mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Rode Hard and Put Away Wet

I usually keep up on cleaning the bikes after nasty rides, and it hasn't been an issue with the fat on snow.

But now everything is melting and getting pretty muddy.....I just don't feel like/have the time to clean it after every ride. So I hang it nose up in the garage and let it drip-dry.

I know its not good to ride it hard, and put it away filthy. Anyone else abusing there fatbike this time of year?

mighty sailin' man
    I think I've washed mine like 10 times in the last 4 years. Cleaning is for when I'm hurt or stuck around the house...
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    the the gunk dries, it shouldn't hurt the metal.. why is the filthy wet different than tap water wet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Keeping the drivetrain clean is the only important thing, a dirty frame is proof you actually use it.

mtbr member
    You are my kind of people!
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    I clean my bikes at the end of a major trip [ie. coming home from Baja] and when I need to work on them since it keeps me and my work area from becoming filthy.

In between I don't do anything. I've got an IGH so my chain doesn't need much attention.

People who get too obsessive about cleaning their bikes can do more damage then good if they get carried away with hosing their bikes down.

Dirt on the frame doesn't do any damage.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The only thing that sucks is the rust that forms inside the bolt heads.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    I think I've washed mine like 10 times in the last 4 years. Cleaning is for when I'm hurt or stuck around the house...
    with all the free time you have twice a week should be no problem, just pretend your stuck around the house more often.

Air compressor works great for a quick cleaning of the drivetrain.

I was riding in the gravel pits yesterday... this was at the beginning... after I got through there I had like 2 pounds of mud in the BB area. Kicking/Brush/Air compressor'd it... "all clean".

Rode Hard and Put Away Wet-camerazoom-20130408170335923.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    the the gunk dries, it shouldn't hurt the metal.. why is the filthy wet different than tap water wet?
    I guess in Wisconsin "put away wet" means that you left the item filthy, dirty, unlubed....basically showing it no love. Which is what I have done on my last 5-7 rides.

I don't want to hook the hose up outside yet for fear of water freezing in it overnight. Maybe I just need a short 6-10' hose to use for cleaning?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Spray your bike's metal parts down with T9 Boeshield. The stuff dries into a waxy coat... then let the gunk come... You'll be rest assured that the stuff you sprayed is protecting your metal parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I guess in Wisconsin "put away wet" means that you left the item filthy, dirty, unlubed....basically showing it no love. Which is what I have done on my last 5-7 rides.

I don't want to hook the hose up outside yet for fear of water freezing in it overnight. Maybe I just need a short 6-10' hose to use for cleaning?

I use one of the cheap precoiled hoses. Disconnect it and hang in a branch and all the water drains and ready for the next go round. Way better than trying to drain the big yard hoses all the time.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    with all the free time you have twice a week should be no problem, just pretend your stuck around the house more often.
    Maybe if I had that sexy white chick of yours I would wash it more. Like 12 times or so
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy