Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Been riding mine hard for the last week. Put together a little video of the bike being built and ridden.

mtbr member

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike

Great video. Is that New England? Maybe New Hampshire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    great video!

Muskoka
    Yep...nice video, nice bike
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Rossland, BC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have one on order, wanting to replace my moonlander with something a bit more aggressive but so far reviews don't sound to favourable?? Might have to cancel and get on the fatboy waiting list. Keep the reviews coming guys.

mtbr member

I did a short ride on one and loved the Bluto but found the ride in the rear very harsh compared to my Moonlander.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBoothe View Post
    Been riding mine hard for the last week. Put together a little video of the bike being built and ridden.

Nice work, enjoyed the video very much, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I did a short ride on one and loved the Bluto but found the ride in the rear very harsh compared to my Moonlander.

I felt the same thing in the rear. I test rode a different brand right after, that I thought I would hate and to my surprise that bike felt great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks for the comparison report! I actually broke the rear end on my moonie, that's why I am looking for a more aggressive type riding build, a bit scared of breaking the warranted frame once i get it back. Would have loved to try one before buying, from some of the posts it sounds like handling is questionable for some?? also wondering if the blutto is intended for cold winter riding or more for summer XC type riding??

Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    And what brand was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    I felt the same thing in the rear. I test rode a different brand right after, that I thought I would hate and to my surprise that bike felt great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaud View Post
    thanks for the comparison report! I actually broke the rear end on my moonie, that's why I am looking for a more aggressive type riding build, a bit scared of breaking the warranted frame once i get it back. Would have loved to try one before buying, from some of the posts it sounds like handling is questionable for some?? also wondering if the blutto is intended for cold winter riding or more for summer XC type riding??
    The blizzard has aggressive geometry. It is one of thd reasons I bought it. Just because a few of you don't like aggressive frames doesn't make the blizzard a **** bike, it's personal preference. By the way the fatboy has aggressive geometry also. In my opinion the blizzard beats the fatboy in features and weight. They had to stick a 135mm carbon fork and, smaller tires just to hit the same weight as the blizzard with 4.7 tires and an aluminum fork. Check the specs! I think the fatboy is a nice bike but, the blizzard is superior, in my opinion. Purchase what you like however, bashing thr blizzard for it's aggressive frame is lame!

mtbr member

I rode and ICT right after the Blizzard. Even fully rigid it felt better.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    I also rode the Blizzard and the ICT back to back and posted my impressions here:Surly ICT thread - Page 5- Mtbr.com

They're both nice bikes and they're the same price. It's a hard decision.

-I give the ICT the edge on tires but I actually prefer the Mulefut rims to the clown shoe for ease of tubeless setup

-on the street the rigid ICT felt less darty. The comparison is kinda pointless because I can't test ride the bikes on the trail where the Bluto matters.

-the Blizzard feels snappier.

Unfortunately my LBS doesn't have the deore Blizzard. I think that model is an excellent value and I'd like to check one out in person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaud View Post
    And what brand was that?
    fatboy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've done three rides on the Blizzard, 50 mi, 27 mi, and 11 mi (the last 11 on the most technical terrain around where I live). I've done well over 2k mtb miles this season and my main bike (SC TBLT) was in the shop for ~ 2 months. I am liking the Blizzard a lot so far. It corners really well, grips very tightly, and is very comfortable on the downhills and in the air. Coming from my 69.5 HA on my TBLT, it is taking some adjustment to ascend short steep hills and get up and over steep rock obstacles. I am considering an angleset to get it closer to the geo on the TBLT, but will give it a few more rides before doing so. The angleset would decrease the wheelbase a little too which probably wouldn't hurt. The tires are pretty solid so far, excelling in cornering traction and faring pretty well on slow climbs. Overall coming from a Carbon sub 28 lb mtb frame I can def feel the weight on the longer rides, but I will be putting on some Nextie's and going tubeless soon, which should also improve the climbing. The bluto smooths things out up front and allows for more aggressive riding for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I love the Pacific Northwest Native motif.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Road one today and it's a top contender. I have to say I really like the front suspension.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    fatboy.
    I also demo'd the fatboy before buying the blizzard. 60+ miles on dirt. The blizzard rides and feels more like a mountain bike. Self steer is much worse on the Fatboy (could be the tires). The Fatboy does climb better though. Both great bikes though can't go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Michaud,

I test rode quide a few bikes and the Blizzard was at the top of the list.Right now

1. Blizzard
    2. Fat Boy
    3. ICT

are my maybes

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks, for your assessment! Did you get a chance to try them out in snow or mostly dirt?

Very hard to make a choice without having the chance to demo them, your comments are much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by opdev View Post
    Michaud,

I test rode quide a few bikes and the Blizzard was at the top of the list.Right now

1. Blizzard
    2. Fat Boy
    3. ICT

are my maybes

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here are a few geometry numbers that are interesting to see for the different bikes. All numbers were taken from bike company websites and for the Large frame of each model.

Bike Head Tube Angle Seat Tube Angle Chain Stay Standover Effective Top tube
    Blizzard 68.5 73 455 740 610
    Fatboy 70.5 73 455 820 625
    Mukluk II 68.5 73 447-464 786.3 625
    ICT 68 72.5 450 807.8 630
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Blizzard First impression

Hi Folks,

Here's some impressions from my first Blizzard XT ride last night: In fact, my first fat-bike ride as well... just bought it.

I have to ride roads to get to the trails and boy did that feel weird! I see what the commenters are talking about now. The gyroscopic effect of those huge rotating masses is very noticable. At first I was fighting the handlebars to turn, but by the end of the ride home I had figured out that I have to exaggerate the lean into a turn to initiate it more smoothly. No split-second course corrections on this bike, at least not on paved surfaces. Off-road it was a lot more comfortable and seemed much more nimble. It was a bit icy last night and I was on leaves a lot but no skidding out anywhere. Perhaps the slippery surface let me turn the tire easier, which makes me think that on pavement it might not be the gyroscopic effect as much as the contact patch being so large and so sticky that it fights twisting forces. Kind of like trying to turn a rubber dinner plate lying on asphalt.

Gearing is low indeed. I was easily able to max out the speed and coasted a lot on the way to the trails, but after a while I just accepted the maximum speed and rode at the bike's pace. It's still a workout, as my heart rate attested to, but just not the speed we've become so used to. A different kind of riding, which is why I bought this to start with, I guess. I found a few sharp uphill trails and damn does that puppy climb. I was glad I was running SPDs because I needed that smooth pedal stroke to keep the rear tire from spinning out on the leaves. I never did use the lowest gear, but one could probably climb a tree stump with it. It will come in handy in deeper snow no doubt. Gotta say I like the Bluto. Only 100mm travel but with the tires it sure makes it plush up front.

I rode the bike as set up by the shop because I was so eager to get out and play with it, but I'll need to tweak the cockpit quite a bit. Those stubby SLX brake levers need to be a lot closer to be usable with lobster-mitt gloves on and the angle of the handlebars is such that they droop down right now. I'll also install a pair of Ergon Grips and stub-ends for better hand warmth and control in the cold as well. I'm going to make Sugru plugs for the open cable-routing holes to keep water out, but I like the cable routing and the clean downtube. The top-tube studs were very handy for routing my lights cable from the water bottle battery on the seat tube. Beautiful finish and graphics on this bike too.

The thing is heav-y. With lights, close to 35 lbs. Reminds me of the first CCM "mountain bikes" from the late '80s. Those big-ass steel framed bombers we'd taco wheelsets on a few times a year before we could afford a decent bike with a front shock. Kinda shows how spoiled we've become with our lightweight FS rides now, tackling terrain like a comfy couch. This bike does take me back to a simpler time, which is kinda ironic considering it's state of the art...

Cheers,

CC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curiously-coherent View Post
    Hi Folks,

Here's some impressions from my first Blizzard XT ride last night: In fact, my first fat-bike ride as well... just bought it.

I have to ride roads to get to the trails and boy did that feel weird! I see what the commenters are talking about now. The gyroscopic effect of those huge rotating masses is very noticable. At first I was fighting the handlebars to turn, but by the end of the ride home I had figured out that I have to exaggerate the lean into a turn to initiate it more smoothly. No split-second course corrections on this bike, at least not on paved surfaces. Off-road it was a lot more comfortable and seemed much more nimble. It was a bit icy last night and I was on leaves a lot but no skidding out anywhere. Perhaps the slippery surface let me turn the tire easier, which makes me think that on pavement it might not be the gyroscopic effect as much as the contact patch being so large and so sticky that it fights twisting forces. Kind of like trying to turn a rubber dinner plate lying on asphalt.

Gearing is low indeed. I was easily able to max out the speed and coasted a lot on the way to the trails, but after a while I just accepted the maximum speed and rode at the bike's pace. It's still a workout, as my heart rate attested to, but just not the speed we've become so used to. A different kind of riding, which is why I bought this to start with, I guess. I found a few sharp uphill trails and damn does that puppy climb. I was glad I was running SPDs because I needed that smooth pedal stroke to keep the rear tire from spinning out on the leaves. I never did use the lowest gear, but one could probably climb a tree stump with it. It will come in handy in deeper snow no doubt. Gotta say I like the Bluto. Only 100mm travel but with the tires it sure makes it plush up front.

I rode the bike as set up by the shop because I was so eager to get out and play with it, but I'll need to tweak the cockpit quite a bit. Those stubby SLX brake levers need to be a lot closer to be usable with lobster-mitt gloves on and the angle of the handlebars is such that they droop down right now. I'll also install a pair of Ergon Grips and stub-ends for better hand warmth and control in the cold as well. I'm going to make Sugru plugs for the open cable-routing holes to keep water out, but I like the cable routing and the clean downtube. The top-tube studs were very handy for routing my lights cable from the water bottle battery on the seat tube. Beautiful finish and graphics on this bike too.

The thing is heav-y. With lights, close to 35 lbs. Reminds me of the first CCM "mountain bikes" from the late '80s. Those big-ass steel framed bombers we'd taco wheelsets on a few times a year before we could afford a decent bike with a front shock. Kinda shows how spoiled we've become with our lightweight FS rides now, tackling terrain like a comfy couch. This bike does take me back to a simpler time, which is kinda ironic considering it's state of the art...

Cheers,

CC
    Thanks for your review of the ride. It's nice to read off-road ride reports. Unfortunately I'm only able to test-ride on the street which doesn't leave a great impression.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks, great comparison, from what I see, the blizzard has a slacker head angle than the fatboy hence less twitchy, I like that! Shorter top tube probably improves handling as well over the spech.

Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Here are a few geometry numbers that are interesting to see for the different bikes. All numbers were taken from bike company websites and for the Large frame of each model.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by curiously-coherent View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I'm going to make Sugru plugs for the open cable-routing holes to keep water out, but I like the cable routing and the clean downtube.

CC
    I did not know what Sugru was, so I looked it up. Looks like great stuff. Any experience with its durability? Thanks for posting.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Science. Excellent pile of numbers. We need more of this kind of info-jiggin. Please feel free to initiate all-knowing-master-fat geo archive sequence...terminating at full spectrum of current offerings + 1...loading...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm glad to hear the mostly positive views on this bike. I've got a large Deore coming this Wednesday, according to the retailer the first in the UK. Review to follow as soon as I can get a ride in on it. No snow yet so it'll be about the bogtrotting aspects of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    That guy is wearing shorts and tennis shoes riding in da snow!!

I am now turned off.
    In Colorado this is the norm.. If conditions are right, which they are a few times a year, you can even catch girls in bikinis snowboarding.

Often where I camp if early or late in the season at 10,500’ elevation it usually feels like it’s 75 degrees out, real temp around 50. Once the sun goes down.. you’re putting on pants, heavy jacket, gloves and still freezing your ass off..

Anywho, cool looking bike! I like it a lot!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I haven't ridden a blizzard yet, but based off the numbers, I typically prefer a shorter chainsay, shorter seat tube, and longer top tube. I wouldn't even mind a 67* head tube. That being said, I'm the exception, not the norm. PLUS, the numbers on a page only tell part of the story. Actually riding it is a totally different animal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    In my case, it was far from what I was wishing for. Falling in love with numbers is not a good thing. No Rocky for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Finally got a chance to ride my blizzard and I am very happy with it so far. It's my first fat bike so it's taking a while for me to get the tire pressures to just the right setting for some of the rockier trails. Debating about getting a carbon fiber seat post to smooth out the ride and a lighter wheel set. Anyone have any suggestions as far as potential upgrades?

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0157.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0158.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0160.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0161.jpg

Muskoka
    ^^ SweeT!! I'm really liking the Blizzard! try 8-10 psi tire pressure. I think they ship at ~ 15 psi. Suspension seat post like Thudbuster are popular on fatbikes, maybe worth a try.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I like this bike a lot.. I’m going to try and locate one to test ride and hopefully buy.

..guess with that said I will be keeping my SUV. I really have the itch to hit some back woods trails and my Dolomite isn’t fitting the bill in terms of safety haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kart_racer3 View Post
    Finally got a chance to ride my blizzard and I am very happy with it so far. It's my first fat bike so it's taking a while for me to get the tire pressures to just the right setting for some of the rockier trails. Debating about getting a carbon fiber seat post to smooth out the ride and a lighter wheel set. Anyone have any suggestions as far as potential upgrades?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg 
Views:	998 
Size:	275.7 KB 
ID:	939464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg 
Views:	2399 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	939465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	939466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	939467
    A carbon seat post won't help with the harsh rear. Not sure the reason for the harsh rear on this bike but noticed that as well. My Mukluk feels like it has a suspension back their. Could it be the tires?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    A carbon seat post won't help with the harsh rear. Not sure the reason for the harsh rear on this bike but noticed that as well. My Mukluk feels like it has a suspension back their. Could it be the tires?
    I was initially surprised by how the firm rear is as well. I honestly expected it to be somewhat plush because of the large tires. The last time out I think I was riding at 6 psi and it wasn't bad, but was nervous about being that low. Do you think tires would be the main influence?

mtbr member
    I honestly don't know but run about 9 psi in the front and 8 or so in the rear on Surly Nates. No self steer and the rear feels good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Sugru = Wonderstuff

I did not know what Sugru was, so I looked it up. Looks like great stuff. Any experience with its durability? Thanks for posting.

urmb
    Pardon for the small thread-jack here, but I was asked.

Sugru is just amazingly versatile stuff. I've been using it for years. It's a self-setting rubber compound. Comes in a pack with a play-doh moldable consistency and once exposed to air, cures to a solid, yet still pliable silicone-like finish. You use it to fix stuff or make things better. I've created a flashlight mount for my commuting helmet, custom mounts for gadgets, patched my shoes and rain-covers and so much more. The stuff stays pliable and waterproof in all temperatures. I used it to fix the strap on an old favourite sports watch, made handles for bathroom cabinets, patched my wife's wellies, the stuff is great. So many things I've fixed instead of thrown out or replaced. So many things I've made work better. I'm a super fan. There are hundreds of uses on their website and they have a magnet kit that's giving me a ton of ideas too.

Using it to make plugs for the downtube cable holes is great because I can remove them later if I ever want to use a front derailleur. I can mold them exactly to the fittings and make them smooth and waterproof. As for durability, it lasts a long time. I just snapped part of a watch band I fixed two years ago. Just patched it up and it's good to go again. It's great for the temple pads on the arms of my riding glasses too. Makes 'em a lot more comfortable. Handy stuff.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Cheers, CC

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If anyone is looking for a way to accurately gauge their fat-tire air pressure, I recently bought a great low-pressure presta air guage on eBay that measures from 0-15 psi.

Accu Gauge Fat Bike Tire Presta Valve Dial Low Air Pressure Gauge Max 15PSI | eBay

I'm hoping it will help me experiment with air pressure on the trail. That and a CO2 inflator, naturally.

Cheers,

CC

mtbr member
    Cool! Thanks for posting the accu gauge ebay link. I've been looking for that exact one but they were sold out everywhere i looked. Good ol ebay...
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2006 Stumpjumper FSR International
    1994 Kona Kula
    1992 Diamond Back Response comp

mtbr member
    May 2007

Blizzard

The Blizzard is a fun ride! No regrets on selling the Pugsley–the Blizzard with the Bluto rides like a mountain bike. Upgraded brakes, dropper post, bar and stem to my specs-lovin it! Hope the rear hub doesn't explode with my 200lbs and steep climbs.

Has anyone gone tubeless with the Blizzard? Obviously the outer rim edge needs to be taped to cover the rim holes however I'm questioning if the center wrap is air tight. Any beta out there? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fernieoldgoat View Post
    The Blizzard is a fun ride! No regrets on selling the Pugsley–the Blizzard with the Bluto rides like a mountain bike. Upgraded brakes, dropper post, bar and stem to my specs-lovin it! Hope the rear hub doesn't explode with my 200lbs and steep climbs.

Has anyone gone tubeless with the Blizzard? Obviously the outer rim edge needs to be taped to cover the rim holes however I'm questioning if the center wrap is air tight. Any beta out there? Thanks!
    I just converted mine to tubleless over the weekend. I've only ridden it once so far, but it seems to be holding up. I'm not completely convinced about how well it last in the long haul, I used tape on the rim and rim holes, but if I press on the square "bubbles" of the center wrap some stan's and air will seep out. This is the first fat wheel and tire I've converted to tubeless so I may be overlooking something that more experienced people may already know how to deal with.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Did you tape the entire rim or just the sides to cover the holes? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-image3.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-image5.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-image9.jpg

Took 3.5 lbs off the bike w/ Nextie/ Rims/Sarma Hubs/Tubeless set up. 3.5 lbs off the rolling weight makes a world of difference, bike rides so much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-image1.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-image2.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-image4.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-image7.jpg  

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-image8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I injected silicon in the last 2 holes each side of the rim join jonction this way it close the circuit. So now, no air is leaking from the joint.
    And then couple of turn of a fiber tape to keep everything from popping out. couple of turn of electric tape on the nippples, couple of turns of clear duct tape and finish with construction red vapor tape. no stan for now

edit: forgot to add, at the end put tire and tube, inflate at 30psi. This way all the tape layers will be pressed together, and let it rest for the night.
    Remove tube from one side of the rim and pour some brew.

Loser
    I just saw one of these at the LBS. Impressive looking bike and nicely outfitted for the price. If I didn't have a Fatboy, this bike would be on my list for sure.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	939668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5.jpg 
Views:	2074 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	939659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image9.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	939664

Took 3.5 lbs off the bike w/ Nextie/ Rims/Sarma Hubs/Tubeless set up. 3.5 lbs off the rolling weight makes a world of difference, bike rides so much better.
    Very nice!! What are your thoughts on that half-frame bag...is it roomy enough to be worthwhile?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I wanted to experiment with air pressure levels on the Bliz, so went high last ride. Had only a light snow fall (around an inch with no old snow). I pumped up to ~20psi. Did a 16 mile ride with 3048 vertical feet of climbing. Bike handled predictably. trails had roots, rocks (snow and leaf covered) sweet buff sections and many tight turns. Had a few slide outs on bigger wet rocks but never went down. On the fast smooth sections of frozen trail tread, I flew past my bud with 5 psi in his tires. Still getting use to fast turns with the big tires. More lean and more scanning and planning ahead. Severe off camber side hill sections are a bit more challenging with the big tires too. Next ride going to try the 5psi range.

Istone84--thanks for posting the pictures of your ride. Nextie rims look nice. What is your total weight with dropper and bag?

urmb

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Very nice!! What are your thoughts on that half-frame bag...is it roomy enough to be worthwhile?
    Yes, I am liking the frame bag alot. I've never rode with one before but I'm finding it very useful and convenient for a variety of uses.

I wanted to experiment with air pressure levels on the Bliz, so went high last ride. Had only a light snow fall (around an inch with no old snow). I pumped up to ~20psi. Did a 16 mile ride with 3048 vertical feet of climbing. Bike handled predictably. trails had roots, rocks (snow and leaf covered) sweet buff sections and many tight turns. Had a few slide outs on bigger wet rocks but never went down. On the fast smooth sections of frozen trail tread, I flew past my bud with 5 psi in his tires. Still getting use to fast turns with the big tires. More lean and more scanning and planning ahead. Severe off camber side hill sections are a bit more challenging with the big tires too. Next ride going to try the 5psi range.

Istone84--thanks for posting the pictures of your ride. Nextie rims look nice. What is your total weight with dropper and bag?

urmb
    Interesting. I started out riding with 8 PSI front and rear and was liking it a lot. I wanted to try a little higher so I went up to 11 PSI and a few minutes into the ride I took a nasty fall over the bars crawling along in a rock garden. Subsequently I put the front to 6.5 and the rear to 7.5 and did a 65 mile ride and loved it. I also weigh 210 lbs and am on the 90mm Nextie's now.

The weight with frame bag, dropper, and Shimano XT PD-M785 Pedal pedals is 32.5 lbs. Those pedals are almost a pound and the frame bag is 1/2 lb.
    Last edited by lstone84; 11-18-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Muskoka
    did you guys get any discount from msrp from the lbs? i'm guessing not since they are just out and starting to ship? how about on the frame bag?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    did you guys get any discount from msrp from the lbs? i'm guessing not since they are just out and starting to ship? how about on the frame bag?
    A bit on the bike and more (% wise) on the bag. LBS said Rocky was really pushing the bags on him with his bike order; maybe they made too many...

urmb

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Really like the Rocky for a number of reasons, but I test rode the rigid version the other day and on one steep climb I stood and really cranked on it and heard a bad noise from the back end, what I suspect may have been the freehub slipping??? Anyone else gotten this to happen? I can't think of what else it would have been.

I like the bike a lot: thru axle front and rear, 1x 24t, and slacker head angle, and what I think are decent tires.

Muskoka
    A bit on the bike and more (% wise) on the bag. LBS said Rocky was really pushing the bags on him with his bike order; maybe they made too many...

urmb
    Thanks!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    Really like the Rocky for a number of reasons, but I test rode the rigid version the other day and on one steep climb I stood and really cranked on it and heard a bad noise from the back end, what I suspect may have been the freehub slipping??? Anyone else gotten this to happen? I can't think of what else it would have been.

I like the bike a lot: thru axle front and rear, 1x 24t, and slacker head angle, and what I think are decent tires.

My LBS pulled apart the freehub when they built the bike to clean out an excess of thick grease on the pawls. They did this so that it would not have problems in the winter. Even with this, the freehub has been skipping sometimes when I go from coasting to pedaling. Not putting much power down, just spinning up the cranks. They pulled it apart again and there's metal shavings that have appeared. I'm still riding the bike and they've ordered up a new freehub body from Rocky.

I did go tubeless with 72mm wide 3M 8898 tape. Put two layers on, starting on one side of the bead to cover the holes in the edge of the rim, then running the tape over to the other side cover those holes. Used stan's valves and 6oz of stans per tire. They aired up easily and I've had no problems.

Lost a combined 1.8 pounds. The inner tubes weighted in at 550 grams a piece.

I do think that they screwed up the location of the water bottle bosses on the down tube. The downtube bosses are too close to the BB. There's no way to run a bottle cages on both the downtube and seat tube at the same time. When you look at the photos on their website, you can see that the three bottle cage bosses on the downtube are mid-tube, as they should be.

Apart from that, I'm really happy with the handling of the bike. It's doesn't feel like a boat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I guess the frame bosses are intended for frame bags as well as for bottle cages. Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-blizzard15_bisalla.jpg
    Got the Blizzard with Bluto fork last week. Compared to my Moonlander it is behaving sluggishly at slow speed but feels really good when speed builds up. Tyre pressures and slacker angles affect the feeling. So far I have not considered the rear any harsher than that of the Moonlander. I'm thinking about changing to tubeless soon, with Mulefut rims that should be easy.
    This is my 4th RM Blizzard, after 3 steel MTB frames, 2 of which are still in my stable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Great looking bike, thanks for the review. Came at a great time. I have a 2013 moonie and I broke the frame (right chain stay) I think from stress of pedalling standing most of the time(higher gears and increased torque). So now I have a XL blizzard on order. I was thinking it might be more suited for aggressive riding and higher torque tolerance in the rear end. But now some of the reviews talk about freehub slippage, harsh rear, and self steer so I am not so sure anymore. I am also wondering if snow capabilities are as good as the moonlander. A lot of question marks there. Nice to hear from the perspective of a moonie owner. Other than the harsh rear did you notice freehub slippage or self steer and what are your thought on snow capabilities vs moonie?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsusram View Post
    I guess the frame bosses are intended for frame bags as well as for bottle cages. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blizzard15_Bisalla.jpg 
Views:	1430 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	940283
    Got the Blizzard with Bluto fork last week. Compared to my Moonlander it is behaving sluggishly at slow speed but feels really good when speed builds up. Tyre pressures and slacker angles affect the feeling. So far I have not considered the rear any harsher than that of the Moonlander. I'm thinking about changing to tubeless soon, with Mulefut rims that should be easy.
    This is my 4th RM Blizzard, after 3 steel MTB frames, 2 of which are still in my stable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    hub on mine is defective also, noticed it just a few minutes into the first ride. I had a replacement wheelset already being built, but I am waiting to hear back from RM so I can sell the original wheelset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Took Blizzy out for her maiden voyage today. Happy to report that I had zero issues with the hub.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141122_120533_176.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141122_120615_938.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks really good. Mine comes on Monday. I can't wait to take it out.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This grease caused skipping and destroyed the pawls in my first hub on my Blizzard. The grease is most likely summer only and became too stiff at -15c. The wheel was replaced by my dealer (yeah dealer) and has been cleaned and lightly oiled.
    This is my third bike this year that I have had rear hub issues with: Niner WFO with Stans hub, Intense Spider with Easton and now Rocky. Trek, DT and others are also experiencing hub failures.
    I'm getting tired with this cost cutting tactic of using inferior parts.
    It has to reflect on the brand.
    With my Canfield Nimble 9 I specked the parts and built with quality Made in the US hubs, and have experienced no issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Finally got into real snow with the Blizzard. Buddy converted his Blizzard to tubeless with Gorilla tape; had zero problems. Said it was real hard to take off the tire, but found a you tube video with someone jumping on the tire with their feet to release tire bead.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-up-spiro.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-blizzard-zenning-snow.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-blizzard-tree-pose.jpg tree poseRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-proper-attire.jpg
    proper attire, in the 30s on the climb...pug pilot Not me.

urmb

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got my blizzard today. Riding around on the sidewalk in front of my house, popping a wheeline, and the rear freehub made a loud ratchet sound, and my cranks slipped 90* before it caught. I'm definitely getting freehub slip, and that's within 30 seconds of riding it.

Is there a fix for this, or is the fix just to replace it under warranty?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    I got my blizzard today. Riding around on the sidewalk in front of my house, popping a wheeline, and the rear freehub made a loud ratchet sound, and my cranks slipped 90* before it caught. I'm definitely getting freehub slip, and that's within 30 seconds of riding it.

Take it back to the LBS. If you take matters into your own hands they can deny you warranty support later if you make the problem worse.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Same with me today, got some slipping with a quick steep climb on a steep grass hill.

All fat, all the time.
    Dang that stinks, good excuse to toss in a hope fatsno

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post

Go warranty and shoot for some kind of upgrade if possible.

I was wondering about the durability of these hubs. I have three serious rides on my Blizzard so far and two easy rides (48.6 miles) with no rear hub problems so far. Coldest temperature has been ~16F.

urmb

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I only rode it for 2 min, but it slipped twice. Both times under pretty high torque pedalling. I'll take it for a ride on a trail and see how it does.

I'll see how the warranty goes. There aren't many 197mm hubs to choose from right now.

Apart from the slipping freehub, I'm impressed with the look and feel of the bike.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 11-25-2014 at 07:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would be absolutely furious if I bought this bike and the hub was defective out of the box. It is not a "grease" issue. In 25 years of riding bikes I have never had a freewheel slip like that, let alone on a test ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've never had an issue like that either in 18 years of riding. I am disappointed to say the least.

mtbr member
    I was out test riding the ICT and Blizz at the LBS with the shop owner a couple of weeks ago. While he was riding the Blizz we heard a loud pop come from the rear wheel. We weren't 100% sure what it was at the time... but it all makes sense now.

Specialized is having the same issue with the Fatboy's rear hub. I hope the root of the problem is a defective run of 'production' rear hubs rather than a lack of testing by companies trying to rush their fatbike to this rapidly growing market.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Took it out today for about 7 miles in The Fells (MA). Loved the bike. Really quick, nice handling and a real beast. Did NOT have any hub slippage today and did a few high torque pedaling stints.

I really like the Bluto.

This bike feels exactly like my yeti 575 with fatter tires.

I rode my friends Mukluk and it's a very different feel. It's like sitting i the cockpit of a tractor. More upright and I felt like I was riding a beach trail cruiser. It's like your in a cage or something. I do like it.

I also like the more compact, nimble cockpit of the Blizzard. Different strokes. I can see adding an ICT to my stable.

I am really glad I got this over the Fatboy, even with the potential rear hub problem. Fingers crossed that I won't have any more slippage.

I am thinking about a few mods already

1) Longer stem to make in somewhere between where it is and the more upright ride of the Surly

2) Maybe but a 100mm rear rim with a Bud/Lou (whatever one is the rear).

3) Maybe add the fork lockout switch for the flat fire roads.

Overall, I think the bike performed flawlessly. Had a little bit of slippage on the big wet roots but so did the guy on the Nate. I think I'll ride a few more times and then decide.

mtbr member
    Opdev, have you test ridden a Farley? I also liked the Blizzard but am thinking of taking a Farley 8 for a spin. I also ride the fells so the feedback on the Bluto is helpful to me. I don't think I want to ride rigid at the Fells...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Can the Blizzard run a rear rack?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    yes I did. Nice bike. I "thought" it could not take 5" tires and I wanted the option to do that so it was not in the running based on that assumption. The Blizzard, Fatboy and Farly have thay MTB feeling compared to the Surly ICT.

ride

Frame/Fork custom build

I just got my Blizzard frame/fork/hubset built up! Turned out great and I can't wait to ride it. 32 lbs and change as you see it. I build this up with the intention that it would be a great snow rig but also a badass all rounder.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141125_145841254_hdr.jpg

Name:  IMG_20141125_145854834_HDR.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  131.3 KB

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141125_145831400.jpg

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141125_150052062_hdr.jpg

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141125_150020542_hdr.jpg
    Surly Bud on a 65mm Marge light rim. I like 80-85mm rims normally but had some Marge Lites laying around. It's not near as wide as a clown shoe, but the profile is a little more tradional mountain bike.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141125_150008627_hdr.jpg
    Went Race Face on almost everything as a nod to RM and our neighbors in Canadia, eh. Also, LOVE Formula brakes. I robbed these T1s off of my singelspeed. And yes, they work fine in sub zero temps.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141125_145956263.jpg
    Chromag Lynx is my favorite saddle of all time. Love this saddle. The newer versions have more of a dropped nose as well.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141125_145940312_hdr.jpg
    35mm bar and stem. Atlas stem (50) and carbon 760mm Next bar

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141125_145925954.jpg
    Turbine cranks for 190 and a 32t narrow wide ring

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_20141125_145909595.jpg
    e.thirteen 42t expander cog. I took out the 17t to get that in there.

Name:  IMG_20141125_145915322_HDR.jpg
Views: 1761
Size:  104.2 KB
    Vee Rubber Bulldozer 4.7 on Marge Lite. Good looking tire.

Break in ride is tonight and I am stoked!
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Well, think I spoke to soon. On ride #3 under heavy torque on steep incline, loud pop from the rear... guess I'll call the lbs tomorrow. Anyone have this issue resolved yet? And if so what was the solution? On the bright side winter storm watch in affect for NJ! Can't wait to test out the snow capabilities tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Listen!

First real ride on my blizzard. About 5 miles, 4" of snow, on singletrack. I didn't have any hub issues. I had a fun ride. This bike climbs really well. I wish the rear cassette had a wider range. The low isn't quite low enough for me. I also wish the head tube were 2-3* slacker, but I realize I'm in the minority there. I also wish the chain stays were shorter.

No doubt it's a super fun bike, but I wouldn't exactly call it "playful" in the sense that a dual slalom bike is playful. Small jumps are ok, but manuals take a ton of effort, and it's practically impossible to bunny hop up a curb on it.

I'm loving the bluto. Not loving the narrow handlebar or the inability to slam the seatpost down.

I love the brakes, fork, tires, wheels, cranks, and the stiff frame.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post

Name:  IMG_20141125_145915322_HDR.jpg
Views: 1761
Size:  104.2 KB
    Vee Rubber Bulldozer 4.7 on Marge Lite. Good looking tire.

Break in ride is tonight and I am stoked!
    Kung fu grip on those tires.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Have I been living under a rock...or what? I have been looking for a new fatty to replace my outdated "by todays standards" '12 9ZERO7. I was looking at getting another 9ZERO7, but man....the build spec on the blizzard blows the 9ZERO7 out of the water.

XT, SLX. Nice raceface, great rims (hubs maybe not soo much). Only thing I sould change out would be the tires (bud and lou). This is really attractive for the price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Will Bud or Lou fit the rear? Looks tight with the Bull Dozer and Marge Lights. I like the frame but am curious about tire fit in the rear.

Have I been living under a rock...or what? I have been looking for a new fatty to replace my outdated "by todays standards" '12 9ZERO7. I was looking at getting another 9ZERO7, but man....the build spec on the blizzard blows the 9ZERO7 out of the water.

XT, SLX. Nice raceface, great rims (hubs maybe not soo much). Only thing I sould change out would be the tires (bud and lou). This is really attractive for the price.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Will Bud or Lou fit the rear? Looks tight with the Bull Dozer and Marge Lights. I like the frame but am curious about tire fit in the rear.
    From these promo pics it looks like they should fit:First Look: Rocky Mountain Blizzard - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here are some tire clearance pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    and a few other pics of this gorgeous bike.

mtbr member

Bud fits fine on the Bluto. Lou will not fit on the rear. It's too tall! This has been confirmed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, that was my fear. For me if a 190mm spaced bike will not take a Lou on a shoe it is a no go!

Quote Originally Posted by prebonked View Post
    Lou will not fit on the rear. It's too tall!
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Thanks, that was my fear. For me if a 190mm spaced bike will not take a Lou on a shoe it is a no go!
    Yep, no go for me as well. Don't want to be limited on tires. This is my first fat bike. Wound up going with an aluminum 907. Picking it up today!

mtbr member
    Bud fits fine on the Bluto. Lou will not fit on the rear. It's too tall! This has been confirmed.
    Do you have a link to where this was confirmed?

Thanks.

Girani2486

Last edited by Girani2486; 02-15-2016 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    That is too bad if a Lou can not fit on the back of the Blizzard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik83 View Post
    I'm also interested in this link. According to some email correspondence I had with Rocky before ordering the bike, they said that both Bud & Lou would fit just fine, same goes for Jumbo Jim 4.8.
    No link. I saw it wit me own two eyes.
    I actually bought a Blizzard at my LBS last week. Asked to change to Bud n' Lous. Tires were ordered. Lou didn't fit. It rubbed on the two cross bars on the seat and chain stays.

Now, this was using the rim that come with the Blizzard. Maybe Lou would fit with a wider rim as it would possibly "spread out" the tire enough possibly reducing how "tall" it is? Don't know...

Muskoka
    Yep, no go for me as well. Don't want to be limited on tires. This is my first fat bike. Wound up going with an aluminum 907. Picking it up today!
    I was so close to buying the Blizzard myself, but decided on RSD Bikes The Mayor instead. Bud & Lou fit it just fine, plenty of clearance. Also The Mayor has SRAM drivetrain. I like grip shift, especially on a winter bike. So I only have to swap out the shifter, not shifter & derailleur. Weighs 31.6 lb with Bud, Lou, and pedals...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Lord Thunderbottom
    I'm pretty darn happy now that the shop I was working with never called me back for my payment information, sometimes being ignored is a good thing
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    That RSD Mayor seems to the be best value out there "Complete 1×10 80mm Bluto Fork: CAD $2399.00 MSRP / USD $2249.00 MSRP" and it fits Bud/Lou and 29+ wheels.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    I had seen the Mayor fat bikes heavily discounted this fall, if I would have realized that they can take a Bud and Lou I may have bought one.

Muskoka
    I had seen the Mayor fat bikes heavily discounted this fall, if I would have realized that they can take a Bud and Lou I may have bought one.
    Probably 2014 bikes being cleared out. Bud & Lou apparently do fit the 2014 but the Lou is a close fit. Here's review for the 2014...

RSD Bikes ? The Mayor Fat-bike Enters the Scene! | FAT-BIKE.COM

For 2015 The Mayor has added numerous rack adapters including on the fork, more clearance for Lou etc. They have also reduced the size and flattened the profile of the brace between the top tube and seat tube, which looks much better IMO.

ps: - not wanting to hijack the Blizzard thread here, there is a Mayor thread BTW

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 11-26-2014 at 05:34 PM.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Arv
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Lou "does" fit !!!!

Yes, The Lou "DOES" fit the rear, see attached. I figured the Rocky guys would have tried the Lou on the Rear of the 2015 for sure. Studded 5" Dillinger on the front with room to spare.

Yes, the bike is dirty; Daily Commuter.

Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0329.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0330.jpgRocky Mountain Blizzard Fat Bike-img_0331.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Awesome, thanks for posting that.

aka bOb
    What size frame? Maybe the brace on the seat stays is lower on the smaller frames which could make Lou to tall? Just a guess but I've seen it happen before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, just a heads up for anyone in perth, Australia. Wembley cycles
    Has a blizzard for test rides. I got a price of 3300$ for medium, they had 1 in stock.
    I went with a sasquatch got a great deal.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hmmm....lou does fit? I am guessing on a 80mm rim?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast