Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Rolling darryl tubeless

Any info on setting up some drilled out rolling darryl's tubeless?

mtbr member
    Try using the search function. There are several detailed threads, and at least a few different methods that work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^ beat me to it!

Fat & Single
    CLICK HERE, these are the results if you search "tubeless" in the fatbike forum titles, the advanced search function on MTBR works a treat.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Tanks, have and will continue to see how yall are going about the tubeless set up... are you uesing new tires or used? what yall think about the origin8 Devist8er 60tpi tires? snow or dirt?

mtbr member
    Getting the Nates with the Rolling Darryls tubeless was super easy for me. Just used 3 layers of duct tape over the rim stripe: One layer on the left, one on the right and one in the middle.
    Here is a picture of the first layer:

darryl tubeless - Fotoalbum auf MTB-News.de
    Then I used a NoTubes valve and inflated the tire with a compressor. Holds the air for one week now, no extra padding with foam in the center was needed.
    Last edited by kolt; 01-21-2013 at 03:46 AM.

mtbr member
    The padding in the center doesn't affect how the tire holds air once the beads are seated. It only makes seating the bead easier with a floor pump. In case you need to work on the tires out there, a setup that allows seating the bead without a compressor is highly advisable. Foam doesn't weigh much: my rim tape and foam all together weigh 20 grams per wheel and that's with a Clown Shoe.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Been having great luck with the split tube set up on many bikes now.

I generally use foam under the tube as it does ease initial seating. I'd recommend running the tires with tubes for several rides, just so they are settled into final shape, makes for easier seating as well. That being said, I set up a lot of folks bikes, with brand new tires, and only a minimum of flocking around.

Origin 8's? Decent tire, especially for the $, heavy, and the flatter carcass profile does lend itself to a lot of self steering feel when used up front. My two cents, YMMV.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    The padding in the center doesn't affect how the tire holds air once the beads are seated. It only makes seating the bead easier with a floor pump. In case you need to work on the tires out there, a setup that allows seating the bead without a compressor is highly advisable. Foam doesn't weigh much: my rim tape and foam all together weigh 20 grams per wheel and that's with a Clown Shoe.
    I don't see the point in the foam. It made it difficult for me to get the beads oner the foam to inflate the tire, and I had a hard time getting things to seal, so I went without it, and had better success. If I'm working on my tire on the trail, I'm putting a tube in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    If I'm working on my tire on the trail, I'm putting a tube in
    Same here. And Stan's NoTubes valves are much easier to replace with a tube on the trail than the split-tube solution.

mtbr member
    I don't see the point in the foam. It made it difficult for me to get the beads oner the foam to inflate the tire, and I had a hard time getting things to seal, so I went without it, and had better success. If I'm working on my tire on the trail, I'm putting a tube in
    If you get the beads to seat without the foam, it is indeed unnecessary.

On some rims the center part has such a small diameter that the beads won't seat without a compressor. I put just enough foam that I can still put the tires on the rim by hand, yet the beads seat with a floor pump.

A strap tightened around the center of the tire helps to bring the beads closer to the edges, in case it's a new tire that hasn't found its shape yet. Remember to loosen it as soon as the beads start climbing towards the edge, or it'll become too tight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kolt View Post
    Same here. And Stan's NoTubes valves are much easier to replace with a tube on the trail than the split-tube solution.
    Beg to differ. I can take my spit tube liner off just as quick as anybody can take off their Stans valve. What's the difference???

mtbr member
    To remove a Stan's valve you don't need to remove the tire and mount it again. A slight time advantage there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    can you freaks stay focused?...???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willonabike1968 View Post
    can you freaks stay focused?...???
    Sorry, but I don't quite get your point.

mtbr member
    A post containing nothing but complaining about OT is as much OT as the original post that wasn't on topic.

Besides, the differences between taped tubeless vs. split tube rim strip are very much on the topic of setting up a Rolling Darryl tubeless.

mtbr member
    @willonabike1968: That's a really kind way to treat people who try to find the best solution to go tubeless for you. Classy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    appoloigies, The term "Freak" is of endearment for those of us that LOVE the "BIKE"... no offence. Of course I'm going to use Stan's valve stems. but back to tires, the only ones i could get my hands on are the origin8 devistateor ul (heavy yes) have anyone set them up with ay success. treadorientation?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by willonabike1968 View Post
    appoloigies, The term "Freak" is of endearment for those of us that LOVE the "BIKE"... no offence. Of course I'm going to use Stan's valve stems. but back to tires, the only ones i could get my hands on are the origin8 devistateor ul (heavy yes) have anyone set them up with ay success. treadorientation?
    Having just mounted one this weekend (assuming you're referring to the non folding version) I'd say best of luck to you. At a minimum, run the tire for a few weeks/rides, to "forge" it into shape. New, they are a b*tch to mount, period due to being so freakin' stiff. Getting them to "pooch" properly to catch tubeless, is gonna be a job and a half. Folding may be a whole different animal, haven't had my hands on any....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    good luck using a pack pump or co2 "out there" youll pump for an hour or youll need several co2 for that high volume tire

mtbr member
    If I'm working on my tire on the trail, I'm putting a tube in
    this!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think that putting a tube in if you suffer a loss of pressure on the trail is the way to go.

How has the Stan's been holding up to extended cold temperatures? Say a 40-60 ride/race in 20 degree or cooler temps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
    good luck using a pack pump or co2 "out there" youll pump for an hour or youll need several co2 for that high volume tire
    Yep, it would definitely be a pain in the ass. But filling up a fat tire is a lot of work with or without a tube in any case. Tubeless tires have a form already, but with a tube you'll be starting from virtually zero volume.

If you have better ideas (apart from carrying a large volume pump) let's hear them.

mtbr member
    Yep, it would definitely be a pain in the ass. But filling up a fat tire is a lot of work with or without a tube in any case. Tubeless tires have a form already, but with a tube you'll be starting from virtually zero volume.

If you have better ideas (apart from carrying a large volume pump) let's hear them.
    True. I've changed one flat on my pugsley. I used a hand pump to pre-inflate the tube, then installed it, and used 2 co2 cartridges. It was enough to get back.

Fat & Single
    A bud to about 7psi using a Qtube UL.

Blew the tube up by mouth till it took shape (not easy)
    Hit with 2 x 16g Co2 cartridges
    Still needed approx 200 pumps with a Lezyne alloy drive.

Gave up, tyre still on the soft side, rode back to the car as it was all downhill and i had no spares left except patches and pump, i reckon it would have take me at least an hour to pump a 4.8 up
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast