Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    There is a new mayor in town . Hopefully i can get over my cold so she can be ridden this week. Too good of a deal to pass up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is there anything I can do to not have to run a 30 front chain ring. I know my spider isn't removable but would love 26 by 36 gear ratio making it easier on climbs.

My only complaint is the stock 32 by 36 ratio for climbing.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by BradOlsen84 View Post
    Is there anything I can do to not have to run a 30 front chain ring. I know my spider isn't removable but would love 26 by 36 gear ratio making it easier on climbs.

My only complaint is the stock 32 by 36 ratio for climbing.
    Try a 42 Wolf tooth on the rear.

It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    No I have not. The LBS will not let you test it.
    Crappy lbs.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Crappy lbs.
    We have a few here.

OHV Gansta
    Looks to be a good option frame to fit a bluto on (y)
    Get out and ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, jumping in late here, but what shop? What city are you in?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Guys

Is the RSD considered more of a race/XC geometry like the Specialized/Trek or more adventure slack and long?

I love the specialized but want to support my local builder and if this is going to feel as fast as the other then I am sold.
    They also have a 14 locally, if the 15 has only minor changes then I will grab that one.

Bev

Edit
    10mm longer chain stays, head angle .5 degree different, seat angle the same, bb 10mm higher, hard to compare top tube length as different terminology..

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevo-66 View Post
    Guys

Is the RSD considered more of a race/XC geometry like the Specialized/Trek or more adventure slack and long?

I love the specialized but want to support my local builder and if this is going to feel as fast as the other then I am sold.
    They also have a 14 locally, if the 15 has only minor changes then I will grab that one.

Bev
    It's nice in the single track.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks!

One thing I like is the spec, not much to change and love that carbon fork.
    10mm longer stays will give it a bit more stability but the same head angle will keep it fast turning.
    The higher bb may also be a bonus as well.

The shop is also willing to make changes within the price, rear cassette and front chainring to a 30 and 36 rear may be perfect for me..

Rocking on a Rocky
    The 15 frame us 10 mm wider rear than the 14. I think the 15 carbon fork has rack mounts? I changed my tires to Bulldozers add a few axtra ozs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone have experience with 90mm rims on the mayor? Wonder what tire size will be the most a guy/gal could do.

mtbr member
    I was told by Alex at RSD that the new frame (v2) would easily accommodated 100mm with Bud & Lou, pretty much the biggest combo out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I got the 2014 and I know a lou dont fit on the back even with a tube. The lou was trimmed a bit and psi was at like 15.. I'm sure with some adjustment of the psi it would spin without rub but no way it would be rideable with any amount of snow or mud on it. But alex did send me a pick of the 2014 with a snowshoe xl at 15psi tubed and it did fit. He has been super helpful in answering my emails. So I give them credit in that aspect.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by d34nclub View Post
    He has been super helpful in answering my emails. So I give them credit in that aspect.
    I got a v2 on the way (soon I hope) and I have to agree with you there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Nice.. It is super fun. Cool that you are getting the wider frame and bigger tires. That is what I am wanting to change most of all. Thinking of going to some lighter wheels as well as they are hella heavy. But overall the bike is a deal for what you get, in my opinion at least.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Can someone with a medium bike and a stock bar give me the measurement from the end of the bar to the floor?

mtbr member
    I hate when a product is made in Canada and is sold cheaper in the US than Canada. No matter what we get hosed on pricing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There's nothing "made in canada" about it. Just designed/marketed in canada.

Don't forget 12-13% exchange rate for currency difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That is correct. In fact, with the conversion, dollar for dollar, it's slightly cheaper in Canada
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

mtbr member
    Then shoppers from US should buy from Canada, but no because of import charges would make it more expensive, the same reason the price should even out between US and Canada.
    Still more expensive in Canada no matter how you slice it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Then shoppers from US should buy from Canada, but no because of import charges would make it more expensive, the same reason the price should even out between US and Canada.
    Still more expensive in Canada no matter how you slice it.
    Sorry, but I don't understand or follow what you're saying.

Not sure how you conclude its more expensive for a consumer in canada than u.s. When you factor in the current exchange rate.

mtbr member
    Because the bike would have an import charge from Canada to the US.
    Even when the dollar was at par or better, products were still more expensive in Canada, reason given; import charges to bring the product in from the US.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There's also a 13% duty (not hst) to import complete bicycles into canada. So omitting one from the U.S. into canada encounters the same costs. Duties are charged based on country of origin and not country of sales.

I'm not sure what you are asking for from RSD. If you were responsible for pricing the bikes, how would you have prices them in CAD and usd?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    There's also a 13% duty (not hst) to import complete bicycles into canada. So omitting one from the U.S. into canada encounters the same costs. Duties are charged based on country of origin and not country of sales.

I'm not sure what you are asking for from RSD. If you were responsible for pricing the bikes, how would you have prices them in CAD and usd?
    That is exactly what I am referring to, Duties, Brokerage fees and import charges, if Canadian vendors are giving these reasons for bikes being imported from the US are more expensive, wouldn't the same sort of charges be incurred by the US vendors when importing a bike from Canada.

mtbr member
    This bike looks really nice but I have a few questions for people who own one:
    -How do you like the handling of the bike? I'm concerned that the chainstays are a bit long and I won't be able to easily lift the front wheel.
    -Anyone riding one of these in the New England area? Where did you buy it/test it out?

Thanks.

Rocking on a Rocky
    This bike is a hard charger in the technical single track. I can wheelie it no problem. And it climbs like a monkey on crack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    [QUOTE=Aceldama;11553832]This bike looks really nice but I have a few questions for people who own one:

Handling is great...Wheelies like a champ! I got mine at Chucks Bikes up in Vt...little up there, but a great shop. I have a medium and live around Boston (metro West) if you want a spin.

Matt

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I find it is a little difficult to wheelie compared to bikes with shorter chainstays, however it descends like a rocket when paired with a tall fork (483mm axle-to-crown height), giving it a fairly slack head tube angle. I ran a shorter (460mm) fork and the handling was twitchy and the front wheel very difficult to lift due to the lower front end.

Rocking on a Rocky

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MB2713;11557290]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    This bike looks really nice but I have a few questions for people who own one:

Handling is great...Wheelies like a champ! I got mine at Chucks Bikes up in Vt...little up there, but a great shop. I have a medium and live around Boston (metro West) if you want a spin.

Matt
    Hey Matt thanks for the info and invite to check out your bike, I'll send you a PM.

The Mayor is definitely in the running and I'm sure I could make a fun day trip out of heading up to VT.

mtbr member
    so in so waiting in NJ why are the fat gods against me

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone have a picture of a Mayor with bluto?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d34nclub View Post
    Anyone have a picture of a Mayor with bluto?
    there is a picture on the RSD twitter site, blue mayor with bluto....
    Product designer @RSDBikes.com

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    anywhere you can buy these online?
    Josh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emp? View Post
    anywhere you can buy these online?
    give the guys at pedal the planet a call......
    Product designer @RSDBikes.com

"Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    there is a picture on the RSD twitter site, blue mayor with bluto....
    Not sure what the model is that they have pictured in blue but it's not a fatty
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Not sure what the model is that they have pictured in blue but it's not a fatty
    Those are 29" wheels , RSD is just letting you know what's possible w/ their fat frames.
    They have done a poor job of marketing these bikes IMO. There is very little info / pics. At one point I was interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Those are 29" wheels , RSD is just letting you know what's possible w/ their fat frames.
    They have done a poor job of marketing these bikes IMO. There is very little info / pics. At one point I was interested.
    At one point I was interested too. Couldn't bring myself to spend 2000+ for something I couldn't ride first.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    They have done a poor job of marketing these bikes IMO. There is very little info / pics.
    I agree that the website and Facebook page are terrible, but if you have any questions just email them. I've asked a tonne of questions and Alex has always gotten back quickly.

Now if my bike would just arrive I could post a few pictures and help them out a little with the marketing

mtbr member
    RSD owners how are the wheels on these complete builds. Not seeing much info on them. Anyone set up tubeless?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    tubeless can be done bra.
    and seriously, just go grab a Norco Bigfoot or Samsqanch (bubbles rulz) and save your $$$. carbon fork on the 6.1 Bigfoot and tires are aWesome. AND besT? they come with two, yes 2 front rings. dont have to waste $$ on making the RSd werk in the hills.
    all the best
    ps: Norcos are aboot as CDN as RSD's.
    pss: rsd fats will eVentually come w two rings....just a denial thang.

mtbr member
    Thanks for input but you obviously hadn't looked at the specs between the 2. $100 more and rsd blows that Norco Bigfoot 6.1 away in components. Mayor is 190mm vs 170mm and those brakes, no thank you. I would have gone single up front no matter what bike I buy and RSD made my choice easy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i need some help with sizing on the mayor. im 6ft and ride not sure if i need medium or large. im gonna use it for winter trail ripping and not much of long distance touring so im thinking i should go for medium which has ETT length of 24inches. seat tube length on large is 21inches which seems too long as well...any thoughts guys?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by powanddirt View Post
    i need some help with sizing on the mayor. im 6ft and ride not sure if i need medium or large. im gonna use it for winter trail ripping and not much of long distance touring so im thinking i should go for medium which has ETT length of 24inches. seat tube length on large is 21inches which seems too long as well...any thoughts guys?
    I am 5'11" and always ride large trail bike but matching them numbers put me on a medium Mayor though I don't have it in my possession yet.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    ya i think we are on a same boat. i like my bikes on a smaller side and ride medium banshee spitfire v2 in summer which has ETT of just over 23inches so i think i will have trouble throwing around large mayor. medium mayor with 50mm is gonna put me when i want it im thinking.... did you go with bluto or carbon fork?

mtbr member
    I am a simple man so carbon fork.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    cool. im intrigued with bluto but since im gonna use it for snow trail riding 90percent of the time im not sure if suspension up front with matter that much. this will be my first fatty and boy do i have no clue!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by powanddirt View Post
    cool. im intrigued with bluto but since im gonna use it for snow trail riding 90percent of the time im not sure if suspension up front with matter that much. this will be my first fatty and boy do i have no clue!
    Me too can't wait...

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast