Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rolling darryl tubeless

17K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  Saul Lumikko 
#1 ·
Any info on setting up some drilled out rolling darryl's tubeless?:rolleyes:

#6 · (Edited)
Getting the Nates with the Rolling Darryls tubeless was super easy for me. Just used 3 layers of duct tape over the rim stripe: One layer on the left, one on the right and one in the middle.
Here is a picture of the first layer:

darryl tubeless - Fotoalbum auf MTB-News.de
Then I used a NoTubes valve and inflated the tire with a compressor. Holds the air for one week now, no extra padding with foam in the center was needed.

#31 ·
Hi Kolt,

Thanks for sharing your pics/experience. Can I ask you, are you using the kevlar bead/120 tpi Nates for your tubeless setup? If so, I'd like to try the same on my bike.

Getting the Nates with the Rolling Darryls tubeless was super easy for me. Just used 3 layers of duct tape over the rim stripe: One layer on the left, one on the right and one in the middle.

Then I used a NoTubes valve and inflated the tire with a compressor. Holds the air for one week now, no extra padding with foam in the center was needed.

#7 ·
The padding in the center doesn't affect how the tire holds air once the beads are seated. It only makes seating the bead easier with a floor pump. In case you need to work on the tires out there, a setup that allows seating the bead without a compressor is highly advisable. Foam doesn't weigh much: my rim tape and foam all together weigh 20 grams per wheel and that's with a Clown Shoe. :)

#9 ·
I don't see the point in the foam. It made it difficult for me to get the beads oner the foam to inflate the tire, and I had a hard time getting things to seal, so I went without it, and had better success. If I'm working on my tire on the trail, I'm putting a tube in

#8 ·
Been having great luck with the split tube set up on many bikes now.

I generally use foam under the tube as it does ease initial seating. I'd recommend running the tires with tubes for several rides, just so they are settled into final shape, makes for easier seating as well. That being said, I set up a lot of folks bikes, with brand new tires, and only a minimum of flocking around.

Origin 8's? Decent tire, especially for the $, heavy, and the flatter carcass profile does lend itself to a lot of self steering feel when used up front. My two cents, YMMV.

#18 ·
appoloigies, The term "Freak" is of endearment for those of us that LOVE the "BIKE"... no offence. Of course I'm going to use Stan's valve stems. but back to tires, the only ones i could get my hands on are the origin8 devistateor ul (heavy yes) have anyone set them up with ay success. treadorientation?

#19 ·
Having just mounted one this weekend (assuming you're referring to the non folding version) I'd say best of luck to you. At a minimum, run the tire for a few weeks/rides, to "forge" it into shape. New, they are a b*tch to mount, period due to being so freakin' stiff. Getting them to "pooch" properly to catch tubeless, is gonna be a job and a half. Folding may be a whole different animal, haven't had my hands on any....

#25 ·
A bud to about 7psi using a Qtube UL.

Blew the tube up by mouth till it took shape (not easy)
Hit with 2 x 16g Co2 cartridges
Still needed approx 200 pumps with a Lezyne alloy drive.

Gave up, tyre still on the soft side, rode back to the car as it was all downhill and i had no spares left except patches and pump, i reckon it would have take me at least an hour to pump a 4.8 up :eekster:

#43 ·
I had issues with burps and the bead leaking in general. It was rideable but sometimes I would have to pump up mid ride. It was much worse at lower pressures. This was with a folding larry and endo. I put a couple layers of tape on the bead shelf and it all went away, even at the lowest of pressures. I assume the split tube method would avoid this too.

Yeah, that's the downside of using foam -- you add back the weight you save by removing the tubes. If you can get it to air up initially without the foam in the center, you're way better off all around, because once it's aired-up, the foam is unnecessary.
The foam I used weighed next to nothing. And I put it under the tape so I don't have to worry about it soaking up sealant. That being said, with the tape and a healthy does of sealant they weigh almost exactly the same as they did with super light Qtubes (which is still a weight savings).

#39 ·
Just foam the middle. I had about 4-5 failed attempts before I got it right.

I have just received new lightweight tape and going to try a different foam with less memory as I have a tube in one wheel after spiking it with a stick.

The gorilla tape works well but it's messy and heavy :p

#42 ·
Yeah, that's the downside of using foam -- you add back the weight you save by removing the tubes. If you can get it to air up initially without the foam in the center, you're way better off all around, because once it's aired-up, the foam is unnecessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.