Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Arv
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yes, The Stock bike off the show room floor. Mulefut 82mm rims - bike frame is a medium - I'm about 5'-10". On this morning commute - 40km/hr (down hill) and no signs of rubbing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Will it fit Bud/ Lou on 100mm rim's? Couldn't find any information on there site.

Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    That RSD Mayor seems to the be best value out there "Complete 1×10 80mm Bluto Fork: CAD $2399.00 MSRP / USD $2249.00 MSRP" and it fits Bud/Lou and 29+ wheels.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Will it fit Bud/ Lou on 100mm rim's? Couldn't find any information on there site.
    I can't imagine how it wouldn't...I have minimum 8-10 mm clearance all around with Lou on the stock rim
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Tubes or tubeless? Does not look like it would fit on a Clownshoe.. Bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by Arv View Post
    Yes, The Stock bike off the show room floor. Mulefut 82mm rims - bike frame is a medium - I'm about 5'-10". On this morning commute - 40km/hr (down hill) and no signs of rubbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Don't be such a downer man! Within the last 24hrs we have been told Lou doesn't fit in the rear, only to be shown it does (pics for proof too).

Don't be another virus spreading poison, until you know for sure it doesn't fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by prebonked View Post
    Bud fits fine on the Bluto. Lou will not fit on the rear. It's too tall! This has been confirmed.
    Looks like you got some bad info, and even worse is that you posted it here. EVEN WORSE than that is your info may have convinced a few people to not buy this bike, based on your false statement.

You owe a few people and apology.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Looks like you got some bad info, and even worse is that you posted it here. EVEN WORSE than that is your info may have convinced a few people to not buy this bike, based on your false statement.

Maybe it doesn't if the frame was a small? Seen it happen, what say you prebonked?

Edit: Only the seat stays should be effected with different size frames.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey, try not to misunderstand my post. I would like it to fit and I would like to know for sure, in the pictures he posted it looks very close. Not spreading any poison here, maybe it's the angle but there does not appear to be much margin for error. On my own bike Bud fits the rear on a 90mm rim but not a 100mm rim.

Don't be such a downer man! Within the last 24hrs we have been told Lou doesn't fit in the rear, only to be shown it does (pics for proof too).

Don't be another virus spreading poison, until you know for sure it doesn't fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey, try not to misunderstand my post. I would like it to fit and I would like to know for sure, in the pictures he posted it looks very close. Not spreading any poison here, maybe it's the angle but there does not appear to be much margin for error. On my own bike Bud fits the rear on a 90mm rim but not a 100mm rim.
    I would have a hard time thinking that 18mm width difference is going to make a tire grow that much. If I remember, a member posted the width difference of lou on 80/100 is 3mm. But I don't remember if that was tubeless.

mtbr member

Don't know what else to say dude. 2015 Blizzard. Large frame. Tubeless setup. Surley Lou tire. DIDN'T FIT! Too tall. SAW IT IN PERSON AT THE BIKE SHOP. If it did fit I'd be riding it today.
    False statement? You think I've got nothing better to do than sit around making this **** up? Just trying to give guys a heads up so that they can make an informed decision.
    And if you're the one that dinged my reputation on here, maybe you've got some apologizing to do?

mtbr member
    Fat tires can vary significantly in size based on pressure. If someone pumps up a 5" tire to 25 psi [which is a normal skinny tire pressure] and does a test fit it might not turn in the frame. At a normal operating pressure of 8 psi it might be fine. Manufacturing tolerances can also contribute to different results.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

aka bOb
    Maybe Ben Wa welded that one different

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Don't know what else to say dude. 2015 Blizzard. Large frame. Tubeless setup. Surley Lou tire. DIDN'T FIT! Too tall. SAW IT IN PERSON AT THE BIKE SHOP. If it did fit I'd be riding it today.
    False statement? You think I've got nothing better to do than sit around making this **** up? Just trying to give guys a heads up so that they can make an informed decision.
    And if you're the one that dinged my reputation on here, maybe you've got some apologizing to do?
    I am the one who left you the neg rep, because it appears you have made false statements. You "claim" that lou doesn't fit, but yet we have evidence via pictures that it does. I am not sure what the setup was at the shop you were at, but something is not making sense. Maybe the frame was different in some way, or the shop had 20psi into the tire.

Post pics of your experience showing the issue, and proving there isn't more than 12psi, and I will retract my statement. Until then my opinion will remain unchanged.

You won't be getting an apology from me any time soon, and the comment in the neg rep you left me isn't going to help you either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Maybe Ben Wa welded that one different
    That guy better have a nice set of balls to be doing something like that!!

aka bOb
    That guy better have a nice set of balls to be doing something like that!!
    Rock hard man rock hard!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141126_184949_128.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141126_185023_587.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141126_184615_361.jpgSo on the topic of snow tires, I took blizzy out in the snow for the 1st time wed night. Had a blast, but tire traction wasn't quite as good as I was expecting. Mind you this was my 4th ride on my 1st fat bike and 1st time in the snow, so not a lot of experience to draw on.. Was hoping to get some feedback on these tires (bulldozers) in the snow? Trying to figure out if it was me, the wet snow, psi, the tires or a combo of all of these.
    Also, I've definitely noticed a lot of self steer on my 1st few rides. Is this these tires or just par for the course on a 4.7 tire at 6 psi..

Any thoughts are appreciated as I'm already thinking about buying new tires. Maybe bud & lou's.. LoL. Speaking of which, I'll buy your lou off you prebonked.
    Was even starting to think about a studded dill5 up front and lou on the back?

Ringwood State Park,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Rider View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141126_184949_128.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	942491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141126_185023_587.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	942490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141126_184615_361.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	942492So on the topic of snow tires, I took blizzy out in the snow for the 1st time wed night. Had a blast, but tire traction wasn't quite as good as I was expecting. Mind you this was my 4th ride on my 1st fat bike and 1st time in the snow, so not a lot of experience to draw on.. Was hoping to get some feedback on these tires (bulldozers) in the snow? Trying to figure out if it was me, the wet snow, psi, the tires or a combo of all of these.
    Also, I've definitely noticed a lot of self steer on my 1st few rides. Is this these tires or just par for the course on a 4.7 tire at 6 psi..

Any thoughts are appreciated as I'm already thinking about buying new tires. Maybe bud & lou's.. LoL. Speaking of which, I'll buy your lou off you prebonked.
    Was even starting to think about a studded dill5 up front and lou on the back?

Ringwood State Park,

Nice! Nothing like a nite ride in the snow.

Lol on the Lou. "Lou" was out workin it today on a 9Zero7 frame with all the components, etc. from the Blizzard, minus the Bulldozers of course.

Happy trails..

mtbr member
    Just for comparison I have the Surly Nate tires and no slipping on snow so far and I can climb most snowy hills with the exception of the very long steep hills which cause slippage even in the summer if you're not careful. Braking on snow is also very good.
    I only start to feel self steer when aired down to 8 psi or lower.
    I would run Bud and Lou for winter months if they fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thinking of picking up one of the frame bags. Does any one have any feedback on them?

mtbr member
    I am the one who left you the neg rep, because it appears you have made false statements. You "claim" that lou doesn't fit, but yet we have evidence via pictures that it does. I am not sure what the setup was at the shop you were at, but something is not making sense. Maybe the frame was different in some way, or the shop had 20psi into the tire.

Post pics of your experience showing the issue, and proving there isn't more than 12psi, and I will retract my statement. Until then my opinion will remain unchanged.

You won't be getting an apology from me any time soon, and the comment in the neg rep you left me isn't going to help you either.
    Once again, I know what I saw-- in person. I’m just the messenger here. I only chimed in to try to be helpful to my fellow riders and share my experience. Believe me, I was really looking forward to picking up my Blizzard last Friday with Bud and Lous installed.
    The LBS went to the trouble of ordering a new 907 frame in my size, color of my choice, and exchanging all of the components from the Blizzard along with eating the extra cost of providing the 9Zero7 frame to accommodate my desire for Lou. Kudos to them. Was the tire overinflated? I don’t know, I didn’t put a gauge on it, I assume it wasn’t as this LBS is well known and the owner has many years of experience in the industry and has been building Fat Bikes for quite some time.
    As for pics of the tire not fitting, I don’t have any. However, the LBS took some and sent them to Rocky Mountain.
    In conclusion, I’ve spent way too much time trying to “defend” myself on this topic and am done. Again, just wanted to help.
    As for the negative feedback from you or an apology. Don’t’ care, whateves. If it makes you feel good that you’re a MTBR “cop”, have at it. My suggestion would be to spend some more time riding instead.
    If you want to know any more about this topic I suggest you;
    Figure out from my profile what state I’m from—
    Get on Rocky Mountain’s website—
    Find the dealers in my state—
    Call around until you find the dealer that I worked with and debate it with him/accuse him of “false statements”,etc. I’m sure you’ll be able to teach him a thing or two. After all, as your profile indicates you’ve been riding since 2011. Wow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks like your the downer. You have no more actual fact than me but you gave me negative rep.

Based on the pictures that were shown of a Lou on a 82mm rim with a tube I still feel my presumption is correct. It does not look like Bud or Lou on a Clownshoe tubeless would fit on the Rear of the Blizzard. I would like to be wrong and hope I am.

I have similar clearance on my bike.
    I ran Bud and Lou on UMA II 90mm rims for a good part of the winter last year, pressure varied from 3psi to 10 psi. With a tube in the rear Lou measures 110mm at 9psi, the tires have never been over 20psi and that was just to seat the bead. If I put that same tire on a Clownshoe it measures 118mm at 9psi and does not fit on the rear of my bike. I am afraid my tire would not fit tubeless on the 90mm rim. Here are some pictures of the clearance.

FTW_0047 by bdroit, on Flickr
    FTW_0048 by bdroit, on Flickr
    FTW_0049 by bdroit, on Flickr
    I would have a hard time thinking that 18mm width difference is going to make a tire grow that much. If I remember, a member posted the width difference of lou on 80/100 is 3mm. But I don't remember if that was tubeless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    First impressions: I opted to buy the Rocky Mtn frame bag. It was only drilled for two holes on the top yet there are three bosses on the underside of the top tube. I made the third hole in the bag (used a soldering iron to melt the hole in the fabric) and had to slot two of the holes in the plastic insert to make it fit. IMHO it is overpriced and on the small side but will be useful.

After four weeks: still liking the bag. Once on it is not a quick remove item like a Velcro attached bag would be. So far carried tube, gloves, and food. Right side pocket is big; left is long and narrow. Access is easy. Can fit small water bottle on down tube.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anyone had the rear hub nuts loosen? There appears to be nothing to lock the nuts in a desired position. I snugged them hand tight plus 1/8 turn and hoping the throughaxle will keep things tight, though I could have tightened further. Shop didn't have a clear answer about how tight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm getting a lot of self steer on dry dirt. I've tried everything from 4 to 20 psi, and it still gets it. I'm going to switch to tubeless in the hopes that the lower rotational mass will lower the gyroscopic feel. I'll probably end up getting an angleset to see if head angle will reduce some of the self steer feeling. I am so used to slack head angles (65-66*) that this thing feels pretty much like a cyclecross bike to me. That being said, it climbs like a mountain goat.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 12-02-2014 at 03:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Having horrible self steer issues here as well...I think its the direction of the tires. I reversed the rear tire and it tracked virtually dead straight with 9.7psi, front was still everywhere. Going to reverse the front one and see what happens

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    cool, keep us posted. I thought all my self-steer was due to the front tire alone, but now you've got me wondering if the rear is contributing to it.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    I'm getting a lot of self steer on dry dirt. I've tried everything from 4 to 20 psi, and it still gets it. I'm going to switch to tubeless in the hopes that the lower rotational mass will lower the gyroscopic feel. I'll probably end up getting an angleset to see if head angle will reduce some of the self steer feeling. I am so used to slack head angles (65-66*) that this thing feels pretty much like a cyclecross bike to me. That being said, it climbs like a mountain goat.
    To raise the front end and slackein, I'd put a 120mm cartridge in the fork before I tried an angleset. Cheaper and easier.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    You do realize you'll need a pint of Stans sealant to go tubeless,....which is heavier, a tube or pint of Stans? Granted the excess Stans will stay around the area of the contact patch but that's A LOT of fluid.

I was real close to popping on a XL Blizzard today at my local LBS, when talking tubeless I determined this bike would not get enough daily use even during winter months here in the SE to justify tubeless maintenance with refreshing the Stans and would stick with tubes. But I haven't committed to buying one yet, really feel I need a Carbon Hardtail back in the quiver before a Fat Bike, but the other part of me says the Fat Bike will be good endurance training with all that mass moving around as fast as I can for 1.5 hours 1-2 nights a week.
    SB5.5c XL M70HV EagleGold
    BearGrease Bluto XL XTR 2x10/1x
    SB95c L EnveAM Pike140 XTR 3x10
    ASRc L RS-1 120 EnveM60 XTR 1x11

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Stock OE Surly Tubes weigh in the neighborhood of 450-500g, (1lb) which is the same weight of a pint of Stan's. Maybe I'll try to get away with a little less Stan's. Tubeless may not be the right answer to shave weight, but it definitely won't be any heavier than what I'm running right now. Hopefully with the liquid sitting at the bottom of the tire it won't self steer as much. Who knows, it'll be a cheap experiment.

I need to look into lighter tube options as well and then weigh my options.

I've read that others have saved over .5 lb per wheel by going tubeless. I'll have to see if there really is any weight savings to be had. I may just run a lightweight 26x2.4 presta tube, I've heard others have success with that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Concerning the "self steer" issue: I have 4 years and almost 4000 miles riding and commuting fat. Mostly on a 9 zero 7. My feeling is that the blizzard has much less self steer. I believe all fat bikes have it to some degree. I am pleased that my blizzard minimizes it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    About the stock tubes on my Blizzard, weighed in at 560. Replaced them with Bontrager 2.5-2.7 tubes at 280. Easy way to shed .6# per wheel. 0 problems over a couple of years on 4.0 tires and none so far with these 4.7s. My guess is that tubeless might save only another 100g or so per wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good info, thanks. The self steer only bothers me when I'm above 15 mph on twisty singletrack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by some dude View Post
    You do realize you'll need a pint of Stans sealant to go tubeless,....which is heavier, a tube or pint of Stans? Granted the excess Stans will stay around the area of the contact patch but that's A LOT of fluid.

I was real close to popping on a XL Blizzard today at my local LBS, when talking tubeless I determined this bike would not get enough daily use even during winter months here in the SE to justify tubeless maintenance with refreshing the Stans and would stick with tubes. But I haven't committed to buying one yet, really feel I need a Carbon Hardtail back in the quiver before a Fat Bike, but the other part of me says the Fat Bike will be good endurance training with all that mass moving around as fast as I can for 1.5 hours 1-2 nights a week.

No need for a pint of sealant in tubeless ready rims and tires. I'm running 6 oz per tire. I've ran between 5 and 9psi dependant on the conditions and have not lost any air pressure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Had a great night snow ride tonight. Two Blizzards, One Pug and one Borealis...all getting a long fine Fat biking is such a fatabulous activity.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141203_202954575-medium-.jpg

I converted my Blizzard's front tire to tubeless two days ago and it has held well. Followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVgiEYmD8Zk Yes socked feet work for getting tire off.

Once we hit the snow, I lowered my tire pressure. Buddy had a new digital gauge that measures down to 0.1 psi, so I used it to measure my front(tubeless) tire. I had went a bit low down to 2.6 psi. I rode it at that pressure for about 2 miles of mostly climbing without any problems. I put a bit of air back in for the downhill return section. I used three cups of stans; about a half a cup leaked out before I got it too seal. The tire bead is so tight in the rim that I am not too worried about it burping.

The other Blizzard has been tubeless for over two weeks.
    Dropped the pressure in my rear to 3.5psi.

One more thing. I contacted Rocky as I wanted to put on a 22T chainring on the Blizz. They replied quickly. Here is what they told me. The stock chain ring is a special design narrow-wide ring they had Race Face make for them. It is also offset for better chain line on the Blizz. So no 22T for me unless I put a front derailleur on and try normal chainrings. May also consider 40T rear cassette conversion.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sounds like the Sun rims are easy to set up tubeless but not so easy to remove the tire. Is that with the stock tires. I think V tires have a little stiffer sidewall than Surly and 45 North tires.

Thats good info about the chainring. Rocky clearly put a lot of thought into the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Had a great night snow ride tonight. Two Blizzards, One Pug and one Borealis...all getting a long fine Fat biking is such a fatabulous activity.

Name:	IMG_20141203_202954575 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	943830

I converted my Blizzard's front tire to tubeless two days ago and it has held well. Followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVgiEYmD8Zk Yes socked feet work for getting tire off.

Once we hit the snow, I lowered my tire pressure. Buddy had a new digital gauge that measures down to 0.1 psi, so I used it to measure my front(tubeless) tire. I had went a bit low down to 2.6 psi. I rode it at that pressure for about 2 miles of mostly climbing without any problems. I put a bit of air back in for the downhill return section. I used three cups of stans; about a half a cup leaked out before I got it too seal. The tire bead is so tight in the rim that I am not too worried about it burping.

The other Blizzard has been tubeless for over two weeks.
    Dropped the pressure in my rear to 3.5psi.

One more thing. I contacted Rocky as I wanted to put on a 22T chainring on the Blizz. They replied quickly. Here is what they told me. The stock chain ring is a special design narrow-wide ring they had Race Face make for them. It is also offset for better chain line on the Blizz. So no 22T for me unless I put a front derailleur on and try normal chainrings. May also consider 40T rear cassette conversion.

urmb

mtbr member
    May also consider 40T rear cassette conversion.

urmb
    That is the way to go, either 40t or 42t inexpensive mod.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ^about that: noob to parts, etc. I like the 1x10 and the low gearing but I wish I could just have one or two larger gears as I find the high end isn't enough - are you talking about a whole new rear cassette or is it possible to remove and replace a couple of sprockets?

mtbr member
    this is what I am talking about. OneUp Components Canada - OneUp Components CANADA
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    went 36-22 - 2x10 on the blizzard. probably the best upgrade you could do to the bike, especially if you have to ride to/from your trails. the normal race face turbine chainrings are offset. all the narrow-wide design was for was to try to keep the chain on the chainring better running 1x10.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Last edited by mfc1972; 12-09-2015 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    this is what I am talking about. OneUp Components Canada - OneUp Components CANADA
    This exactly. Thanks!

mtbr member

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by mfc1972 View Post
    @urmb, came across these folks, Granny Gears, according to the website they make a 22T narrow wide granny.
    I also am concerned about low gear. My Moonlander has a 22chainring/ 36 cog. Wanted to duplicate it on the Blizzard. Are you saying the 24t chainring can be swapped out for the 22 with no problem? Most of my riding is slow. I'm in the 22 and mostly the 5 inside cogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member

I brought my wheel to my LBS(Rocky Mt. dealer)today to have the hub looked at. Got talking about how "Lou" didn't fit on the rear of the Blizzard and that there was a doubter on this forum. He just sent me these two pictures of my wheel, the original off of the 2015 Blizzard, with a Lou installed, 8 PSI, mounted on a Blizzard frame he has in his shop. Yes, it's true..it still doesn't fit.

For those that didn't follow prior, I wound up going with a 9 Zero 7 frame because Lou didn't fit on the Blizzard I originally bought from him.

"jonshonda" if you still think I'm "making false statements"/"spreading poision", etc., give Mike V. a call at Timberline Bikes. 719-635-9772. He'd be happy to confirm it further.

After that maybe you'll "man-up" with an apology and remove the bad rep you gave me?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-10822549_10203431573765994_1125350781_n%5B2%5D.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-10841218_10203431573165979_602715333_n%5B2%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thank you prebonked for sharing the pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ^ what size blizzard is that?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics of the issue, would love to know the frame size for future reference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Last edited by mfc1972; 12-09-2015 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    He previously posted that it was a large.

mtbr member
    I brought my wheel to my LBS(Rocky Mt. dealer)today to have the hub looked at. Got talking about how "Lou" didn't fit on the rear of the Blizzard and that there was a doubter on this forum. He just sent me these two pictures of my wheel, the original off of the 2015 Blizzard, with a Lou installed, 8 PSI, mounted on a Blizzard frame he has in his shop. Yes, it's true..it still doesn't fit.

For those that didn't follow prior, I wound up going with a 9 Zero 7 frame because Lou didn't fit on the Blizzard I originally bought from him.

"jonshonda" if you still think I'm "making false statements"/"spreading poision", etc., give Mike V. a call at Timberline Bikes. 719-635-9772. He'd be happy to confirm it further.

After that maybe you'll "man-up" with an apology and remove the bad rep you gave me?
    Dude, trying to get honda-boy to man up is going to prove impossible for you. I hesitate to call him a troll, but he has a lot of troll-ish tendencies. And he can neg rep me all he wants for that.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Any issues with the Bluto in the cold weather? LBS is saying they will not hold up in the cold.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejjo View Post
    ^about that: noob to parts, etc. I like the 1x10 and the low gearing but I wish I could just have one or two larger gears as I find the high end isn't enough - are you talking about a whole new rear cassette or is it possible to remove and replace a couple of sprockets?
    Are you looking for lower or higher gearing? 42T in the back gets you lower. If you want to go the other way, 26T (or larger) in the front can give you a higher top end. AbsoluteBlack has 26T NW that looks like it would be a drop in for the stock 24T 64BCD. Thinking about that or trying a 30T NW in the mid ring position with no front derr, hand shift when needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Dude, trying to get honda-boy to man up is going to prove impossible for you. I hesitate to call him a troll, but he has a lot of troll-ish tendencies. And he can neg rep me all he wants for that.
    Lol, I'll give him a chance.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Lol, I'll give him a chance.
    Thanks.
    The worst part is that he sometimes gives really good, spot on info. But other times...dang man, no social skills at all. Of course, I'm kinda trollin' right now myself aren't I? I don't even have a Rocky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    Thanks for the pics of the issue, would love to know the frame size for future reference.
    I just called the shop. The pictures are from a Med frame. Mine was a large but of course didn't fit either. Shop says the chainstays are the same dimensions on both size frames.
    Mike V., the Rocky Mountain dealer, said to call if any of you guys want to talk about it. 719-635-9772.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Any issues with the Bluto in the cold weather? LBS is saying they will not hold up in the cold.
    I've ridden mine in the single digits F and I only notice a negligible difference. It's a little less active, as you would expect, but still works fine. (My bluto is not on a Blizzard.) I only have a few rides in the extreme cold so I can't speak to longevity, but performance is fine.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mfc1972 View Post
    @canoe, I would never definitively say anything on this forum, somebody is bound to tear you a new one if they think you are wrong. At any rate, as far as I can tell the only thing that makes this drivetrain "custom" is the use of a narrow wide granny which is not commonly available. I would think that a smaller ring would work as long as it's a N/W, and chain length is adjusted accordingly.
    I was confused about the part that said the 24T NW is offset for better chain line. It sounds like RM is saying that a standard 22T, not being offset, would not be optimal for chain line.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just called the shop. The pictures are from a Med frame. Mine was a large but of course didn't fit either. Shop says the chainstays are the same dimensions on both size frames.
    Mike V., the Rocky Mountain dealer, said to call if any of you guys want to talk about it. 719-635-9772.
    I spoke with Mike today, nice fella he is! We talked about prebonked's frame, and he said that he thought it was a 2014 frame, not a 2015. He said the 2015 will take 2 lou's butt to gut, no prob. He also mentioned that prebonked preferred to ride w/o a saddle, and never lubed anything on his bike......ANYTHING!! He also found it interesting that his handlebar grips smelled like astroglide.

Ok, so some of that isn't true.

Ok, all of it.

Prebonked, I am sorry that your bike doesn't take a Lou, but am guessing you love the 9ZERO7. Is it a 2015?

I ride a 9zero7, so you really can't be too mad at a fellow 9z7 owner.

aka bOb
    The chainstays will be the same but the seat stays will be a little different between sizes. They have to be as the seat tube gets shorter the down tube gets lower which also shortens the seat stays and brings em down at the same time which puts that little arch support thing closer to the tires. Jeez we should be done with tire fitting issues, that was so 2012.

aka bOb
    I will give PB a little pos to make up for Jon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Arv View Post
    Yes, The Lou "DOES" fit the rear, see attached. I figured the Rocky guys would have tried the Lou on the Rear of the 2015 for sure. Studded 5" Dillinger on the front with room to spare.

Yes, the bike is dirty; Daily Commuter.

Attachment 942152Attachment 942153Attachment 942154

Why does it fit with room to spare on this guys bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Wa wa, hey what about me? He neg ripped me too.....

aka bOb
    Wa wa, hey what about me? He neg ripped me too.....
    Done but any further request must be made through paypal in the form of a donation to my favorite charity AKA ME.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Okay okay.

I thought you were having trouble with that offshore account though.

Done but any further request must be made through paypal in the form of a donation to my favorite charity AKA ME.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hamtaro View Post
    went 36-22 - 2x10 on the blizzard. probably the best upgrade you could do to the bike, especially if you have to ride to/from your trails. the normal race face turbine chainrings are offset. all the narrow-wide design was for was to try to keep the chain on the chainring better running 1x10.
    What derailleur did you use?

urmb

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Taking the chainring discussion a little bit further down the trail, I took off the 24T wide-narrow chainring to try a standard 22T chainring.

This is the stock wide narrow chainring
    Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141205_011019943-medium-.jpg

All I had was a used Shimano 9-speed 22T chainring.

I measured the distance from the rear frame mounting point (for the front derailleur) to the inside of the chainring as best as I could with my caliper. The standard chainring sits ~2-3 mm more to the outside then the stock "offset" chainring. In the work stand it shifted well to all gears. I rode it around the yard and it shifted fine and the chain stayed on.

Will report on trail ride once it happens.

urmb

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What derailleur did you use?

urmb
    shimano xt fd, the dedicated 2 chainring one. they are designed for 38t min chainring so it sits a wee bit high with the 36, but still works. raceface use a different offset on their chainrings than shimano do. I could only see someone having issues with the offset differences if you ran shimano rings as a 2 or 3x10 setup on the raceface crank.
    Don't ya love the non inclusion of a self extracting crank bolt! come on raceface this is 2014!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    See....now bOb is just your run-of-the-mill rep whore. He gives it to everyone. In fact, so many people get it from him, he is willing to take money for it.

Just like when you bagged that loose girl in high school/college. If felt really good at first, and you were proud of yourself. Then the high wore off, and you realized that you are just another stain on her sheets. The next day you feel the need to get tested, and when you get the results...NEG REP!!

Don't go chasin' water falls.

mtbr member

Taking the chainring discussion a little bit further down the trail, I took off the 24T wide-narrow chainring to try a standard 22T chainring.

This is the stock wide narrow chainring

Name:	IMG_20141205_011019943 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	944167

All I had was a used Shimano 9-speed 22T chainring.

I measured the distance from the rear frame mounting point (for the front derailleur) to the inside of the chainring as best as I could with my caliper. The standard chainring sits ~2-3 mm more to the outside then the stock "offset" chainring. In the work stand it shifted well to all gears. I rode it around the yard and it shifted fine and the chain stayed on.

Will report on trail ride once it happens.

urmb
    I'll be interested to see how the trail test goes.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

aka bOb
    Okay okay.

Just I minor hiccup but up and going again

Just like when you bagged that loose girl in high school/college. If felt really good at first, and you were proud of yourself. Then the high wore off, and you realized that you are just another stain on her sheets. The next day you feel the need to get tested, and when you get the results...NEG REP!!

Don't go chasin' water falls.
    True story and it was that test where they stick that little barb wire thingie in the end of you know what, at least I wasn't alone there where a few other guys from the same chick there to keep me company.. Well that wasn't the worst thing they lost the test so they had to do it again. Also not the worst thing I had to tell my girlfriend at the time that she also needed to get tested and that really didn't go over so well. On top of it all they told me the test wasn't 100% accurate so I had to take the meds anyways, so why not just give me the meds and skip the test? Ah wasn't college fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ramshackle View Post
    Are you looking for lower or higher gearing? 42T in the back gets you lower. If you want to go the other way, 26T (or larger) in the front can give you a higher top end. AbsoluteBlack has 26T NW that looks like it would be a drop in for the stock 24T 64BCD. Thinking about that or trying a 30T NW in the mid ring position with no front derr, hand shift when needed.
    After the higher end, so thanks for commenting (also made me spend a ton of time reading and learning). If I changed out to a 26T do I need a different bash plate?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fejjo View Post
    After the higher end, so thanks for commenting (also made me spend a ton of time reading and learning). If I changed out to a 26T do I need a different bash plate?
    I think you will have plenty of coverage for a 26T with the stock bash ring.

urmb

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Self steer update: have now got both tires reversed and given it a good test on single track, rutted dh, soft dirt/pine needles, tarmac road. It is a completely different bike, self steer basically disappeared to the point that you only notice the side lugs grabbing on ruts. I can not say if you loose traction as I didn't run them the correct way long enough to make a judgment. Running 8psi front and 9psi rear, 50mm stem and 720 wide bars on a small frame. Basically feels like a fat tyred 29er.

It only has 10mm gap at seat stay bridge so i'm guessing lou's won't fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    OK here is the trail review for using a standard 22T chainring replacing the narrow wide 24T stock chainring. Reason: want lower gear.
    Installed a brand new unused, fresh RaceFace RR64 x 22 Team chainring. Before the ride, I took the bike out and bounced it until my wrists hurt, rode over curbs and launched off curbs hard in the lowest and the highest gear to see if I would loose the chain. Chain stayed on without even a small goldfish fish fart of movement.

I rode with the chainring on my most difficult snow ride so far this year (1900+ feet of climbing, 2hours&42 minutes moving, 12.4 miles). Rode on the following: on pavement, low snow year so far. Snow on road. Runners packed path. Snowshoe people tracks on trail. Runners tracks on trail. Packed singletrack. Packed slot car track (only option frozen tire width rut). Crusted snow. etc.... Couple of short root launches(foot or less) Fast choppy sections from frozen runner tracks (liking the Bluto on these sections). I stayed mostly in third gear with 1st and 2nd used on several steep climbs. Shifted down before and during climbs.

Bombing back down the road I got into gear 10. Also swerved into runner pocked snow sections to see if the chain would come off. Rear derailleur clutch was engaged.

Quick summary: Drivetrain works fine with a 22T Raceface chainring. Chainline at chainring is outward ~3mm from stock set-up.

Any guesses as to why Rocky made the narrow-wide? Maybe as the chain stretches performance will change?

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-af2-dec-6-2014-medium-.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-af6-dec-6-2014-medium-.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-af10-dec-6-2014-medium-.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-af12-dec-6-2014-medium-.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-af30-dec-6-2014-medium-.jpg

urmb

mtbr member

Excellent report. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    they made the narrow-wide so the chain wouldn't drop off as easy

mtbr member
    My Rocky Mountain Vertex drops the chain all the time, maybe thats why they did not go 2X10, they haven't figured it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    have had no issues with the 2x10 on my blizzard. 1x10 and 1x11 seems to be the in thing at the moment. there were a few companies back in 2001/2002 doing 2x9...cannondale and ritchie spring to mind

mtbr member
    Rocky Blizzard frame bag is on sale Blizzard custom frame bag - Rocky Mountain Bicycles

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've been borrowing a friends XL Blizzard the past couple of days and only real pedal time I've been able to get on it was around a very soft grassy field in sandy soil and a very small portion of a sandy Hare Scramble course Sunday. The 24 tooth seems way too short for me. I run a 36 tooth on my XC 1x10 with a 40 tooth OneUp conversion. I'd be inclined to go 26 or even 28 tooth on a Blizzard and do a OneUp kit on it with 42 tooth big ring for the really slow climbs. I pretty much stayed in the top 3 gears the 3 or so miles I pedaled his bike with stock front ring. Granted I'm riding in GA and would be using as a back-up/something different to ride on wetter winter leafy day type rides with an occasional sandy ride in FL through out the rear but primary use would be scouting out my Hare Scramble races day before the race as walking them takes to darn long and being used up moto/dirt bike tracks a conventional MTB is not as practical.
    SB5.5c XL M70HV EagleGold
    BearGrease Bluto XL XTR 2x10/1x
    SB95c L EnveAM Pike140 XTR 3x10
    ASRc L RS-1 120 EnveM60 XTR 1x11

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So despite the conflicting reports I decided to pull the trigger on a set of Bud & Lou's (wasn't thrilled with the Bulldozers in the snow) and find our for myself if they would fit. Just got off the phone with my LBS and they fit!! I have a Med frame. I will post a pic of the clearance after I pick her up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good to hear. Based on Surly's listed tire dimensions they should fit(http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...Geometries.pdf). Diameter: 759 mm. Radius is 379.5 mm. 379.5 mm x 1 inch /25.4 mm = 14.9 inches. If you do not have a Lou already, measure from the rear wheel drop out center to the seat stay arch. Should be greater than 15 inches. Based on this, a Lou will fit on my large Blizzard.

urmb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Rider View Post
    So despite the conflicting reports I decided to pull the trigger on a set of Bud & Lou's (wasn't thrilled with the Bulldozers in the snow) and find our for myself if they would fit. Just got off the phone with my LBS and they fit!! I have a Med frame. I will post a pic of the clearance after I pick her up.
    Hey EC,

Curious if your tires are setup tubeless. Sumpins weird with this situation as I'm sure you've seen the pics I posted of Lou on a med Blizzard not fitting,(didn't fit the large either)and the pictures of somebody else's apparently fitting fine. I don't know...
    Maybe I've got a mutant Lou? Anyrate, glad it's working out for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    And the plot thickens for prebonked and the case of the "no room for Lou" saga.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Speedway in Anchorage said there is no problem getting a bud or Lou to fit when I was there looking at one yesterday. I was looking at the small to upgrade from my current low budget fat bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Idea!

my small blizzard measures 15.5" from drop out center to seat stay arch. Do the surley measurements include the tread or is that just the bare casing measurements. If its just the casing measurements then by the time you add tread on its going to be a really tight fit.

Duh answered my own questions by clicking on the surley link!
    Last edited by hamtaro; 12-10-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: updated

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hey EC,

Curious if your tires are setup tubeless. Sumpins weird with this situation as I'm sure you've seen the pics I posted of Lou on a med Blizzard not fitting,(didn't fit the large either)and the pictures of somebody else's apparently fitting fine. I don't know...
    Maybe I've got a mutant Lou? Anyrate, glad it's working out for you.
    Just got back from the shop. Its currently set up with a tube at max PSI. The new tire hairs are are just brushing the seat stay arch. Didn't want to go tubeless until I got a few rides in on the new rubber. Will post a pic in the light tomorrow, unless I go shred some POW on the mtn instead. Thank You Ullr! Keep it coming

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Finally picked up a Lou. Wow those Bulldozers are hard to get off the Mulefut rims after being set up tubeless. So I mounted the Lou on the rear wheel with a tube in. Tire pressure is around 15psi. See pictures.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-lou-blizzard-5-medium-.jpg

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-lou-blizzard-2-medium-.jpg

Chain Stays
    Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-lou-blizzard-6-medium-.jpg

I pumped the Lou up to almost 28-30 PSI to see what would happen and it did start to rub in one spot on the seat stay arch. The Lou is also out of round more than I expected. This is twice the Surly pressure max level.

I set it up tubeless and put it back in at high pressure. It fit in better tubeless than tubed at high pressure.

urmb

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Good job!

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_4137.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_4138.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_4139.jpg

Got my Blizzard today and yes Lou does fit a Medium frame by a .25" on eatch sides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just for fun I would love to see one on a ClownShoe.

Quote Originally Posted by remchab View Post

Name:	IMG_4137.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	945947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4138.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	945948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4139.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	945949

Got my Blizzard today and yes Lou does fit a Medium frame by a .25" on eatch sides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nevermind
    Last edited by floorguy; 12-14-2014 at 10:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What the weight of the blizzard with the aluminum fork? Size small. It looks like that will be the right size for me 5'7" 29"inseam

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think it weight around 32 pounds you can save two by going tubeless.
    I am 5'8" and I choose the medium size the best you can do is to try them both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by remchab View Post
    I think it weight around 32 pounds you can save two by going tubeless.
    I am 5'8" and I choose the medium size the best you can do is to try them both.
    Thanks, I had seen the 32 pound number earlier but the pictures accompanying all had bluto's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Anyone put a ground control on the rear of a Blizzard yet?

urmb

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Lou update. My lou fit on the rear when first installed. See my pictures in an earlier post. Since riding it around the yard (haven't even taken it on a real ride yet) and making it tubeless, it is out of round in one spot by the label by a bit over 1/4 inch. Enough so that it rubs about 6 center knobs on the seat stay arch. They do not rub enough to stop the tire when pedaling but enough to stop a slow spin of the tire with the bike in the stand. I have tested high, medium and low pressures and went back to a tube and it still rubs. Anyone have a Lou stretch or similar anomally? I have checked the bead to rim seal and it is good. I am taking it back to the LBS.

Back to the Bulldozer which at least seals a lot better to the Mulefut rims.
    urmb

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    urmb this is certainly uncommon I'm riding my LOU at 6psi. And after 6 hours of riding it stays in place with no scubbing yet.
    Maybe you should have the Ground Control it's a pretty good tire too.

mtbr member
    Good afternoon fellas, long time listener, first time caller....

I don't have too much to add to the discussion. I am having hub issues as well, which will hopefully get sorted by my LBS next week when I bring it in.

Anyway, those with a size large frame can save some $$$ over the Porcelain Rocket bag by modifying a size small Relevate Designs Tangle Bag ($68). There wan't much room to spare so I think that those with a smaller frame may not have much luck.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-bidad42blizzard-1280x724-.jpg
    "All this corncob pipe smoke is irritating my stab wounds"

aka bOb
    Okay okay.

Lou update. My lou fit on the rear when first installed. See my pictures in an earlier post. Since riding it around the yard (haven't even taken it on a real ride yet) and making it tubeless, it is out of round in one spot by the label by a bit over 1/4 inch. Enough so that it rubs about 6 center knobs on the seat stay arch. They do not rub enough to stop the tire when pedaling but enough to stop a slow spin of the tire with the bike in the stand. I have tested high, medium and low pressures and went back to a tube and it still rubs. Anyone have a Lou stretch or similar anomally? I have checked the bead to rim seal and it is good. I am taking it back to the LBS.

Back to the Bulldozer which at least seals a lot better to the Mulefut rims.
    urmb
    Fat tires will stretch and grow a little with time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just for fun I would love to see one on a ClownShoe.
    2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, size Large, with 100mm wide Surly Clown Shoe rim and 4.8" Lou tire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1jDCYKABzQ

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast