Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    I am about 5'10 + with long legs; the large fits me well.

urmb
    I am 6' 1" and went with the L to keep it on the playful side. I have 100 miles on her now and am happy with it. I did however add 785mm x 1 1/2" riser bars to it for the last 50 miles which makes it much more enjoyable for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: Any reports on the Blizzard

And......drumroll please..... My newly assembled rocky mountain blizzard! We's gonna have some fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm still waiting on mine. It should be in before the end of next week.
    Last edited by SI-I/-\I\IE; 11-01-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Auto correction correction.

mtbr member

Any reports on the Blizzard

LBS got some in. I'm going Monday to take a serious look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

turtles make me hot
    I just went to the store to pick up some parts and they have one on the floor. VERY nice bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

Any reports on the Blizzard

Anyone figure if the Blizzard will take fenders or is the mud shovel the only option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I
    I'm 5.8. 29 inseam. Med fits well with adequate stand over height

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i got my blizzard today!!!! to bad its raining out for me to go ride it on the trailsRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0734.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0735.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Rocky Mountain Blizzard.. got mine today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg 
Views:	2355 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	936419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg 
Views:	2332 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	936421

have not rode it yet other than building it and checking everything. the day i bring it home it rains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0735.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0734.jpg  

Rocking on a Rocky
    Cool.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Don't let the rain stop you, dress for the occasion, slap a couple of mud shovel fenders on it and ride it in the rain, that's part of the fun of having a fat bike. Get out, ride and love the ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ^ this

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm still waiting for mine to arrive at the LBS. It is comforting to see people getting them. It looks awesome in those pictures!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    anyone have any sizing advice? I'm 5'6" with a short inseam (29"). I can't decide between a small or a medium.

I ride a Medium SC nomad and a Small Cotic Soul 26 (16")

Muskoka
    Nice! What's the weight?
    https://picasaweb.google.com/113125576961447749127

RSD Bikes The Mayor
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Look at the frame dementions on RM's site. I am 5'9.5 with a 31-31" inseam and I purchased a small. It's peraonal preference and I could have gone medium with the a blizzard but, I prefer smaller frames. Again it depends on the manufacturer in my opinion. RM small and med frames are fairly close. I have two rides on it and so far so good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah, their small seemed really tall. Their small has a 16.9" seat tube. That's huge for a small. That being said, it also has that little extra gusset where the seat tube meets the top tube, which adds an inch or two. So it's a little confusing for me. I'm leaning towards a small though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    Yeah, their small seemed really tall. Their small has a 16.9" seat tube. That's huge for a small. That being said, it also has that little extra gusset where the seat tube meets the top tube, which adds an inch or two. So it's a little confusing for me. I'm leaning towards a small though.
    I think the small would be your best choice for you. Can't beat and test ride though. I was going to get the Med until I looked at the specs. I am glad I went with the small.

My only complaint so far is that the tires are 72TPI and not the 120TPI as per RM's site. So beware of the online components list.

mtbr member
    Did you get the bike with Bluto or without that came with 72 TPI?

mtbr member
    I was wondering about sizing as well. Just got off the phone with my LBS and he said I would definitely be a large. I am 6 foot with a 31 inseam.
    Are you guys measuring inseam with feet apart? I dont have short legs but everyone seems to think 31 inseam is short for 6 foot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I purchased the rigid fork for winter riding in AK. I will add a Bluto for the warmer months. The stand over on the small gives a little extra room with boots on. I will measure my inseam straight and apart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The first rule of FatBike Club is don't believe any product ETAs.

The second rule of FatBike Club is never sell the old fatbike until the new fatbike is here and you are sure you love it.

The third rule of FatBike Club is your Ultimate Forever Uber Fatbike build will be obsolete next Tuesday.

The fourth rule of FatBike Club is whatever is wrong it's Surly's fault.
    Oh so true!!! Just sold my "forever bike that I'll never sell" that I had for a whopping 6 months only to buy a new "forever fatbike".....which isn't here yet!! Like others though, I took the opportunity to dump it when somebody offered me way more than they should have, and with standards changing and no thru axle in the rear it was a pretty easy decision. But no more,,,,, THIS new fatbike I'm keeping forever

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ishpeming View Post
    I
    I'm 5.8. 29 inseam. Med fits well with adequate stand over height
    There is some discussion on sizing in this thread.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike

mtbr member
    I took a Blizzard (standard w/ Bluto) for a spin this afternoon around the block. I'm about 5'11 and rode a medium. I thought the fit was pretty good.

The bike looks good; but even a bit too understated/stealth sitting next to the Ice Cream Truck.

The Vee Bulldozer tires are pretty good, but they're not as big or chunky as Bud and Lou on 100mm. The bike has a great spec on paper and it shows in person.

Here are my really basic "rode around the street" impressions.
    -Riding position felt more aggressive than the 2014 Mukluk I test rode. I think the bars are lower.
    -I liked the 1x10 setup and prefer the Shimano shifter to the SRAM X5/X7 shifters I've tried. The lowest gear is really, really low. I was able to spin it out in top gear in the flat.
    -Hydraulic brakes/levers felt a lot better than the BB7 brakes on the 2014 Mukluk.
    -I wasn't able to manual the bike but I'm a pretty bad rider so that doesn't surprise me. I didn't want to loop it on a test ride but I'm sure with enough effort the front would come up.
    -The Bluto felt as good as you would expect riding around on the street. It didn't feel any better/worse than the Recon Silver on my 4 year old full suspension bike.

The Bottom Line is that I really like the bike but it's probably out of my price range. Comparing it ($2700) to a $1800 Mukluk isn't a fair comparison but it's the only other fatbike I've ridden. For my money I would probably get the Deore spec'd version with the rigid fork for $1900 and then buy a Bluto in the Spring/Summer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    For my money I would probably get the Deore spec'd version with the rigid fork for $1900 and then buy a Bluto in the Spring/Summer.
    That is my plan. Rigid for winter and, bluto for thr warmer months.

mtbr member
    The supposed proper way to measure inseam is with shoes off and feet 6 to 8 inches apart.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    The supposed proper way to measure inseam is with shoes off and feet 6 to 8 inches apart.

I just picked up mine yesterday. It looks great, still waiting on the Nextie wheels to be built up. Shops that just got them in the area are noticing the shortness of the Top Tube, and many are looking at one size bigger than what they'd normally get. Coming from a Tallboy LT, which also has a really short Top Tube, it feels about the same, with the seat jacked all the way back. People coming from a bike with a longer TT though might find it cramped though. I have a L blizzard and I'm 5'11" 1/2.

mtbr member
    rode one around the shop last night.. I'm 5 10 with 31" inseam and I rode around on a med. top tube is really short to me, and I would feel more comfortable on a large.. which is what I usually ride for my reg trail bike
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    I hate feeling cramped on a bike, but I also have to think about riding singletrack in the winter and straddling a large frame top tube when my feet sink in the snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SI-I/-\I\IE View Post
    I think the small would be your best choice for you. Can't beat and test ride though. I was going to get the Med until I looked at the specs. I am glad I went with the small.

My only complaint so far is that the tires are 72TPI and not the 120TPI as per RM's site. So beware of the online components list.
    Where on the site does it say it comes with 120 TPI?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    Where on the site does it say it comes with 120 TPI?
    It was there, they changed it recently. I checked the site almost every day before I received mine. Also the LBS said they changed things. When this bike was first announced I swear RM said it woukd have a carbon fork also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I knew I was not crazy.
    It was there, they changed it recently. I checked the site almost every day before I received mine. Also the LBS said they changed things. When this bike was first announced I swear RM said it woukd have a carbon fork also.

aka bOb
    I hate feeling cramped on a bike, but I also have to think about riding singletrack in the winter and straddling a large frame top tube when my feet sink in the snow.
    So when your feet sink into the snow 4-6 inches do you really think the 3/4 inch difference in standover really going to make that much of a difference?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I prefer the TT to be on the short side as I like to pick the front up and put it down where I like while seated. Sometimes if I am leaning hard or take a sharp turn and the front tire doesn't feel locked in I will pick up the front while straightening up the rear and placing the bike where I like. Everyone does this I may or may not be explaining it clearly. I like my frame on the small side so I can ride fairly aggressively without moving all over the bike and getting off the seat all of the time. RM's small is closer to a Medium or right in the middle. I like the small at 5'9.5", 30-31 inseam. It provides a comfortable seating position and control without being cramped. My measurements suggest a medium but, it would have been to big for my riding style and RM's frame sizes.

SI-I/-\I\IE

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    A lot of the sites previewing the Blizzard back in April when it was announced have screen grabs from the site's spec list, none of them have the TPI.

mtbr member
    I'm exactly the same as you. Small.
    anyone have any sizing advice? I'm 5'6" with a short inseam (29"). I can't decide between a small or a medium.

I ride a Medium SC nomad and a Small Cotic Soul 26 (16")
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL

mtbr member
    I rode a medium yesterday, it's huge! I had plans of ordering a small but the paint really turned me off. To some people it may not be a big deal but on a 2700 dollar bike I want a nice looking finnish. It's not a matte finnish more like a ****ty flat clear coat. BTW I'm 5'6" too.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looked at the Blizzard today. Thinking of purchasing one as my first fat bike. I like the 1 by 10 gearing but am concerned with the low gearing. The high gear of 24 front 11 rear is very low. Any thoughts on this? My other 26 inch mountain bikes have a high gear of 32 front and 11 rear which I use. Any impressions of the gearing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog11 View Post
    Looked at the Blizzard today. Thinking of purchasing one as my first fat bike. I like the 1 by 10 gearing but am concerned with the low gearing. The high gear of 24 front 11 rear is very low. Any thoughts on this? My other 26 inch mountain bikes have a high gear of 32 front and 11 rear which I use. Any impressions of the gearing?
    For me I want a lower gear. Rode my Blizz 16 miles with several steep climbs (2748 feet of total climbing). My legs were fried. Guess I got to find a way to get in better Fat Bike Shape. Can you imagine putting your fat bike on an indoor trainer Haven't checked yet but hope I can put a 22t up front. As for the bike, it rides well. Trail had some snow with mostly frozen tread. This was my first real ride on the Blizz. My how those tires can self-steer (resist steering seems more accurate) on smooth tread and asphalt. Rode at 9-10 PSI in the rear and 13-15 in the front w/Bluto.
    The Pacific Northwest Native American influenced design is grand. Frame looks well built, clean welds, solid when cranking (My riding weight is about 180 lbs.). I will add more chain stay protecting tape as I had a few chain hits in front of the factory wrap where the chainstay bends around the tire. Also going to tape over the internal cable routing holes so ants don't build a nest in the frame and to keep water out. Bottom bracket has a hole (drain hole?) on the bottom side. Overall very pleased with the bike.
    urmb

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141108_075122_250%5B1%5D.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141108_075157_704%5B1%5D.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141108_080747_782%5B1%5D.jpg
    Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141108_080908_848%5B1%5D.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141108_080943_674%5B1%5D.jpg
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    where is that URMB? It looks like my neck of the woods. In fact, it looks EXACTLY like American Fork Canyon with Mt Timpanogos in the background.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 11-09-2014 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    I rode a medium yesterday, it's huge! I had plans of ordering a small but the paint really turned me off. To some people it may not be a big deal but on a 2700 dollar bike I want a nice looking finnish. It's not a matte finnish more like a ****ty flat clear coat. BTW I'm 5'6" too.
    I think the paint is awesome! Personal preference.

mtbr member
    I might go check one out tomorrow, don't know about the gearing though?

mtbr member
    I think the paint is awesome! Personal preference.
    I really wanted to like this bike. Maybe if they they would of had a small I would of felt different.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    where is that URMB? It looks like my neck of the woods. In fact, it looks EXACTLY like American Fork Canyon with Mt Timpanogos in the background.
    Bingo! Lookout on Ridge Trail 157 before Mud Springs.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sweet, I ride there a lot. I'm glad to see a local blizzard rider. Hopefully I get mine soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sweet, I ride there a lot. I'm glad to see a local blizzard rider. Hopefully I get mine soon.
    Purchased mine at Utah Mountain Biking in Lehi. SBR in Orem and Slim and Knobbys in Heber have some. Sent you a PM.

urmb

Muskoka
    They just got in the Blizzard Deore at my LBS, the large weighed 32.4 lb without pedals
    https://picasaweb.google.com/113125576961447749127

RSD Bikes The Mayor
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    That is my guess 32.5ish lbs
    Dang!

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Why wouldn't it?
    There's plenty of pics with Bud/Lous on them...
    funny, all the pics I have seen with bud on front have a nate on back
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Well I got to try out this bike today, was expecting to be blown away but was disappointed, not sure why, it was a small although it did not feel small, wasn't cramped or anything but wish they would have had a medium to try. I think the tires were overinflated, so that may have something to do with it. Also I don't think I'm a fan of 1X10?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast