Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    ride
    all versions of Blizzard accomodated a 4.8 tire but in 2015 it was very rim dependent. I ran 4.8s on my 2015 on a 60mm rim. It worked with an 80mm rim also but not on a 100mm rim.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    This January saw a few warm spots where temps went above freezing and we had a significant melt. First one ended with a big snowfall so no big deal, but this time it ended with a hard freeze so my commute and some of the local trails have a significant amount of ice.

One of the local bike shops was having a sale on studded tires yesterday, so I pulled the trigger on a pair of Dillenger 5s, and all I can say is WOW! I was climbing hills and going speeds that I had no business doing in winter. Going to stash-away my Bulldozers for spring/fall season and ride these throughout the winter. Highly recommended!

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-2017-02-04-14.27.20-copy.jpg
    2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt
    1992 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

Old Fat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post

One of the local bike shops was having a sale on studded tires yesterday, so I pulled the trigger on a pair of Dillenger 5s, and all I can say is WOW! I was climbing hills and going speeds that I had no business doing in winter. Going to stash-away my Bulldozers for spring/fall season and ride these throughout the winter. Highly recommended!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-04 14.27.20 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	1119579
    What's the name of the store? Do they sell online?
    BenTYYC

2015 RMB Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition
    2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentyyc View Post
    What's the name of the store? Do they sell online?
    No, sorry. Just a local shop having a sale. These were the last two (and they both had different prices - shop gave me both for the lower price ).

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 Blizzard -20. I've tested it out in the snow and it felt great. This is the main reason for my decision to buy a fat bike.

My secondary purpose will be a bikepacking rig in the summer on long and flat, loose-gravel trails. Has anyone here used their Blizzard for multi-day trips? I know the geometry is more optimized for typical trail riding, but is this enough reason to not use it for bikepacking?

Hopefully an owner of this bike can offer their input.

Gigantic Hawk
    I wouldn't use it for bike packing, but I don't think I'd use any fat bike for bike packing. This bike isn't very fast on dirt. The stock tires have a lot of rolling resistance.

That said, If your plan is to bike pack with a fat bike regardless, it is a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks. The bikepacking route I'm planning has significant stretches of loose gravel/crushed stone, as well as portions with sand or beach rocks. Everyone I've spoken to who has done it before has recommended a full fat bike instead of a standard or even plus-sized bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I wouldn't use it for bike packing, but I don't think I'd use any fat bike for bike packing. This bike isn't very fast on dirt. The stock tires have a lot of rolling resistance.

That said, If your plan is to bike pack with a fat bike regardless, it is a nice bike.
    Depends on your route. Maine has a system of backcountry lodges open in the winter. Around here you could work up a summer trip with a mix of beach and trails.

No question the Bulldozers have to go. Good too see Rocky has switched to the Minions on the 2017's.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by CFlanagan View Post
    Thanks. The bikepacking route I'm planning has significant stretches of loose gravel/crushed stone, as well as portions with sand or beach rocks. Everyone I've spoken to who has done it before has recommended a full fat bike instead of a standard or even plus-sized bike.
    Crushed stone would definitely suck on skinny tires. The route you have sounds like it'd be better on fat tires for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveMaine View Post
    Just picked up my new-to-me '16 Blizzard -50. My wife just declared herself a fat bike widow after seeing the glee in my eyes.
    "fat bike widow"? Why didn't you get her one? The day we picked up our Blizzard -50s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-fatbike_day.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Anyone have new information on converting to 29+? New wheel builds, etc?
    Fat bikes - more work on the up, more fun on the down.

"Big Bird" - Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Join the BLIZZARD Watch Facebook group. Tristan might be able to help. I believe he already did it. I'm gonna be talking to him about doing the same for my gf as she doesn't own a MTB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/322423367942690/

Old Fat Guy
    They may be being conservative, but I Emailed Rocky Mountain and got a reply from their engineering team regarding this topic specifically for the '17 Blizzard -50 which has shorter chainstays than the '15 or '16 model year - in short, while 29+ technically fits, it's real tight, and they don't recommend it...

--

While the chainstays got shorter on the 2017 Blizzard, we also moved the bridge tube up as far as possible. This gives us about 8mm all around a 760 x 116 tire, which is on-paper what 29+ Maxxis are with a +- 5mm in outer diameter. So realistically, debris could remove paint from the knob shoulder area of the stay, and if a spoke breaks the tire could make contact. So, we do not officially recommend running 29+.

The other thing is that the static bb height goes up to around 335mm with big wheels, and its still about 324mm at 20% fork sag. Interestingly going to 27+ puts the bb around 300mm at sag, while still retaining a reasonable level of trail. It also leaves open the option of going to sturdier fork platforms.
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hey All,

Grabbed an end of season deal on a 2016 -10, mostly for next winter, but now getting the itch to ride it a bit on dirt over the summer. It has the 95mm stock rims, what tires are folks running in the summer?

Planning on trying to get it going ghetto tubeless, so any feedback on this would be appreciated as well.

mtbr member
    That's great! I have to say this is the first year I have ever been disappointed to see the cold weather and snow disappear. I threw my Bulldozers back on and will just use them for some spring riding, but I've heard others say the Bulldozers are good dirt tires. What does the -10 come stock with?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    @JetBlack

The -10 came with Juggernaut Sports in 4.8

Motivated to go tubeless pretty quickly in the interest of weight and that 'tubeless feel'

Seen good reviews of the Juggernaut Pro in 4.8 so was thinking of those for next winter... but short term my head was thinking a 4.0 would make more sense if i was buying a dirt specific (TL) tire for it...

ALL this FB stuff is very new to me, so don't be afraid to say anything too rudimentary to me... -Ha

mtbr member
    No, that all makes sense. I've only owned a fat bike for six months or so, which mean I'm also not an expert. 4 inch makes sense for summer for sure. I have a full suspension I'll ride when it dries out so don't want to shell out for another set of fat bike tires.

Gigantic Hawk
    I'd just ride it until you get a solid feel for how the tires perform. You may really like the larger 4.8's. You may not. Ride them with tubes until you decide which way you want to go, and then do your swap and tubeless setup at the same time.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by beerfriday View Post
    @JetBlack
    Seen good reviews of the Juggernaut Pro in 4.8 so was thinking of those for next winter... but short term my head was thinking a 4.0 would make more sense if i was buying a dirt specific (TL) tire for it...
    I have the Juggernaut Pro in a 4.0. Some people say the rolling resistance of these tires is really bad but honestly I have not noticed that.

What I will say is though they are very light, they have very little tread. As a result I found them very sketchy in loose over hard conditions as they have no "bite". If you have similar conditions I would not recommend them.

I don't think I'll put them back on this year. If I were to try a summer tire it would probably be the 4.0 Minions.

Old Fat Guy
    They may be being conservative, but I Emailed Rocky Mountain and got a reply from their engineering team regarding this topic specifically for the '17 Blizzard -50 which has shorter chainstays than the '15 or '16 model year - in short, while 29+ technically fits, it's real tight, and they don't recommend it...

--

While the chainstays got shorter on the 2017 Blizzard, we also moved the bridge tube up as far as possible. This gives us about 8mm all around a 760 x 116 tire, which is on-paper what 29+ Maxxis are with a +- 5mm in outer diameter. So realistically, debris could remove paint from the knob shoulder area of the stay, and if a spoke breaks the tire could make contact. So, we do not officially recommend running 29+.

The other thing is that the static bb height goes up to around 335mm with big wheels, and its still about 324mm at 20% fork sag. Interestingly going to 27+ puts the bb around 300mm at sag, while still retaining a reasonable level of trail. It also leaves open the option of going to sturdier fork platforms.
    Flipped my '17 Blizzard -50º to B+ for the summer. LOADS of clearance...

- Race Face Arc 45 rims
    - DT Swiss 350 Big Ride hubs
    - DT Swiss spokes (black)
    - DT Swiss nipples (purple)
    - Maxxis Chronicle EXO TR 27.5 x 3.0, setup tubeless

Last edited by bentyyc; 05-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Wow, that doesn't look half bad! Kept the same gearing ratio for plus-sized versus fat?

Old Fat Guy
    Wow, that doesn't look half bad! Kept the same gearing ratio for plus-sized versus fat?
    Yep, all the same for easy swaps. Could always up the front chainring in the summer if I wanted...
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yep, all the same for easy swaps. Could always up the front chainring in the summer if I wanted...
    Did you build up the wheelset yourself? Or is there somewhere that sells those "plus-fat" wheels.

I'm interested in doing the same thing with my 2017 -20.

Old Fat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by CFlanagan View Post
    Did you build up the wheelset yourself? Or is there somewhere that sells those "plus-fat" wheels.

I'm interested in doing the same thing with my 2017 -20.
    They're a custom set built by my LBS. I'm very happy with the spec.
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Because of the almost 4.7/4.8 (depending on model/year) originals to the B+, what did you lose in BB height?
    Fat bikes - more work on the up, more fun on the down.

"Big Bird" - Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50

Old Fat Guy
    Because of the almost 4.7/4.8 (depending on model/year) originals to the B+, what did you lose in BB height?
    BB height is about 1.5-2.0 cm lower than with the original wheelset (Mulefüt 80SL with 4.8" Minions).
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    May 2016
    My Rocky Mountain Blizzard set up for summer. New Manitou Mastadon Pro extended to 140mm, Race Face Atlas handle bar and stem, Race Face Turbine dropper post and a Industry Nine Backcountry 450 wheelset with Schwable 3.0" Rocket Rons for rubber makes this bike a singletrack slaying machine!Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-19224982_10213623877097255_853204375940465985_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does this bike have a press fit or threaded bottom bracket? The RM site isn't clear. I ordered a 2017 that hasn't come in yet. I have a set of Turbine cranks I want to move over if possible and I need to put in a BB that can accept a 30mm spindle. I'd like to order the new BB before the bike arrives if possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    threaded

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pelts79 View Post
    threaded
    Thanks!

Gigantic Hawk
    Anybody know if there are any changes to the frames on the 2018 Blizzards?

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Anybody know if there are any changes to the frames on the 2018 Blizzards?
    Frames are unchanged going into 2018. There will be no Blizzard 50 though
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Looks like the Suzi Q will be their high-end fat bike for the immediate future. Website doesn't show the specs on the Blizzard -30, but I assume Deore or SRAM NX? Still a great bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    How about a frame only?

Gigantic Hawk
    Looks like the Suzi Q will be their high-end fat bike for the immediate future. Website doesn't show the specs on the Blizzard -30, but I assume Deore or SRAM NX? Still a great bike.
    The website does have specs. It lists Deore.

mtbr member
    Must have missed that. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So my 2017 -50 may be a collectors item?
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567