Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1415
    gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Being a tomcat myself resolves that one!
    green or raw?? me thinks green with orange bits for highlite.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    he'll have ya busted quick. 650b+ with 3.0's may well do the trick on the mayor and a wheelset of roughly 500 is far less than a sarg.
    shopping around for wheels with fat bike hubs and 27.5+ rims it looks like the price is closer to the $800-$1000 cad range and then tires on top of that with the %35 deal on the sarge that option is looking better and better..

does anyone have any experience on the mayor with + sized wheels?

looks like Alex may have given it a go at one point

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-14682007_962565293852684_7726723178753084899_o.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    When I look at the rear dropouts of the Sergeant, they look superior for mountain biking. Keeping in mind, I can ride Sarge more aggressively than I'm willing to treat the Mayor. That's not to say that the Mayor's geo doesn't suit aggressive riding. I just have a concern about the right side with the removable derailleur hanger. Don't wanna kill my Mayor and Sarge is a perfectly suited bike. Being that the 35% discount is available, you might wanna act on that sooner than later.

Sarge's polished wheels were 700 us. Not cheap, but do look bytchen. I also like having a dedicated fat and +. Too lazy to do the wheel swap when I can wrap my grimy mitts around a grip and get on and ride without drama.

Go for it, trials, another bike is a reward for your hard days work!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by trials4evr View Post
    shopping around for wheels with fat bike hubs and 27.5+ rims it looks like the price is closer to the $800-$1000 cad range and then tires on top of that with the %35 deal on the sarge that option is looking better and better..
    more realistic cost due to fat hubs with i40 rims.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    It has more to do with the overinflated cost. Looking at the cost of a rim is astounding. My fat hubs were 50 bucks more than my 135/100mm hubs. Boost hubs were on par with fat hubs.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    green or raw?? me thinks green with orange bits for highlite.
    Likely seeing it out to Spectrum Powdercoating for something unique.
    Doctor recommended...

gone walk about
    Likely seeing it out to Spectrum Powdercoating for something unique.
    oh shat here we go..........but look forward to the results.

mtbr member
    New fork mounted and back in the saddle, things are noticeably stiffer with the new fork, I am a happy camper.
    A couple of shots on my way to work this morning..RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb14435386.jpg
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb14435383.jpg
    thanks again Alex for getting things sorted out so quickly.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    At least you have some semblance of snow! It's 58f here today. :/
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    It was 15C today, snow is pretty much gone, but there's lots and lots of mud. I'm staying of the trails for now, but the ride on the dirt roads was pretty good. Except for the mud. I've got a SKS Grand MOM fender on the back, but I need something for the front. I don't like how the Grand DAD attaches to the fork, looks like it will be too far away from the tire to provide any real protection, so I was thinking about the SKS X-Board, but I'm not sure the straps will fit around the tube. Does anyone have any experience with this mudguard? Or any suggestions for front mud guards?
    Name:  sks-xboard-guard-med.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  18.3 KB

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Brian, I hadn't really considered mounting fenders. Mostly cause my bikes live in my house and there's nothing worse than giving a bike a bath in cold weather. Some of the "mud guards" don't look to be sufficient coverage to really be effective.

The pic looks like modification wouldn't be too difficult if it turns out to not have long enough straps.

I have been considering some of the clear bra material from the auto parts store to use for various places on the frame to protect it, such as the underside of the down tube.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I've got this one mounted to the front of my and my wife's mayors.
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-0...k-Board-Fender
    Haven't had any mud yet (we still have a ton of snow), but it's worked well for spray from snow and melt water. No problems with the straps going around the tube. It certainly doesn't protect the whole down tube, but keeps the spray off of us so far.

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBRXX View Post
    It was 15C today, snow is pretty much gone, but there's lots and lots of mud. I'm staying of the trails for now, but the ride on the dirt roads was pretty good. Except for the mud. I've got a SKS Grand MOM fender on the back, but I need something for the front. I don't like how the Grand DAD attaches to the fork, looks like it will be too far away from the tire to provide any real protection, so I was thinking about the SKS X-Board, but I'm not sure the straps will fit around the tube. Does anyone have any experience with this mudguard? Or any suggestions for front mud guards?
    Name:  sks-xboard-guard-med.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  18.3 KB

Found this "review" of the X-Board, doesn't look like the straps will be an issue

SKS Mud Guards...Because Mud Happens
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

Muskoka

The Mayor

Still thrilled with this bike, I wouldn't change anything! I haven't posted in this thread at all this winter ...we get so much snow here that most of the winter I am backcountry skiing/ bushwhacking on Altai Hoks. Then late Feb early Mar the deep, soft powder snow goes away, everything firms up, and suddenly it's prime fatbiking time...

https://goo.gl/photos/zvkCm2tECDWh5qBx8

ps: actually I would change one thing. Add bottle cage braces on the underside of the down tube, to free up the inside of the frame for a frame bag.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

does anyone have any experience on the mayor with + sized wheels?

looks like Alex may have given it a go at one point

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14682007_962565293852684_7726723178753084899_o.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	1121695
    I've just ordered a custom 29+ wheelset for summer riding on my 2016 Mayor B3.

On CRC, I get Hope Pro 4 hubs laced onto Easton ARC45 with DT Comp spokes & DT Brass lock nipples. All this for 665$CAD shipped! Might have to had broker fee later...

I've also ordered 29x3 Maxxis Minions DHF/DHR2 3C TR 120tpi on Amazon...

Avid Centerline 180mm rotors on eBay...

To complete a full setup, I'll install the barely used & stock SRAM XG-1150 11spd cassette from my Transition Patrol on the Mayor. Upgrading the Patrol with XG-1180 cassette & X1 chain...the Mayor already has it's X1 chain. the stock KMC chain didn't last a year! :P

So stoked, the wait is unbearable!
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Still thrilled with this bike, I wouldn't change anything! I haven't posted in this thread at all this winter ...we get so much snow here that most of the winter I am backcountry skiing/ bushwhacking on Altai Hoks. Then late Feb early Mar the deep, soft powder snow goes away, everything firms up, and suddenly it's prime fatbiking time...

ps: actually I would change one thing. Add bottle cage braces on the underside of the down tube, to free up the inside of the frame for a frame bag.
    Snow AND sunshine!! I am so jealous!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Found this "review" of the X-Board, doesn't look like the straps will be an issue

SKS Mud Guards...Because Mud Happens
    Thanks! I ordered it last night, and it just left Belfast, I should have it by next week. (The only "problem" with Chainreactions is that I have to order $75 worth of stuff to get cheap shipping).

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbasher View Post

On CRC, I get Hope Pro 4 hubs laced onto Easton ARC45 with DT Comp spokes & DT Brass lock nipples. All this for 665$CAD shipped! Might have to had broker fee later...

To complete a full setup, I'll install the barely used & stock SRAM XG-1150 11spd cassette from my Transition Patrol on the Mayor. Upgrading the Patrol with XG-1180 cassette & X1 chain...the Mayor already has it's X1 chain. the stock KMC chain didn't last a year! :P

All told, how much do you figure that's going to be? It sounds like it's getting close to around $900 ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post

The next best thing after a fatbike in winter has to be Hoks Ski!
    I'm thinking about renting a pair at my local trails since all the conditions for fatbike depends on the snow shoeing there...

I even went snow shoeing with my spare tire hook up to set the fatbike trails!
    But it's a bit long and without any thrill imho.

Hoks skis could be my next tool for that!
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBRXX View Post
    All told, how much do you figure that's going to be? It sounds like it's getting close to around $900 ...
    Yes, I have 991$CAD without the cassette...but I've got my XG-1180 (X1) off eBay for 149$CAD! free shipping!

So 1000$ is pretty much the cost of a complete wheelset...but I don't have anymore space for a 6th bike! :P

So wheelset is my best option... N+1!
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am looking for a 22 or 24 tooth chainring. Race Face says they make a 24 but no one seems to have one. Any ideas as to other companies that make these? I used a 22 as my granny on my last fat bike for loaded touring and it was great with a 42 in back. It would climb anything and it was just like sitting on the couch.

Thanks

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dumdass View Post
    I am looking for a 22 or 24 tooth chainring. Race Face says they make a 24 but no one seems to have one. Any ideas as to other companies that make these? I used a 22 as my granny on my last fat bike for loaded touring and it was great with a 42 in back. It would climb anything and it was just like sitting on the couch.

Thanks
    Peruse these websites...

www.universalcycles.com
    Bicycle Technologies International
    Last edited by BansheeRune; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:46 AM. Reason: fix url
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the ideas. The first link didn't work but the second did list the 24 tooth direct mount chainring but they were out of stock. I am thinking I will have to use a spider.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dumdass View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. The first link didn't work but the second did list the 24 tooth direct mount chainring but they were out of stock. I am thinking I will have to use a spider.
    The ring that I was thinking is made by E13, unfortunately it's proprietary to their crankset. :/
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Thanks for posting a link to your pictures, it's nice to see you back posting on the thread. Your pictures on this forum were one of the reasons I ended up buying a mayor in the first place. Always top quality and the scenery is awesome. It's nice seeing the pup having a good time in the snow too!

Glad to hear you are still happy with the mayor and that its still going strong!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Mayor.

My Mayor is a daily driver. Just can't get enough of the fat year round.
    Doctor recommended...

Muskoka
    The next best thing after a fatbike in winter has to be Hoks Ski!
    I'm thinking about renting a pair at my local trails since all the conditions for fatbike depends on the snow shoeing there...

I even went snow shoeing with my spare tire hook up to set the fatbike trails!
    But it's a bit long and without any thrill imho.

Hoks skis could be my next tool for that!
    The Hoks are great for messing around in the woods, so much more fun than snow shoes ( I have both). Yes, I know someone that does also use them to groom fat bike trails, dragging a tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui6zHVH674g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUirLBXSS_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arRVI2XT9dQ

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Thanks for posting a link to your pictures, it's nice to see you back posting on the thread. Your pictures on this forum were one of the reasons I ended up buying a mayor in the first place. Always top quality and the scenery is awesome. It's nice seeing the pup having a good time in the snow too!

Glad to hear you are still happy with the mayor and that its still going strong!
    Awesome!! And thanks for appreciating!!!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    southern WI area and NO SNOW!!! finally got a little over the weekend. It was one of those quiet, tree snow covered mornings. complete zen on the mayor. for a cell phone, pic turned out pretty good. enjoy

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-20170225_qr.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Couple of shots with the SKS X-Board mudguard (and Grand MOM). Seems to be working well enough, keeping most of the grit out of my teeth.
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2017-02-27-16.24.40.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2017-02-27-16.25.24.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Spring will be here soon enough, how ya keepin the bugs outta your teeth?

Lookin good with the mug guards...

wadedro, at least ya got a little snow!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The orange mayor is an awesome color good choice. I'd also add one of those mud guards to the under side of the fork crown, like a marsh guard or whatever it's called. there are templates online to make your own.. that'd make it look even more bad a$$. If you have a rear rack, here's another option for mud protection. I used scraps from a kiddie pool. Full coverage. Slits on the down tube piece, secured with Velcro. Zip ties for rack attachment and one Velcro strip below seat tube. Did a black plastic extension piece from an old garbage bin off the back of rack using a piece of metal attached to the rack to hold it in place.
    Have fun with it, get creative.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-mayor-mud-guards.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Nicely played, wadedro! Innovative recycling at it's best.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    It's covered in mud, so it's hard to see, but I do have one of those little mud guards under the fork crown, from Muddy Nutz, or something like that, I think.

I just had a revelation on my afternoon ride today, RSD = Rubber Side Down. Sheesh, it took me two and a half months to figure that out!!

mtbr member

That's awesome! I think I have built those exact wheels on CRC a couple times now lol, still cant make a decision between 29+ and 27.5+. you need to take pictures and let us know how the mayor feels with 29+!

mtbr member
    A couple more pix from the commute this morning, the mayor riverside.
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb14468797.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p5pb14468793.jpg
    I sure am enjoying riding in the sunlight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    That's awesome! I think I have built those exact wheels on CRC a couple times now lol, still cant make a decision between 29+ and 27.5+. you need to take pictures and let us know how the mayor feels with 29+!
    Yes! Will do!

I also bought those CRC custom wheels for my Santa Cruz V-10 a few years back, couldn't be happier with the build quality and the Hope Hubs!
    I specially love the loud sound of the rear hub so I don't have to prevent slower riders in front of me! Hahaha

The wheels are being setup tubeless right now...
    So stoked!
    Now I'll have to test ride we're the snow start to go...because we're right in the snow/iced conditions up here!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

RSD Mayor Monster XC 29+!

Just got the wheels back and it's definitely lighter. I'll have to weight it and compare with both wheelset later...

The clearance on the bluto is 7mm so no problem there. This is at 20psi for the tires to seat properly. Might get even more at 12psi...!

I just can't wait to test ride!

Now I want the snow & ice to melt!

That's definitely going to be a killer Monster XC 29+!

Oh and the hub sound... ridiculously loud and I love it!

https://youtu.be/_4O4c1VpuEI

2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can't wait to ear some news about how it rides with those 29+!! I may end up doing the same thing as you if it's great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    I can't wait to ear some news about how it rides with those 29+!! I may end up doing the same thing as you if it's great!
    I just did a quick around the block test ride at 12psi(front)/15psi(rear)...the pressure I will use.

That thing is fast, already feels like it's unstoppable trough ruff pot holes sections in the back alleys around here. Even had a few ice/snow patchs melting in the sun to go trough and feels solid. Guess I'll be able to ride some spring snow conditions soon enough!

I also manage to reinstall the Beaver Guard splash guard on the bluto with still enough clearance.

Here some more pics of the beast in his ready to shred setup! :P

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_1747.jpg

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_1748.jpg

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_1749.jpg
    2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    dhbasher, the mayor looks seriously good with that set up! And that hub! Awesome! I can't wait to hear a bit more about how the 29+ does on the mayor. Did you happen to weigh the stock fat wheels and compair them to the 29+? I'd be interested in seeing how much of a weight difference there actually is. Man your making the mayor/ sergeant decision a hard one!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The Sarge/Mayor was an easy decision. Adjustable cs was part of it. the other was I don't hafta irritate my bikes by takin em apart.

Besides, 2 RSD's are better than one! They're a team...
    Doctor recommended...

gone walk about
    The Sarge/Mayor was an easy decision. Adjustable cs was part of it. the other was I don't hafta irritate my bikes by takin em apart.

Besides, 2 RSD's are better than one! They're a team...
    sort of like green eggs n ham?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    sort of like green eggs n ham?
    Sarge is conversatin with Punkin bout you!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    dhbasher, the mayor looks seriously good with that set up! And that hub! Awesome! I can't wait to hear a bit more about how the 29+ does on the mayor. Did you happen to weigh the stock fat wheels and compair them to the 29+? I'd be interested in seeing how much of a weight difference there actually is. Man your making the mayor/ sergeant decision a hard one!
    Thanks!

Sorry to make your choice even harder...

For me, having 5 bikes is the most I can store so wheelset is the next option to have a 6th bike! N+1

Didn't had a chance to weight anything but I will.

I'm curious to see the weight lost myself. I will post it here for sure!

2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2016 RSD Catalyst
    2013 Felt Breed
    2010 NS Bike Metropolis

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't know how many of you still have snow where they live or if you were in the big Eastern storm yesterday but here is a little capture of my last night ride. We still have well over 3 feet of snow here and nights are still around -20C to -25C. Spring is defenitly comming but we still have a good month left of snow riding for sure!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20170315_190806204.jpg

Muskoka

Current Muskoka snowpack

today's ride...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Excellent pictures, that's what it's all about!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Today's ride was a Jeepin expedition along the Colorado River. Was nice to be in shorts and vented jersey crawlin dem rocks.
    JJ 4.8's were the choice for this outing.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Had a blast today!

Felt like the king of the mountain...

Enduro Fat is real!

Full winter mode!

2016 Transition Patrol 3
    2016 RSD Mayor