Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,600 of 1659
    Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Mayor dressed for commuter duty. New Topeak bag and rack system, pretty damned sweet.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

Flying Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Mayor dressed for commuter duty. New Topeak bag and rack system, pretty damned sweet.
    Cool!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post

What model rack is that?

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    What model rack is that?
    UNI SUPER TOURIST FAT

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ouristfat_disc

Went on super easy, the mounting bracket arms needed a bit of bending and twisting, but that was easy with an adjustable wrench. Other than that cake and solid.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Flying Sasquatch
    Finally got out of the bike park to do some XC stuff. Had a blast going around Bogus Basin Ski resort on a trail called Around the Mountain. Frankenmayor really impressed me though. Climbed great, felt nimble, and monster trucked over everything.
    No pics of me riding, just beautiful scenery.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-meadow-ski-run.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-nealio-top-mountain.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-singletrack.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-trail-through-trees.jpg

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    Finally got out of the bike park to do some XC stuff. Had a blast going around Bogus Basin Ski resort on a trail called Around the Mountain. Frankenmayor really impressed me though. Climbed great, felt nimble, and monster trucked over everything.
    No pics of me riding, just beautiful scenery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meadow ski run.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	1145963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nealio top of the mountain.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	1145964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	singletrack.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	1145965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trail through the trees.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	1145966

Damn Squatch looking good, nice playground you have there to braaap about it. Congrats on the great riding.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hello,
    just wanted to let everyone here know that we've received a limited quantities of Plus wheels for The Mayor
    Available in 27.5 and 29in
    Duroc 50mm Rims (Tubeless compatible) laced with Sun Ringle SRC Hubs
    15x150mm Front
    12x197mm Rear with a free set of QR 190mm Adapters
    $699 USD + Shipping
    $799 CAD + Taxes and Shipping
    info@rsdbikes.com
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    Instagram - facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_0753.jpg
    Quick pic

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Mayor 29er

I've been under the weather since I got the 29+ wheels mounted, but was finally able to get out for a halfway decent ride this morning.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2017-08-20-11.11.24.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2017-08-20-11.40.52.jpg

The ride is ... different. Not better, not worse, just different. I'll keep them on a bit longer and give them a chance, but I don't think they made me any faster, or allowed me to get up hills any more easily, even though I figure the bike is about a pound light now (probably a bit more, I have weighed the wheels yet).

I moved the stock cassette over from the 80mm rim and put a SunRace 11-46 cassette on the fat tire. I haven't tried that yet, but I think it's going to make snow riding a bit easier.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Brian, lookin good! I continue to be on the fence about the +wheel option with my Mayor. Then I see Sarge and the Wildcat also wanna go out and play!
    The feel of the JJ 4.8"s is irreplaceable, so yeah *back to the fence* I should try to get an idea of whether Sarge's 3.8's would fit in there tho.

That forested area just looks a pleasure to explore and find new single tracks to rip... Carry on!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a "17 Mayor w/ carbon fork. The headset keeps coming loose so I am looking to switch to a King headset. Does anyone know the correct King replacement number or the complete specs on the Cane Creek?

Thanks in advance.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Inset 3.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hey, something you should be doing that I know helped with my carbon fork is using carbon assembly compound like the one park tool offers. Its basically a grease like substance with grit in it. Without it my headset would loosen within a week. Get the carbon assembly compound take off your stem, coat the steerer tube in the stuff, re assemble the stem onto the steerer tighten your top cap then align your bars and torque the bolts on the steerer clamp of your stem to spec. The headset brand is not going to do much to prevent the loosening of the headset. Save yourself some money and try carbon assembly compound first!

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    I also found the stock compression plug to be a huge POS , which I swapped with an FSA like the one in pic. Also paste does indeed help.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the info. I will check to see if they used carbon assembly compound when the shop put it together for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Winter on my mind

It's 26c and sunny (about 80f) but I'm already thinking about snow ... and ice.

I just picked up a set of 45NRTH Nicotine tires for my 29+ wheels. I was looking at Wrathchild and Dillinger, but I really liked the Minions for the snow. I figure since I have an extra set of wheels, I might as well make use of them. I should be able to easily swap between them depending on how much ice vs snow we have.

The only other issue I had with winter riding last season was cold hands. Hopefully the Cobrafist will remedy that.RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2017-09-15-10.34.44.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Winter is coming

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2017-10-29-13.57.25.jpg

I had forgotten what a blast the Minions were. Yeah, they are a bit slower than the Jumbo Jims, but they are fast enough for the friends I ride with, and wow, that grip!! No snow yet, but temperatures are headed in the right direction. The Cobra Fists are plenty warm. Too warm for 8c, good thing they have vents.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBRXX View Post
    I had forgotten what a blast the Minions were. Yeah, they are a bit slower than the Jumbo Jims, but they are fast enough for the friends I ride with, and wow, that grip!! No snow yet, but temperatures are headed in the right direction. The Cobra Fists are plenty warm. Too warm for 8c, good thing they have vents.
    Good stuff, Brian! Glad to see an orange bike out in the leaves raisin hell.

I'm not impressed with the Wrathchild 27.5 x 3.0's I bought. they are more like a 2.6, and I love the fatter 3.0 air volume. Will try em in the winter months. Perhaps I'll stud em up and rip em as a dedicated winter tire.

On the Minyun front, I keep lookin at em cause they do look awesome. If they are offered in a non EXO, I'll become more interested in em. Still enjoying the Jumbo's for their excellent dand riding manners.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    In winter time, I'm using a good pair of cross country skiing gloves down to -15C and below that I take my snowmobile leather gloves.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Howdy, Ralph! I'm looking forward to the snow and a good adventure with my Mayor. The 5.05's need to be set up and given a go this time around. Lookin forward to tryin em out and playing with the pressure to get the most out of em. As large as they are, it takes time to drop 1 psi from em.
    Should be good stuff! Damn, I love my orange snowmobike!
    Doctor recommended...

Flying Sasquatch
    All this snow riding talk is bumming me out. This Mayor absolutely rips on the dry dirt with 4.0's.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    All this snow riding talk is bumming me out. This Mayor absolutely rips on the dry dirt with 4.0's.
    The Mayor gets to play in the dirt still. :/ Snow ain't here yet. When the temp goes below freezing, he does the snow dance! My bike and I are jonesin for some white powder...
    Meanwhile, the JJ 4.08's are staying on and at 8 psi. Play time is on, either way. Soon as the snow starts flyin, the coin gets tossed to determine wether it's gonna be Bud/Lou or the 5.05's.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, we got our first snow last night. Could not ride the Mayor since I had to change the car tires to the winter ones. Here are two pictures of the snow for you all.

5h00 PM last night
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20171030_165146518.jpg

6h30 AM this morning (poor quality, sorry! )
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20171031_062244982.jpg

Tonight will be a great one! Out in the snow with the Mayor!!!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Ralph, you're doing it wrong!! Load up the Mayor, go to the tire shop and let em do the deed while you play with the Mayor.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm not doing it wrong at all. That 75$ not invested in tire swap will help me pay for a new chain and a new chainring!

And I was able to go out last night so here are some pictures of the orange beast in the snow. My phone clearly isn't good at night pictures but still shows how it was. Between -6C and -8C last night and did a nice 1h55 ride.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20171031_183745218.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20171031_194009747.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Fortunately, I get the job done at the shop I service at and do a full service at the same time. Then there's the bikes, they get the royal treatment at all times.

And those shops that don't do a wheel swap for their regular custy are losing business to those that do courtesy services. Their loss!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    I'm not doing it wrong at all. That 75$ not invested in tire swap will help me pay for a new chain and a new chainring!

And I was able to go out last night so here are some pictures of the orange beast in the snow. My phone clearly isn't good at night pictures but still shows how it was. Between -6C and -8C last night and did a nice 1h55 ride.

Name:	IMG_20171031_183745218.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	1165095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171031_194009747.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1165096
    Ohhhh, I am SOOOO jealous!! Enjoy the snow!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well...saturday there wasn't that much left in the woods but it still was fun! It's snowing again as I write.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Well...saturday there wasn't that much left in the woods but it still was fun! My Mayor is doing the snow dance and it's snowing again as I write.
    There, fixed it for ya!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just did the Black Canyon Trail in AZ on my Mayor. Great ride. 3 1/2 day including a 30 mile road ride home at the end. I carried an Ortlieb bar bag and I used my 2 smaller Ortlieb panniers on the rear as well as a dry bag on the rear rack. I like to camp in comfort. I did take a side trip into Black Canyon City because I was having some dehydration issues caused by my own stupidity. Using the fix recommended here for the headset, it held tight. I used the Mayor rather than my Ti Fargo due to the rocky conditions on much of the trail. I think it was a good choice but I did pay a speed penalty. The longer I have this bike the more I love it. If you are not familiar with the Black Canyon Trail check it out on Youtube, it is a great ride.
    Last edited by dumdass; 11-10-2017 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We had a nice snow storm last night...can't wait to take the Mayor out tonight! Over 20cm of white powder everywhere!!!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    We had a nice snow storm last night...can't wait to take the Mayor out tonight! Over 20cm of white powder everywhere!!!
    Mayor observes powder day!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, time for some more pictures of the Mayor in the snow.

First one was last Friday by the side of the Harricana river that cross my town.
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20171110_191916377.jpg

The second one is around mid-ride last night. It was snowing and the wind was pretty strong.
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20171115_194622098.jpg

The last one is back home. The Mayor clearly got heavier by the end of the ride. I don't understand why...maybe the snow in the front wheel?
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20171115_203302079.jpg

We've got close to 20cm again over the night and it's still snowing today. Winter is clearly here to stay!!

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by dumdass View Post
    I just did the Black Canyon Trail in AZ on my Mayor. Great ride. 3 1/2 day including a 30 mile road ride home at the end. I carried an Ortlieb bar bag and I used my 2 smaller Ortlieb panniers on the rear as well as a dry bag on the rear rack. I like to camp in comfort. I did take a side trip into Black Canyon City because I was having some dehydration issues caused by my own stupidity. Using the fix recommended here for the headset, it held tight. I used the Mayor rather than my Ti Fargo due to the rocky conditions on much of the trail. I think it was a good choice but I did pay a speed penalty. The longer I have this bike the more I love it. If you are not familiar with the Black Canyon Trail check it out on Youtube, it is a great ride.
    Sounds like a damn good time DA, thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you got the headset issues resolved.

Def gonna give youtube a look. Thanks
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by lraphl View Post
    well, time for some more pictures of the mayor in the snow.

First one was last friday by the side of the harricana river that cross my town.

Name:	IMG_20171110_191916377.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	1167852

the second one is around mid-ride last night. It was snowing and the wind was pretty strong.

Name:	IMG_20171115_194622098.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	1167853

the last one is back home. The mayor clearly got heavier by the end of the ride. I don't understand why...maybe the snow in the front wheel?

Name:	IMG_20171115_203302079.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	1167854

we've got close to 20cm again over the night and it's still snowing today. Winter is clearly here to stay!!
    !!!hells yeah!!!
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Flying Sasquatch

All these snow shots are depressing

Here is a little dry dirt fun from today

Flying Sasquatch
    One more

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    The Mayor gets to play in the dirt still. :/ Snow ain't here yet. When the temp goes below freezing, he does the snow dance! My bike and I are jonesin for some white powder...
    Meanwhile, the JJ 4.08's are staying on and at 8 psi. Play time is on, either way. Soon as the snow starts flyin, the coin gets tossed to determine wether it's gonna be Bud/Lou or the 5.05's.
    I'd be going Bud/5.05. But since I only have Lou or XL studded with a mix of KK and regular studs. Probably gonna be Bud/Lou till the snow settles down and I get some good trails packed.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Bud?Lou works just dandy on the snowmobile trails. I run em most of the winter since nothing else comes close to their performance. The 5.05's are more of a novelty item.
    Conditions for their use is there but the weight penalty and loss of fuel economy!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had good results last winter with my Maxxis FBR/FBF 4.8 on snowmobile trails. I'm not a fan of Maxxis tires but since they came with the Mayor, I will use them until they are done. So far I think they are a good compromise for all conditions. Good on everything but never great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I replaced my studded snowshoe XL's with Bud and Lou last week. What a difference. Better on packed and loose snow. Finally I can corner with less constant fear of having the front wheel wash out.
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20171130_160304.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    reckhard, there is simply no substitute for Bud/Lou.

With the lack of snow, I have not swapped the JJ's out for the Bud/Lou yet. Cannot wait to do so! I really enjoy those tires in good snow conditions.
    Surly needs to redesign the beads to be more conducive with tubeless.

Ralph, it's good to hear the FBF/FBR are good in snow. Wish there was snow here in Colorado but its been too warm for good snow. Don't wanna have slush and mud cause washing a bike at this time of year is a pita.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I asked my girlfriend to take a picture of me and the Mayor after my ride monday night. It was snowing a lot and I had a great time even if my glasses were always fogging.

The nice thing about asking my girlfried to take a picture is that I don't need to blur it...she's doing a great job at taking pictures already blured!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20171204_201637326.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Truth be told, I have had my Mayor frame up for sale, until yesterday. I bought a frame this past spring with every intention of building it right away, but it just sat. Honestly, I was not impressed by it. Fair paint quality, mediocre welds, downtube gusset welded on crooked, BB threads were not very well chased, the absolute worst rear brake routing and mount, plus it weighs a ton. I went ahead and built it in September with a carbon fork, 1x11, Marge Lites on Hopes, Flowbeist/Ground Control tires. I took it for one ride on a flow trail and an XC trail and hated it. Slow even for a fat bike, sluggish handling, no "life" to it at all- the same trails on my Pugsley were all grins and giggles. I parked it (until yesterday) and decided to sell the frame and try something else. We have had several good snows, so I decided to give it one more try. Terrible conditions with drifts, post holes from hikers, super cold and windy. Surpisingly and oddly, it was like a different bike. It rode much "lighter" than before, handled the crappy conditions with aplomb, and kept going without any floppiness even at super slow crawling speeds. I am going to keep it through the winter, ride it a bunch and see how it fares the transition into spring.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Truth be told, I have had my Mayor frame up for sale, until yesterday. I bought a frame this past spring with every intention of building it right away, but it just sat. Honestly, I was not impressed by it. Fair paint quality, mediocre welds, downtube gusset welded on crooked, BB threads were not very well chased, the absolute worst rear brake routing and mount, plus it weighs a ton. I went ahead and built it in September with a carbon fork, 1x11, Marge Lites on Hopes, Flowbeist/Ground Control tires. I took it for one ride on a flow trail and an XC trail and hated it. Slow even for a fat bike, sluggish handling, no "life" to it at all- the same trails on my Pugsley were all grins and giggles. I parked it (until yesterday) and decided to sell the frame and try something else. We have had several good snows, so I decided to give it one more try. Terrible conditions with drifts, post holes from hikers, super cold and windy. Surpisingly and oddly, it was like a different bike. It rode much "lighter" than before, handled the crappy conditions with aplomb, and kept going without any floppiness even at super slow crawling speeds. I am going to keep it through the winter, ride it a bunch and see how it fares the transition into spring.
    Um, you didn't contact Alex with your concerns? Perhaps, it would behoove you to contact Alex regarding quality issues although, it's been quite a while since you purchased it. It's still under warranty...

My Mayor has no issue with anything listed. I have been treating the bike as I would any mountain bike with no issues of any sort.
    Arizona, last January was a blast with the Mayor!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    reckhard, there is simply no substitute for Bud/Lou.

With the lack of snow, I have not swapped the JJ's out for the Bud/Lou yet. Cannot wait to do so! I really enjoy those tires in good snow conditions.
    Surly needs to redesign the beads to be more conducive with tubeless.

Ralph, it's good to hear the FBF/FBR are good in snow. Wish there was snow here in Colorado but its been too warm for good snow. Don't wanna have slush and mud cause washing a bike at this time of year is a pita.
    totally agreed about the B/L combo. One of the best. I just kinda wish Surly would come out with a smaller Bud. Like in the 3.8 range. It would be an even better summer tire tahn it is now. But in the fresh snow. NOTHING stears like a Bud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Um, you didn't contact Alex with your concerns? Perhaps, it would behoove you to contact Alex regarding quality issues although, it's been quite a while since you purchased it. It's still under warranty...

My Mayor has no issue with anything listed. I have been treating the bike as I would any mountain bike with no issues of any sort.
    Arizona, last January was a blast with the Mayor!
    None of the issues I listed have anything to do with the function of the bike, and the brake routing nonsense is a design issue, not a warranty issue. It was a $500 frame, not a $1600 Quiring custom, so it is what it is. It was very impressed on how well it rode, so that is why I am sticking with it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    None of the issues I listed have anything to do with the function of the bike, and the brake routing nonsense is a design issue, not a warranty issue. It was a $500 frame, not a $1600 Quiring custom, so it is what it is. It was very impressed on how well it rode, so that is why I am sticking with it.
    The brake placement on the rear is fine with me. It's very similar to my stock trials bike which spreads braking forces through both the chainstay and seat stay as opposed to delivering all that stress into one member of the frame. The way the hose routes to my Hope Tech 3 E4 is a very nice sweeping approach to the banjo.

After having ridden a wide variety of fatbike and (there is one paramount expectation, it will have a dirt geometry) found most of em were not much more than a bastardized commuter that now will accept a 4.8" tire, the Mayor felt more offroad inspired. The alternative, Call Scott Quiring and send the blueprints that are on my computer. This would provide my favorite feature, a zero drop BB for that beloved trialsy flavor that is preferred.

In the end, the Mayor is a Jeep that is truly trail rated.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 01-09-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    Thatís interesting because Iíve never been super impressed with the Budís steering ability. I really like the combo for the suppleness of the cases but Iíve been wondering if a Lou would work better as a front tire? Iíve seen some guys running that combination but Iíve never tried it.
    The Bud has it's place. While it does do a good job as a "rudder", with the inline tread paddles, braking can be dodgy. I could see Lou as being excellent on the front with the multi directional tread paddles. Reversing direction is also helpful.

Overall, I have enjoyed the Bud on the front with 2-4 psi for snow of significance. I'ma beanpole so I can ride my tires with wrinkles successfully.

Once I break down and change my bike into the Bud/Lou, I'll give a Lou/Lou a go. Frankly, I think it will be very doable.
    The one time that tubeless sux is tire change and experimentation time...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I've had my mayor for some time now but resently have been riding more frequently especially in the snow. Since I bought the bike I've been wanting to put a 42 tooth on the rear. What do you guys recommend and where can I get one?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco taco View Post
    I've had my mayor for some time now but resently have been riding more frequently especially in the snow. Since I bought the bike I've been wanting to put a 42 tooth on the rear. What do you guys recommend and where can I get one?
    A 42 can be ordered from any bike shop or online retailer such as universalcycles.com

Personally, I'm using a 28 front and 36-11 rear without issue. This gives the option of a short cage rd to keep my drivetrain up closer to the bike and further from the rubbish. Going to a 30 front gives a little more top end but robs from the bottom end. All in all, the Mayor is my other Jeep so low gearing is more important than high speed.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Bud and Lou rule!

Over a month into the Bud and Lou and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I've used them in just about every winter condition and temperature and they are great in every situation. I bike with a couple guys that run studded Dillengers on the front and back and am better off on everything but glare ice. On pure ice no one is having much fun though...

A pic from yesterday.
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20180114_123711.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by reckhard View Post
    Over a month into the Bud and Lou and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I've used them in just about every winter condition and temperature and they are great in every situation. I bike with a couple guys that run studded Dillengers on the front and back and am better off on everything but glare ice. On pure ice no one is having much fun though...

A pic from yesterday.
    My experience with Bud/Lou has been right in there too! I enjoy em and have 4 seasons on em now. What really amazes me is that I ride em wrinkly all winter long and they still look like new. So for those peeps that worry that wrinkling my fatbike tires will break the threads in the tires, these tolerate it perfectly. The broken thread issue does happen with some tires however, it seems Surly's manufacturer, Innova has it going on for a tire that is designed to be used with stupid low pressure.

I found a pair of Clownshoe rims with brand spankin new Bud/Lou on em at the local sporting good consignment store for $150 and snapped em up in a flash! Gonna lace em up and have a 2nd set of wheels.
    Doctor recommended...

Flying Sasquatch
    I'm running a 11-46 Sunrace 11 speed cassette and honestly it works better than the stock SRAM NX cassette I had. And it costs less than a Wolftooth replacement cog...

mtbr member
    I'm running a 11-46 Sunrace 11 speed cassette and honestly it works better than the stock SRAM NX cassette I had. And it costs less than a Wolftooth replacement cog...
    Did you have to do anything to your chain or derailleur?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The only thing you need to do is proper chain length...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I made the same switch. Works great. Didnít have to mess with B screw or anything.

Flying Sasquatch
    Did you have to do anything to your chain or derailleur?
    No I didn't do anything. YMMV

mtbr member
    Well we finally got enough snow here to make riding the Sarge a struggle, I've been monstertrucking around on the Mayor this past week and damn I forgot how much fun this thing is!

a few pix from my ride to work this morning..
    RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p4pb15557113.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p4pb15557112.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-p4pb15557111.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

The thread's been a bit light lately

So here are a couple of pictures ...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2018-02-10-11.41.25.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2018-02-10-10.41.43.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2018-01-15-12.49.12.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2018-01-13-12.40.13.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2017-12-30-14.22.51.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-2017-12-23-13.58.35.jpg

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    So......

I'm looking at buying my third RSD. Been thinking of a Big Chief but also thought a Mayor would be nice to replace my aging fatbike. The geo looks well sorted, bigger q factor that what I'm use to though (currently fatty has a 170 rear end). It would be my year round ride.

Talk me into it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    So......

I'm looking at buying my third RSD. Been thinking of a Big Chief but also thought a Mayor would be nice to replace my aging fatbike. The geo looks well sorted, bigger q factor that what I'm use to though (currently fatty has a 170 rear end). It would be my year round ride.

Talk me into it.
    Since you're coming from another fattie, most of the generic fat bike discussions are moot. Since you've got other RSD bikes, build quality discussions are also moot. So I guess it comes down to the geometry and general feel of the bike. Apart from the Mayor, I rented a RM Blizzard for a couple of rides (on dirt) before buying the Mayor. I found the rides similar, but totally appreciate the front suspension for the dirt rides (and choppy ice in the winter). I ride my Mayor year-round, and absolutely love it. A lighter bike would be nice, but at the same time, the Mayor is sturdy, with little flex. I have a set of 29+ rims that I picked up halfway through the summer season last year. They are nice if I want to go a bit faster, but they don't put the same smile on my face as my summer fat tires (Jumbo Jim 4.0).

As far as q-factor, I was concerned about it when I first started fat-biking. I'm not a tall person (even the small frame is a bit large for me) and I have knee problems in general. I've never once had issues with my knees on the Mayor. Everyone is different, obviously, but I don't think you have to worry about Mayor Q-factor.

I ride single-track, mostly hard-packed dirt, but some rocky areas, too, just west of Toronto, just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Brian did a good speach!

I will only add this:

I'm also prone to knee pain and solved that with an oval chainring on my FS 29. The wider Q-Factor of the Mayor seems to help me even more. No knee pain at all when riding the Mayor even with the round 28T in the front. Also, just to give an idea of how much time I spend on it, I'm at 64h28m so far in 2018. Did over 4000Km on the Mayor since September 2016 when I bought it (mostly snow riding).

Since you're coming from another fattie, most of the generic fat bike discussions are moot. Since you've got other RSD bikes, build quality discussions are also moot. So I guess it comes down to the geometry and general feel of the bike. Apart from the Mayor, I rented a RM Blizzard for a couple of rides (on dirt) before buying the Mayor. I found the rides similar, but totally appreciate the front suspension for the dirt rides (and choppy ice in the winter). I ride my Mayor year-round, and absolutely love it. A lighter bike would be nice, but at the same time, the Mayor is sturdy, with little flex. I have a set of 29+ rims that I picked up halfway through the summer season last year. They are nice if I want to go a bit faster, but they don't put the same smile on my face as my summer fat tires (Jumbo Jim 4.0).

As far as q-factor, I was concerned about it when I first started fat-biking. I'm not a tall person (even the small frame is a bit large for me) and I have knee problems in general. I've never once had issues with my knees on the Mayor. Everyone is different, obviously, but I don't think you have to worry about Mayor Q-factor.

I ride single-track, mostly hard-packed dirt, but some rocky areas, too, just west of Toronto, just to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.
    How is the bike with the 4.0 tires? Any noticeable drop in the B.B.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    How is the bike with the 4.0 tires? Any noticeable drop in the B.B.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I find the Minions great in the winter (see post about 4 back), or when it's really muddy. But for hard-packed, or even looser stuff in the summer, the Jumbo Jim's are really nice, fast rolling tires. I also find I don't need the extra float of the stock 4.8" tires when there's no snow. I think 4" is the sweet spot ... wide enough to be super grippy and fun, without the weight of extra rubber.

As far as a drop on the overall height of the bike, no nothing noticeable. There's a bigger drop when you reduce the pressure down to around 4 psi for float / grip in the snow. I think the heights of the 4" vs 4.8" tires are negligible; the real difference is in the width of the tires. (I haven't actually measured them, it's just a gut feeling). I currently have four sets of tires for the Mayor: fat Minion 4.8, fat Jumbo Jim 4.0, 29+ Nobby Nic 2.6, and 29" Studded Nicotine 2.2 (mistake, I should have picked up studded fat tires ... live and learn).

I find the Minions great in the winter (see post about 4 back), or when it's really muddy. But for hard-packed, or even looser stuff in the summer, the Jumbo Jim's are really nice, fast rolling tires. I also find I don't need the extra float of the stock 4.8" tires when there's no snow. I think 4" is the sweet spot ... wide enough to be super grippy and fun, without the weight of extra rubber.

As far as a drop on the overall height of the bike, no nothing noticeable. There's a bigger drop when you reduce the pressure down to around 4 psi for float / grip in the snow. I think the heights of the 4" vs 4.8" tires are negligible; the real difference is in the width of the tires. (I haven't actually measured them, it's just a gut feeling). I currently have four sets of tires for the Mayor: fat Minion 4.8, fat Jumbo Jim 4.0, 29+ Nobby Nic 2.6, and 29" Studded Nicotine 2.2 (mistake, I should have picked up studded fat tires ... live and learn).
    Funny that you mention you are West of TO. I live down near Turkey Point, so my trail are sandy and the fat bike is an excellent choice. I had a Specialized Fatboy for a while that I thought was great year round with the 4.6 tires, I'm thinking that I'd like the Minions for year round as well. My current fatbike is a Pugsley clone (Nashbar BOFB) that can only run 4.0 tires and has QR axles... time to upgrade.

I think the only decision I have left is what colour to get it in........

mtbr member
    Funny that you mention you are West of TO. .....

I think the only decision I have left is what colour to get it in........
    Did someone say TO?!?!?!

Despite the hiatus even *I* know enough to ask ... where's BansheeRune to spew forth the orangeness?

Have you seen one/any of these in person yet? I've seen all the colours at the RSD HQ. Still surprises me how the green POPS right out at ya.

Also, side note - is your P.M. box active/available? Would like to ask about your Weebly blogging experience as i'm possibly looking to do the same.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    Did someone say TO?!?!?!

Despite the hiatus even *I* know enough to ask ... where's BansheeRune to spew forth the orangeness?

Have you seen one/any of these in person yet? I've seen all the colours at the RSD HQ. Still surprises me how the green POPS right out at ya.

Also, side note - is your P.M. box active/available? Would like to ask about your Weebly blogging experience as i'm possibly looking to do the same.
    I've been itching to take a trip to the RSD HQ. Just trying to make some time to go.

If you want you can PM me on here, I'll answer whatever questions I can...

mtbr member
    I've been itching to take a trip to the RSD HQ. Just trying to make some time to go.

If you want you can PM me on here, I'll answer whatever questions I can...
    P.M. sent. Thanks man.

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Ok haven't posted pics in YEARS and things have changed so please bear with me here ...

Got out a couple of days ago on my Mayor V2 custom build. Blah blah blah PICS ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_3953.jpg  

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_3952.jpg  

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_3951.jpg  

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_3950.jpg  

... and cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO View Post
    Ok haven't posted pics in YEARS and things have changed so please bear with me here ...

Got out a couple of days ago on my Mayor V2 custom build. Blah blah blah PICS ...
    Nice looking machine. I think I'm leaning towards the RAW colour right now...

mtbr member
    Nice looking machine. I think I'm leaning towards the RAW colour right now...
    The Raw for me is a throw back to my Misfit Psycles days.

Actually, even that had a throw back "The Billet Years" when all the cool aluminum-framed bikes were raw, the GTs, Answer/Manitou and such.

And then even those went to my BMX days come to think of it.

But anyways, thanks for the compliment. It was an interesting turn of events that led me to Alex and RSD and all of my RSDs have been the best cycling purchases i've made. The fit, the finish, the quality, the price, the versatility ... all have me finding myself enjoying riding more than I have ever before. (THANKS again Alex!!!!! )

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Alex just informed me that the 2XL's fit not only w/ 80mm rims but with 100mm rims!

I thought that it was max 80mm rim w the 2XL?

I'm not complaining!
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's been some time since I posted pictures of my Mayor on a ride. So here are 2 pictures from my ride last saturday. I still enjoy every ride I do on that bike.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20180303_140803977_hdr.jpg

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20180303_140815475_hdr.jpg

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    great trail conditions to break in my buddy's new mayor yesterday. Never thought a fatty could be so lively and climb so wellRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-bgsudcyl.jpgRSD Bikes "The Mayor"-qen9yb1l.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I Ride, I Know

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    TT, now ya hafta order one up for yourself... Lookin good!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Fat biking in the snow can make you encouter some nice wild life. Yesterday afternoon I encoutered 2 bobcats (crappy picture below). We watched each other for a good 3 minutes before they finaly moved in the wood. The Mayor was my only protection against them if something went wrong!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"-img_20180311_133403164.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm looking at a v3 Al Mayor with Mastodon build kit 3 for the first fat bike which is for year round use. 4.8" Minion FBF/FBRs for winter and the 27.5x50mm Duroc setup Alex mentioned with 3.8" FBF/FBRs for summer use.

The Mayor should be great in winter, possible studded as well, but how is this beast on aggressive trails with 3.8s? Anybody running 3.0 NNs?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkrawiec View Post
    I'm looking at a v3 Al Mayor with Mastodon build kit 3 for the first fat bike which is for year round use. 4.8" Minion FBF/FBRs for winter and the 27.5x50mm Duroc setup Alex mentioned with 3.8" FBF/FBRs for summer use.

The Mayor should be great in winter, possible studded as well, but how is this beast on aggressive trails with 3.8s? Anybody running 3.0 NNs?
    I have the Nobby Nic Performance 3.0's on my Sergeant and Wildcat. They are awesome! The Mayor will always be 4.8 since it's my second Jeep.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    BrianCBRXX is running NN 29+ on the Mayor.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor" - Page 16- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

The 4.8 FBF can be self studded by drilling pockets. I ran a pair of FBF's I studded for a season with studs from bikestud and only lost a couple between front and rear. FBF in reverse direction grips pretty good as a rear and has less rolling resistance than FBR. I since switched to Wrathchilds so I'd part with the pocketed FBF's (I transferred studs to new tires)

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    BrianCBRXX is running NN 29+ on the Mayor.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor" - Page 16- Mtbr.com
    Yes. Yes, I am.

It's a totally different beast as a 29+. I have two sets of fat rubber: the 4.8 Minions for winter and 4.0 Jumbo Jims for summer. I'm happy with both. I haven't tried the JJ's in the snow, but the Minions don't leave me wishing for anything else (well, maybe some studs ...) On the 29" 50mm wheels I use studded Nicotines in the winter (need to run with tubes, I can't get them to seat tubeless, and they are not tubeless-ready) and the Nobby Nics in the summer.

The NN's are faster than the JJ's, and give a different ride. The folks I usually ride with are not fast, so I'll often use the JJ's with them, then switch to the NN's when I'm on my own and just want to go fast.

If I had to do it again, though, I think I'd go with 40mm 29" wheels, I have a heck of a time finding 29+ rubber. The Nobby Nic's are nice, but I like to have choices!

Also, the Nicotines are not good enough for winter riding. I'm thinking Wrathchilds for next year.

As far as "aggressive" riding, that's a relative term. For rocky, lose stuff, I prefer the JJ's, or even the Minions (although I hesitate to swap tires too often, it's a pain unseating these things once they are set up tubeless). to borrow a term from Banshee. "JEEPIN!" For hard-packed, fast, flowy stuff, NN.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    What version of Wrathchild?

I bought a pair of 27.5 x "3.0" and they are like a road bike tire compared to my Nobby Nic's. Sarge and the Wildcat weren't exactly impressed with reduced fat tires!

Keep on Jeepin!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    What version of Wrathchild?

I bought a pair of 27.5 x "3.0" and they are like a road bike tire compared to my Nobby Nic's. Sarge and the Wildcat weren't exactly impressed with reduced fat tires!

Keep on Jeepin!!
    I thinking about the 26 x 4.6 Wrathchild to replace the Minions over the winter. I originally went with the Nicotines because I like the Minions and I wanted the flexibility of choosing studded or non-studded the morning of a ride (i.e. studded 29+ or grippy fat). I don't like the idea of riding studded unless the conditions really call for it; they can really do a number on exposed roots. And the Minions really are amazing in the snow.

I'm jealous of your RSD collection! I've been eyeing the Wildcat, but I just (last week) completed my purchase/build of a Salsa Warbird, so no more new bikes for me until 2019.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I think a pair of 4.6 Wrathchild would be an awesome pair of tires for fatness n fun. Gratz on the new Salsa!
    A bloke can never have too many bikes.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

I've only run my 27.5x3.8 Maxxis FBF and FBR on my RSD Sergeant (on the stock Sun Ringle Duroc 50mm rims) and I had no complaints for the little riding i've put on them (about 20 km ... not much). I think i'd prefer them on the Mayor really.

On my V2 Mayor (only difference between the V2 and V3 is the V3 has a 10mm shorter head tube, as far as I can tell so far) I bought the 29er wheelset from Alex at RSD and have run Panaracer Fat B Nimble 29x3.0 and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29x2.6 with mixed results. I say mixed because I think what I was finding was that I didn't really care for the 29er wheels on the bike. The (comparitively) skinny 3.0 tires just don't add up in my brain that well when i'm rocking the handlebar side-to-side or doing anything that involves leaning the bike over. It should go without saying ... YMMV.

There is something to be said about the frame geometry regardless, but it's not like the Mayor runs that far off the norm for being either a purposeful and dedicated fat- or trail-specific bike, imho.

I've seen Alex's personal ti Mayor set up both ways. Even just looking at the bike with both wheelsets I prefer what I see with the 27.5s. It's not a vanity thing ... for me if i'm on a 100mm BB shell width my mind just goes into "fat mode". lol I suspect I would prefer the 27.5 wheelset with 3.8s instead as a second wheelset for my Mayor. (any locals with a 27.5 wheelset wanna try/trade?)

Not sure if you were planning on buying everything at once or not, but i'd say given the chance ... get the bike and run it stock first. If there's anyone local to you that you can swap parts for a ride for a case of beer or something then i'd go that route.

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    A bloke can never have too many bikes.
    This is not what she's telling me at home. 4 bikes for me and she wants me to get rid of one!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Your marriage counselor better be a bikeaholic!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd rather invest in a garage because I know I will be able to get the bikes out of the basement this way!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Hi guys . This is my 1st post here. I have read through all the mayor comments.. Currently i have a 16 rocky mountain blizzard 50 medium And that fits me good. I am 5' 11. Im really loving the mayor in raw build 3. But just curious what size do guys think would work for me medium or large? And anyone have the mastodon on theirs?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ70 View Post
    Hi guys . This is my 1st post here. I have read through all the mayor comments.. Currently i have a 16 rocky mountain blizzard 50 medium And that fits me good. I am 5' 11. Im really loving the mayor in raw build 3. But just curious what size do guys think would work for me medium or large? And anyone have the mastodon on theirs?
    Much has to do with setup. Short stem, wide bar etc. I'm 6' and have a large.
    If only there was a size Marge! A combination of large top and down tube with medium seat tube. Could be a really bitchen setup.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I was wondering about the stand over . According to the site its an inch higher then my RM . And i'm guessing with the mastodon it will be even higher.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The standover may rise slightly with the longer A/C of the mastodon. The carbon fork is 490mm and 100mm travel fork is 530. That will lift the front by 40mm and will affect standover some. Your inseam may be the deciding factor between medium and large.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 1m75 (5'8" 3/4) and the medium Mayor fits me perfectly with a 70mm stem. (If it can help).

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Yeah thank you guys for all your help.. I'm definitely going to get the medium. In raw...As soon as I sell my blizzard. Someone actually told me I was downgrading by getting rid of the blizzard to get the mayor.. I think the mayor checks all my boxes for what I want in a bike..

mtbr member
    I was wondering about the stand over . According to the site its an inch higher then my RM . And i'm guessing with the mastodon it will be even higher.
    Yeah thank you guys for all your help.. I'm definitely going to get the medium. In raw...As soon as I sell my blizzard. Someone actually told me I was downgrading by getting rid of the blizzard to get the mayor.. I think the mayor checks all my boxes for what I want in a bike..
    what didn't you like about the Blizzard?

I had the first gen Mayor in large....moved on to a Farley 7 and now a Farley 9.6.

I find the RSD bikes to be big. My RSD was a large and it felt "big". I'm 6'0 with shorter legs and longer arms. The size charts had me right between both sizes and all my MTB's over the years have been size large.

I find the 19.5 Trek just fits be better and i sit "in" the bike rather than "on" like with the Mayor.

Just my $0.02. Make sure you ride one in person to get the right size, i'd guess a medium would be right for you.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I still like my blizzard. I just want something different. And reading up on mayor's got me real interested...

mtbr member
    Pretty stoked - the Mayor has shipped. Lots of lurking here and in the Sarge thread before making a decision - kudos to all of the info and opinions posted.

Sticking with the 4.8 Minions for 3 season riding (I think our summers are only 3 months long, sigh...) and 4.0 JJs at the behest of Alex for summer. Very happy with his customer service and my requests as I had some swaps and additions.
    2018 RSD Mayor Al V3 Build 3 FaT
    2015 Specialized Crave Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    jtkrawiec , So you are able to changes things on you're order? I didnt realize that. Im hoping to order mine soon also.