Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
Results 1,401 to 1,439 of 1439
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Changing tires

Time to switch to "summer" tires. I've got a pair of Jumbo Jim's ready to go, but I can't get the Minion's off the rims. Is there a trick to removing the tires? It feels like they are glued on, and for the life of me I can't pry them off.

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBRXX View Post
    Time to switch to "summer" tires. I've got a pair of Jumbo Jim's ready to go, but I can't get the Minion's off the rims. Is there a trick to removing the tires? It feels like they are glued on, and for the life of me I can't pry them off.
    These tires were the biggest PITA to remove, that I've ever had. I had to use metal tire lever and soap to get mine off. I'm not looking forward to doing it again in a week, I'm swapping my rear Minion FBR 4.8 to a 4.0.

Good luck.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    These tires were the biggest PITA to remove, that I've ever had. I had to use metal tire lever and soap to get mine off. I'm not looking forward to doing it again in a week, I'm swapping my rear Minion FBR 4.8 to a 4.0.

Good luck.
    Thanks, I'll keep prying away. Hopefully I don't put a hole in them, they're great for the snow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Thanks, I'll keep prying away. Hopefully I don't put a hole in them, they're great for the snow.
    Put your feet on the tire and pull the wheel holding spokes & rim just enough to clear the tire bead seat off the rim bed.

You have to get towards the lower part of the rim bed in the middle to have more space to fit your tire lever.
    Metal tire lever that is!

Good luck!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Here's the method I have had success with..
    Lay a block of wood below the rim and place the edge of your shoe to the edge of the rim and step forcefully down on the tire. Grabbing the spokes may just lead to a handful of broken spoke nipples. MuleFut are a pita to dismount tires from. My Scrapers are worse!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Let the air out of your tire>get a mid size C clamp>clamp it on both sides of the tire clamp close as you can to the rim>put a thin board between the rim (so not to damage the rim) and the C clamp and peel the tire off the bead as you use the C clamp as a lever. Once the tire is starting to come off the bead you can use your tire lever for the rest.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-tire-c-clamp.jpg
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Let the air out of your tire>get a mid size C clamp>clamp it on both sides of the tire clamp close as you can to the rim>put a thin board between the rim (so not to damage the rim) and the C clamp and peel the tire off the bead as you use the C clamp as a lever. Once the tire is starting to come off the bead you can use your tire lever for the rest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire c clamp.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	1127932
    That must definitely be the easiest way!

Will definitely try that next...

Thanks!

2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Yup, the C-Clamp was the way I ended up breaking the bead. I needed metal tire irons to get the tire off, though. When I did the front wheel, the bead broke on both sides of the rim; I assumed it did so on the rear as well, but I ended up having to re-insert the tube and got back to the C-clamps to get the other bead to break. At least I've got the process down now, and it's not too bad. One other thing to note, is once the bead has broken, let the air out of the inner tube before inserting the tire irons. I really hope I never get a flat out on the trails, I don't want to have to ride around with c-clamps and tire irons. Tubeless is looking like a better idea.

BTW, the JJ's are looking good, the mayor almost looks "nimble". I'm looking forward to trying them out. I switched to some light-weight tubes, too (WTB 26x2.5) saved about 1.25 pounds on each wheel.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Brian, the JJ's are awesome for their rideability. Rolling resistance is very mild. They feel light compared to other choices.
    I've run em with Surly Lite tubes and have gone back to tubeless. This time with Orange Seal. I hated Stan's due to the
    hard scum layer making my tires feel stiff and dead. I like springy tires so I can get trialsy. So far the Orange Seal has been
    excellent without seepage or other issues.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks Banshee, I'll look into the Orange Seal. I just swapped my chainring to the OneUp Oval 32T, as well, now I just have to wait for the trails to dry up enough to ride them without destroying them. April Showers suck.

One more question, has anyone replaced the skewer for the Bluto? Mine is pretty much shot, I think it wasn't lubed enough, and when I tightened it, I couldn't remove it without bending the collar. It still works, but the "locking" mechanism is shot. From what I can tell, the DT Swiss RWS is compatible. I really don't want to drop $90 on a replacement skewer that is as poorly designed as the SRAM. I'm also hoping I can get it from a Canadian shop, or at least someone that won't charge an arm and a leg to ship to Canada.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    One more question, has anyone replaced the skewer for the Bluto? Mine is pretty much shot, I think it wasn't lubed enough, and when I tightened it, I couldn't remove it without bending the collar. It still works, but the "locking" mechanism is shot. From what I can tell, the DT Swiss RWS is compatible. I really don't want to drop $90 on a replacement skewer that is as poorly designed as the SRAM. I'm also hoping I can get it from a Canadian shop, or at least someone that won't charge an arm and a leg to ship to Canada.
    Never mind, I just found the hex-key adjustment on the skewer, I tightened it up, and it seems to be fine now. C-clamp to tighten the collar, and I should be good to go.An lesson learned: do not over-tighten the skewer when attaching the wheel.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    One Up needs to offer their chainrings in Mayor approved colors... Sarge approved is also a requirement to get the job offer.

Glad you sorted the qr issue. Damn, there are too many designs of these through *******s, axles. Seems these manufacturers have never heard of IS.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just passing by to post some pictures of my friday ride! You will see some Mayor approved colors in this one!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170325_120756819_hdr.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170325_120821048.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170325_121055513.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170325_122225473.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Lookin good, Ralph! High country still has snow but close to home there's some dirt to ride. Doesn't get better than that.
    Doctor recommended...

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    Just passing by to post some pictures of my friday ride! You will see some Mayor approved colors in this one!
    me likey orange, nom nom.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Lookin good, Ralph! High country still has snow but close to home there's some dirt to ride. Doesn't get better than that.
    no dirt just mud here as the freekin rain hits just when it's time to ride.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We've got some rain yesterday and today. Last night was barely rideable in the trails but manageable. I may have to move my rides on the road in the upcoming days until the dirt shows itself...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Who said Fatbike couldn't be shared with the small ones?

My 3-1/2 yo daughter is really enjoying the ride on her MacRide since she's 3yo! I've use the WeeRide before that.
    Will keep doing this on the Mayor in 29+ & The Catalyst 700+ this coming summer.

Good Times!

2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm thinking of joining the Mayor club for a winter riding (northern Canada, one of the few places with snow and ice each year). For me it also has to be light because of some stairs on my commute to haul it up and down. There are lots of fat options out there which I've tested, including the Mayor, so I'm wondering what makes RSD so special. What better way than to ask the experts here who put out cash to ride it. What are the things you like about the Mayor, particularly the frame and geometry and ride? Any things you don't like or would change (other than components like drive train or brakes that you could swap out)? Any experience with the Ti-Mayor and RSD's house brand carbon wheels for a super light build?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PositiveIon View Post
    I'm thinking of joining the Mayor club for a winter riding (northern Canada, one of the few places with snow and ice each year). For me it also has to be light because of some stairs on my commute to haul it up and down. There are lots of fat options out there which I've tested, including the Mayor, so I'm wondering what makes RSD so special. What better way than to ask the experts here who put out cash to ride it. What are the things you like about the Mayor, particularly the frame and geometry and ride? Any things you don't like or would change (other than components like drive train or brakes that you could swap out)? Any experience with the Ti-Mayor and RSD's house brand carbon wheels for a super light build?
    Frankly, I was looking for a fatbike that wasn't based on repurposed commuter geometry. It had to be a mountain bike first and fatbike second. I didn't desire another pedal strike factory. The Mayor was on the test list for this reason. If it didn't strike a chord I was ready to spend 3-4k on a custom frame built to the constraints set forth in my .dwg file to be transmitted to a frame builder. Alas, the Mayor shows up on a FedUp truck and I promptly cram parts on the frame and pump up the tires. That first pedal showed that I didn't need to spend a bloody fortune on a frame and was good to go with a $1700 bike instead of a $7k bike. My Mayor as equipped weighs 27#'s and that ain't too shabby. With this build I wasn't in weight weenie mode cause I was building a Jeep as opposed to a Ferrari.
    You can expect excellent quality from RSD. You can expect top notch support from Alex, the owner of RSD. Everything RSD has been of good or excellent quality thus far. Honestly, you can't go wrong with the Mayor if you're looking for a mountain bike that can wear Ronald McDonald's shoes!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0737.jpg

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0743.jpg
    Doctor recommended...

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thats excellent! Only 27lb! Could you give a parts list please? I am very interested in this bike.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    they are on sale right now 15% off.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh View Post
    Thats excellent! Only 27lb! Could you give a parts list please? I am very interested in this bike.
    Thanks
    Hope hubs, RD rims X9 drive, Loaded AMX bar, Straitline Amp stem, JJ LiteSkins tubeless. The Mayor is fairly reasonable in terms of weight and being a fatty, weight was not on the list of concern. Performance and a clean appearance with keeping the budget outta the mortgage price range.

Overall, the things I would change on the stock bike are brakes and seat. Bars shall be of a trialsy upsweep as well. For the coin I doubt you'll be able to find another make/model with lifetime warranty on the frame/fork. That has gone away in bikes.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Greetings Mayor owners! First post to this thread. I just took up biking again 2 years ago. I ended up investing in a entry level fat bike. A Motobecane Boris X9 bluto. I've logged over 1700 miles on that bike using Strava to keep track. I've completely love riding a fat bike, I'm a big dude at 270lbs and 6'6" so riding a fat bike sort of feels more like it fits me than a normal, "small tired" MTB.

I made a mistake though with that bike. Its only 170mm rear spacing. So I've found that I need more width for snow riding. So the search started to upgrade to a better bike with better geometry and able to accept the widest of tires. I spend the next year looking at every single fat bike maker out there and ended up choosing the Mayor. Why?

1. Can fit 5" tires
    2. Comes in an XL
    3. Geometry that I like
    4. Comes in raw aluminum, (no more worrying about scratch paint)
    5. Lightweight, (I need to weight mine)
    6. Tubeless ready
    7. Threaded BB
    8. I LOVE that they didn't change the top tube when going to the XL build, (unlike most other companies).

So I waited for this Spring sale to hopefully show up, thinking it might in May. I've been checking their Facebook page daily for the sale too, so when it came up a few weeks ago I jumped! I think I had mine ordered within 4 hours of them posting the sale!

I'm finally a proud owner of a Mayor XL or course.

gone walk about
    ^^ Bigmb be very careful in these parts cuz these guys will borrow your new toy when your not looking.....with particular note to banshee rune...@-@
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Here's the Boris. I'll be keeping the bluto for the Mayor so I don't really know what to do with the Boris without a fork. Any ideas?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170216_101811370_hdr.jpg
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_3152.jpg

And of course the new ride. Yes she's in the bedroom as it was much warmer putter her together inside than in the garage.
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170327_180603566.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170327_180633118.jpg

First two rides have been good but feels really slow with tubes and the Maxxis tires. I'll probably swap out soon after mud season to the JJ 4.0's and run them tubeless. I'm waiting to get some CaneCreek parts to swap the bluto to the Mayor as well. Definitely needed for summer riding.
    Last edited by BigMB; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:17 PM. Reason: Grammar

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Oh great, a grammarian in the Mayor thread!

I've been running the JJ LiteSkin 4'8's and the rolling resistance is noticeably less than my D5's.

wjh, the fuel economy is 5-7 miles per sammich...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This might be a good place to start. https://fat-bike.com/2017/03/rsd-ti-...d-term-review/
    i've been on the Ti Mayor for 2 years and will be happy to offer some feedbacks without being too biased. - email us at info@rsdbikes.com
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

RSD 29+ wheelset

Alex just posted on FB: "We might be bringing a limited quantity of 27+ and 29+ wheelsets for the Mayor. Contact us if you are interested. Info@rsdbikes.com"

mtbr member
    I saw that! I'm wondering what hubs they are going to have and what price point.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I want to mount my Rockshox Bluto on my Mayor. What headset do I need? What came with my bike is the RSD carbon fork with CC ZS-44.

So I guess would I need a whole new headset or can I just order a bearing race for the bluto? I want to be able to swap from the carbon to bluto when I transition to summer riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMB View Post
    I want to mount my Rockshox Bluto on my Mayor. What headset do I need? What came with my bike is the RSD carbon fork with CC ZS-44.

So I guess would I need a whole new headset or can I just order a bearing race for the bluto? I want to be able to swap from the carbon to bluto when I transition to summer riding.
    from personal experience trying to remove the crown race from the carbon fork is a nightmare, so if you are going to be swapping back and forth I would suggest picking up another crown race for the CC ZS-44 and install it on the bluto so you don't have to mess around with trying to press on and take off the race every time you want to swap forks.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMB View Post

Purchase a crown race and go to town!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    That is my intention is to leave the RSD fork's race alone and just be able to swap forks depending upon season. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for the quick response

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Gives options on fork to use. Glad we could hep!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    From RSD facebook page:

It took a while, but we found the right wheel sets. Sun Ringle Duroc Rims 27.5x50mm or 29x50mm laced with Sun Ringle SRC hubs. 15x150 Front. 12x197mm Rear. Optional rear QR adapters. $699 USD / $799 CAD . Delivery is around June 15th. Limited quantities.

I've got my 29's reserved!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sarge is my +bike and the Mayor is full fat, full time. This way it's grab n go.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mukluk 2 owner here, so this is not my forum, but I thought I'd just leave this right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aoF3gH6ym0

Fatbike tour of the Southwest on a Mayor. Pretty rad. Apologies if a repost.

Enjoy!

Jay

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Simon's video is what steered me to the Mayor after I crashed and bent my last fat bike frame due to the rear skewer failing right after I crested a climb. The rear tire came loose causing a loss of control and an endo. One of my nastier crashes including a trip to the ER. I just finished a week ride in the KOFA which is toward the end of the video.

On my bike I did the following mods:
    Double chainrings using a spider and a 24 T granny.
    42 T cassette.
    Jones bars.
    Rear rack.
    Gas Tank
    2 Mt feed bags to carry extra water bottles
    Ortlieb bar bag.
    Jones loop bag.
    Platform pedal
    X9 derailures.
    Brooks saddle.
    ESI grips.
    Ortlieb small (front) panniers used on the rear.
    Dry bag on top of the rear rack.
    MSR Dromedary
    2, 1 gal water jugs.

The bike performed better than I could have hoped for even with all that weight. I tried posting a photo of it loaded bike but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For all the lucky ones who already ride on dirt, here are a few pictures of my ride last night. As you can see, we still have a lot of snow left. Last year, my first ride on dirt was May 15th so I guess it will be close to that date again this year!

Enjoy some last snow pictures for this spring!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170424_182955471.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170424_184820052.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170424_190730619.jpg

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829