Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13
    With a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive I hit the 8PSI pretty fast:
    Lezyne High Volume Bicycle Hand Pumps

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: winkster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    113
    For the guys who are running these wheels tubeless. Are you having any burping issues while riding in rocky terrain? What tire pressure?

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    270
    I have dinged my rim running split tube tubeless with no burping issue. Also I have ran with the pressure so low the side wall was wrinkling in snowy conditions with no problems. With that said i would think it could happen.

  4. #29
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Yep, it would definitely be a pain in the ass. But filling up a fat tire is a lot of work with or without a tube in any case. Tubeless tires have a form already, but with a tube you'll be starting from virtually zero volume.

    If you have better ideas (apart from carrying a large volume pump) let's hear them.
    you could wear a bandolier loaded with co2s

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,128
    I tried the split tube method on RD and nates. I think I made a mistake by adding stans prior to seating beads?

    Q-tubes 24" 2.4-2.75" tube was used. Floor pump wasn't even close, and compressor did nothing.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flat Again???'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    130
    Hi Kolt,

    Thanks for sharing your pics/experience. Can I ask you, are you using the kevlar bead/120 tpi Nates for your tubeless setup? If so, I'd like to try the same on my bike.



    Quote Originally Posted by kolt View Post
    Getting the Nates with the Rolling Darryls tubeless was super easy for me. Just used 3 layers of duct tape over the rim stripe: One layer on the left, one on the right and one in the middle.
    ...

    Then I used a NoTubes valve and inflated the tire with a compressor. Holds the air for one week now, no extra padding with foam in the center was needed.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoogieMang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I tried the split tube method on RD and nates. I think I made a mistake by adding stans prior to seating beads?

    Q-tubes 24" 2.4-2.75" tube was used. Floor pump wasn't even close, and compressor did nothing.
    Try using a ratchet strap to compress the tire to the rim

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Again??? View Post
    Hi Kolt,
    Thanks for sharing your pics/experience. Can I ask you, are you using the kevlar bead/120 tpi Nates for your tubeless setup? If so, I'd like to try the same on my bike.
    Yes, it's the 120tpi Nate I'm using. Good luck!

  9. #34
    29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post

    Q-tubes 24" 2.4-2.75" tube was used. Floor pump wasn't even close, and compressor did nothing.
    Did you build up with foam?

  10. #35
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,786
    Thats where the foam comes into it, they can be inflated with a floor pump very easily.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,128
    I did not use any foam. I will have to give that a try tonight along with a ratchet strap.

  12. #37
    29er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    841
    Strap did nothing for me. I had to use two layers of foam

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,128
    I think I will stick with a tube. I don't have thorns in my area, and its not super rocky.

    Anyone need a tube that has been cut in half?

  14. #39
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,786
    Just foam the middle. I had about 4-5 failed attempts before I got it right.

    I have just received new lightweight tape and going to try a different foam with less memory as I have a tube in one wheel after spiking it with a stick.

    The gorilla tape works well but it's messy and heavy
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  15. #40
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by kolt View Post
    Same here. And Stan's NoTubes valves are much easier to replace with a tube on the trail than the split-tube solution.
    True... Absolutely.

  16. #41
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post
    I think that putting a tube in if you suffer a loss of pressure on the trail is the way to go.

    How has the Stan's been holding up to extended cold temperatures? Say a 40-60 ride/race in 20 degree or cooler temps?
    No problem...

  17. #42
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Just foam the middle. I had about 4-5 failed attempts before I got it right.

    I have just received new lightweight tape and going to try a different foam with less memory as I have a tube in one wheel after spiking it with a stick.

    The gorilla tape works well but it's messy and heavy
    Yeah, that's the downside of using foam -- you add back the weight you save by removing the tubes. If you can get it to air up initially without the foam in the center, you're way better off all around, because once it's aired-up, the foam is unnecessary.

  18. #43
    Smash Mode: ON
    Reputation: Dustin Mustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post
    For the guys who are running these wheels tubeless. Are you having any burping issues while riding in rocky terrain? What tire pressure?
    I had issues with burps and the bead leaking in general. It was rideable but sometimes I would have to pump up mid ride. It was much worse at lower pressures. This was with a folding larry and endo. I put a couple layers of tape on the bead shelf and it all went away, even at the lowest of pressures. I assume the split tube method would avoid this too.



    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib View Post
    Yeah, that's the downside of using foam -- you add back the weight you save by removing the tubes. If you can get it to air up initially without the foam in the center, you're way better off all around, because once it's aired-up, the foam is unnecessary.
    The foam I used weighed next to nothing. And I put it under the tape so I don't have to worry about it soaking up sealant. That being said, with the tape and a healthy does of sealant they weigh almost exactly the same as they did with super light Qtubes (which is still a weight savings).
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Saul Lumikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,199
    The packing tape I used to cover the rim holes and two rounds of sill foam weighed 20 grams.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •