150mm, it will slacken the HA and raise the BBH. Also, the FOX 34 we use has 51mm offset, if you use another fork or the same with a different offset, example 46mm, this will steepen your HA.
    This is the same thing here with our Mayor, the fork is rigid 468mm A to C and 45mm offset. You are right, The Bluto, with 20% sag, sits at 471mm, but it's the offset that causes the 0.5 degree slacker. And yes, the fork crown clears the down tube.
    Well there goes my months of research into fork offsets and their direct effect on head tube angle.
    And I love beer!!

  12. #112
    Most Delicious
    Reputation: dr.welby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    Also, the FOX 34 we use has 51mm offset, if you use another fork or the same with a different offset, example 46mm, this will steepen your HA.
    Actually it will slacken the head angle, but not by enough to even worry about. Less than 1mm.

  13. #113
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,312

    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Well there goes my months of research into fork offsets and their direct effect on head tube angle.
    Ignore it, it is just plain wrong. If there is no change in the AXLE to crown distance, there is no significant change in the HTA. Varying the tire pressure could make more of a change.

    It takes about a 17mm change in A-C to change the HTA by 1 degree.

    If anything, the greater offset of the Bluto would cancel out the minor difference in A-C length (though just by being a suspension fork the A-C/HTA is always changing).
    What DOES change is the trail.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    71
    my apologies for using the wrong terminology. it is the trail that changes, not the HA
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

  15. #115
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,312

    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    my apologies for using the wrong terminology. it is the trail that changes, not the HA
    Odd mistake to make when trail is not measured in degrees.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  16. #116
    Most Delicious
    Reputation: dr.welby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    my apologies for using the wrong terminology. it is the trail that changes, not the HA
    The head angle does change, just not enough to matter in this application.

  17. #117
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    Yes, the 80mm is ideal with only 0.5 degree slacker head angle.
    If one was to swap out the carbon fork for a RS Bluto would it void the frame warranty?

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10
    How would this bike be for bike packing ? And has anyone had luck with a two ring set up on the front? I'm a noob deciding between this and upgrading a black muk 3.

    Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

  19. #119
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    521

    2015 are out. Glad I waited.

    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,062
    Ya but it's got one of them forks that moves with rider/trail input. No bueno.

    rog

  21. #121
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    521
    Complete bikes
    1x10 and Carbon Fork $1949 MSRP
    1x11 and Carbon Fork $2399 MSRP
    1x10 and Bluto $2399 MSRP
    1x11 and Bluto $2799 MSRP

    Frame/Fork combo
    Carbon Fork $799 MSRP
    Bluto Fork $1099 MSRP
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OCDKV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    56
    I'm digging the blue

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OCDKV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    56
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-10525593_553805744728643_3095569300353938504_n.jpg

    Looks like Raw is coming too!

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Complete bikes
    1x10 and Carbon Fork $1949 MSRP
    1x11 and Carbon Fork $2399 MSRP
    1x10 and Bluto $2399 MSRP
    1x11 and Bluto $2799 MSRP

    Frame/Fork combo
    Carbon Fork $799 MSRP
    Bluto Fork $1099 MSRP

    Any reason why bluto frame/fork is only $300 price diff. But on a complete bike it's $450 diff?

    The Mayor was at the very top of my list last fall at $1799. But with the price hike and increased competition, this bike has fallen to 5-6 on my list now.

  25. #125
    Rocking on a Rocky
    Reputation: RockyJo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    Any reason why bluto frame/fork is only $300 price diff. But on a complete bike it's $450 diff?

    The Mayor was at the very top of my list last fall at $1799. But with the price hike and increased competition, this bike has fallen to 5-6 on my list now.
    Have to wait for the build specs I guess. At 1100 bucks is a good price.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "Next" and "Mongoose" mountain bikes
    By SpAgetttt in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 174
    Last Post: 09-20-2014, 07:10 PM
  2. RSD Fat Bike "The Mayor"?
    By bikeshane in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 05:53 PM
  3. watch out for handlebars/grips being too tall on 12"/14"/16" bikes
    By cmc4130 in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2013, 09:43 PM
  4. "Lil Shredder" high-end kids bikes... these are the goods!"
    By biobike in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM
  5. Replies: 2850
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •