Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thumper
    ^^lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    frantiklex...
    by the way, thanks for havin class on this forum...
    a buddy said that the first 'generation' mayors can not accept a front derail and that the second batch would be able to be run with a FD...is this correct?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Q&A from their FB page:

What type of front derailleur is required? I have D-type at home.

Answer from RSD Bikes : That should work if it is for 120mm spindle. Max 36T

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ok...thanks trek551....i dont use fb so hadnt saw that.

Quote Originally Posted by bob2 View Post
    frantiklex...
    by the way, thanks for havin class on this forum...
    No fat biker has class. We are classless. You obviously aren't a fat biker.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    here are more photos
    Are these pics of a medium or a large frame?

mtbr member
    No offense Jayem, but in some areas of BC single rings don't cut it. I've ridden plenty in AZ, CO, UT, ID, WA, MT, Switzerland, Costa Rica etc and have been totally happy running a single ring for the vast majority of those rides. Here we often have long steeper technical singletrack climbs that are also often wet and slippery and in order to run a single ring set up I'd need a 26 up front, which unfortunately limits the higher range needed for ridge lines and returning back to home or the car. Now on a Fat bike it is a bigger deal, locally we average about 30 ft of snow a year and mild-ish temps, the snow gets softer and climbing gets to be a bit more interesting, the lower gearing is really needed, more so than the higher for sure. I can see a 22 or 24 single ring working on a fat bike here I guess...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    No offense Jayem, but in some areas of BC single rings don't cut it. I've ridden plenty in AZ, CO, UT, ID, WA, MT, Switzerland, Costa Rica etc and have been totally happy running a single ring for the vast majority of those rides. Here we often have long steeper technical singletrack climbs that are also often wet and slippery and in order to run a single ring set up I'd need a 26 up front, which unfortunately limits the higher range needed for ridge lines and returning back to home or the car. Now on a Fat bike it is a bigger deal, locally we average about 30 ft of snow a year and mild-ish temps, the snow gets softer and climbing gets to be a bit more interesting, the lower gearing is really needed, more so than the higher for sure. I can see a 22 or 24 single ring working on a fat bike here I guess...
    Well, during our ride last evening, myself on a single ring and the others on doubles spun out uphill at pretty much the exact same spot due to losing traction. Not sure what difference having ultra-low gearing would make there.RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-highres_319111842.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    True, some spots are hard to beat regardless of gearing. That's where tire pressure and tread come in.
    The lower gearing kicks in on prolonged climbs, steep switchbacks, getting moving after spinning out or stalling on a steep sections etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Bumping this back up. Anyone own one that can give a little review?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trojan9x View Post
    Fahza29er is getting Frame next week ,so that will be 1 member to give a review.
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Just to be sure there's no confusion with all this talk of adjustable dropouts in the Mayor's thread...

The mayor does not have adjustable dropouts right? They're fixed at 465mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Just to be sure there's no confusion with all this talk of adjustable dropouts in the Mayor's thread...

The mayor does not have adjustable dropouts right? They're fixed at 465mm?
    The Mayor, Specs & Build | RSD Bikes
    13 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trojan9x View Post
    I owne one since 3 weeks now and I am very pleased with it.

I like the built (1X10), the handling in the trail is great. Probably one of the best choice in that price range for a 190mm bike that can theorically run BUD and LOU on 100mm rims.

I noticed a bit of flex when I torqued the crank, and it's a harsh ride when the trail get bumpy... But you get what you've paid for, after all it's an aluminium frame with no suspension...

I mainly use it in flat hard snow trails and snomobile trails... Where it's a pleasure to ride...

I changed the 32t for a 30T and swap the cassette for a XT one. I bought a BUD and LOU duet for snowy condition and they are a lot better than the stock tire. I keep the VEE rubber for the hard pack rides where they perfome a lot better.

I juste hope that winter won't go away too fast !

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I asked about the adjustable dropouts at the time when the production chainstays went up 10mm. The more ''trail'' geometry, 30lb and best bang for the buck had me put a deposit in December. I am annoyed the geo has changed (CS from 455 to 465mm and Head angle from 69d to 70d). In trailbike terms I feel I paid for a Blur TRC and received a Trance X.

How does it ride? Better than anything in its price range. The controls and transmission are good. The carbon fork look a lot like the one on the Yampa. The gearing is too tall for me. I put a 30T in front and it's still too tall. The tires are good but not great. I do not race so for me in the 4.0 range Nates are kings. I have a large frame and I reduced the stem length from 90mm to 70mm to put more weight in the rear. You can drop 1lb by changing to lighter tubes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by trek551 View Post
    I have a large frame and I reduced the stem length from 90mm to 70mm to put more weight in the rear.
    What's your height and inseam?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    6 feet and 32in inseam. On my Mach 5.7 I have a 70mm stem and push my saddle all the way forward with a straight seatpost. On the RSD I put the saddle in the middle of the rails to put more weight on the rear tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got mine last week. It's the only fatbike I've ever ridden. It seems winter is almost over here, but it was fun to ride on the melting snow, where the tires still had enough float to not wallow around.

I have no issues with the tires, I actually find the braking and standing pedalling traction to be a huge upgrade over 2.35 tires on my MTB. I've had both locked up cornering or braking down steep hills but have still felt in control. Pushing up to 30km/hr on paved roads, I do notice some instability, probably want to keep the hands on the bars at those speeds! So I haven't tried Nates, Buds, Lous, HuDus, but I don't really have reason to change tires right now.

32T single ring would be tough on longer hills. Clutch derailleur and NW chainring is well...clutch!

I've 6'2, running a large, and I put a 110mm stem on there.

Hard to beat the value. A sub $2k fatbike that you don't have to swap tires on. I guess some would want to go with lower gears or a 2nd ring, but otherwise, pretty dialed build out of the box.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I recently e-mailed RSD to ask if the Mayor's carbon fork was available to purchase separately; I received a prompt, pleasant reply telling me it would be available this coming winter and would cost $399.00.

I was a bit disappointed I couldn't buy one now but there you go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EccentricRich View Post
    I recently e-mailed RSD to ask if the Mayor's carbon fork was available to purchase separately; I received a prompt, pleasant reply telling me it would be available this coming winter and would cost $399.00.

I was a bit disappointed I couldn't buy one now but there you go.
    Wouldn't the On One Carbon Fork work ?? Its much cheaper with no weight limit.
    13 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAIL CRANKER View Post
    Wouldn't the On One Carbon Fork work ?? Its much cheaper with no weight limit.
    I'm after a carbon fork with a tapered steerer. I might go with the Corvus fork but I'm not sure about all the angles on it. It looks a little "fussy" to me.

I should've bought the previous Fatback carbon fork with the tapered steerer but by the time I'd made my mind up Fatback had sold them all. If anyone has one for sale please get in touch with me. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricRich View Post
    I should've bought the previous Fatback carbon fork with the tapered steerer but by the time I'd made my mind up Fatback had sold them all. If anyone has one for sale please get in touch with me. Thanks.
    That fork won't fit a bud though, right?

mtbr member
    My frame has the tapered head tube but it came with the headset with the reducer for 1 1/8" fork , i don't know how much of a difference it would make with tapered fork never tried one.
    13 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Picked up a mayor last week really loving the snow riding. Its myfirst fatty. Im hooked. Any suggest on a cheap way to drop a pound or 2 off bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Weight of stock
    Tubes : 460g x 2
    rim tape: 85g x 2
    cassette: 396g
    seatpost: 278g
    handlebar: 288g
    stem: 151g
    seatpost qr: 60g
    F+R brakes: 680g
    rotors: 136g x 2
    grips: 92g
    seat : 220g
    rear shifter + clamp no cables: 116g
    rear deraileur: 291g

Start saving!
    Last edited by trek551; 03-20-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast